OK so now that you read how everything works, what can you suggest? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Chicagolandsportbikes Comments and Suggestions Comments or feedback on the site? Post it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 116 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

OK so now that you read how everything works, what can you suggest?

please read this all https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...85#post1114085

and then if you want to make a difference towards possibly a better solution please share.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 116 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 01:24 PM
Serious inquiries only

Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Mort82
Sumo suit wrestling for people who wanna argue online.

post #3 of 116 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 01:36 PM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

I, quite honestly have no ideas other than time frames for the memberships and perks that may or may not go with them, so you could realize re-curring income for the bills. At that point, though, depending on participation you may be breaking into the "for-profit" region, and I don't know if you want to go there or not (if participation is low, you could write it off, but its still money out of your pocket). Also, at that point, the idea of keeping it "free" starts to deteriorate.

Anyway, I DO know I wouldn't want to be you in todays litigious environment.

Heres to ya bro.

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 116 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 01:40 PM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
It was a good write up, Ken. Very interesting read and quite informative.

For my own curiousity was it a History of CLSB, or an Inner Workings of the CLSB Machine kind of thing?

If it was a history then how about mentioning all the cool stuff we do offline and how we've grown from bikes to almost every hobby imaginable.

If not then disregard.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #5 of 116 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chills View Post
It was a good write up, Ken. Very interesting read and quite informative.

For my own curiousity was it a History of CLSB, or an Inner Workings of the CLSB Machine kind of thing?

If it was a history then how about mentioning all the cool stuff we do offline and how we've grown from bikes to almost every hobby imaginable.

If not then disregard.
its more of a progression story if you will. how it started and where its lead to todays issues at hand and maybe another direction we can find these solutions that a % of the board might feel but not think they can talk about for what ever reason. which is why i am all ears all the time to improve things if it can be done with all collective efforts being met. not for the 1 or the few but the majority.

as far as talking about all thats good that i or we or a % of the board does. thats a possibility but sometimes i feel its not needed, i dont like talking about myself in 3rd party sense to somehow raise or prise to pat myself on my back.

i let others do it cause its more honest, its more then sucking my own dick.

the same for others, its best when they give there fellow member praise for the things they do.

thats my thoughts.

post #6 of 116 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 01:48 PM
The Violator

Sportbike: A little bit of everything.
Years Riding: Not nearly enough!
How you found us: On a ride in Colorado

Soup to nuts, what is the total monthly cost of operating this board (including enough liability ins to cover you & Tony)?
post #7 of 116 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy View Post
Soup to nuts, what is the total monthly cost of operating this board (including enough liability ins to cover you & Tony)?
i don't discuss finances when its nobody's business but mine and tonys.

if this was a membership only website there would be a declaration of public accounting disclosed.

in short its gonna cost us a few thousand a year and i see it can possible get even higher at the growth rate and legal issues if something isnt turned around or all members in compliance for the cause of keeping it free to all, but off set my vendor monies.

i am now looking for solutions not more behind the scene footage

post #8 of 116 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 02:04 PM
The Violator

Sorry Ken, didn't mean to pry! I just wondered what the totals were before tossing ideas around.

There are tons of fundraising ideas out there but most don't fit this crowd real well.

Personally, I'm all for a small membership fee. Of the 6k members, what percentage are active? Assuming a low number, even a few dollars per year from each active member would cover the nut. I don't know many people that honestly feel this place isn't worth at least a few bucks each season!

Edit: FWIW I'd also rather pay a few bones than see ad content on the site.

Last edited by Troy; 05-16-2008 at 02:09 PM.
post #9 of 116 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 02:05 PM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

Pssst...Troy divide a few thousand by 12.
post #10 of 116 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

Quote:
Sorry Ken, didn't mean to pry! I just wondered what the totals were before tossing ideas out there.

There are tons of fundraising ideas out there but most don't fit this crowd real well.

Personally, I'm all for a small membership fee. Of the 6k members, what percentage are active? Assuming a low number, even a few dollars per year from each active member would cover the nut. I don't know many people that honestly feel this place isn't worth at least a few bucks each season!
not a problem but, like i said in my thread we didnt want to close the site off and make it a membership only site. it closes the doors and limits our interaction with anyone reading to learn or it suckers them in to participate if it was a closed board.

i hate sites like that its like a trick to get member count up to try to offset to take to advertisers to get money from them.

instead i rely and sacrifice what i feel is a good alternative to it all.

keep it open for all the see and read, if people think they fit in they can sign up for free and be a member and talk or just sign up to be a member cause they like the site and if they never decide to post thats there choice.

get advertisers to drop some coin and also try to manage it all between community and advertising business for a mutual benefit for us all.

so 1 i hope i cleared things up. i am not trying to shut peoples mouth they are free to bash or talk good of any advertiser even a CLSB advertiser. but when its bad, lets take care of it off the board and if a compromise cant be agreed that satisfied both parties and i agree its fucked up.

LET THEM HAVE IT!

post #11 of 116 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 02:23 PM
The Violator

Perhaps a bike raffle...

How much revenue can a decent bikini bike wash generate??

How about part donations for items to be sold on e-bay? How many people on here have spares laying around they'll never use/sell after making upgrades? I know I do.
post #12 of 116 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

Quote:
Perhaps a bike raffle...

How much revenue can a decent bikini bike wash generate??

How about part donations for items to be sold on e-bay? How many people on here have spares laying around they'll never use/sell after making upgrades? I know I do.
thats not bad, my only issue is a constant cash flow security to handle all issues and create a nest egg to draw from when extra issues arise. kinda like how we all deal with our day to day finances. its the same with clsb or a business.

the site needs financial security

so as always i am doing the best i can to fill all needs.

post #13 of 116 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

got this from a member that doesn't mind me sharing it but he wants to be kept private.

Quote:
There are always going to be issues with sites like yours because people feel they have a pulpit to preach from and that they know how to do things better than you.

Remember I asked you about advertising on the site and your rates seemed fair the one thing that held me back was some of the members. I could just seeing them contacting *********and jump through all sorts of hoops for a item only to say I found it 10 dollars cheaper on the internet. So I bought it there. You would see the same issues . You could say CLSB members get a 10% discount and you would get a handful that would complain that they drove all the way there and were upset at the cost still.

I have noticed that forums bring out the biggest and cheapest critics there are. It was almost impossible to get some members to cough up a lousy 10 bucks to do a raffle but yet there were no shortage of critics about it.

Plus you have to understand that people do not pay attention to anything.

You guys run a very neat and clean site that I really appreciate and that is why I am a loyal member.

There are only two ways to go a complete free-for-all mess that has random advertisers, or you have set ground rules that must be adhered to.

Keep up you good work try not to take it personal which is hard since it is your baby and if I have any more thoughts I will pass them along.

post #14 of 116 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 03:31 PM
Zydrate addict

Sportbike: no more riding for me :(
Years Riding: ridin what?
How you found us: I lost a bet, this was my punishment

Send a message via AIM to Piercedqt78
I am a member on a site that offers things for "sale". Members can buy the right to a larger avatar, or more pm space. You can also "buy" different smilies. If you donate, there are perks that are given. No one is require to donate, but there is a "members" only room for those that do. Just an idea. ~Mandy

I don't ride, I cook!
post #15 of 116 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 03:44 PM
King Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piercedqt78 View Post
I am a member on a site that offers things for "sale". Members can buy the right to a larger avatar, or more pm space. You can also "buy" different smilies. If you donate, there are perks that are given. No one is require to donate, but there is a "members" only room for those that do. Just an idea. ~Mandy
Ken, that is sounding dangerously close to "mafia battle"

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #16 of 116 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 03:47 PM
Zydrate addict

Sportbike: no more riding for me :(
Years Riding: ridin what?
How you found us: I lost a bet, this was my punishment

Send a message via AIM to Piercedqt78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
Ken, that is sounding dangerously close to "mafia battle"

I don't ride, I cook!
post #17 of 116 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piercedqt78 View Post
some of those are ideas we have and are working on. thanks for the issue on donation perks.

a private forum within a forum we thought about that too, kinda like the more exact down to the point info ya need when ya need it with less bullshit.

we havent yet figured how well that will work, but its something me and tony have gone back and forth about for years.

it still boils down to a free side, and a membership side. and although it might work. my biggest issue is that info not getting to everyone for all to share and learn from and most of all once again there might be conflicting issues, IE: i am a member here so you need to suck me off and be thankfull and let me do what ever we want.

its then turns into how do we moderate whats best for the majority when its a membership fee and they paid for that right to say. i love eating popo in the morning and odysseys can take it up the ass for all i care (used my self to show if someone is arguing or flaming)

its a weird issue thats for sure!

but always i am open to suggestions.

Last edited by Odysseys; 05-16-2008 at 03:53 PM.
post #18 of 116 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 03:53 PM
G2G

Sportbike: It changes everyday
Years Riding: since 1991
How you found us: Ur mom

$20 a member. Problem solved.
post #19 of 116 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G View Post
$20 a member. Problem solved.
read above post steve for a private membership area amoung a open forum.

OR are you suggesting, shut the doors now, and hold everyones account in limbo till we receive 20 bucks per year membership and then re activate there account. and all new comers will need to be a 20 buck a year member and then they can get in.

ok thats 1 way. but i feel currently that will stun our growth and whom ever knows nothing about CLSB will never dish out 20 bucks to see what its about.

food for thought, lets tweak it better though for this suggestion. but man if just 2000 people donated 20 bucks a year thats 40,000 a year the shit i could buy and do with us, and even pay myself and tony and the mods a little fundage to help the site and stuff for the members for partys would through the fucken roof awesome.

its almost my dream..roflmao!

but i dont know.

post #20 of 116 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 03:59 PM
G2G

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Yes to your second paragraph
post #21 of 116 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

Quote:
You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Yes to your second paragraph
i edited my post re read it for shits and giggles.

i get your point though. pay for the cake and eat it. cause i be baking some good fucken cakes!...lol

post #22 of 116 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 04:03 PM
G2G

Then drop the membership down to 5 dollars or even 10. You will not get the moeny from every member you have on the site because i bet half of the members that are registared don't even come to this site anymore.
post #23 of 116 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

Quote:
Then drop the membership down to 5 dollars or even 10. You will not get the moeny from every member you have on the site because i bet half of the members that are registared don't even come to this site anymore.
+1 on all accounts which is why i figured instead of doing all of that just add the donation link like we finally did. it allows it to be fully open and along with the couple bucks we pull in from advertising it helps pay all the bills and also started a nest egg for up coming issues and also our expenses of protecting the site and its owners.

i know donations are for the sake of giving with out anything in return, but still me and tony like to ackolage a thank you and also create a perk program that will also maybe get others to donate for a reason.

i know we all are thankful and show our appreciation in ways and sometimes we cant cant afford all the little things.

so to the majority they will receive what we can give, and we will create new things and account perks for members that gave. it eats up more resources but hey they helped us and its like 1 big circle.

post #24 of 116 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 04:12 PM
Model citizen

Sportbike: ktm
Years Riding: a few
How you found us: SBN

maybe something like a membership drive once a year.

Open the site up free to all for a month or two or three, (probally in the spring). Then once that time is up, membership closes. Everyone pays $20 or $10 or whatever, for the year to stick around.

You could pass out business cards durring the membership drive at Protillos and where ever. People who like the site for the first few months and find this place usefull can pay and stick around. Otherwise their account gets deactivated when the free time is over.

Most of the new membership is in the spring anyway. It would also add a little buzz to the site. Ive never really heard of any other site doing it like that. But people would talk about it

Eric
post #25 of 116 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

i see your point.

maynard, once again keep the suggestions coming, me and tony will evaluate everything and tear each idea apart till we feel its the best one.

we always done it that way, we always will no matter if we think of them or members suggest them.

we try which is key.

post #26 of 116 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 04:17 PM
You got the talkin' done

Sportbike: 2016 Honda Africa Twin & 1979 Honda CB750F
Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!
How you found us: Loose Lips Sink Ships, Loose Wires Cause Fires

I think the graphic banner should be changed (with Strat's removed) before I pay anything.

I mean how is that fair that they get free advertising on my dime?

If you ain't with us, then it's just bad news.
post #27 of 116 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 04:21 PM
King Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseys View Post
read above post steve for a private membership area amoung a open forum.

OR are you suggesting, shut the doors now, and hold everyones account in limbo till we receive 20 bucks per year membership and then re activate there account. and all new comers will need to be a 20 buck a year member and then they can get in.

ok thats 1 way. but i feel currently that will stun our growth and whom ever knows nothing about CLSB will never dish out 20 bucks to see what its about.

food for thought, lets tweak it better though for this suggestion. but man if just 2000 people donated 20 bucks a year thats 40,000 a year the shit i could buy and do with us, and even pay myself and tony and the mods a little fundage to help the site and stuff for the members for partys would through the fucken roof awesome.

its almost my dream..roflmao!

but i dont know.
Heres the reality, since you put the donate button up, how many peeps actually donated, not asking for dollar amounts, just what percentage of the users actually are willing to pay for the site. That may be an indicator of how much you would have to charge.

Theoretical:
if 2 members paid on 100 total members = 2% (whatever that real % is based on your actual donations is - I dont know)

Assumption made is that that % willing to pay would remain close to that as the site grew so:

so on 6000, 120 are willing to pay.

3000(theoretical costs per year)/120=$25 a year for memberships.(with whatever other perks members get) and rest of free site for the other 5875 members without perks.

Like I said, I dont know what the REAL percentage is, only you can figure that with your current participation in the DONATE program, not by dollars donated, but by % of the population on the site willing to do it. Sure 500 people may have said, yeah I will donate, but the ones who ACTUALLY did should give you a pretty good indication of who is serious.

I schedule 20-30 million parts a day in a manufacturing environment, and I have to load analysis based on pie in the sky sales numbers all the time, thats how I would approach it and I am good at what I do.(granted it has nothing to do with marketing and website internet presence)

post #28 of 116 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock View Post
I think the graphic banner should be changed (with Strat's removed) before I pay anything.

I mean how is that fair that they get free advertising on my dime?
its in the works and being worked on currently
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
Heres the reality, since you put the donate button up, how many peeps actually donated, not asking for dollar amounts, just what percentage of the users actually are willing to pay for the site. That may be an indicator of how much you would have to charge.

Theoretical:
if 2 members paid on 100 total members = 2% (whatever that real % is based on your actual donations is - I dont know)

Assumption made is that that % willing to pay would remain close to that as the site grew so:

so on 6000, 120 are willing to pay.

3000(theoretical costs per year)/120=$25 a year for memberships.(with whatever other perks members get) and rest of free site for the other 5875 members without perks.

Like I said, I dont know what the REAL percentage is, only you can figure that with your current participation in the DONATE program, not by dollars donated, but by % of the population on the site willing to do it. Sure 500 people may have said, yeah I will donate, but the ones who ACTUALLY did should give you a pretty good indication of who is serious.

I schedule 20-30 million parts a day in a manufacturing environment, and I have to load analysis based on pie in the sky sales numbers all the time, thats how I would approach it and I am good at what I do.(granted it has nothing to do with marketing and website internet presence)

i know and those # are looking decent so far but not up to expectations as of yet. which is why i am looking for suggestion. great analogy and its how we are also looking at an option.

post #29 of 116 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 04:24 PM
King Nothing

Once instituted, you could track this number and verify or dispel the percentage based on the site membership number growing.

It would be a baseline, that you could monitor month to month, eventually you would get to what that percentage is, and BUDGET expenditures for hosting, prizes, parties etc accordingly..............

post #30 of 116 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 04:29 PM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

First thing, get your costs down. Find a rider who can get you a decent computing platform on a provider w/ minimal cost. Scratch each other's backs; metaphorically speaking of course.

The 'legal' stuff is because you started to treat it like a company (starting out as an entity, and it grew from there).

For funding, hit people up when it's sweet... Tax rebate/refund time, holiday season, etc. Like the stock market, don't ask at the end of summer (the slump)... Or wait for someone to start a "Hey, I just got a kick ass bonus/Promotion at work!" thread, then move in for the kill

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode