xbox 360 owers, question for you - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Video game forum For discussion about games and strategy's Please keep console specific content in the appropiate subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
I miss mopar

Sportbike: 2008 Yamaha Zuma
Years Riding: I can't count that high.
How you found us: i don't remember.

Send a message via AIM to Drama Send a message via Skype™ to Drama
xbox 360 owers, question for you

Knowing that blue ray is now the technology of the future. If you didn't own a gaming system and were buying one now, would you switch to a ps3? I had a 360 and loved it. Got rid of it for a while, but now i'm thinking about buying another. just wondering if you guys still feel it's the way to go.

Steve
08 yamaha Zuma 49cc
Dirt: TBD
I love bike shopping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 08:49 AM

Sportbike: 600rr & Zuma125
Years Riding: since 2002
How you found us: linked on the interwebs

Send a message via AIM to Audiofyl Send a message via MSN to Audiofyl
from what i've heard, the 360 blows away the ps3 for online gaming. i've not played online on a ps3, so I am only restating other people's feelings. I guess it depends on if that's important to you or not. I'd just as well buy a separate bluray player.

Eric

2003 CBR600RR
2009 Zuma 125
2005 VW Golf TDI
1994 Honda Civic Turbo

My Fuelly

Flickr

posterous

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach
The art of reading is lost on all....
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
i dont buy a gaming console to watch movies. Get a 360 and wait for BD players to drop in price. Till then I'm more than happy to watch upscaled DVDs where are cheap, plentiful, and readily available.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 08:52 AM
Clever Girl

Sportbike: 'Fightered F3
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: I woke up here.

Send a message via AIM to Noodles
I'd get the PS3 over the 360 if I were new into the market. Mainly because I just don't play games as much, so I don't care much about following a series anymore, which is why I initially bought the 360 (Halo).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
Noodles accepts no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Noodles.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 08:53 AM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: SBN

blue ray is here today. It will be yesterday soon. The future is streaming video. Xbox is all over that and already has the best platform for distribution.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy View Post
blue ray is here today. It will be yesterday soon. The future is streaming video. Xbox is all over that and already has the best platform for distribution.
Crazy is 100% dead nuts right on this one. I've been saying the same for years. especially since my company is the one putting all of that together. in fact we are doing all of the hosting and HD streaming for the democratic national convention. and xbox live is a huge customer of ours

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 09:04 AM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook View Post
i dont buy a gaming console to watch movies. Get a 360 and wait for BD players to drop in price. Till then I'm more than happy to watch upscaled DVDs where are cheap, plentiful, and readily available.
+1. There's nothing like a bunch of CLSBers on COD4 talking trash to the 10 year olds while they kick our asses.

Or a bunch of us crashing into each other in T1 at Laguna Seca on FM2.

Xbox360 for gaming, stand alone BR player for movies (sometime down the line when they are cheaper).

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 09:53 AM

Sportbike: BMW R1100s
Years Riding: 13
How you found us: Rider

360 is going to see another price drop in a month or 2. PS3 will get a HD upgrade for $500 and they will offer the 80gb version for $400.

Price could be an issue. I think the 360 will be very affordable going into the holidays but I wouldn't buy anything less than the elite version which is seeing fewer RROD because of hardware upgrades.

As far as the PS3 being a BluRay player I use mine all the time. Its great with Netflix. Yes, BR is probably not going to be around as long as DVD but it still has a few years, no question about that. Also, you get free BR upgrades from Sony with the PS3 that aren't guaranteed with a stand alone player. The main negative with the PS3 as your primary BR player is the (minimal) fan noise.

Now, you may say xBox landed the Netflix exclusive distribution rights for over the internet viewing but I have to tell you that Netflix Now quality is about as good as a 10 year old VHS tape.

Sony just released it's own video store where you can rent or purchase downloadable HD movies. The library isn't complete but it is expanding. You sign up for an account and that account follows you anywhere, from another PS3 or the internet. When you purchase an online game or movie it sticks with your account.

Finally, games. Well lets be realistic. Both systems get many of the same titles now. Its not 2006 anymore. Developers have figured out the PS3. Exclusive titles might be a deciding factor, especially if you like RPG which the 360 has more to offer. However, the PS3 is going to have a lineup that will be hard to beat in the next few months.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 10:02 AM
he who is absent foreskin

Sportbike: Z1000
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: Search Engine

Send a message via AIM to Loki047
PS3, i owned both and ditched the xbox360. Felt like i was playing a 6 year olds console, the menus were extremely awkward, and the thing sounded like a jet taking off.

I like having a whole media center - bluray, media server, mp3 player, dvd player, all in one.

I wasn't a fan of add ons or extra remotes or crap. When they come out with cheap ir and blutooth remotes i will be all over it. On remote. Handles TV and PS3.

As for the platform for streaming its called the internet and since both are connected to the internet its a matter of service providers (in this case sony and xbox).

EDIT: I haven't played a game on it in at least 6 months.

Last edited by Loki047; 08-29-2008 at 10:05 AM.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 10:10 AM
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: 3 days
How you found us: unemployment office

Send a message via AIM to MoparBoyy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy View Post
werd to this man..

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 10:30 AM

Sportbike: 08 GSXR 1000
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: Google

I think PS3 is a better deal, BluRay + WIFI are included, Plus I have had no problems with my PS3 and have had to return 3 360's that had the rings of death.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 10:33 AM
K.I.S.S

Sportbike: CBR600RR & H-D Softail Custom
Years Riding: almost as long as it took to fill this out
How you found us: through a miracle

Send a message via AIM to MikeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drama View Post
Knowing that blue ray is now the technology of the future. If you didn't own a gaming system and were buying one now, would you switch to a ps3? I had a 360 and loved it. Got rid of it for a while, but now i'm thinking about buying another. just wondering if you guys still feel it's the way to go.
if i didnt have one at all then i would get a ps3. on the pure fact of useability.

but netflix is comming to xbox 360 w/ gold membership.

on top of all that i am starting to think that blu-ray will be the modern day mini-disk. it was a cool technology but didnt last long befor it was replaced.

Willard: When I was home after my first tour, it was worse. I'd wake up and there'd be nothing. I hardly said a word to my wife, until I said "yes" to a divorce. When I was here, I wanted to be there; when I was there, all I could think of was getting back into the jungle.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 11:02 AM
1 piece at a time

Sportbike: Ninja ZX-6'DinoSaki'
Years Riding: Since I joined!
How you found us: teh intarwebz

Send a message via AIM to hexraptor Send a message via MSN to hexraptor Send a message via Yahoo to hexraptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony View Post
Crazy is 100% dead nuts right on this one. I've been saying the same for years. especially since my company is the one putting all of that together. in fact we are doing all of the hosting and HD streaming for the democratic national convention. and xbox live is a huge customer of ours
didn't you have a thread about using fiber-optics for internet?..some sort of huge potential(amount of data you can down/up load, but was cost prohibitive i think.

- Steve
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 11:13 AM
K.I.S.S

Sportbike: CBR600RR & H-D Softail Custom
Years Riding: almost as long as it took to fill this out
How you found us: through a miracle

Send a message via AIM to MikeD
if you got any fiber running to your house you are deffinelty BIG time.

Willard: When I was home after my first tour, it was worse. I'd wake up and there'd be nothing. I hardly said a word to my wife, until I said "yes" to a divorce. When I was here, I wanted to be there; when I was there, all I could think of was getting back into the jungle.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 02:23 PM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

I'd buy xbox 360 over PS3 anyday.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 03:09 PM
pfft.

Sportbike: 01 F4i (Well, I HAD one, anyway)
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: I google myself regularly

I think drama is the new pcohenchicago. In fact, I might even guess that you two are dating and he's your sugar daddy. New bike, new boat, new xbox....hmmmm...... coincidence???
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
Nice price for those thinking of getting a BD player...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PALZE0?tag=brads0e-20

Chris
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 12:21 PM
freaking newbies, man there slow, ha ha ha

Sportbike: 2006 GSXR750
How you found us: Voices in my head told me.

Send a message via AIM to BIGGY Send a message via Yahoo to BIGGY
Quote:
But that prediction isn't anything special. The question is when. When will it be more normal to fire up your TV and stream a movie. Ok we already have On Demand and that seems to work well, yet the DVD and rental market still stay relatively strong. So then it boils down to if BluRay will take off or will we sort of skip ahead and go to streaming. I have an HD tv, and many of the on demand titles are not in hd which is what keeps me from going there. Bandwidth and compression are what Comcast is focusing on. Even if you watch an HD channel, BR or HD DVD absolutely and 100% blow anything Comcast has to offer out of the water.

So On Demand/streaming hasn't quite taken off because the quality is so-so. While BR offers fantastic quality and amazing sound but the price is up there. So we're sort of stuck at the moment between 2 technologies neither one of which is an ideal choice right now. If BR drops in price and movies are sold reasonably, then it will take off and then streaming or on demand will have some time for bandwidth to become cheaper and technology to improve.

We would all rather watch the new Batman on BluRay, but we'd all rather pay the 4.95 on demand rate for it than buying the movie for $20-$30 since most of us would just watch it once.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 12:25 PM
freaking newbies, man there slow, ha ha ha

Sportbike: 2006 GSXR750
How you found us: Voices in my head told me.

Send a message via AIM to BIGGY Send a message via Yahoo to BIGGY
Oh and to respond to the original question. If you're looking at the gaming consoles for the players that are inside, then you shouldn't really buy either one of them. Consoles are meant for games. If you're looking for a DVD player that also happens to play games then your logic seems sort of backwards. Go buy a stand alone player and then buy yourself a handheld PSP or DS since it seems like the gaming part isn't important.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 04:28 PM
Will

Sportbike: 2009 R6 Raven

based on games alone, i'd say go with xbox 360... graphics are pretty much comparable to ps3 and on top of that most of the sony exclusives have been lost and are also on xbox 360.

i was considering getting one as well, then i realized i barely play games anymore... i just go riding now, that's the best kind of entertainment :P

or just get a nice PC
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGGY View Post
Consoles are meant for games. If you're looking for a DVD player that also happens to play games then your logic seems sort of backwards. Go buy a stand alone player and then buy yourself a handheld PSP or DS since it seems like the gaming part isn't important.
A PSP or DS isn't the same thing. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my PSP but it isn't a substitute for a console. Additional gaming fix maybe but the controls and cameras are not what I'd call comparable to any console.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub shih View Post
based on games alone, i'd say go with xbox 360... graphics are pretty much comparable to ps3 and on top of that most of the sony exclusives have been lost and are also on xbox 360.

i was considering getting one as well, then i realized i barely play games anymore... i just go riding now, that's the best kind of entertainment :P

or just get a nice PC
Not the PC thing again! Well PS3 has some killer exclusives coming out. Metal Gear, GT5 and Drake are out now. inFamous, Little Big Planet, and Red Faction 3 are all coming out soon. Sony claims that they plan to release 2 exclusive titles for every 1 360 exclusive in 2009.

Up to maybe June of this year I'd have said the 360 would have clearly been the console for games but that is changing very fast. If you like what people are playing now and you want an inexpensive system I'd still go with the 360. Wait another 3 months and you'll see another $60 price cut. But I'd only buy the Elite version containing the beefier hardware.

Sure, you can get a BR player for $300 but in a year they'll be $150 so why not just pony up an 80gb MGS 4 PS3 and you'll be watching HD movies and playing games well past the 360's sunset.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 07:05 PM

Here you go:
https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...ad.php?t=76695

So Elite is now $400. Compare that to the 80gb PS3 with backwards compatability and BR for the same price. Also, Sony is upgrading the HD of the 80gb to 160gb in a few more weeks for the same $400.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 07:52 PM
Administrator

How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibeemer View Post
Here you go:
https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...ad.php?t=76695

So Elite is now $400. Compare that to the 80gb PS3 with backwards compatability and BR for the same price. Also, Sony is upgrading the HD of the 80gb to 160gb in a few more weeks for the same $400.
And yet I still cant lay with my xbox live friends.

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 08:06 AM

Quote:
And yet I still cant lay with my xbox live friends.

Well like I said, if you already are into the Live mix you might as well stay there. But to me online friends are easy enough to pick up.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 08:32 AM
Will

Sportbike: 2009 R6 Raven

Haha, well like your signature (chibeemer) that's all you really get from the companies PR.

I almost forgot to add though, I believe they will be remaking FF7 and you have God of War 3, both of these games would force me to buy a PS3.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGGY View Post
But that prediction isn't anything special. The question is when. When will it be more normal to fire up your TV and stream a movie.
Right now the last mile is what's holding it up, as well as figuring out who is going to monopolize it. up top the infrastructure is in place, back bone lines are pumping more more data than ever and with more efficiency every day. it's the comcast's, verizon and att's of the world holding it up. upgrading those networks to Fiber to the home is VERY expensive. so it's only being done in brand new subdivisions where it's a new build scenario. people like comcast are reluctant to spend that kind of money so we can dump their movie channels or their on demand and order from a streaming website or god forbid a free movie off the web. it's not a good business move for them. in fact you jus saw this week a story in the news about them capping your bandwidth amount for users to block hi bandwidth users.

- Ronald Reagan

post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Right now the last mile is what's holding it up, as well as figuring out who is going to monopolize it. up top the infrastructure is in place, back bone lines are pumping more more data than ever and with more efficiency every day. it's the comcast's, verizon and att's of the world holding it up. upgrading those networks to Fiber to the home is VERY expensive. so it's only being done in brand new subdivisions where it's a new build scenario. people like comcast are reluctant to spend that kind of money so we can dump their movie channels or their on demand and order from a streaming website or god forbid a free movie off the web. it's not a good business move for them. in fact you jus saw this week a story in the news about them capping your bandwidth amount for users to block hi bandwidth users.
The reason, defined.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 11:59 AM
they call me, Mr. Green

Sportbike: 01 zx-7r
How you found us: a little voice in my head

damn i'm in the same boat as the OP right now. when i was living with my old roommates i had ps3 and a 360 readily available to me all the time. i was a big ps3 guy but then i got into halo 3 online.

my question, is there really that big of a difference when it comes to the games?? the main reason why i'm reluctant to get a 360 is simply the controller. i'm so used to the playstation controller that xbox contollers feel akward to me. i wish there was some clear cut, you have to be an idiot to buy one or the other so my choice would be easy. oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
Old Lady Falls Asleep with Lit Pall Mall 120 and Blaze Erupts?

I've seen it a hundred times.......
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meangreen7r View Post
my question, is there really that big of a difference when it comes to the games??
Well if you've played both then you know. Everything I hear is that the PS3 are slightly sharper. The trade off is the load/save times for PS3 which are slower.

For example, Grand Theft Auto 4 for PS3 has slightly sharper backgrounds (cityscape) but requires a local install.

To me the gameplay is more important than graphics and I suppose that has a lot to do with how the controllers are set up.

In any event, one key aspect that hasn't been discussed is the expanded storage capacity of the BR disk vs the capacity of the HDdvd disk used in the 360. Games like Metal Gear 4 won't be possible on the 360 unless they release a 2 disk set.

Downloading game content is what the 360 plans to focus on so here's to them figuring it out for a game as complex as MGS4. Its not a matter of if but when. My guess is by that time we'll be looking at a new system anyway.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 09:42 PM
The apex was where?

Sportbike: '07 GSX-R 600
Years Riding: Always learning.
How you found us: A vision.

Get a Wii and play wii sports all day...you get virtual exercise and never have to leave the house.

Or my preference is the 360.

as for BR...its a Sony product that was in a product war...remember the last time they had a product war like this...Beta max happened. Granted from a tech standpoint it was better than VHS, but it still failed. And as i have come to know, history repeats itself.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode