4 wheel forum THe spot for anyting with 4 wheels from yugo's to ferrari's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall

Lt 265 / 65 / 18 a/t

Need new tires for my Suburban.
Want a LT tire - NOT a P tire-also needs to be an AT tire, not a road tire. I'm the only guy left in America that uses a Suburban as a truck spending countless trips off pavement every year.

The only one I can find is BF Goodrich A/T - all others are a P tire. These are very expensive and Im also concerned about road noise. Ive heard they hummmmmmm pretty good at highway speeds.

Ideally I want Firestone Destination's as they have served me very well in the past. Not available in this size in A/T.
Can anyone with better search skills than me find a LT 265/65/18 AT tire?

Mike

When the tailgate drops..the bullshit stops
Hunt ethically - Hunt with a trained Retriever !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 12:44 PM

Sportbike: 05 DRZ-SM, 80 GS1100E, 99 KTM 125SX, 03 KTM 200MXC
Years Riding: Since 2001
How you found us: ?

Send a message via AIM to Ryan Send a message via Yahoo to Ryan
I also come up with nothing in an LT in that size. Destination A/Ts and Dueler A/T Revos are available but only in P's.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 01:18 PM
I'm a non-achiever.

Sportbike: KTM 450sx/Sumo, XR50R w/training wheels
Years Riding: street 06; track 09
How you found us: the cops

Do you plan on hauling enough to justify a LT tire or do you want the extra ply's? I know I had the Bridgestone Dueler REVO's on my truck and they were outstanding. Long life, great grip and pretty darn quiet comared to the BFG A/T's.

I also couldn't find any other LT tires than listed...Good luck

"Slow is smooth, Smooth is fast"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 01:23 PM

If you go up to a LT275/65-18 more tires become available. It would be 10mm wider and slightly taller (about 6.5mm taller sidewall, which would make the truck sit about 3mm taller). That small of a difference in size wouldn't cause any fit issues with rubbing and the difference in diameter would be so little that I can't see it causing much speedometer error.

In that size the Dueler A/T Revo 2 and Transforce A/T are available with an E load range. The Destination A/T is also available but it is a C load range. Load range E is good for 3415 lbs, Load range C is 2535 lbs.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

I do tow an enclosed trailer but I do want the extra plys as well. I want to stay away from Revos as thats not quite as aggressive as I want. Honestly, Ive been so pleased with the Destination AT's on my previous Suburban that Im a firm believer in" If it aint broke dont try and fix it" .

How can I be assured that 275's wouldnt have any fit issues?
Do I need to be concerned about anything else electronically being calibrated? Speedo, RPM's?

hard to believe this is such a big issue with all of the Tahoe's and Suburban's on the road. I guess this speaks to how many ever see any off road use.

Load range on my older Destinations - C

Mike

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

how many plys in a C vs an E tire?

Mike

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2weelpilot View Post
I do tow an enclosed trailer but I do want the extra plys as well. I want to stay away from Revos as thats not quite as aggressive as I want. Honestly, Ive been so pleased with the Destination AT's on my previous Suburban that Im a firm believer in" If it aint broke dont try and fix it" .

How can I be assured that 275's wouldnt have any fit issues?
Do I need to be concerned about anything else electronically being calibrated? Speedo, RPM's?

hard to believe this is such a big issue with all of the Tahoe's and Suburban's on the road. I guess this speaks to how many ever see any off road use.

Load range on my older Destinations - C
It's only 10mm difference in width, so that actually works out to 5mm on the inside and 5mm on the outside since the tire is centered on the wheel and it will only be slightly taller. You will have plenty of room. As far as the speedometer, it will be slightly off but probably not even enough to notice. For example, I went from a 265/70-16 to a 265/75-16 on my truck (13mm difference in sidewall height) and my speedometer reads about 3mph slow at 60mph when compared to gps speed.

The Revo is considered just as aggressive as the Destination. I've had 2 sets of Revos on my Tundra and am very happy with them. The Destination is a lot cheaper though and I'm not sure the Revo really is that much better. I chose them over the Destination based mostly on looks. I had Destinations on my Wrangler and was very impressed with their performance when doing some pretty serious offroading with it. I put a set of Destination A/Ts on Steve's Tahoe and he is very happy with them too.

I have prices on them if you want a quote from me but I'm not sure the savings would be worth the trip down to Justice for you.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Randy at the McHenry location has treated me pretty good. Im concerned about my wife and the speedo difference....I'd NEVER hear the end of it!

Why would I see a difference in the speedo if its in width only..nothing in the sidewall height?

Mike

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 03:37 PM
I'm a non-achiever.

Sportbike: KTM 450sx/Sumo, XR50R w/training wheels
Years Riding: street 06; track 09
How you found us: the cops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
The Revo is considered just as aggressive as the Destination. I've had 2 sets of Revos on my Tundra and am very happy with them. The Destination is a lot cheaper though and I'm not sure the Revo really is that much better. I chose them over the Destination based mostly on looks. I had Destinations on my Wrangler and was very impressed with their performance when doing some pretty serious offroading with it. I put a set of Destination A/Ts on Steve's Tahoe and he is very happy with them too.

I have prices on them if you want a quote from me but I'm not sure the savings would be worth the trip down to Justice for you.
HAHA, me too, that tread pattern is pretty sick!

"Slow is smooth, Smooth is fast"
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2weelpilot View Post
Randy at the McHenry location has treated me pretty good. Im concerned about my wife and the speedo difference....I'd NEVER hear the end of it!

Why would I see a difference in the speedo if its in width only..nothing in the sidewall height?
There is a slight difference in sidewall height. The #275 means the tread is 275mm wide. The #65 is the sidewall height as a percentage of the width (65% of 275mm) so as the width goes up the sidewall height goes up too, unless the center numbers in the size go down. Did that explanation make any sense ?

I don't work at a company Firestone store and when I do tires on the side it will generally be much cheaper than a shop will charge but I know you live far so your time and gas may make the savings negligable.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Mike, BFG A/T's are phenomenal tires. Ran many a set on trucks over the years. excellent traction on and off road, and excellent braking in the rain.

I am also currently running goodyear silent armors on my Avalanche. but those are 20" wheels

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
or try 255/70/16 much much more common size and is a typical +1 -1 sizing change. Overal diameter should be close which will keep speedos accurate etc.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode