WE ALL need to talk about the possibility of a news paper article being done about us - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Chicagolandsportbikes Comments and Suggestions Comments or feedback on the site? Post it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

WE ALL need to talk about the possibility of a news paper article being done about us

Well, I was approached today in naperville from a guy that works for the SUN new paper. Since I guess you guys told him I run things he found his way to me and let me know what he was doing and I told him ill get back to him on it.

I guess the program they are doing is called AMERICA 24/7
in which thousands of students, and amateurs are conducting a one week documentary of life across America. They are trying to create a compelling national portrait at a pivotal point in the country's history.

Well, I guess he wants to do bikes.

My question is what do you guys think about this.
We could do ALL KIND of good stuff about US and the way we ride. I think we are a bunch of diverse riders on this board, from street, to raceing,to drag racing, to and not much of stunting.
NOW this could be a double edge sword at the same time...someone, just 1 person messes it up and the whole story could be turned into something like motorcycles that terrorize motorist on city streets. Get my meaning.

Not to mention and I don't know the whole deal but I remember a story on SBN about some guy doing stunts and the reporter got him on camera, later turns into the city wanting to nail the guy and bla bla bla, big trouble for him. Also this could turn into me and Tony leading a bunch of hooligans all over and God knows what then.

But I like to think positive and maybe get people to think about about rocket guys, we have TONS of unity around here and by far we care about ourselves, we really don't stunt that much, but like anyone else we speed from time to time.
This guy asked if we could at some point take a picture of us all lined up to, even maybe following us on a group ride.

once he asked about following following us..(which i don't know the whole story) that SBN story popped in my head and i was LIKE hey this isn't some bad report thing your doing on bikes are ya? he said OH NO!. not to mention he approached me in naperville and well you guys know the story with cops and bikes in that town. so who knows where this could go. plus i didn't get the whole story of what this guy is leaning towards with his story. Weither it be positive or negative, or maybe simply write about what he see's.

If this is something we all want to be a part of...for GOOD. Then I will look into it and try to get some kind of written agreement in which anything that gets documented I get say so weither or not it gets released.
but I highly doubt anything I do can alter what they wanna do cause its free speech and all.

So like I said. Its a 2 way street. we wanna turn head heads with OUR group and show people, not all rocket guys are assholes and more so yes there is great people and nice people that obey the law.

OR

We can totally fuck it up by 1 guy saying the wrong thing, or doing a wheelie or cut cars off or speeding etc. to give a bad look.

I don't know, me personally I would like to show a different outlook with a positive thing about us here at C.L.S.B. and how we are MOST of the time...lol. cause we all know we get frisky from time to time.

What's your thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 11:26 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
I do think it would be cool. but like you said it could be a double edged sword. I'm not so keen on him following us around. but still photos at meets or something would be cool. If we are gonna do this we should set up a meet with the 3 of ken.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 11:29 PM
Retired Moderator

Sportbike: 2k1 929 and 95 RS125
Years Riding: sparse few
How you found us: hallucination

was he the guy taking pics of us at stats tonight? I dunno - could be a good thing and you're right - for the most part we are a responsible group but I'd be *very* sure he's on the level 1st.

* if accidentally viewed induce vomiting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

i totally agree tony, i told him i would need to talk to my partner (tony) and we will get back to him.

and i kinda agree with not videoing us riding around.
(but it would still be cool but it could be bad) etc.
(almost would like to keep the following us footage out of this)

post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 11:30 PM

Sportbike: 2002 Turbo Hayabusa
Years Riding: Lost Track
How you found us: Tony

As far as following and photos, seems like a very bad idea to me.

You'll have to understand if I'm suspicious. It seems very unlikely that they want to put a positive spin on this.

I'm not saying no, but I would proceed with caution. As you said all it takes is one person and their looking for a spin to smear us all.

I don't know.

Dave
post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

no steve that was just some old guy.
i dont know who that dude was, major some some admirier of my good looks...hahaha

post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

i am too dave. to weird.
but also me and tony would need to sit down and talk to this guy.
(also let him know bad things could happen if we get screwed with!)

but i agree.

post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 11:42 PM
It wasn't me! Officer

Sportbike: 01'R6
Years Riding: 3 w/training wheels

Send a message via AIM to akumaR6
Sorry ody, myself and r6sinner kind of spilled the beans on you
I hope that didn't piss you off

we were both weary about what to tell him and what not to so we directed him over to you figuring that you were the person to talk to and that you had all the answers.
cause u know your like a father to us

I know u were about to leave so I hope he didn't keep u long
I apologize for throwing him your way, I was just like yeah go talk to that cool bald guy w/ the death shirt.
post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 11:44 PM
Administrator

How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

LOL Ken remember he is probably reading this right now

Considering the liberal slant of the media I am a little worried about this.

LOL, I knew youd love that Dave

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 11:45 PM

It wouldn't hurt to remember that he could already be following some threads here, including this one.

It's really a damn shame that society has taken such a direction as to have to be so suspicious of what could be a perfectly innocent human interest story.

Did he say how exactly they're deciding who to interview and to what end?

Dave
post #11 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GsxrTony

Considering the liberal slant of the media I am a little worried about this.
Ha ha!

I figured that was for my benefit. We all know the strict law-and-order conservatives would be nothing to worry about!

And the Naperville Sun, the last bastion of liberal media.

Dave
post #12 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 11:55 PM

What is their view of a "pivotal point in American history"? Why is this point any more pivotal than any other point and how do a bunch of sportbike enthusiasts hanging at Starbucks fit into their portrayal?

By the way, some of the high school students have done brief interviews in front of Starbucks for a couple of years now. I couldn't say for sure what they did with the footage, but I believe it airs on the community TV channel. I believe it was for their broadcast classes.

Dave
post #13 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 12:05 AM
"PC" ,my balls

Sportbike: '02 GSXR1000 (street),'02 GSXR600 (track),'94CR125 (dirt), 3x pocketbikes (oval), KTMs x 3
Years Riding: 20 years
How you found us: Google search

What do we have to gain vs. what we have to lose. Ultimately it's Tony and Ken that will be affected. If attention (especially of the red/blue light kind) is drawn to us it would have serious consequences for the site. No posting of group rides, no after the ride report, no admitting wrong doing or posting wheelie pics on the site. If you guys want to get the publicity to promote the site it's your call. Me, I say if he wants to write about us, buy a sportbike, join a group ride, and try to keep up.

My wife thinks we're a bunch of Top Gun wannabes with our call signs, so for future reference, I'm Roger

I've done some things I'm not proud of...and the things I am proud of are disgusting - Moe on the Simpsons
post #14 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 12:17 AM
It wasn't me! Officer

Sportbike: 01'R6
Years Riding: 3 w/training wheels

Send a message via AIM to akumaR6
Quote:
Originally posted by bluebusa60544
Me, I say if he wants to write about us, buy a sportbike, join a group ride, and try to keep up.

right thats what he should do but I talked to that guy, and he would probably pull up in a pocket bike.

all in all I think that we don't need more publicity, plus it would be a bad idea for him to follow us anywhere.

but that just my
2cents
post #15 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 12:19 AM

Sportbike: '01 CBR 600F4I

Send a message via AIM to KEVSF4I
I know I'm new here, but...I've worked with a lot of media dealing with my job. Although the intent may seem good, you can never trust where it all ends up.

I'm not saying I wouldn't do it, you guys deserve a lot of credit for running a clean fun group, but make sure you check this guy out. What kind of stories does he typically print?

:-
post #16 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 12:32 AM
Administrator

I still want to put billboards up on all the highways

- Ronald Reagan

post #17 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 06:05 AM
Jim
Tgf Og

Sportbike: trek
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: the smell

here is my vote for staying out of it. no thanks, dont bring him to any of my rides please. we dont want the publicity, nor do we need it. but its your site do as you wish, but i will have no part of a reporter following me on a ride.

Join the NRA, help protect our Second Amendment rights
GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #18 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 06:25 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
I say do it, BUT, since you cannot control the media, you can "control" the ride. Yep, pick the people for the ride, sane responsible people, do not talk about how fast your bike will go, instead, tell them it's as fast as an sports car, but handles much better, if they ask you about the most scariest moment on the bike, instead of telling them about the wheelie that got away, tell them about the cager that almost ran you off the road. If they ask you about any crashes you had, tell them the funny one about the time you forgot to put your sidestand down and you tipped over. Don't wear the T-shirt that reads "If speed kills I must be dead!" If you go to a bar, eat and drink soda, don't be guzzling beer and then go riding. Get as many women riding as you can, get as many minorities as you can, do take them on some nice back roads, but not where you do your demon runs. Try to get in touch with the local PD and have them along for the ride. Get Ken to do one of his teaching classes for the new riders, shit I can type for hours.

Rick

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #19 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 06:35 AM

Sportbike: 2004 RC51 Nicky Hayden Edition, 07 CBR1000RR
Years Riding: long enough
How you found us: fireblades.org members

I am with RickC1957. It would be cool if it was controlled by you guys, not the media. Give them what you want them to see, not what they want to see.
post #20 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 08:12 AM

Sportbike: CURRENTLY LOOKING
Years Riding: since I was 8
How you found us: The NET is MINE

Well,

Here is my whole take on it, I agree with bluebusa60544 that the ultimate decision is Ken and Tony's... why, well not only do they run the board but they would be the most affected if the story does go south or there is some kind of repercusion.... I mean even in the best case scenario that we get some positive exposure we could also get overexposed and have big brother on us more than what we already do. I am more skeptical than anything but it if has to be done hey, we need to investigate this dude pretty good, see what he has done in the past, and just make sure we can get a hold of him afterwards for our congratulations on an excellent story

With that said, if your ultimate decision is to do it, then I'm with Rick about it being a controlled thing and not just this dude following people(which he might already be doing if he is reading this) and I am all for helping out and filling in some of the minority quota

Logtar - John

My Blog - @Logtar - Google+
post #21 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by logtar

...and not just this dude following people(which he might already be doing if he is reading this)...
I think I can pretty safely say he has not been following us around on any ride that I've been backmarker.

Dave
post #22 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 08:45 AM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: SBN

After seeing how the media works day in and day out at work..........I VOTE NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's really up to Ken and Tony as said, but my take on it is this. If we allow this guy to follow us around he's not looking for a bunch of guys that eat at Strats and cruise to downtown Naperville doing the speed limit. He's looking for something more exciting to attract his readers. The only way we should do this is Tony and Ken monitor every interview and ride. This is their reputation. All it will take is one stragler to join the ride and crank a standup and this guy focus's on him at our expense. It could be positive for us if the guy is cool. Who knows maybe he rides too. Feel him out a bit. But I bet he is looking for a stunna street racer type culture to bring him fame. I'm with you guys if you want it to do this but I'm not sure it's a good idea.

Something to think about: Ken: you've always been concerned about rocket reputations. There is a decent opportunity this could hurt it bad and locally at that. The exposure, good or bad, will very likely be good for the site. There's no such thing as bad press, so they say. So it may be a moral dilema for you guys.

btw: he could be reading this right now and be counting on using it against us so I'd be careful what we say here in the open.
my .02

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
post #23 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 09:01 AM
I'm always learning......

Sportbike: 2k14 FLHXS, 1981 FXE, 1949 HD EL Panhead, Yami PW80
Years Riding: Long, long, long, long, long time.
How you found us: GPS

I,ve come across this situation in my other hobbie/passion, aerobatic flying. We, aerobatic pilots, have been thought of by many as the hooligans of the sky for years. You know, the risk takers. The people that so called normal people think are crazy or have some kind of death wish. At an acro contest we organized about a year ago I was approached by a reporter from a local newspaper that wanted to do an article on us. We agreed and let him interview a few pilots and we even took him up for a ride, although it was a non-areobatic ride. We did have one of the acro planes fly in close formation to give him a good look at what it's like and the skill it takes to do what we do. We explained that we were all highly experienced pilots that were performing highly thought out and planned sequences of maneauvers. At all times we preached safety procedures and practiced what we preached. I think he was a bit overwhelmed but left with a better understanding of what we do. The article turned out to be a short piece with a positive spin. A little good press never hurts.

Synthetic Lifelike Organism Responsible for Observation and Logical Learning - SLOROLL

Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. Zappa 1974

And I said....."Look here brother, who you jiving with that cosmik debris? Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho? Zappa 1974
post #24 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 09:06 AM

Sportbike: none. :(
Years Riding: 4+
How you found us: another member

I am up in the air on this issue. I dont like the idea of possible negative press but I also think that if we do our homework on this guy we could benefit from this and start to change the negative view sportbikes get.

If in fact he is reading this, then he should know that we are not trying to put up a false look to what we are about. Saying we will hand pick the riders we bring on a ride for him is simply a way to give respect to those who deserve it and put a lot of hard work into this site. Since one wrong answer can turn a good story about how responsible we are into a slug fest, I think those who have the most to lose should take charge. (If that made any sense I am happy) I do agree with the hand picking of the riders though so that the riders who have been around the longest and have a good head on their shoulders would have the opportunity to represent us responsibly.

However, since I am on the fense about this decision, I would agree with whatever decision comes forward. I agree very strongly with RickC1957 with his ideas if we are to move forward with this guy.

"No dig up stupid."

Chief Quimby
post #25 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 09:15 AM

Sportbike: CURRENTLY LOOKING
Years Riding: since I was 8
How you found us: The NET is MINE

Rick, keep on talking I think those are some pretty good pointers. Now on the PD thing, I have a friend on the South Elgin PD that would probably be willing to hear us out and maybe follow a ride... there are some nice places for pics along RT31(the fox River) that could turn out pretty good, and putting a postive spin on things. I say always be nice to cops because they most likely be the ones helping you if something bad happens.

Logtar - John

My Blog - @Logtar - Google+
post #26 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 09:18 AM

Sportbike: 2000 Hayabusa Blue & Silver! Mods-> Oh yeah!
Years Riding: Oh just a couple or so....
How you found us: Old SBN days.......

Well after consideration i think it would be a GREAT idea for the club in a controlled environment. Like Rick said have em report on Ken's great class and a tuesday meet and if we chose to allow a photo of a ride we just have to be our "COMMON SENSE" at it's best ride. I do like the idea of having police notification and all but on the downside we could be viewed as street punks which i doubt because everyone wears gear and we hardly ever unless defensive reasons ever endanger anyone. It would be nice to have our before the ride speech and such reported on because i am sure we could influence some young dumb squid that hey it is cool to wear a helmet and ride responsibly!

I think we could do some good here and TONY / KEN i also believe the press may bring in sponsors and help pay the bills for the site as well as bring in some goodies to us IE.....Hats shirts what not. (maybe a couple BILLBOARDS?

As well being Devils advocate........1 rider could bring us down in flames!

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #27 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 09:27 AM
stuck in 6th gear

Sportbike: '99 SV650, GSX-R1K2, CRF230F5, '08 HM-S
Years Riding: not enough lately *(&%# work...
How you found us: LBK back in the day

check out his creds. see some of his past articles and see if he's an alright guy or some hack & slash writer that chops down everybody at the knees
post #28 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 09:47 AM
Special Agent Lance Boyle

Sportbike: 2010 KX250F
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Sportbike Network

Send a message via AIM to Sticky
I say we hold out for Dave Despain!

<--------Sticky Nicky
post #29 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

<~ is 50/50 after reading all this.

at the same sence. WE us riders, know about us. we US have been taking other riders and doing good, growing, exspanding more better riding habbits, and so on and so on. just by us the bikers are getting the word out and or when someone finds us...they usually stay cause they meet some cool people and and can see we love to ride, and not be nut cases.

we are growing lil by lil, and its all from mostly word of mouth from 1 good rider to the next.

so i am almost to a point..where some guys that doesnt even ride, doesnt understand what a biker goes threw and deals with, and the differant styles of motorcycling. i almost dont think its worth the time. now maybe if this was a motorcycle magazine and a rider wanted to talk to us...THEN it sounds like someone that can understand us.

unless i totally lay down the land about guys and gals on bikes, and how our world is....but this morning i dont feel like playing dada to someone. (grouchy).

and no problem about sending him my way. thats what i am here for.

post #30 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 10:14 AM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: SBN

Quote:
Originally posted by Odysseys

unless i totally lay down the land about guys and gals on bikes, and how our world is....but this morning i dont feel like playing dada to someone. (grouchy).

and no problem about sending him my way. thats what i am here for.

We could always write an article ourselves and submitt it for publication where we want it published. That way we are in control.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode