Photography at Events - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Sportbiketracktime.com This forum is the Midwestern home for STT and their riders. Sportbiketracktime.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: some guy at the IBM credit union told me about it

Photography at Events

Monte

I was curious what the process is to photograph events?
I was considering picking up some better glass and catching some photos at the track days this year..
(nice thing about Motorsports photography, it's all equipment and timing.. not so much skill... at least compared to the artsy stuff.. Those are two things I have more of than the third )

How would one go about setting that up with you?
I figured I would post this up publicly in case it was something others were interested in as well.. Otherwise feel free to ping me back privately.. I can go ahead and rm this thread if you want as well..

I was contemplating putting photos up on my host and maybe selling them for like 5$ a pop ala Killboy style.. Help pay for equipment (those fance white lenses are really expensive )

I imagine you'd like to keep things simple.. I got more to thinking about this as when I was doing a # of track days I always seemed to be in the same class as the person out there shooting.. Many trackdays I would go look afterwards and find 1 to 3 photos of myself on the track.. Seemed that maybe having more than one person out there, might be a good idea.. Not only from that perspective but from a one person can only be on one corner at a time perspective.

Thanks in advance
Greg

Last edited by iamnotgreg; 03-27-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 11:36 AM

Sportbike: RSV1000R, 07 ZX600R, 90 R100GS, Zuma, KLX250....
Years Riding: 30+ Years
How you found us: My Man Odyssey

Greg,

We book our photographers many months in advance. Sportbike Track Time events are "closed" to outside/unapproved vendors of any type. While this sounds a little harsh, we want to make sure the people that support us have a fair shot at making some return for their investment of time and money and that goes for suspension, tires, photo's, etc

We have tried different methods and the single photographer model works best for us.

Thanks,

Monte

Monte
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportBike Track Time View Post
Greg,

We book our photographers many months in advance. Sportbike Track Time events are "closed" to outside/unapproved vendors of any type. While this sounds a little harsh, we want to make sure the people that support us have a fair shot at making some return for their investment of time and money and that goes for suspension, tires, photo's, etc

We have tried different methods and the single photographer model works best for us.

Thanks,

Monte
Understood...
One small *idea*
perhaps if there is only one photographer then perhaps they would have to pick ride or photograph..
It's a shame when they run the same groups as people.. So people in those groups end up having few to no photographs at all.. (obviously I am not naming names.. and I will say the person doing it is pretty awesome at what they do.. but it's just a shame when they are out on the track same time as 1/3 of the riders.. so that 1/3 are underserved)

I understand on the reasoning behind your decision.. and I honestly had no plan on making any real money from it.. Probably less per season than I make per day at the regular job.. Just thought it would be an interesting idea for the riders.. (that way you end up with photos of you on multiple turns)
and a fun thing to do on the weekends..

That said I can totally see how it would/could cause conflicts and confusion.. As to where to go get the photos etc..

I had been planning on asking you the question for a year or two.. Finally just got around to it

Side note.. fixed the spelling on your name in the original post.
Sorry about that.

Best of luck this year.. Hope to see you out there more than on here this year!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 12:41 PM
Serious inquiries only

Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Mort82
The photographer is a photographer..... they hire a pro.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort82 View Post
The photographer is a photographer..... they hire a pro.
Does the pro still run in the I group?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 12:55 PM
Serious inquiries only

Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Mort82
Quote:
Originally Posted by gconsier View Post
Does the pro still run in the I group?
The last STT event I went to at Putnam, they had a local guy come in from Indy, or the nearby area. He didn't ride in I group that day, but maybe on a different date.

Looking at your second post it looked like you were suggesting they were having members take pictures, meanwhile I'm sure lots of them do, they had a dedicated photographer to capture pictures of every group. Was I on the right path?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort82 View Post
The last STT event I went to at Putnam, they had a local guy come in from Indy, or the nearby area. He didn't ride in I group that day, but maybe on a different date.

Looking at your second post it looked like you were suggesting they were having members take pictures, meanwhile I'm sure lots of them do, they had a dedicated photographer to capture pictures of every group. Was I on the right path?
It's not really a big deal for me.. but I was at the track with a friend.. We were both running in I (this occured 2 years ago) and the person..(who i believe is a member here) -- I am specifically not calling anything out because they were really cool, really helpful and just... I have nothing against.. They even sent me free full pics when I needed them.. Was running in I group with us.. So on one day there were like 0 pics of me.. and on the next.. I think 2 or 3.. I am guessing a session or two was skipped to catch photos..

I wasn't really upset.. but his wife wanted some for the kids etc.. you know the "look at daddy" stuff

I was just wondering what the status was, if it was possible to get a photo pass (if I wasn't riding) or have 2 or more people out.. or if it came to just one photographer they would be best to bring a backup to shoot while they ride or not ride the days they shoot..

Perhaps this isn't even the case anymore and it is handled differently now.

Really not trying to invent the wheel here, and I accept Monte's answer as the final word on the issue.
I merely brought it up as I know there are a number of amateur to pro class photographers on here, and I thought it was a question perhaps multiple people had wondered about.

Last edited by iamnotgreg; 03-27-2009 at 01:11 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 01:32 PM
habitual line stepper

Sportbike: F4,Brutale,Warrior,DRZ
Years Riding: X
How you found us: .

Send a message via AIM to Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by gconsier View Post
the person..(who i believe is a member here)
Are you referring to me?

If so, no worries, I'm not in the track photo biz anymore.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Are you referring to me?

If so, no worries, I'm not in the track photo biz anymore.
No.. Didn't know you were...
Can't imagine it pays all to well.. That said I can hardly think of a more miserable but incredibly awesome work environment

100+ degrees on asphalt for 8-12 hours a day... Some might consider that torture.. We pay to do it..

Sometimes when you describe this hobby.. It doesn't sound nearly as much fun as it is
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Seems I may have offended some.
That honestly was not my intention.. I had hoped I was clear..
Monte came back with a very appropriate answer.. Not that he had to convince me, that said I agree.. He is right..
To be honest I saw how that could be an issue to begin with .. but you never learn everything if you never ask anything.

I never would have been able to do any kind of serious commitment or anything and I would never want to push anyone out of the job they already had.

I was just curious if those in the know thought it was a good idea... or managable.

Sounds like it's more trouble than it's worth..

Thanks Monte

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode