Chicagoland Sportbikes

4 wheel forum THe spot for anyting with 4 wheels from yugo's to ferrari's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2012 Ducati M696
Years Riding: 8 years
How you found us: Scout 67

98 Lesabre

I've changed the belt tensioner pully on the car and it stopped squeaking for a few months and things were wonderful.

Now I'm driving back from the bar with friends and I hear this howling whirl noise. Almost like brakes. Thing is when I'm stopped it still howls where as brakes couldn't do that.

I popped the hood and it looks like its coming from the AC compressor. Can I change out just the pully? AC is off, heat is off.

Belt is brand new, changed that with the water pump about 1 year ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 11:30 PM
PIKUACH NEFESH

Sportbike: Italian,British,Japanese,Czech
Years Riding: LONG TIME
How you found us: CRR

Maybe you and Tnat need better cars ?

You might be able to buy just the A/C clutch and replace it .

MOTO AND MOTOR
1906 TECHNY RD.
NORTHBROOK IL 60062

SALES*SERVICE*PARTS
847-790-4848
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

I have a newer Forester that the old lady drives and an 07 S2000. I have back ups. I bought this car only because the dealership wanted to give my grandpa 1500 dollars for the car and it has 82K miles. I told him I would use it as a winter car / bar car. If it gets door dinged then LOL. I like clapped out bar cars. No guilt. The car is in okay condition I suppose, it's not show car. It would be nice to do other things to the car. I would ideally like to drag this car out for 4 more years till I sell it on craigslist for scrap metal. Just power pimping money to save for a bigger house.

I searched and I found a bearing pully kit for 35 dollars at O reily. I will also need a pair of snap ring pliers and perhaps a 3 jaw pulley puller. Tomorrow if I wake up I will tackle this. I really am in no rush. I could do it on the weekend. Sucks I'm doing over time right now. I guess it will pay for my tools and parts on the bright side. Thanks Stan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE

Last night I conducted a test, I sprayed the pulley with what is Silicone spray lubricant. This morning whisper quite, drove it around... nothing...

I did take a good peek at it and this is what I found.

Metal shavings, no good...

More shaving not good....

You can see all the little bits of metal stuck because of the magnet.

Me thinks the compressor is best off being completely replaced, and I will have to take it to a AC shop for them to install new R134. It will be better I think than if I buy the bottles at the store and do it myself. I did it once on an Accord and it was cool air but not ice cold. The car had 200k miles on it so that my be part of it.

Unless this howls like a banshee and I'm being real fussy when I say that. Everything on a car annoys me. LOL

I think I may have bought myself a temporary pass till spring time. The job doesn't seem hard at all to do.

I am going to tackle a head intake manifold gasket job in the next 2 weeks. That will be a fun filled magical adventure!

For me working on the car is something I have no idea what I'm doing ever. I just get in and start tearing things apart. If someone put it on, I can take it off... If I have some spare parts well then looks like the weight reduction will serve as better fuel economy.

I've done quite a few decent size jobs and save more than enough money doing it myself. Youtube videos give me a good understanding on how things work. Even if it's not my exact make or model vehicle they are pretty much the same. I've been lied to by mechanics. Example buddy's Saab needed a hub bearing. I told him this. They said you need a bearing puller. SUCK IT... Not necessary. Got the job done even though working on that car is a nightmare and the car worked for thousands of miles whispering down the road till he sold it and the tire flew off and the guy crashed it into a wall.... I'm kidding about that last bit

Last edited by LockDownMike; 09-25-2012 at 09:21 PM.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 08:50 AM
Pringles can user

Sportbike: 2005 YZ250
Years Riding: 1977
How you found us: Geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANIMAL View Post
Maybe you and Tnat need better cars ?

You might be able to buy just the A/C clutch and replace it .
Nice - it sounds like the ac compressor, mines been doing that for like 4 years, when the ac is on it doesnt squeal, when its off it will sometimes squeal, depends on humidity -temp sometimes it just goes away.

DO YOU WANT TO BE A BETTER DIRT OR MX RIDER OR LEARN TO RIDE DIRT?

CLICK THE LINK!

http://www.club57mx.com/

Wiping my last dump was like cleaning Laffy Taffy off a hot car dashboard.
Doug Stanhope

Thanks to my Sponsors - Gaerne, Protaper, ScottUSA, MSR, Motomaster Brake systems, Faction MX, Sunline, Dr D, EVS, DECAL WORKS.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

My co worker just turns the Radio up on his car. He says "sounds like the day he bought it!"

All I have to say to that is just "WOW!" LOL
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 04:04 PM

Sportbike: 2001 zx6
How you found us: Search

Send a message via AIM to ThirdgenTa
My A/C compressor clutch has been doing that same thing for a few months now. First time I heard it was pretty loud and I freaked out and went immediately to napa and replaced one of the pulleys. Come to find out it was the A/C clutch.
I am just going to replace the clutch because the rest of the compressor is still good and everything is still ice cold. I've heard that you need to get all of the condensation out of the lines or your A/c system won't last as long. You don't get all that flushed out properly by the DIY recharge systems.
This is what mine sounds like
Oh and is yours a 3.8 motor? Mine is a 3.8 supercharged on my regal.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Mine "Sounded" just like it. Like a metallic scraping. Almost like bad brakes. I changed out my Idler pulley but that was also bad.

The 3.8 is a wonderful motor, it's actually Wards top ten best motors for the 20th century. The more you know! LOL

The last forever but are real prone to intake manifold gasket leaks. GM thought it would be a wonderful idea to save a few bucks putting on a plastic manifold vs a metal one. The plastic doesn't do well under hot cold conditions and eventually fails. The price of the car was wonderful. It rides very well, it has problems but I'm a picky son of a bitch when it comes to my cars. It's got the MOST MOTHER FLIPPING COMFORTABLE SEATS EVER! SERIOUSLY! I was really drunk one night coming from the south side of chicago for a birthday party. I fell asleep within seconds. I wasn't driving my old lady was. It was a special moment for me. I learned the seats fold ALL THE WAY BACK. For real. ALL THE WAY! I was using the navigation and told her "can you hear this" she replied "Yeah" I said "do you mind if I lay back for just a minute" She said "sure"

I passed out. It was like angels where comforting me "sleep mike it's okay, just let the plush seats wrap your gentle body in a heavenly bliss..." Woke up some how right in front of the house. I don't know why I woke up but the whole 40 minute ride I just fell asleep. Best sleep of my life. LOL I was still drunk when I got up from doing double shots back to back to back of Bacardi all night, but my gosh was a rejuvinated drunk! HAHAHAHAHAA

I went way off topic.

Last edited by LockDownMike; 09-26-2012 at 07:31 PM.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Well like I said I'd do I attempted to tackle another job I had no clue how to do.
To boldly go where I shouldn't have. To be on another emotional roller coaster ride that had me happy and damn near in frustrated tears of dissapointment and anger.

I decided to change out the notorious fail sack plastic intake manifold gasket. I also replaced many other gaskets. I should have taken more pictures but I was busy working and forgot.
This is my garage and I'm an AMERICAN! I DRINK BEER AND BREAK STUFF! LOL

LETS GO!

Before pic, coolant all over top of motor.

This is how far I got on night 1. I did almost this whole job by myself. My brother in law came by to give me a hand and I had a LOT of spectators watching me like a total of 7. Some people were like "EFFF THAT MIKE!" Others made fun of the fact the car is american and had I gotten a jap car I wouldn't have these problems. I just ignored them.

Others played on there Iphones and drank beer. I was on 2 hours of sleep and 12 hours of no food. I was a PMS crabby bitch and I started getting snippy with my friends. I should have played nicer. I didn't want to get this done professionally because I am saving up for a house and this would have cost me a lot of money.

Had to call it a night.

Next day after about 8 hours in the job

Cleaning

I also cleaned up the motor. Throttle body. Upper plenum before new gasket went in that. Thermostat gaskets X2. I had drawing of all the sensors and stuff. I don't know the technical names for the parts. Some things were labled "OJ SENSOR" or "Blue Sensor" or "Springy Thingy" true story. LOL

Was going to Type R red this like people did back in high school. I chose to skip that step.

I also installed new Valve cover gaskets. Nothing was wrong with them but I believe they were 30 dollars so why not while I'm there.

They leaked on my truck once. This car they were fine but around this many years in my truck did. A little preventative headache work we can call this.

Digging in with my brother in law taking out the rear bracket that supports the cross beam for the alternator support thing. He was playing with the EGR brace. Taking off the heat shield. It was nice to be able to have people there even though most of them did not a damn thing. It broke the garage silence. That's my ass for the record. LOL

Cleaned up the throttle body pretty good.

Day 3 I had to put it back together I got stuck and need to sleep. It's amazing how dumb you get when you work to much simple tasks become frustration. When I have a clear head I can think and get things done.

Found this cute piece of hardware. I think it is a ground because it was on a bolt coming off the harness. Bought a little kit with like 8 loopy zip things. I cut the old wire. Stripped it, and crimped it on.

Job is finished and all put back together. It leaked pretty good. I had to tighten up the drain plug but the car is so smooth now during acceleration and it doesn't loose compression and have what I called flat spots in the power band. I know it isn't a performance car but that's how I describe it and I'm not a mechanic.

Like I said I felt good then I felt like crying. I listened to Dean Martin radio on pandora. One song that hit the heart really hard was "That's Life" By Frank Sinatra.

Oil and filter changed along with brand new coolant. I did a lot of other things oh like fuel injector gaskets. EGR gasket. Lots of things I probably didn't mention. Took me about 20 hours to complete this job. It was very difficult for me. Car really works like new. It didn't want to start the first time I cranked it. That's because I suspect there was hardly any fuel in the lines. I purged it out. Now it starts easy.

Last edited by LockDownMike; 10-11-2012 at 08:56 PM.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 09:57 AM

Sportbike: A weed wacker
Years Riding: Just started today as a matter of fact..
How you found us: A dream I had once

Send a message via MSN to JRSMAIL
Nice work, next time it will go faster, if there is a next time..

Jon
MSF Instructor

<---- Useless

Always Stand For What You Believe In... Even If Means You Stand Alone...
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

What's that mean?
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 10:06 AM
PIKUACH NEFESH

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDownMike View Post
What's that mean?
It means , get rid of it or there will be a next time .

MOTO AND MOTOR
1906 TECHNY RD.
NORTHBROOK IL 60062

SALES*SERVICE*PARTS
847-790-4848
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

My clapped out Buick needs to make it another 4 years. It rides so good. I hope it stays that way. I'm just trying to grind through life. Some cars dont need to be plesant. I really hope this next time is in 4 more years! LOL

I'll sell it for the cheapness.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 10:37 AM
PIKUACH NEFESH

Quote:
My clapped out Buick needs to make it another 4 years. It rides so good. I hope it stays that way. I'm just trying to grind through life. Some cars dont need to be plesant. I really hope this next time is in 4 more years! LOL

I'll sell it for the cheapness.
If you keep it another four years , at least buy some spinners.

MOTO AND MOTOR
1906 TECHNY RD.
NORTHBROOK IL 60062

SALES*SERVICE*PARTS
847-790-4848
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 10:48 AM

Sportbike: 2001 zx6
How you found us: Search

Send a message via AIM to ThirdgenTa
I really hope you replaced that cheap plastic piece of garbage coolant elbow or you will be redoing it soon
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Did that in beginning of thread it was attached to the tensioner. Great advice though. Most the time people think that's the intake gasket when it's just the elbow.

Mine when it was changed maybe a couple months ago was in real bad shape. Wasn't the cause of the leak.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 08:34 PM
Pringles can user

Nice work, ill PM when the time comes to work on my shit and ask some questions for info.

CLICK THE LINK!

Doug Stanhope

Thanks to my Sponsors - Gaerne, Protaper, ScottUSA, MSR, Motomaster Brake systems, Faction MX, Sunline, Dr D, EVS, DECAL WORKS.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

I'll do the best I can to help. I don't know technical terms but I can help you get through the problem the best I can. Take pictures and I could probably take pictures back.

I would like to try and install quick mount strut kits with the spring on them. I think it's only 5 bolts. The 3 on the top and 2 on the bottom. I would also like to install a new rack and pinion on the car. The car makes a thunk thunk noise.

Heres the situation.

Car is in park
Line the wheel up straight.

Turn steering wheel a couple inches back and forth. After this point no more Thunk noise.

If I do the suspension I need to have an alignment.

If I do the Rack and pinion I need to do an alignment.

Common sense says kill to two birds with one stone. I know I'm supposed to count the turns or threads on the tie rod I think it is so it can be as aligned as possible to take it to the Firestone. It also makes it easy for the tech there I've heard. He will monkey with it anyways but it's just a curtsy. I've also been told it's easier with 2 guys because there may be a boot up to with the torx bit. I dunno. If I did what I did this weekend I should be able to knock this one out the park.

My Buick humbled my ass though so I should add I can only do my best. I'm always prepared to stop and call a tow truck. It's sorta like gambling. If I go in be prepared to lose. Knock on wood I haven't lost yet, but I've been pretty damn close. Somehow when I wake up the next day and work cars again I have the amazing brain power. I almost feel like working on cars is more intelegence based that anything. Work smart not hard, isn't that the saying...?
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 08:19 AM
Pringles can user

Great post! How manymiles on that thing? ive got 137K

CLICK THE LINK!

Doug Stanhope

post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 09:43 AM
Chief Apex Inspector

Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......

Quote:
I'll do the best I can to help. I don't know technical terms but I can help you get through the problem the best I can. Take pictures and I could probably take pictures back.

I would like to try and install quick mount strut kits with the spring on them. I think it's only 5 bolts. The 3 on the top and 2 on the bottom. I would also like to install a new rack and pinion on the car. The car makes a thunk thunk noise.

Heres the situation.

Car is in park
Line the wheel up straight.

Turn steering wheel a couple inches back and forth. After this point no more Thunk noise.

If I do the suspension I need to have an alignment.

If I do the Rack and pinion I need to do an alignment.

Common sense says kill to two birds with one stone. I know I'm supposed to count the turns or threads on the tie rod I think it is so it can be as aligned as possible to take it to the Firestone. It also makes it easy for the tech there I've heard. He will monkey with it anyways but it's just a curtsy. I've also been told it's easier with 2 guys because there may be a boot up to with the torx bit. I dunno. If I did what I did this weekend I should be able to knock this one out the park.

My Buick humbled my ass though so I should add I can only do my best. I'm always prepared to stop and call a tow truck. It's sorta like gambling. If I go in be prepared to lose. Knock on wood I haven't lost yet, but I've been pretty damn close. Somehow when I wake up the next day and work cars again I have the amazing brain power. I almost feel like working on cars is more intelegence based that anything. Work smart not hard, isn't that the saying...?

The thunk could be.....

Tie rod end
Lower Ball Joint ---- > Neither of these fixed by struts.

or

it could be the upper strut joint..... which comes with the strut.

If you have a friend make the thunk noise while you inspect .... you may
be able to feel or see what is making the clunk.

Tom

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

I jacked the car up and shook the tires violently to see if I could hear any noises about a 2 months ago. I heard nothing and the noise was there for longer than that. It's not a loud thunk, and I do agree I should have someone rock the steering wheel. From what I've tested I suspect it is the rack and pinion. I could very well be wrong. I just don't think I am.

The suspension should be changed IMO because it's overly soft and too floaty / bouncy despite being a buick. I don't there should be ZERO FEEDBACK in the steering. It's like a cloud on wheels. I'm not certain but I think suspension typically starts to preform poorly at like 60-75K miles.

As far as milage goes I'm about 83K miles. Original suspension original a lot of things. Car other than these super small things runs exceptionally good for its age.

From what I understand My grandfather got a tune up, brakes, and battery. Maybe more not too sure.

I've done everything else.

List of things.

New tires
Water pump
Serpintine belt
Tention pully
VATS coil with new keys
Wiper blades
Religious oil changes
Coolant flush
Upper plenum gasket
Lower intake manifold gasket
replaced broken ground
fuel injector o rings
egr gasket
thermostat gaskets
valve cover gaskets
new muffler
More that I'm probably forgetting.

I can't think of anything else. I've got it running how it should. I been called a picky snob. I've been told I spend to much money on parts. I've been ridiculed and scrutinized at the end of the day. I don't give a damn I think the car runs like a top. I paid not much for the car in the first place. It's okay if I give it a second chance. My money, my car. From experience you WILL GET OUT when you PUT IN a car.

You put junk in, you get junk out.

That's my mentality and I wont change it. Everything I own is overly taken care of, and it clearly shows. This is why when I sell used stuff people buy it quick. No half stepping or covering an issue. Fix it before it becomes serious.

Last edited by LockDownMike; 10-10-2012 at 08:11 PM.
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 10:04 PM

My guess would be tie rods inner or outer, but leaning more towards inner.

Jon
MSF Instructor

<---- Useless

post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

The suspense is killing me folks....

Lets play spin the wheel what's wrong with the buick this week.

Contestant #1 your up.

Hi contestant #1 you ready?
"YUP"
Pulls lever down. clack clack clack clack clack..... clack.... clack....... clack.........clack... stop.

You landed on it's a GM. OHHHHHHHHHHHH (Crowd boo's) You lost all your money! LOL

I don't know guys if I feel bored I'll tear more shit apart. LOL

"Remember, remember
The fifth of November
The Buick in pieces and plot.
I know of no reason
Why the Piece of shit
Should ever be forgot."

We should bet some hot wings on what's wrong with my car. These issues are so small.

Do you guys agree that at this milage mark I should be looking into new suspension? The thing of it is, I don't know if it is bad I try and bounce the car while it's parked by pushing really hard. It bounces a little, but bear in mind it is a Buick Le Sabre Custom A.K.A The rolling couch with the ever so plush ride.

I feel like this is entertaining to you guys.

I am working more overtime today 4 more hours to be exact so if I pool up all the OT money I can buy more parts. I REALLY REALLY REALLY Should be saving up this money for a house. I figure this is money I shouldn't have and it's better than spending on liquor and whores.... well that depends how the whores are.

This is my first season on this wonderful playground of a website. A playground I am throughly enjoying. I suspect this 4 wheel forum is going to get busy.

I am not enjoying the cold...

Stanimal what do you think?

Ziggy wants 1500 STRAIGHT CASH HOMIE! Sounds like I can ride spinnaz yo!

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/pts/3321161027.html

Just bump this with my 6'n a fifth boom dizzle speakers!
http://www.slack-time.com/music-vide...Ridin-Spinners

SCERRRRRR I want to be cool like Lil Flip with 20's on my drop!

Last edited by LockDownMike; 10-10-2012 at 10:49 PM.
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 11:58 PM
PIKUACH NEFESH

SWEEEEEETTT spinners.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZYryyA28go

MOTO AND MOTOR
1906 TECHNY RD.
NORTHBROOK IL 60062

SALES*SERVICE*PARTS
847-790-4848
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 06:51 AM

If you feel the suspension is to bouncy than replace struts, but do all four corners.

Lift the dust boot cover and look for oil in and around the rod. If see oil it had been leaking and is time to replace.

I do not go by mileage when replacing suspension parts, but if you hit every pot hole in the road you would need to change sooner, then later.. Make sense??

Jon
MSF Instructor

<---- Useless

post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 12:13 PM
Obsessed and Deranged

Sportbike: SV1000S
Years Riding: too many years
How you found us: dumb luck

We should bet some hot wings on what's wrong with my car........

i think its more of a fried chicken and waffles kind of a car
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 02:50 PM
Pringles can user

Just drive the damn thing youre being too anal, ive got almost 140k on mine and it always drove and bounced like a fat chick Riding Bugs Kawk! Its by far the best car ive owned, i will buy another one in a heartbeat. I dont care what my cars look like as long as they get me to where ive got to go, too many people are worried about image and what other muthafuckers think about them. I take a POS that starts every day in a heartbeat!

CLICK THE LINK!

Doug Stanhope

post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSMAIL View Post
If you feel the suspension is to bouncy than replace struts, but do all four corners.

Lift the dust boot cover and look for oil in and around the rod. If see oil it had been leaking and is time to replace.

I do not go by mileage when replacing suspension parts, but if you hit every pot hole in the road you would need to change sooner, then later.. Make sense??

I don't have a spring compressor and I don't feel like renting one and loosing half my face. I was interested in purchasing Monroe quick-mount set. It has like 5 bolts in it I believe and has every piece of hardware brand new. I will lift up the boot and see if there is any leakage. I don't like the chance of me getting hurt because I'm uneducated in removing parts under extreme tension. The dollar amount just isn't worth it.

Question about Rack and Pinion, can they fail catastrophically while on the road if neglected. I was really paying attention to it last night. It makes no noise while cruising until low speeds. I should take a pic of the side of the car. Can you guys determine through a pic if the car is sagging worse than normal? To me it looks like a bit of sag but not bad.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Pics

Side Profile

Rear

Front

What do you think suspension guys. Does this look reasonable or is not possible to tell?

I've seen some cars that looked like driving ramps with the front raked up high and the rear down low.

I am trying to organize my photobucket and everything is gone.... Now they have different tags I guess, pics are back.

Last edited by LockDownMike; 10-11-2012 at 08:45 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode