Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

What's fun? Realistic or Arcade sports games?

• Yes! Arcade sports games rock!!!

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • No! If I can't see a linebacker's eye movement, why bother?

Votes: 3 27.3%

What's fun? Realistic or Arcade sports games?

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Noodles 
#1 · (Edited)
I was playing World Class Baseball on TG16 the other day and thinking about how the controls weren't great and the options were limited, but that it still was a blast to play. Remember before everyone got obsessed on the count of the blades of grass on the green that Tiger is putting on? Remember when Arcade meant silly physics and huge plays? That's what this poll is about. I felt that pure fun might be dying in sports games when EA came out with NFL Head Coach... I mean, I get the game and I bet it's fun or cool, but Jesus, when you were little did you say to yourself, "Man, this Mario is cool, but I'd much rather be that cloud in the sky watching the game play out..."?

I don't know, but I miss my arcade-y sports games.

Here's to some of my favs: :thdrunk: :drunk :cheers:

Arch Rivals
NFL Blitz
Base Wars
Mutant League Football

#2 ·
i voted for the arcade style but i really enjoy madden and tw as well. i think the big plays with really good graphics make the best of both worlds. i want awesome graphics no matter what the game is if i'm playin on ps3.

#4 · (Edited)
Well, you got the hardware, so I totally agree that it should look good. I guess I just miss those old days where fun was more important then absolute graphic realism.

I was playing F.E.A.R. a while back, and while I enjoyed the graphics and F/X (even the story, to some extent), the game was pretty much like any other FPS. I mean it's a good game, but it still has all the lame errors in FPS games. I can still trick enemies into killing themselves, you can sneak by enemies by rushing the pacing, etc. I guess I just question making the same game over and over and over with better graphics, but without making the mechanics better or improving the immersion into the game world. With crazy levels of raw processing power in the hands of Joe Consumer, no video game hero should be silent and without more cause then just being there at the time the event happened. We don't usually accept that crap in movies, why do games get a pass?

Also, playing old games make me realize that while they'll never look as good as the new ones, in some ways the limitations of the graphics forced the game to be better.

Eh, just rambling... :2cents:

#7 ·
Arcade sport games.

I hate playing Madden and other similar games. If I wanted to play real football, I'd go outside. I want to jump 30 feet in the air, have rockets come out of my feet, and cream the guy in the end zone for catching a 80 yard pass and dance on his face.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.