Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Does a company reserve the right to cancel orders after charging customers?

• Yes

Votes: 21 46.7%
  • No

Votes: 24 53.3%

POLL: Price Honoring?

1K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Blade Runner 
#1 ·
If an online company lists an item at a certain price and charges your credit card for payment, do they have the right to cancel your order if the price listed and charged was in err?

#3 · (Edited)
I can deal with the price issue being an obvious misprint but given my example above, if they charged your credit card $8,500, and then when you went to pick up the merchandise, they said it's going to cost another $2,500 to get it our of the store, is that fair/legal?

#5 ·
That's kind of my angle now, the prices listed were about 25% better than what they go for on eBay, I wrote them and said that I felt like while their prices were cheap, they weren't obvious misprints and that because of this, I expect them to honor the prices to some degree. I offered them 10% more than what the original price was and said I'd be happy with that.

#6 ·
There is no one answer. Can they explain the error?

Old School ways says they should honor it unless it was such a gross error like a new bike for $850.00 instead of $8500.00

Legally, I would bet dollars to donuts that somewhere tucked away in their terms of service on the web site that you agreed that they have the authority and ability to cancel your order in case of any 'error' whether intentional or not.

Simply force the issue and tell them to charge back the credit card and you are taking your business elsewhere. If they don't do that fight it through the creditcard company. That will cost them way more in higher transaction fees than they are trying to 'recover' on your single sale :)

#8 ·
...Legally, I would bet dollars to donuts that somewhere tucked away in their terms of service on the web site that you agreed that they have the authority and ability to cancel your order in case of any 'error' whether intentional or not.

Simply force the issue and tell them to charge back the credit card and you are taking your business elsewhere. If they don't do that fight it through the creditcard company. That will cost them way more in higher transaction fees than they are trying to 'recover' on your single sale :)
My thoughts exactly.

#7 ·
Are they really trying to screw you by saying they will not charge back the credit card? If they try using the "All sales final, no refunds," then the same goes for the incorrect price.

I think they should honor that OTD price, because I can gaurantee, as many bikes that any dealership sells, there is not a single charge that anyone anywhere "forgot" about. This goes beyond a bait and switch. The price will go up on a bait and switch before payment is made. You should read every piece of paperwork that you got when you authorized that $8500 transaction, and even have someone with legal background read it to see if it is included anywhere that they can add to the final price after payment is made.

#12 ·
Unless its marked well below what it should be I would expect them to honor the price. if its an obvious error I would think they cancel the order and let you know why. Hell all they have to do is say its out of stock and they are not taking Back orders. I had this happen with a shop in Madison, WI. I went in and saw what I wanted but didn't have the funds in my Paypal so I passed. Checked them out online and the price was way low. So I ordered. They came back next day and said out of stock. I called the store and asked if it was on the shelf. They said yes. Then I talked to the manager and asked why the price switch and claim of out of stock. BTW they took it of their site but not before I copied the page. :) He said it never was that price. I gave him invoice number and everything from my order. I had an answer for every possible excuse he could make. Well long story short I went somewhere else and will not be shopping there in the future. His loss but I doubt it matters as I am only 1 customer.

#17 ·
It doesn't seem fair at all sounds like a total bait and switch. My .02 is save any and all paperwork you have, dealer forms, credit card reciepts, internet print-outs, whatever it maybe. Write up a letter to the BBB and Attorney General explaining what occured, the dealership only has so much time to respond to the inquirery they will get from both agencys, and if they fall to respond at minimum they get a ding on there rating. Maybe this would help or if not at least tie them up with a bunch of paperwork and make them rethink things. Before they try and screw someone else

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.