Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Tire warmers?

1K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  JRSMAIL 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever ran tire warmers from a car power inverter and how many watts are required to run them? as opposed to getting a generator. Anyone have a line on some economical tire warmers?

#3 ·
Tony, I can run a few sets of tire warmers off my generator. If you ever want to borrow it you know you can. I also have a set of warmers, Tire Soxx if I remember right they didn't cost a lot.

#5 ·
are you looking to sell the tyre sox? How much?

#4 ·
I had a thread in this awhile back, specifically about inverters. The gist; not a viable option. Equalz uses the inverter in his Taco, but it doesn't run both warmers. Chickenhawks and woodcrafts use 1200 watts. DMP and bickle only draw 1000, IIRC.

Just mooch power from Geo big honkin generator. :laughing

With warmers, you get what you pay for. Get chickenhawks or woodcrafts, or you'll just end buying another set in a season or two

#8 ·
#9 ·
#10 · (Edited)
#11 ·
That's no load amps. Once you plug in the 700 watt warmers you'll pull 58 amps.

Watts = Volts * Amps

#13 ·
#12 ·
Tony, you can borrow my generator anytime you need it. I doubt you and I will ever be going opposite directions as far as supermoto. Save your money and spend it on tires. Oh and you can hook me up with something like a pimp team jersey!
:jester

#16 · (Edited)
The inverter is fed with 12 VDC from your battery. It uses a step up transformer, MOSFET transistors, and a controller or voltage regulator to step the DC voltage up and then chop it into a "sign" wave (it not truly sinusoidal) to produce 120 VAC.

If you plug a 700 Watt heater into the inverter, supplying the heater with 120 VAC, it will draw 5.8 Amps AC. Thru the inverter to the 12 VDC side the amperage draw goes up to 58 Amps DC. Amps and Volts are an indirect relationship. As one goes up the other must go down. Technically if you take the inefficiency of the inverter into account (83%) you'll draw 68 amps out of the 12 VDC battery.

This is why transmission lines from the power plants are generally in the 230,000 / 115,000 VAC range. Their amp draw is significantly less (plus a whole bunch of other reasons) and they can use much thinner conductors. If tranmission was done at 220 VAC the amp draw would be roughly 1000 times greater.

The generator you gave is more than likely a 120 VAC generator. For that voltage you'd only draw 5.8 amps.

#18 ·
Yup

#19 ·
Thanks For the help. Im electrically inept!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.