Post STT Autobahn weekend - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Sportbiketracktime.com This forum is the Midwestern home for STT and their riders. Sportbiketracktime.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Slow Poke

Sportbike: BMW Dakar
Years Riding: since '00
How you found us: member

Post STT Autobahn weekend

I was only there Saturday & Sunday. Goodtime, kinda hot, but I didn't see/talk to any other clsb peeps.

Some highlights:

The Desmosedici

Not a great shot of me

I hope the photographer got a couple good ones of me.

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are the legislators."

www.allenskillicorn.com

Follow my views on Life (snarkiness), Liberty (politics), and Pursuit of Happiness (motorsports) on twitter. http://twitter.com/allenskillicorn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 09:27 PM
Viva La Figa!!

Sportbike: negative.
Years Riding: long enough to know better.
How you found us: cycleforums.com

Send a message via AIM to Downforce137
there was a second DesmoRR out there today that wasn't on the track.. man those things are becoming a dime a dozen..

i had a great time, and got to see some familiar faces (nolan, kim, supergirl) i also got to try out my new lap timer(2:53blap) got some footage of Kim trying to pass another 08 1000RR. but i think only 08 1000RR's can pass each other.

i guess my velcro trick didnt fix the clicking on the cam, so it may need some in the case to stop it totally.. lets hope. anyways, that prolly ends my track season unless i squeeze in putnam in a couple weeks.

Last edited by Downforce137; 09-01-2008 at 09:30 PM.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 10:05 PM
shhhhhhhhh!

Sportbike: suzuki
Years Riding: yesterday
How you found us: Nabisco

fun time as usual. Good to see some familiar faces.
Marcin, it was so great pitting with you and thanks for all the help on loading unloading,,,etc.
Thanks to Nolan and Kim for the tools, I took the wheel off got my tires changes and suspension setup put the wheels back on all within an hr, and Kim we will continue our cat and mouse chase next time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 10:13 PM
Kim

Sportbike: '08 GSXR 750
Years Riding: Not long enough
How you found us: hubby's a member!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge View Post
Kim we will continue our cat and mouse chase next time.
Oh, you know it's ON!!

(Just don't get a new 1000RR - I really won't be able to pass you then...)
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 10:36 PM
Addicted

Sportbike: 09 Kawi ZX6R, 75' Yamaha RD250, '13 KTM 350 SX-F, '05 Yamaha Zuma
Years Riding: Not nearly long enough
How you found us: followed the squids

Send a message via AIM to eE jeremy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
Oh, you know it's ON!!

(Just don't get a new 1000RR - I really won't be able to pass you then...)
Damn, you and Nolan did autobahn this weekend too?! I'm jealous!

Shitty Pass Racing #513
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 11:04 PM
Defender of the Innocent

Sportbike: Simon and Garfunkel
Years Riding: over a decade
How you found us: YZFRob

It was a great day!!

Kim, you are a great rabbit!!! And you look awesome on the track.
My laptop is dead right now, so i can't access the video, but as soon I do, I will send you the link.
That guy on the 1000rr always parks in corners, but won't let you pass him even if you manage to have the front wheels parallel at the beginning of the straight.
He breaks early though :-) Follow him for 2 laps, and you'll know where to pass him! (I know it's annoying to follow him LOL)

Great seeing you all! The day is always so short and we don't manage to spend a lot of time together
Chris, I hope we'll get to ride for a bit too!!

Tea Palella
Midwest Instructor

SportbikeTrackTime - SportbikeTrackGear - SportbikeTrackGirl

IMMIGracing
CCS #56 - Arlen Ness Racing, Hindle, Silkolene, Suomy, Woodcraft, Vortex, Sharkskinz, PopShadow, TrackdayMag.com, Cyclepath Racing
ChicagoLand Bikers.com
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 11:12 PM
Viva La Figa!!

if you were riding in I, that's where i was. i dont think i got to look at your track bike, so i never seem to see you
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 11:42 PM

Sportbike: 2006 GSXR 1000
Years Riding: stopped counting
How you found us: google?

great weekend, rode on saturday, I remember you loudes, too bad I didn't get to see you on the track, only in the pits....I just love ur bike

I also loved your dog, I think it was a red doberman. I was pitted closer to the fence, closer to turn 1. I was on a blue R1
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 11:53 PM
Defender of the Innocent

Sportbike: Simon and Garfunkel
Years Riding: over a decade
How you found us: YZFRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downforce137 View Post
if you were riding in I, that's where i was. i dont think i got to look at your track bike, so i never seem to see you
yeah, i was running in I.
next time for sure
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6968.jpg (78.6 KB, 29 views)

Tea Palella
Midwest Instructor

SportbikeTrackTime - SportbikeTrackGear - SportbikeTrackGirl

IMMIGracing
CCS #56 - Arlen Ness Racing, Hindle, Silkolene, Suomy, Woodcraft, Vortex, Sharkskinz, PopShadow, TrackdayMag.com, Cyclepath Racing
ChicagoLand Bikers.com
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 01:21 AM
REDLEG!!!!!

Sportbike: Ducati Diavel Carbon Red
Years Riding: 28
How you found us: tripped over clsb during a drunken stupor

Send a message via Yahoo to lunardog
fun day. still need to work out a few personal bugs at acc. ya know second time there and all. should be sleeping right now but the beer keeps calling me to the fridge.

Operating a motorcycle. So easy, even a caveman can do it. Knowing how to ride? Priceless.

Ray
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 06:29 AM

Great weekend. Was there Sat/Sun both. Def some high speeds in (A) group but as usual great learning tool. Had some close calls going into corners(felt like I was in a race but def didnt want to be racing) but I guess thats part of the deal sometimes. Was great seeing alot of friends. A good friend of mine went down when he was stuffed in the corner but he was ok and thats the best news. I felt bad for him though as it cost him a 500.00 dollar helemet. Not going into the details as the person who caused it was very sympathetic and sorry for what he had done(we all have made mistakes doing this). Takes a hell of man to admit when he was wrong. All in all great weekend thanks STT again for doing a 3 day event and too the track coaches.
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Slow Poke

Sportbike: BMW Dakar
Years Riding: since '00
How you found us: member

Lots of crashes Saturday, less on Sunday. Not sure what contributes to them.

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are the legislators."

www.allenskillicorn.com

Follow my views on Life (snarkiness), Liberty (politics), and Pursuit of Happiness (motorsports) on twitter. http://twitter.com/allenskillicorn
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 07:55 AM
Viva La Figa!!

there was only 1 red flag on monday in I. that was pretty impressive to me.
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 09:50 AM
Got Milk?

Sportbike: 2007 Suzuki GSXR600
Years Riding: To much street not enough track
How you found us: A little server said HELP!!!

Yes it was a great turn out. STT's hospitality was fanastic as usual. Thanks Jen (Truckstop) for the pointers on Sunday. That next session I knew I was finally getting off the bike a bit more. Huge improvements for me and I owe Jen such a huge thanks for taking the time to help me through it.

I had a great time both days. I ran into a few Sportbikes.net members and also some CLSB members.

Monday I practiced being a lazy rider. Its a great way to make sure your not tired after your session thats for sure

All and all it was a great event! STT and its members really know how to have some fun!

Long live the Blue Dot!!!!
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 02:45 PM

Sportbike: K7 GSXR600
How you found us: Accident

Send a message via AIM to zstylem86
weather was perfect and couldn't have asked for anything better. monday seemed a little overcrowded or maybe unorganized. classroom sessions for novice riders were too lengthy IMO, by the time everything was said and done there was little time to get ready. i felt like i was being rushed every hour. at one point when my group finished talking to the CR there were 5 minutes left before we had to line up.

the group numbers definitely didn't correspond to skill level. my group ranged from first track day's to people that have been in I, wtf? when we finally started passing we had to wait about 30 seconds for the rest of the group to come in. not the best learning experience i guess.

lunch was a disaster, 3 polaks decided to cut everyone in line that was waiting for their food. and a ham mayo sandwich sounded like a disaster in 90+ degree weather.

by the end of the day, i was getting really tired and fatigued. should have stayed more hydrated throughout the day. had a couple of "oh shit" moments at the end but all was good. returned back like i started so i can't complain.

oh btw, pics are up at http://dvkphoto.com/STT/datestta.html

lots of great pics
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 04:43 PM
Gixxer Rider

Sportbike: K6 & K9 GSXR1000s
Years Riding: 12th season
How you found us: SBN

It was a nice relaxed atmosphere for me on Monday. I needed it because taking 2 months off after my crash really lowered my confidence. I got the bike dialed in on Saturday at BHF but the open track layout of ACC full course let me work on a lot of things in a lot of different corners. I'm really happy we were able to ride there and visit with the CLSB/STT peeps.

Track Junkie #79
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 05:39 PM

Sportbike: RSV1000R, 07 ZX600R, 90 R100GS, Zuma, KLX250....
Years Riding: 30+ Years
How you found us: My Man Odyssey

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudes13 View Post
Lots of crashes Saturday, less on Sunday. Not sure what contributes to them.
It takes more skill to pass on the North Course because big HP won't help you. Also IMO "swoopers" cause more problems on the North than the South. Not really sure why, but I did notice some riders "running up" on those in front of them more on the North course.

Monte
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 05:45 PM

Sportbike: RSV1000R, 07 ZX600R, 90 R100GS, Zuma, KLX250....
Years Riding: 30+ Years
How you found us: My Man Odyssey

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstylem86 View Post
weather was perfect and couldn't have asked for anything better. monday seemed a little overcrowded or maybe unorganized. classroom sessions for novice riders were too lengthy IMO, by the time everything was said and done there was little time to get ready. i felt like i was being rushed every hour. at one point when my group finished talking to the CR there were 5 minutes left before we had to line up.

the group numbers definitely didn't correspond to skill level. my group ranged from first track day's to people that have been in I, wtf? when we finally started passing we had to wait about 30 seconds for the rest of the group to come in. not the best learning experience i guess.

lunch was a disaster, 3 polaks decided to cut everyone in line that was waiting for their food. and a ham mayo sandwich sounded like a disaster in 90+ degree weather.

by the end of the day, i was getting really tired and fatigued. should have stayed more hydrated throughout the day. had a couple of "oh shit" moments at the end but all was good. returned back like i started so i can't complain.

oh btw, pics are up at http://dvkphoto.com/STT/datestta.html

lots of great pics
First a question. What is you experience level and how many track days have you done total?

I'd like to address your concerns on item #1. We had 45 riders (37 Novice) on a 3.6 mile track on Monday. Sunday we had 37 (34 Novice) on a 2 mile track... Track density was 50% lower on Monday.

When you spoke to your Track Coach about your concerns during the event, how were they addressed?

Thanks for helping us have better events via your input.

Monte
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 06:27 PM
Retired but still working

Sportbike: 1994 H/D Softail Custom
Years Riding: Long Enough
How you found us: search

Send a message via Yahoo to Dean
I had a great time on Saturday. Thanks to Mouse and Xian for the pulls around - much appreciated Yes, I am still slow but gaining slowly (wow, what an oxi-moron) Good times STT - thanks!!

Dean

What do the internet and Channel 11 have in common? They are both a window to the world; put it out there and do not be surprised who will see it.
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 06:29 PM

Sportbike: '09 gsxr1000
Years Riding: 10 years
How you found us: search engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge View Post
fun time as usual. Good to see some familiar faces.
Marcin, it was so great pitting with you and thanks for all the help on loading unloading,,,etc.
Thanks to Nolan and Kim for the tools, I took the wheel off got my tires changes and suspension setup put the wheels back on all within an hr, and Kim we will continue our cat and mouse chase next time.
Same here, and thanks for all your help too. It was hot out there on track and off but sitting in your car with the a/c on made things better. Let me know when you gonna work on those forks, I'll try to help.
post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 06:31 PM

Sportbike: '09 gsxr1000
Years Riding: 10 years
How you found us: search engine

[QUOTE=zstylem86;1221294]

lunch was a disaster, 3 polaks decided to cut everyone in line that was waiting for their food.

those guys cut in front of me too, what's wrong with those polaks
post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 07:53 PM

Sportbike: 08 R6, 06 giggy6(trackbike),04 ZX10R,93 NSR250 ,91 TZR250 SP
Years Riding: 8
How you found us: CL

Same here had a great time. I have two friends and my brother that was there on monday Novice and my friends was thier 1st time, all of them said they had a blast. One of the guy even crash before lunch and was so dedicated to finish his day, he ask for help from the administration if they can announce that his looking for parts to get his bike going. One thing you know a guy(big thanks to him ) was so kind enough to let him borrow his pegs and brake lever so my friend can go back to the track.After the day he said he'll definitely will be back to do more trackday. I myself have to sit one session just to help him fix his bike.

As for zstyle, The 'I' you were talking about i dont think it has something to do with you. The 'I' people(im one of them) you were talking about were all in 1st group. Our CR is cool
post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 08:01 PM
The Plumber

Sportbike: 05 SV650S
Years Riding: enough
How you found us: Another member on another board I visit

Send a message via AIM to Matoo
Even though I got a speeding ticket on my way there Monday(who is stupid enough to speed on a holiday weekend anyway?) and a run off on the N-S transition the last session I had a great time. I really glad there was a photog there, I can finally really see my form and know what to work on.

"If you love your motorcycle let it go, if it comes back you've highsided"
post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 09:08 PM

Sportbike: 08 R6, 06 giggy6(trackbike),04 ZX10R,93 NSR250 ,91 TZR250 SP
Years Riding: 8
How you found us: CL

Sorry about your ticket. The S.T( including undercover) was in full force that day . They were cruising looking for speeders. As for the N-S i suck there and scared. I slow like a mofoo in there Btw i was the guy greeted you in the morning
post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportBike Track Time View Post
First a question. What is you experience level and how many track days have you done total?

When you spoke to your Track Coach about your concerns during the event, how were they addressed?

Thanks for helping us have better events via your input.
i've done novice now for 3 trackdays with STT...

my entire group was being changed every session in the morning so no one really brought up the issue. people realized that they were just in the wrong group themselves. its not like the CR could completely change every group to be better organized.

in the beginning trevor asked who wants to be in group 1, about 15 people raised their hands. i was one of them and didn't get picked until group 6 out of 8 lol. but with that many people and including those that "think" they are skilled definitely makes it harder to group people accordingly.
post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 09:44 PM
Viva La Figa!!

Quote:
i've done novice now for 3 trackdays with STT...

my entire group was being changed every session in the morning so no one really brought up the issue. people realized that they were just in the wrong group themselves. its not like the CR could completely change every group to be better organized.

in the beginning trevor asked who wants to be in group 1, about 15 people raised their hands. i was one of them and didn't get picked until group 6 out of 8 lol. but with that many people and including those that "think" they are skilled definitely makes it harder to group people accordingly.
you are probably ready for intermediate then.

i think riding N for your first 2 days on the track are a great idea. the group experience is great, and some great skills are taught/learned early in your trackday career. after 3 days however, i could see it being repetitive.

maybe the question in the N riders meeting should be who has done 3 or more novice trackdays with STT and see a show of hands, rather than who has been in group 1 before.

people told me to sign up for advanced for yesterday, since i've been to acc full about 6 times, honestly i dont feel like im ready, however i probably am. i was running towards the front of the I group, didnt get passed too often, but was doing alot of passing.. think im ready?
post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downforce137 View Post
you are probably ready for intermediate then.

i think riding N for your first 2 days on the track are a great idea. the group experience is great, and some great skills are taught/learned early in your trackday career. after 3 days however, i could see it being repetitive.

maybe the question in the N riders meeting should be who has done 3 or more novice trackdays with STT and see a show of hands, rather than who has been in group 1 before.

people told me to sign up for advanced for yesterday, since i've been to acc full about 6 times, honestly i dont feel like im ready, however i probably am. i was running towards the front of the I group, didnt get passed too often, but was doing alot of passing.. think im ready?
i totally agree. my first 2 trackdays with STT were all i could've asked for in terms of teaching and help. i guess its hard to compromise track time and classroom since there just isn't enough time and too much to learn.

i didn't want to jump ahead too soon thinking i'm ready when in fact i make plenty of mistakes which are usually when i'm on my own. for the full course i think it wouldn't be a bad idea to bump up. being that its a longer course, if you were to stay in the back then you still have some time before the fastest riders start catching up.
post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 10:40 AM

Sportbike: Suzuki GSXR 1k, Kawi 600, Ducati 749
Years Riding: a little bit....
How you found us: word gets around....

Quote:
Yes, it was a tough day for grouping people on Monday. We had a lot of fast people in novice. My #1 group was running a "front of pack" I pace, and I know the #2 and #3 groups couldn't have been far behind, because we never passed them all day.

It's always difficult selecting groups when 1/2 the room puts their hands up for the #1 group. If you felt a different group was more appropriate for yourself you could have easily talked to me or your group instructor to be moved up or down.

We try to keep the groups as organized as possible when out on track. Sometimes they get strung out a little. Basically, the group has to move at the pace of the slowest person in the group for the system to work, and there are inherent compromises in that. In the #1 group I had a couple of guys that were faster than the rest of my group. They resigned themselves early in the day to move at a more "relaxed" pace (for them) and work on lines and body position - good for them.

There was not one classroom session that exceeded 15min duration. Where the problems lie is when people are not on time to the classroom... we sit there waiting 5-7-10 minutes for the stragglers to come in, and then it ends up being almost 1/2 past the hour by the time we're done. I ask everyone in the morning to be on time for the classroom - beyond that, what can I do?

I can't say as I felt rushed all day - we would finish the class, I would have a quick talk with my guys, and still have lots of time to prep for the next session. I even had time to sneak out in a couple A sessions...

If you had concerns I wish you would have come talked to me. I consider myself a pretty approachable guy and I want to make sure everyone has as good a day as possible.

t
post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 12:58 PM
rider, rider, racer, ride

Sportbike: Street: 2007 Hayabusa, Track: 2005 R6
Years Riding: Long enough to know there is a lot to learn
How you found us: Moses told me

Send a message via AIM to bluebusa07 Send a message via Yahoo to bluebusa07
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermind View Post
Yes, it was a tough day for grouping people on Monday. We had a lot of fast people in novice. My #1 group was running a "front of pack" I pace, and I know the #2 and #3 groups couldn't have been far behind, because we never passed them all day.

It's always difficult selecting groups when 1/2 the room puts their hands up for the #1 group. If you felt a different group was more appropriate for yourself you could have easily talked to me or your group instructor to be moved up or down.

We try to keep the groups as organized as possible when out on track. Sometimes they get strung out a little. Basically, the group has to move at the pace of the slowest person in the group for the system to work, and there are inherent compromises in that. In the #1 group I had a couple of guys that were faster than the rest of my group. They resigned themselves early in the day to move at a more "relaxed" pace (for them) and work on lines and body position - good for them.

There was not one classroom session that exceeded 15min duration. Where the problems lie is when people are not on time to the classroom... we sit there waiting 5-7-10 minutes for the stragglers to come in, and then it ends up being almost 1/2 past the hour by the time we're done. I ask everyone in the morning to be on time for the classroom - beyond that, what can I do?

I can't say as I felt rushed all day - we would finish the class, I would have a quick talk with my guys, and still have lots of time to prep for the next session. I even had time to sneak out in a couple A sessions...

If you had concerns I wish you would have come talked to me. I consider myself a pretty approachable guy and I want to make sure everyone has as good a day as possible.

t
+1000, I was in group 1 on Monday (luckily I was able to sneak in for a day ) and had, as usual, an awesome day with STT! I kind of felt bad for the coaches though because there was such a wide skill range in Novice on Monday but I personally think they handled it superbly (I was initially disappointed I couldn't find an I slot, but Trevor adjusted the pace to accomodate our group). I don't recall sitting in that classroom for long at all and my group was done with our small group meetings in under 5 mins each time, not to sure what the complaining is about. All in all great times and Im lookin forward to BHF!

NESBA: Intermediate #101
post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 01:37 PM
Viva La Figa!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode