How many video games have you actually finished? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Video game forum For discussion about games and strategy's Please keep console specific content in the appropiate subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: CURRENTLY LOOKING
Years Riding: since I was 8
How you found us: The NET is MINE

Cool How many video games have you actually finished?

Interesting article.
Quote:
Once considered a cult pastime, video games have grown immensely in the last 30 years to become a mainstream fixture alongside movies and music.

But you wouldn't know it by how often players finish their games.

In fact, the attrition (or bounce rate) of video games is pretty pathetic. "What I've been told as a blanket expectation is that 90% of players who start your game will never see the end of it unless they watch a clip on YouTube," says Keith Fuller, a longtime production contractor for Activision.
So How many games have you actually finished?

When I started to think about it, I rescued the princes on all Mario Games, finished a couple of Megaman games and FF... but overall I don't think I have finished an actual game in quite some time.

Logtar - John

My Blog - @Logtar - Google+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 10:31 AM
yo quiero su taco

Sportbike: Honda CBR 954 blk/slvr
Years Riding: 10 years
How you found us: They found me. Follow the white rabbit.

Games have changed. The better question is: how many games have you completed all the achievements?

"includes 10 used-car dealers or auto repair shops, 11 liquor stores and bars--two of which advertise lingerie fashion shows and a third billed as a "gentlemen's club"--three cut-rate motels and one trailer park. The squat, brick municipal building is next to a currency exchange and a few steps from an adult video store. The bars open at 10 a.m. and close at 6:30 a.m."

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Something must be fishy...I am going to go poke around in the back end..
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 10:36 AM
Bek
Your Cigar Aficionado

Sportbike: 2007 Yamaha FZ6 & 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic
Years Riding: Long enough to know not long enough...
How you found us: Google-fu

Send a message via Yahoo to Bek
Ridiculous 'achievements' didn't exist back when I was hardcore gaming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 10:37 AM
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...

Send a message via AIM to Cerk
Oh man, I'm notorious for not finishing games...I always finish the shooters like COD and GOW but the GTA series, Dead Space, Assassin's Creed...haven't finished those.

I usually do try to beat them but if I lose interest I'll just quit playing. Dead Space started to scare the shit out of me, and I got to a really tough part that I just couldn't figure out...it wasn't losing interest that had me quit playing that one.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

You do have a point, but single player games do have an end still...

I guess most people that buy the shooters never do the single player campaigns. I only have a handful of CLSBers on my Xbox friend list, but none of them have impressive achievement points, I do have a friend from back in KC that has just a ridiculous amount.

Do people care and compare those? I mean I can rent like the simpsons game series and rack up points in a single weekend (lol watch people's scores go up!)

Logtar - John

post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 10:41 AM
yo quiero su taco

The only game I have received all achievements is Fallout3. Of all the games under my profile, I think I have only finished the main storyline on 1/3 of them. It's come down to if I don't like it in the first 8 hours, I trade it in for something else.

"includes 10 used-car dealers or auto repair shops, 11 liquor stores and bars--two of which advertise lingerie fashion shows and a third billed as a "gentlemen's club"--three cut-rate motels and one trailer park. The squat, brick municipal building is next to a currency exchange and a few steps from an adult video store. The bars open at 10 a.m. and close at 6:30 a.m."

Quote:

Last edited by whiteSeatEnvy; 01-05-2012 at 10:49 AM.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 10:51 AM
yo quiero su taco

I like the achievements cause it gives you high mileage out of any game you buy. I finished arkham asylum months ago, but am still trying to get to 100% game completion, very difficult. I think I am at 98% with one achievement and a few challenges to finish.

Arkham asylum > arkham city if anyone cares to know.

Quote:
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Achievements don't entice all that much... I guess it is leftover from the Mario days and just rescuing the princes is good enough for me. Interesting in a way since people say that the newer generations have no attention span, but completing a game 100% is not that rare if you do enjoy the game.

Logtar - John

post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 10:56 AM
yo quiero su taco

Another thing that has changed in gaming is the removal of Boss characters. Meaning, old school games all had a Boss character that you had to defeat at the end of the game or to progress in level. It gave you a definite goal to achieve. Today, games are more about revealing the storyline as you go. If you lose interest in the storyline, there is nothing/no goal to keep you playing.

Quote:
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 10:58 AM

Sportbike: CBR1000RR
Years Riding: Been around the block with training wheels
How you found us: Folks

Played Zelda once on my black and white Gameboy back in the 90s. I think I finished about 1/4 of it before giving up. That's the furthest I've gotten with any game.
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 11:25 AM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

According to my xbox live profile, I have finished 0 games. Those idiots though base it on the achievements. Finished most of the COD series campaigns, working on MW3 right now. Black Ops I think is one I got bored with... Finished few racings games too.
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 01:01 PM

Sportbike: 2001 TL 1000s, 2000 Honda f4, 1993 Yamaha FZR 1000
Years Riding: Not enough
How you found us: sqrly

Back in the Nintendo days when I was just a runt my parents wouldn't buy me a new game until I completed one, so I've beaten a lot of old games.

America is like the girl that keeps getting back together with that abusive moron everyone hates
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwa View Post
According to my xbox live profile, I have finished 0 games. Those idiots though base it on the achievements. Finished most of the COD series campaigns, working on MW3 right now. Black Ops I think is one I got bored with... Finished few racings games too.
I am still waiting for you to beat me at chess! I have great hope on you decimating me...

On that same note, does anyone else play chess with friends on the iPhone? Look me up Logtar

Logtar - John

post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 01:15 PM
Eat a bag o' dix!

Sportbike: ratty one
Years Riding: a few days
How you found us: Uncle Bad Touch

I always finish...any game I buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki047 View Post
As long as their tits are bigger than their dicks, im in.

-"You will meet your destiny on the road of avoidance."

-"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

-"It's not considered premarital sex if you don't plan on getting married."
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 05:30 PM
lust for bikes!

Sportbike: a prostitute
Years Riding: a prostitute
How you found us: a prostitute

i kno i didnt finish fucking battletoads. the cunat that made that game should be drawn and quartered with a ball point.

"Why are all these people here? There are too many people on this earth. We need a new plague…"

"Thats it, nobody gets out of here alive."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobbins View Post
I agree completely with Steve (nouseforaname)
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 06:10 PM
bwa
Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by logtar View Post
I am still waiting for you to beat me at chess! I have great hope on you decimating me...

On that same note, does anyone else play chess with friends on the iPhone? Look me up Logtar
yeah, that probably won't happen unless we actually have a sit down game

Seriously, I can't play chess like that, I don't know how people used to do it over snail mail...
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 06:23 PM

Sportbike: 1998 GSX-R600
Years Riding: 4th season
How you found us: Sportbikes.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSkip View Post
Back in the Nintendo days when I was just a runt my parents wouldn't buy me a new game until I completed one, so I've beaten a lot of old games.
Id hate to be you if that rule applied to tetris. But that is a good idea from a parents point of view

Last game I beat was portal 2, but I probably only play 1-2 new games a year.

Also something to note is that games have become much longer since the days of original nintendo.

-Chris

Last edited by project15; 01-05-2012 at 06:25 PM.
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 08:06 PM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
Quote:
Originally Posted by project15 View Post
Id hate to be you if that rule applied to tetris. But that is a good idea from a parents point of view

Last game I beat was portal 2, but I probably only play 1-2 new games a year.

Also something to note is that games have become much longer since the days of original nintendo.
Back in the Nintendo games...they made the games longer by making them damn near impossible..hence the previous comment on Battletoads.

I've "got to the end" of probably 1/2 my Wii and XBox games. Completing all achievements? Never.

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 07:05 AM
Zydrate addict

Sportbike: no more riding for me :(
Years Riding: ridin what?
How you found us: I lost a bet, this was my punishment

Send a message via AIM to Piercedqt78
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteSeatEnvy View Post
Another thing that has changed in gaming is the removal of Boss characters. Meaning, old school games all had a Boss character that you had to defeat at the end of the game or to progress in level. It gave you a definite goal to achieve. Today, games are more about revealing the storyline as you go. If you lose interest in the storyline, there is nothing/no goal to keep you playing.
The kid got the new Disney Universe for Christmas, and every level has a boss. She is loving it. Sorta reminds me of the Mario brothers setup. Each level gets harder, and the bad guys get bigger. We have had fun playing it just about everyday.

I don't ride, I cook!
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 07:24 AM
Rex Banner

Sportbike: 99 SV650, z50r
Years Riding: A few years
How you found us: A tranny told me

I've "flipped" probably over 70% of what I have purchased in the last 5 years or so. This includes things like first couple Assassin's Creed games and Portal 1 and 2 including the co-op chambers. On the flip side, I still haven't even started Heavy Rain as it seems too daunting a task. ha ha

My biggest disappointment as a kid was that I played Dragon Warrior on the NES for MONTHS and was very very close to the final boss fight and I left one weekend to go stay with a friend and came back to find that one of my brothers deleted the saved slot I was using.

Lord, beer me strength

Gamertag: FlyingHellf1sh

Last edited by Flying_Hellfish; 01-06-2012 at 07:27 AM.
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 09:07 AM

Sportbike: BMW R1100s
Years Riding: 13
How you found us: Rider

I've maxed trophies for Fallout 3 and finished many of the games I started. Orange Box, Sly Cooper, Arkham Asylum, inFamous, and a few more. COD single player took me only a few hours. It's really not worth mentioning and i finishing it in single player has no bearing on your ability in Multiplayer at least for me. I suck at multiplayer games except Risk and even my record there is under 20% win.

Maxing trophies and achievements isn't important in my book. I've only platinumed Fallout 3. I can't stand tasks that require you to collect feathers or stupid stuff. I gave up on inFamous after a playthrough as good and 1/2 as evil because I didn't see the point. I lost interest in Assassin's Creed 2 because the feather collecting and story were boring.

I've worked my way through Fallout New Vegas and all the main storyline endings. I would have platinumed that too except they kept adding DLC. That itself isn't bad and I've played through 2 of those but then they added the Gun Runners DLC and I think there is a logic issue where I can't go back and get all those trophies. Or at least I thought the awards were worth the effort. I've shelved that game for the time being. It's fun but I wanted to switch it up a bit and try Rocksmith.

I'm a level 10 on the PSN and rarely do I ever see anyone that high. Occasionally if I play COD I see people much higher but no one here from CLSB is that high. Honestly, I probably got 50% of the way there by playing Fallout games. They are thick with rewards for what they are worth.

And those rewards aren't always a good marker of a gamer. I consistently lose Risk multiplayer games against PSN level 2-4 users. I'm pretty good at Risk. Went undefeated for 2 years in my college dorm against all takers playing 1 or 2 games a week. I haven't played in a while so I'm earning my keep now I suppose. Multiplayer 1st person shooters are even less linked to achievements. There are a few PSN/CLSB peeps who play COD exclusively. I've never seen them play anything else and they are level 1-4 on the PSN. I bet they could hand me my a$$ on COD.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwa View Post
yeah, that probably won't happen unless we actually have a sit down game

Seriously, I can't play chess like that, I don't know how people used to do it over snail mail...
We should hang out and play some chess. I think the caribu coffee by me has tables with boards on it, I am sure I have a set of pieces laying around somewhere.

Logtar - John

post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
I completed the second quest on the original Zelda, not many people have done that especially back in the day when there was no internet and the only map available was a tattered foldout from Nintendo Power that only applied to the first quest.

Chris
post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 10:22 AM
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...

Send a message via AIM to Cerk
HA! I completely forgot about that fold out map.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 10:24 AM
You got the talkin' done

Sportbike: 2016 Honda Africa Twin & 1979 Honda CB750F
Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!
How you found us: Loose Lips Sink Ships, Loose Wires Cause Fires

Bruce Lee invented video games. True Story.

If you ain't with us, then it's just bad news.
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibeemer View Post
And those rewards aren't always a good marker of a gamer. I consistently lose Risk multiplayer games against PSN level 2-4 users. I'm pretty good at Risk. Went undefeated for 2 years in my college dorm against all takers playing 1 or 2 games a week. I haven't played in a while so I'm earning my keep now I suppose. Multiplayer 1st person shooters are even less linked to achievements. There are a few PSN/CLSB peeps who play COD exclusively. I've never seen them play anything else and they are level 1-4 on the PSN. I bet they could hand me my a$$ on COD.
I agree with you, but there are so many different types of games and ways of playing them that skill is just so far apart. I could play FPS on the computer but I still have not been able to translate that to a controller... however, I love playing Street Fighter type games and do pretty good. I have also killed the bosses that have been put in WoW over the past couple of years... but even in that game, 10 million subscribers and only 1% kill the bosses on the most difficult mode. Only about 20% ever even fight the last boss on the normal mode.

Starcraft is bringing the whole e-sport stuff into the US more and more, but how do we really measure who is a good gamer or not?

Logtar - John

post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 10:50 AM

Sportbike: BMW R1100s
Years Riding: 13
How you found us: Rider

Quote:
I agree with you, but there are so many different types of games and ways of playing them that skill is just so far apart. I could play FPS on the computer but I still have not been able to translate that to a controller... however, I love playing Street Fighter type games and do pretty good. I have also killed the bosses that have been put in WoW over the past couple of years... but even in that game, 10 million subscribers and only 1% kill the bosses on the most difficult mode. Only about 20% ever even fight the last boss on the normal mode.

Starcraft is bringing the whole e-sport stuff into the US more and more, but how do we really measure who is a good gamer or not?
I guess I play games because they are fun. I like the stories. If the fun factor wears off and the story isn't worth following I do my best to get my money's worth and then move on.

Just because I finish a game or have a level 10 PSN doesn't mean I'm good. In fact, I'll rightly admit I suck for the most part. I don't play games on the hardest difficulty because I don't find playing the same boss fight over and over 100 times very fun. I do play normal difficulty and for Fallout New Vegas I played on Hardcore but the Hardcore challenge wasn't that difficult. It just required you scavenge more and return to dump your loot at a safehouse every so often.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 10:56 AM

Sportbike: zx6r
How you found us: friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerk View Post
Oh man, I'm notorious for not finishing games...I always finish the shooters like COD and GOW but the GTA series, Dead Space, Assassin's Creed...haven't finished those.

I usually do try to beat them but if I lose interest I'll just quit playing. Dead Space started to scare the shit out of me, and I got to a really tough part that I just couldn't figure out...it wasn't losing interest that had me quit playing that one.
i got dead space 2 still sitting in the ps 3...i got to find time to finish that bitch!
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 11:16 AM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
I've finished the single-player modes on all the games I own. I shy away from mulitplayer since I'm so bad at the shooters. Its just not fun being "pwnd" all the time.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 11:22 AM
bwa
Boom

Quote:
We should hang out and play some chess. I think the caribu coffee by me has tables with boards on it, I am sure I have a set of pieces laying around somewhere.
Yeah, little bit of a drive from Kansas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode