Why the obsesion with weight - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Chicagolandsportbikes Comments and Suggestions Comments or feedback on the site? Post it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2003, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: CURRENTLY LOOKING
Years Riding: since I was 8
How you found us: The NET is MINE

Why the obsesion with weight

Maybe when I get as old as some of the ancients I will stop caring... it seems like after 21 my metabolism just checked out of my body... So I need to work out not to gain weight. I love food and even though I try to keep it balanced it does not always work... in any case.

Why are most people obsessed with weight? is it a society thing? I mean skinny people want to gain weight, and then the chubby ones want to lose it... is it just our current times

To put it in perspective, Marylin Monroe was a size 16... and today a lot of people will concider a girl size 16 fat... you now have to be Paris Hilton weight, and be like a size -2 (and by the way laides, can you explain how they get the negative???)

I heard today in the radio that some vallet girl from Russia got fired for being to fat at 105, or 115 pounds...

So why do you guys think that we are so obsessed with weight?

Logtar - John

My Blog - @Logtar - Google+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2003, 07:28 AM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: SBN

I don't know but your making me think about pouring out this quart of chocolate milk I'm chugging on right now.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2003, 07:42 AM

Sportbike: 2000 Hayabusa Blue & Silver! Mods-> Oh yeah!
Years Riding: Oh just a couple or so....
How you found us: Old SBN days.......

https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...threadid=11445

Nuff said!*** N W S ***

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50

Last edited by Labdog; 12-03-2003 at 07:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2003, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Labdog
https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...threadid=11445

Nuff said!

Dang Kelly....you could've put a big old NWS on that.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2003, 07:49 AM

In reality weight is not a prolem to me its just the gross negligence of obesity i have a problem with. Weight limits are "in the eye of the beholder" no pun intended. Seriously.......when you have a a 115 pound model saying she is overweight something is wrong. Then you have a 400 pound person suing fast food joints cause they made him fat its disgusting.

Some people are big boned and some people are naturally skinny. I personally believe its what makes "YOU" the individual happy. If that person is not happy then they should do something about it. I am a good 25 pounds overweight and i am not too overly thrilled about it but ya know what..................................I really enjoyed that Rosati's Wild Buffalo Pizza watching 24 last night!
BTW........(excellent pizza-Pieces of chicken with barbecue sauce and Red Hot sauce in the barbecue sauce with extra cheese.)
YUMM YUMM!

Just remember John, i don't look at you as overweight______just Horizontally challenged!

J/K BUD!

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2003, 07:51 AM

Gotcha Bri...

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2003, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
My metabolism checked out at 23. When I'm in shape I feel better, not just physically but mentally. Oh, and chicks dig it. hahahhaha!

Chris
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2003, 08:04 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
John,

No one is obsessed, with weight, or at least no one on this board. What we do obsess about is looking good. I'll admit it I'm vain I'm 46, and I have gotten worse about my vanity, but at the same time, people tell me I don't look 46, why? Because I take care of myself. I don't stress out about my weight, what I stress out about is looking like an italian sausage in my leathers If I look good, I feel good, if I feel good, I'm happier, if I'm happier, I work harder, if I work harder, I am more successful, if I'm succesful, I feel good, if I feel good I must look good. Get the drift? It's about attitude.

Rick

PS........If i'm obsessed with my weight, and keep control of it, I can do the thing I enjoy the most.................EAT

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2003, 08:11 AM
I'm always learning......

Sportbike: 2k14 FLHXS, 1981 FXE, 1949 HD EL Panhead, Yami PW80
Years Riding: Long, long, long, long, long time.
How you found us: GPS

John,

I wouldn't worry about my weight if I were you. Heck, just because your waistline is approaching my age doesn't mean you're fat.

Rick,

You really don't look 46. I bet you did when you were though.

J/K guys.

Synthetic Lifelike Organism Responsible for Observation and Logical Learning - SLOROLL

Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. Zappa 1974

And I said....."Look here brother, who you jiving with that cosmik debris? Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho? Zappa 1974
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2003, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RickC1957
I'll admit it I'm vain I'm 46, and I have gotten worse about my vanity,

Then explain the hat in your avatar!!

J/K Rick!

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2003, 12:34 PM
freaking newbies, man there slow, ha ha ha

Sportbike: Big Wheel
Years Riding: Since 3
How you found us: This is required?

The people that are overly obsessed with their weight have other problems with low self esteem and things of that nature that need to be addressed instead.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2003, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CRAZe Inc
The people that are overly obsessed with their weight have other problems with low self esteem and things of that nature that need to be addressed instead.

True.....which is why a distinction should be made between obsession and the pure desire to be healthy.

I've always been conscience of my weight. I hate the fact that I'm a bit on the fluffy side right now. I'll probably diet and start working out again after I finish my MBA. I don't think I have self-esteem issues at all. I just want to be healthy. Heck......I'm married so it ain't even for the chicks

Health issues run wild in my family BJ so if I seem obsessed at any point in time to you just know it's not because I have mental issues (with self-esteem anyway ) It's because I don't want to have a stroke and be paralyzed for the rest of my life when I'm 35, or die of cancer at 50, or be in and out of hospitals having by-passes, and taking 40 pills a day when I get older. I want to do anything I can that would possibly avoid that

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2003, 12:43 PM
Head Stepper

Sportbike: TREKK
Years Riding: 9
How you found us: member referal

Send a message via AIM to Pirate Send a message via Yahoo to Pirate
Quote:
Originally posted by Vcook
Oh, and chicks dig it.
True dat!!

<-------- Jeff

Hey baby! You ever been on the back of an expensive sportbike??

Property of Evil Monkey Racing
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2003, 12:59 PM
freaking newbies, man there slow, ha ha ha

Sportbike: Big Wheel
Years Riding: Since 3
How you found us: This is required?

Quote:
Originally posted by Crazy
I've always been conscience of my weight. I hate the fact that I'm a bit on the fluffy side right now. I'll probably diet and start working out again after I finish my MBA. I don't think I have self-esteem issues at all. I just want to be healthy. Heck......I'm married so it ain't even for the chicks
Nah, don't get me wrong Brian. I constantly wish I didn't have this beer gut, but I'm not freaking out about it and realize if I want to get in shape it's up to me to make the effort.

Things like women that weigh 110lbs and think they're too fat is more what I'm referring to.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2003, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

I also have heart problems history in my family and even though I am young I do keep that in mind. I think my question was more directed towards why is weight such a factor now a days... I think in the past it was not... I mean is society to blame... or ourselves. I know in my lifetime there has been changes.

I remember where the current McD's Drink Medium used to be the Large and that was it. Now there is Small, Medium, Large, X-Large and it seems like pretty soon they are going to sell barrels or whatever.

Logtar - John

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2003, 05:35 PM
G97
I heart NEG REP

Sportbike: Fast One
Years Riding: 32 years
How you found us: ?

For me I am more concerned with my weight while racing. At just over 6 feet and 180lbs that is considered big. Two years ago I starved myself down to 163lbs and could tell a difference. I will say it seems as though I have to work my ass off to stay trim.

GARTH
www.nesba.com
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2003, 06:41 PM
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
Garth, stop depressing me. I need to drop a good 60 lbs by April and am having serious motivation issues. I haven't seen 163 since I was 15 years old.

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2003, 06:50 PM
Joe Momma...

Sportbike: None
Years Riding: 1,2,4,5 count d'z rocks biatch!
How you found us: member

Send a message via AIM to JoJo
I think people bitch about their weight cause they like to complain about stuff. Probably not everyone but a lot of people. I don't know, but it seems like they like it for some reason.

My name is JB, people call me JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy
"I wouldn't be surprised to see this guy catch a pass with his ass cheeks"
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2003, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

One way or another it seems like most of us have an interest, and I think we can help each other achieve our goals. Crazy put it best... is about being healthy not just being skinny. Even though if I do achieve having a six pack some day I would not mind hey dreaming is free.

Logtar - John

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 10:59 AM
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

Re: Why the obsesion with weight

Quote:
Originally posted by logtar
Maybe when I get as old as some of the ancients I will stop caring... it seems like after 21 my metabolism just checked out of my body... So I need to work out not to gain weight. I love food and even though I try to keep it balanced it does not always work... in any case.

Why are most people obsessed with weight? is it a society thing? I mean skinny people want to gain weight, and then the chubby ones want to lose it... is it just our current times

To put it in perspective, Marylin Monroe was a size 16... and today a lot of people will concider a girl size 16 fat... you now have to be Paris Hilton weight, and be like a size -2 (and by the way laides, can you explain how they get the negative???)

I heard today in the radio that some vallet girl from Russia got fired for being to fat at 105, or 115 pounds...

So why do you guys think that we are so obsessed with weight?
If you think your metabolism checked out at 21 just wait till 40. I don't think skinny people want to gain weight per say. Most want muscle mass. The chubby don't want to loose muscle mass, they want to loose fat. Fat % is the issue not weight.

The definition of female beauty has changed over time. The healthy plump baby machines have been replaced with a playmate. So a fit "sports" body is more of the new ideal. Paris Skank, is just a drugged out skinny bitch. I don't consider her beautiful, but she is a whole lot better than some 240 pound beast. I also think that the focus on leaner is driving many of the boob jobs. Think about it. Many girls have the mindset where they wants to be pretty. So they work out and stays thin. Because of the low body fat content they will have smaller boobs, but boys like boobs. So to improve their self image they buy (or her boyfriend buys) boobs. Don't get me wrong, I like looking at a nice rack as much as any guy, but I think is sort of sad. IMO, most were fine before they went with store bought assets.

BTW, the ballerina wasn't fired because of her weight. She was fired because of how big a star she became on and off the stage. It was politics and they blamed it on weight. In Russia, imagine that... BTW, I think they re-hired her.

In my case, I do want to look as good as I can for multiple reasons. I like to be fit. I want to be healthy. I like sports and sports are easier if you are fit. I like to look good for my girls (innocent, but long story). I'm in sales (Yes it does make a BIG difference.). My wife is almost 10 years younger than me and an x model. I'm 47 and have a 3 year old and want to be healthy and active for her for years to come. Finally I just don't want to go yuck when I look in a mirror. If I look good I feel better about my self, which encourages me to do things that help me look good. Too bad I can't do too much about my ugly mug.

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.

Last edited by Blade Runner; 12-04-2003 at 11:02 AM.
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 11:26 AM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
I've been reading the articles on weight in the papers. Seems America is getting fat, according to them. But, like everything else, its so subjective. I'm 5'8" and weigh 163lbs, which is overweight according to the charts all these article are quoting. They say I should weigh 125-150. Whatever!!! I haven't seen those numbers since before I joined the Army. And I don't think those of us with six-pack stomachs should be considered overweight. BEEFCAKE!!!!!!

People need to stop complaining about everything. Be happy with yourself!!!

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode