GMC Yukon Issue (wheel speed sensor repair) - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

4 wheel forum THe spot for anyting with 4 wheels from yugo's to ferrari's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 600rr
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: From friends

GMC Yukon Issue (wheel speed sensor repair)

Got an 05' Yukon that has issues with it's front wheel speed sensors. The issue is that the sensors get corroded, and cause the system to think it's slipping, engaging traction control, cutting power. VERY dangerous as EVERY time we come to a stop, then press the gas, the power cuts.

Sooo many GMC's have had this issue, but as usual, the manufacturer doesn't stand by their product.

Long story short, they recalled models for this up until 2002, then put the sensor inside the wheel hub in order to "protect" it from salt, water, road debris...instead, it still causes the same issue, but now it's just harder to get to. Super bright engineers who design this stuff. And a great quality control unit that tests these designs before they put them into production.

Anyway, the dealer wants to charge me a $125 diagnostic fee, even though I'm telling them what to fix, and how (and they've had this issue MANY times and are very aware of the problem). The fee is to determine the problem, but they don't seem to understand that it's already been determined!!

Add their outrageous charges...and...I'm either going to replace these myself (really wish I done this when I had the calipers off doing the brakes over the summer!!)...or pay someone to do it.

Anybody on here work on these cars on the side, familiar with what I'm talking about, and can PM me an estimate? I'll provide the wheel speed sensors, looking for an estimate on the price of labor.

Or....can refer to a good mechanic that isn't the GMC dealer.

Peter Katowicz
State Farm® - Agent
108 E Lake St. Unit 2
Bloomingdale, IL 60108
Office: (630) 980-9809
Fax: (630) 980-9858
[email protected]
www.PeterIsMyAgent.com

Benjamin Franklin - “It is a strange anomaly that men should be careful to insure their houses, their ships, and their merchandise, and yet neglect to insure their lives”.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 12:47 AM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

I remember having alot of issues with out old 98 3/4ton Chevy lockign the rears up at slow speeds when coming to a stop. We solved that issue by just pulling the ABS fuse and it stopped doing it.

Maybe try pulling the ABS/Traction control fuse and see if that stops it from doing the power cut on you. At least you'll be able to hold off until spring when its warmer to work on it. Yeah I know you wont have ABS or traction control, just drive it like its a pre abs/esc/traction/self park, etc vehicle.

I've done wheel bearings on my vehicles before. Both 2 and 4wd. If you have a good air compressor that can run a HD 1/2" air impact, its not hard to remove the nut. If the Yukon wheel bearing is installed like my old sonoma was, theres 3 bolts in the back that you remove to get the bearing out. No removing the half shaft.

Have you tried a different dealer? Like a chevy dealer in a smaller town? hey usually dont have that attitude big city dealers sometimes do (dont listen to the customer).

I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 12:07 PM

Sportbike: 2001 zx6
How you found us: Search

Send a message via AIM to ThirdgenTa
Brandon (boostedgsxr) on here is a really good mechanic and he doesn't charge a lot. I would take it to him. He does all the work I can't do on my car.
He actually did the wheel bearings on my car. Took him like 20 minutes start to finish. Probably would have taken me 4 hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YZFRob View Post
I remember having alot of issues with out old 98 3/4ton Chevy lockign the rears up at slow speeds when coming to a stop. We solved that issue by just pulling the ABS fuse and it stopped doing it.

Maybe try pulling the ABS/Traction control fuse and see if that stops it from doing the power cut on you. At least you'll be able to hold off until spring when its warmer to work on it. Yeah I know you wont have ABS or traction control, just drive it like its a pre abs/esc/traction/self park, etc vehicle.

I've done wheel bearings on my vehicles before. Both 2 and 4wd. If you have a good air compressor that can run a HD 1/2" air impact, its not hard to remove the nut. If the Yukon wheel bearing is installed like my old sonoma was, theres 3 bolts in the back that you remove to get the bearing out. No removing the half shaft.

Have you tried a different dealer? Like a chevy dealer in a smaller town? hey usually dont have that attitude big city dealers sometimes do (dont listen to the customer).
Yeah, we just drive with the TC off. Solves the problem...but, no traction control. I'd like the lady to have TC for the winter...thus looking at getting it fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdgenTa View Post
Brandon (boostedgsxr) on here is a really good mechanic and he doesn't charge a lot. I would take it to him. He does all the work I can't do on my car.
He actually did the wheel bearings on my car. Took him like 20 minutes start to finish. Probably would have taken me 4 hours.
Thanks for the tip.

Peter Katowicz
State Farm® - Agent
108 E Lake St. Unit 2
Bloomingdale, IL 60108
[email protected]
www.PeterIsMyAgent.com

Benjamin Franklin - “It is a strange anomaly that men should be careful to insure their houses, their ships, and their merchandise, and yet neglect to insure their lives”.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 07:51 AM

Sportbike: '03 SV 650S turned Nakid, '13 Empulse R
Years Riding: Enough
How you found us: Google

Be careful pulling fuses - sometimes they do more than just TC or ABS. I know on some chryslers the ABS fuse also controls the brake controller. Pull the fuse and the car no longer balances brake pressure.

Sean
03 SV650
13 Empulse R
05 Mazdaspeed Miata
13 JSW TDI

It is far better to be thought of as a smartass than an dumbass. And as American Humorist Robert Benchley (1889-1945) noted, "no matter how well-intended, any reply to a dumbass question will inevitably appear smartassed". - Bob Hall (creator of the Miata)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help folks, and the recommendations.

I did the brakes a few months ago, so figured I'd take a shot at this this past weekend, since it's not much more than re-doing the brakes, and the weather was nice. Plus, the money savings motivated me as well.

Purchased the new sensor from Autozone for $72. Took me about 4 hours to do one side. Actually pretty simple fix, just a pain in the butt getting the bolts to break loose on the calipers, etc.

The dealer said they don't replace the sensor because they break off in the hub, so they just replace the whole hub. The sensor I removed also broke off in the hub, but I was able to easily pull it out. I can't believe dealers scam people so bad, and can sleep at night. Replacing the hub for no reason, just because it gains them a whole lot of profit, and takes them only 5 minutes longer.

Anyway, so I replaced the one side, test drove the car, and the problem seems to be fixed. I'll still hold on to the other sensor I bought for a week or so, to make sure the problem doesn't show up from the other side, but...so far so good.

$72 + 4 hours of my time...is much better than paying the dealer the $1,400 they wanted to charge.

Peter Katowicz
State Farm® - Agent
108 E Lake St. Unit 2
Bloomingdale, IL 60108
[email protected]
www.PeterIsMyAgent.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode