Dozens of Bikes impounded!!! - Page 2 - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

A.B.A.T.E. of Illinois abate-il.org

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartDrug View Post
I agree with you but specifically targeting motorcyclists is illegal and wrong.
No it isnt, they have to set up the rules of the road block before hand and stick to them. If they say every 3 rd car gets stopped then every third car gets stopped, if they say it's for checking bike paper work then they check bike paperwork. Just because you don't like it, doesn't make it illegal.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 12:25 PM

Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
It's the end of the month, and the state pd has likely not written enough tickets, so they target bikes instead, knowing it's easy money.

Going around in circles in the parking lot at slow speeds does NOT make someone a skilled rider. Proof of insurance... photoshop anyone..?

Another IL scam IMO.
I dont think its a scam

from teh article:
On Sunday, the Clifton Terrace check netted an arrest for DUI, 29 violations of classification citations, six no-insurance citations, two driver's license suspended/revoked citations, one expired registration citation and 30 motorcycles towed.

they issued 39 citations on sunday
1 DUI--needed to be arrested regardless of reason 2.5%
32 were licensing related 82%, dropping to 79% not counting registration
6 for insurance a whopping 15%

the majority of te issue here is unlicensed riders, which im not saying that having a license make you a qualified rider but... gotta play by the rules

-Jason
CCS AM #31
post #33 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 12:29 PM
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Sportbike: 955i Speed Triple, 100AE Road King, AP1 Honda S2000
Years Riding: 1/3rd of my life.
How you found us: Cave Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony View Post
No it isnt, they have to set up the rules of the road block before hand and stick to them. If they say every 3 rd car gets stopped then every third car gets stopped, if they say it's for checking bike paper work then they check bike paperwork. Just because you don't like it, doesn't make it illegal.
Sorry Tony but Profiling based on vehicle type is illegal. This is different than having trucks use weigh stations since that is required by law. If they established areas and documented where those areas were and said that all motorcyclists traveling through would be subject to search and have to display proper paperwork, that would be one thing. Popping up roadblocks and saying that all bikes have to show their paper is Profiling and IS illegal.

As I've said before, they can't pull you over in your Z06 because you "look fast". That is not probable cause. The reality is that the police can make up pretty much anything they want and pull you over for it, but it is illegal and it is wrong for them to do.

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
Yeah, I quit doing blow, not being rad!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 12:34 PM

Sportbike: 05 Busa LE
Years Riding: too many years to remember but not enough to be great
How you found us: search engine

I think its fair that they get the violators. They target cars and trucks so I see nothing wrong with targeting bikes.

As for having the key when they tow it it doesn't really matter as long as your not a prick and lock the forks on them. When we impound bikes I don't even start them. The less I mess with them the better because I know how annal we all are about are bikes.
post #35 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 12:45 PM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Smartdrug, I don't see anything wrong with it. There is obviously precedent that this is perfectly legal. I'm also glad they do it because it gets unlicensed and uninsured motorists off the road.

If you're ever hit by an uninsured motorist (which I have been) and you come on the board complaining that you have to go to court to get them to pay your deductible and other expenses I'll link you to this thread.

And Mark (silentalero) you just called me a dumbass. I NEVER forget to carry my new insurance card because I keep it with the registration in the bike. Ziploc bag FTW wrapped up with the tool kit.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #36 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 12:51 PM

Sportbike: 01 Giggy 7fidday
Years Riding: been riding your mom for years
How you found us: The hobo on lower wacker sold me the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chills View Post
Smartdrug, I don't see anything wrong with it. There is obviously precedent that this is perfectly legal. I'm also glad they do it because it gets unlicensed and uninsured motorists off the road.

If you're ever hit by an uninsured motorist (which I have been) and you come on the board complaining that you have to go to court to get them to pay your deductible and other expenses I'll link you to this thread.

And Mark (silentalero) you just called me a dumbass. I NEVER forget to carry my new insurance card because I keep it with the registration in the bike. Ziploc bag FTW wrapped up with the tool kit.
i mean the dumbasses who swear they never speed or violate any law. I'm licensed and insured and always carry my current card but i was saying in this instance would you get towed if you didnt have it on you? I could see them giving you a ticket and showing proof in court. But thats a bit extreme.

Dgrsuspension.com

~ High Performance Coilovers

Silentedition.com
Quote:
Watching the Cubs lose is the opposite of appreciating a fine wine ó itís like watching a car accident in progress. Itís horrifying, yet gruesomely riveting, and you canít help but watch and sympathize with the poor souls inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burntash View Post
coming to CLSB for relationship advice is like asking fat people in mcdonalds about nutrition.
post #37 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 12:54 PM
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Quote:

Quote:
I agree with you but specifically targeting motorcyclists is illegal and wrong.
Quote:
It is wrong, as I said, they should be off the streets and it is a good thing that they were caught...

They should be off the street and should be made accountable for their fuck up. But there should be a better way of doing it that doesn't effect me as a legal motorcyclist.

I don't understand why some of you find this acceptable. Should they be able to search your vehicle for weapons simply because you have a FOID card? There just isn't probable cause to warrant being detained like that.

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
post #38 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentalero View Post
i mean the dumbasses who swear they never speed or violate any law. I'm licensed and insured and always carry my current card but i was saying in this instance would you get towed if you didnt have it on you? I could see them giving you a ticket and showing proof in court. But thats a bit extreme.
ohhhh, those dumbasses. Ok, I'm not one of those. I've been caught before.

I see what you're saying and I will say I agree. No ins. card shouldn't be an automatic tow. I didn't think it was in this state.

Quote:
They should be off the street and should be made accountable for their fuck up. But there should be a better way of doing it that doesn't effect me as a legal motorcyclist.

I don't understand why some of you find this acceptable. Should they be able to search your vehicle for weapons simply because you have a FOID card? There just isn't probable cause to warrant being detained like that.

Just to see if I am following, you'd be ok if the checkpoints were pulling over all types of vehicles? You're saying that just pulling over motorcycles is the same as cops pulling over only convertables or only F-body cars, right? When you put it like that I can see your point. Honestly I don't have a counter.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #39 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 01:17 PM

Sportbike: 1997 TL1000S
Years Riding: Most of my life!
How you found us: EDS_TLS from TLZone

in this thread we briefly discussed a citation someone got at one of these stops overseas. I'm totally fine with the checkpoint stops, it's no different than the seat belt, sobriety checkpoints or pulling over trucks for weight checks. They just pick a classification to crack down on and do it, this way they can focus on one thing and do it right as opposed to pulling EVERYONE over and having to deal with everything at once.
post #40 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 01:39 PM
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Quote:
Just to see if I am following, you'd be ok if the checkpoints were pulling over all types of vehicles? You're saying that just pulling over motorcycles is the same as cops pulling over only convertables or only F-body cars, right? When you put it like that I can see your point. Honestly I don't have a counter.
If you knew that was part of owning a convertible or F-Body was that you would be subject to these searches, then yes. That's how it is with trucks over a certain weight, you weigh this much, you stop here, simple as that.

Nothing is set up like that for motorcycles, so why should we be singled out and made to answer at stops like this.

You all are viewing this as them seeing your paperwork and letting you go, I doubt it actually would play out like that. Once you're stopped, they'll make sure your license plate is at the exact specified angle, make sure your turn signals are stamped DOT, make sure your bike isn't in motion if your visor is up, aftermarket exhaust, etc. This is carte blanche for these guys to write you up for whatever they can find, after all the reason for these stops is revenue generation.

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
post #41 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Registered lunatic

Sportbike: 1984 FXE, 1966 Triumph, 2000 FLHTC
Years Riding: Bought new 1984, Riding 44yrs
How you found us: ABATE of Illinois, Chicago

Another great reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin72875 View Post
in this thread we briefly discussed a citation someone got at one of these stops overseas. I'm totally fine with the checkpoint stops, it's no different than the seat belt, sobriety checkpoints or pulling over trucks for weight checks. They just pick a classification to crack down on and do it, this way they can focus on one thing and do it right as opposed to pulling EVERYONE over and having to deal with everything at once.
post #42 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Registered lunatic

Well, Blago is going to need bond money ......aint he
post #43 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 02:29 PM
I'm always learning......

Sportbike: 2k14 FLHXS, 1981 FXE, 1949 HD EL Panhead, Yami PW80
Years Riding: Long, long, long, long, long time.
How you found us: GPS

I was ticketed recently for not having my insurance card on me. I did have insurance at the time. I was in my pickup truck. They didn't tow my truck. Why are they towing bikes for the same offence??? BTW, the ticket was dismissed by the judge when I showed him the card proving I had insurance at the time.

Synthetic Lifelike Organism Responsible for Observation and Logical Learning - SLOROLL

Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. Zappa 1974

And I said....."Look here brother, who you jiving with that cosmik debris? Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho? Zappa 1974
post #44 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloRoll View Post
I was ticketed recently for not having my insurance card on me. I did have insurance at the time. I was in my pickup truck. They didn't tow my truck. Why are they towing bikes for the same offence??? BTW, the ticket was dismissed by the judge when I showed him the card proving I had insurance at the time.
+1. I'm wondering that too.

I bleed GREEN
post #45 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 02:36 PM
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Quote:
+1, that's my point here, this isn't on the level.

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
post #46 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 02:40 PM

Sportbike: 1997 TL1000S
Years Riding: Most of my life!
How you found us: EDS_TLS from TLZone

I believe the bikes towed were more for the lack of an M endorsement than the lack of insurance, I could be mistaken though. Personally I'd put up a HELL of a fight if they wanted to tow my bike and I wasn't being detained, I'd call someone to get my truck and come get the bike (and me).
post #47 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Registered lunatic

So far all I can find out from the State Police is that the only bikes that were towed were towed for not having an "M" or "L" class license. The other violations like not having the insurance card or improper display were just ticketed and NOT towed. If you don't have an "M or L" classifacation you cannot ride it away I was told. They also let a few of the motorcyclists that lived in the area have someone come and pick up the bike before it was towed.
post #48 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 02:53 PM

Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.B.A.T.E. View Post
So far all I can find out from the State Police is that the only bikes that were towed were towed for not having an "M" or "L" class license. The other violations like not having the insurance card or improper display were just ticketed and NOT towed. If you don't have an "M or L" classifacation you cannot ride it away I was told. They also let a few of the motorcyclists that lived in the area have someone come and pick up the bike before it was towed.
fair enough for me

-Jason
CCS AM #31
post #49 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 03:31 PM

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: some guy at the IBM credit union told me about it

Quote:
You get pulled over simply because you're on a bike and that's not wrong?

How about if you're black?

or in a 1974 Pinto with non-matching body panels?

It is wrong, as I said, they should be off the streets and it is a good thing that they were caught, but to do something like this to purposefully find motorcyclists is wrong. What they should do is not allow you to register a bike in your name without the proper classifications.
Absolutely nothing wrong with this

Showing your papers proves your legal... and it is vital to keeping society under nice firm control

btw.. studies show % wise black people commit more crimes and are statistically more likely to be caught and convicted of a crime..
Seems like a no brainer to check them out for Driving While Black.

Your best bet would be to also pull over all latinos and make sure they arent illegal mexicans or central/south americans...

Time to clean this country up...
Card carrying whiteys only.

btw.. do we have a holy shit we are discussing the soft sell of the 4th reich emoticon?

oh and in case your sarcasm impaired... the above was sarcasm... yea... at least mostly... or partly ... or? right?
post #50 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 04:07 PM
Guns prevent pollution

Sportbike: 1996 YZF-600, 2006 Huffy
Years Riding: May '08 - Oct '12
How you found us: smartrider

Too many posts to +1 everyone I agree with, but in short, I think stuff like this is not only a good idea but should be done more often.
When I was stationed down in KY, they had entire roads blocked off and were checking for DUI's on Friday nights once or twice a month. Didn't matter who you were, they would stop you and make you blow.
Why shouldn't they check to make sure we have our endorsements and insurance?
I for one hate having to pay an extra $50/yr for un-insured/ under-insured motorists.

- Will

"Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Our life is a non-stop ride to our death.
post #51 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 01:01 AM

Sportbike: Kawa 650R
Years Riding: Never long enough to learn something new
How you found us: another forum

Quote:
Officer choice. If you were ticketed for no insurance and drove away for the seen to have a accident, The officer is part to blame.

If it was me they hit and had no insurance and I found out a few miles earlier he was ticketed I would go after the driver, officer, and town.

I had a no insurance ticket driving my wifes car. Cops stated they could tow it, my respones was it is insured I have a card brought over, Popo- Thats fine, but I could to it if I wanted.

To many uninsured and fake insurance cards out there. Personally I feel no proof. Get it off the road. You are responsible to have your papers at all times, (Go to some other countrys and tell the authorities your papers are at the hotel, they don't care) Just my
post #52 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 01:07 AM

Sportbike: '08 Ninja 650
Years Riding: Newbie
How you found us: A friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by catwlights View Post
I leave work and hit up RT 83 and North, and at least once every two months there is a road block for "click it or ticket".

Two days ago, troopers lined up ON FOOT walking down congested traffic at the lights and just pointed and pulled people over for seat belt tickets. There were five troopers to the side parkinglot as a "staging" for violators to receive their little yellow slips.
Thats Elmhurst PD for ya LOL
post #53 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 01:45 AM

Sportbike: Ducati Monster 900s,TT-R 125LE.SV650S, R6
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: ChicagoMonster,aka big Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoil9 View Post
Too many posts to +1 everyone I agree with, but in short, I think stuff like this is not only a good idea but should be done more often.
When I was stationed down in KY, they had entire roads blocked off and were checking for DUI's on Friday nights once or twice a month. Didn't matter who you were, they would stop you and make you blow.
Why shouldn't they check to make sure we have our endorsements and insurance?
I for one hate having to pay an extra $50/yr for un-insured/ under-insured motorists.
WHY? See gconsier's post above.
BTW, I'm curious -What other rights would you be willing to give up?

"The two most important days of your life are the day you are born, and the day you find out why." -Mark Twain
post #54 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 05:10 AM
Fast Old Fart on a Bike

Sportbike: 2001 Ducati S4 / '06 WRX STI Tow Vehicle
Years Riding: Since 1966
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to tripod
Here is a thought, maybe they should cross reference dl's with plate renewal applications, and refuse plate renewals it no m endorsement

Live Fast, Die Young, Have a good looking corpse.
post #55 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 07:07 AM
I'm always learning......

Sportbike: 2k14 FLHXS, 1981 FXE, 1949 HD EL Panhead, Yami PW80
Years Riding: Long, long, long, long, long time.
How you found us: GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
Officer choice. If you were ticketed for no insurance and drove away for the seen to have a accident, The officer is part to blame.

If it was me they hit and had no insurance and I found out a few miles earlier he was ticketed I would go after the driver, officer, and town.

I had a no insurance ticket driving my wifes car. Cops stated they could tow it, my respones was it is insured I have a card brought over, Popo- Thats fine, but I could to it if I wanted.

To many uninsured and fake insurance cards out there. Personally I feel no proof. Get it off the road. You are responsible to have your papers at all times, (Go to some other countrys and tell the authorities your papers are at the hotel, they don't care) Just my

I'm not a fan of Zero Tolerance societies. Besides, if the insurance is mandatory then a record of it should be made readily available to the officer on his squad computer. He has access to everything else, why not that? Like you said, cards can be faked.

Synthetic Lifelike Organism Responsible for Observation and Logical Learning - SLOROLL

Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. Zappa 1974

And I said....."Look here brother, who you jiving with that cosmik debris? Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho? Zappa 1974
post #56 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 08:35 AM

Sportbike: A couple
Years Riding: too long to have any sense
How you found us: NESBA

Quote:
You get pulled over simply because you're on a bike and that's not wrong?

How about if you're black?

or in a 1974 Pinto with non-matching body panels?

It is wrong, as I said, they should be off the streets and it is a good thing that they were caught, but to do something like this to purposefully find motorcyclists is wrong. What they should do is not allow you to register a bike in your name without the proper classifications.
I'm with you. I don't think this should happen because there is no probable cause, but the courts have ruled again and again that these "safety check" roadblocks are legal.

Unless/Until someone successfully challenges these mass stops in court, we will have to deal with them. Support your local ACLU.

To get any towed vehicle back, they look up the registration based on the plate. If your DL/ID matches the plate registration, you can retrieve the vehicle. And no, they don't need the key to tow you bike. However, if I were the cops and knew that you didn't have a M class license, I would wait outside the pound and re-pinch you when you came out riding your reclaimed bike without a license.

Craig
post #57 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 08:39 AM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

More power to them. Get more morons off the road, we have plenty to spare.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #58 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 08:42 AM
Serious inquiries only

Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Mort82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink View Post
More power to them. Get more morons off the road, we have plenty to spare.
Where are we supposed to ride if we can't ride on the road?

(Yes, I just called myself a moron. )
post #59 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 09:38 AM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

Hmmmm.... Dirt or Track?

When you comin over anyhow?!

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #60 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 09:47 AM

Sportbike: 01 Giggy 7fidday
Years Riding: been riding your mom for years
How you found us: The hobo on lower wacker sold me the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoil9 View Post
Do me a favor then, call you ins company and tell them you demand your ins goes lower since they have these road blocks up. Do you honestly think these road blocks make a different?

Dgrsuspension.com

~ High Performance Coilovers

Silentedition.com
Quote:
Watching the Cubs lose is the opposite of appreciating a fine wine ó itís like watching a car accident in progress. Itís horrifying, yet gruesomely riveting, and you canít help but watch and sympathize with the poor souls inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burntash View Post
coming to CLSB for relationship advice is like asking fat people in mcdonalds about nutrition.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode