LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Ride Naked

Sportbike: z1000
Years Riding: divide by zero error
How you found us: Panda Express

Send a message via AIM to mac11
Looking into used m35/45

It's about time for a new ride. Interested in the 06-08 Infiniti M35/45. Doesn't look to be too much difference in price on the used market between the 2 engines in the mileage range I'm looking at (~50-60k)

Anyone here have/had one of those cars have any advise on them? Common $5 problems? Rattles, trim parts or hinges/handles that are problematic? Anything like that?

Suspension bushings or anything that commonly wears more quickly than one might expect?

I'm fucking tired of German cars and their bullshit. Pain in the ass to work on and torx bolts can lick my balls.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Quote:
Oh he can drive. He can drive beyond the limits of the tires, the engine, the car or anything else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 12:21 PM

Sportbike: CBR1000RR
Years Riding: Been around the block with training wheels
How you found us: Folks

Be ready to pay at the pump.

You better be nice to America or we will bring democracy to your country.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 12:27 PM

Sportbike: 250R
Years Riding: 2 years
How you found us: google

It's a reliable car. Very safe bet. How much are they going for right now?As long as you don't buy well into the 100 thousand miles, you shouldn't have any problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Ride Naked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone In 3 View Post
Does it not get what it's rated at on the sticker? I realize what it's rated at and am willing to deal with that. I'm coming out of an Xterra that was 14.5 on the eway And an rx8 before that which was ~20 so I know what that will be like.

Thankfully gas down here is ~.75-$100 cheaper than in Chicago right now. So that helps.

Quote:
Oh he can drive. He can drive beyond the limits of the tires, the engine, the car or anything else.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Ride Naked

Quote:
Originally Posted by randysway223 View Post
It's a reliable car. Very safe bet. How much are they going for right now?As long as you don't buy well into the 100 thousand miles, you shouldn't have any problems.
I'm looking and seeing a lot of cars in the ~20k range +\- sub 75k miles. With my driving habits I'm thinking I'd keep it 4-5 years ~50k miles.

Quote:
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Ride Naked

I really like the 07+ sport with the aluminum s
Trim instead of the standard wood grain

$20k 71,000 miles.
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...ngId=118520613

ImageUploadedByMO Free1371490615.564237.jpg

Thoughts?

Quote:
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 06:29 PM

Sportbike: 250R
Years Riding: 2 years
How you found us: google

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac11 View Post
I'm looking and seeing a lot of cars in the ~20k range +\- sub 75k miles. With my driving habits I'm thinking I'd keep it 4-5 years ~50k miles.
Makes sense. Those cars are pretty solid. I personally would go with the m45 because that engine is more efficient. I think it's been proven over time. Make sure to get a fully loaded one too, you don't want to regret not having the navi and stuff later on :P
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 07:46 PM
PIKUACH NEFESH

Sportbike: Italian,British,Japanese,Czech
Years Riding: LONG TIME
How you found us: CRR

GS300 or 400 ?
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 08:03 AM
A.K.A. Vodka Waters

Sportbike: '06 GSX-R600 Red/Black
Years Riding: a few weeks
How you found us: Fell asleep on the keyboard, woke up here

Send a message via AIM to muddy Send a message via MSN to muddy
I used to own an 06 M35x before I got my Jeep. It was a solid car, really can't say anything bad about it. It could really move when needed and was excellent for road trips. The one thing that annoyed me about it, now that I think of it, was the adaptive cruise control when driving into the sun. The sunlight would hit it just right and turn off the cruise. This was when I was driving west at sunset so it didn't happen often, and once I figured out how to turn that off I was fine.

If you can find one, look for the one with the DVD player in the arm rest and the 17 speaker sound system. It was actually rated to have Dolby 5.1 surround. I would get live concert DVD's and play them on road trips (never disabled the screen, just listened) in the Dolby 5.1 mode and it sounded amazing!

Adam
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 10:47 AM
G2G

Sportbike: It changes everyday
Years Riding: since 1991
How you found us: Ur mom

Quote:

16 city 23 highway for M35
16 city 22 highway for M35x
16 city 21 highway for M45

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find....23296&id=23295

Infinity's are great cars I loved my G35 coupe
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G View Post
16 city 23 highway for M35
16 city 22 highway for M35x
16 city 21 highway for M45

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find....23296&id=23295

Infinity's are great cars I loved my G35 coupe
Probably 17 or 18 with Chicago's blend. With premium hitting $5/gal, I'd opt for a inline 4 turbo.

Since OP lives away from the city, so it might not be that.

My A4 with inline 4 turbo returns 25 combined. The engine has the same kick as a V6.

With cops giving so many speeding tickets, what's the point of going with a v6 or v8 sedan anymore?

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Ride Naked

IMO if you don't see any point in a bigger engine outside of speeding you're out of the conversation.

You're 1.8/2.0t a4 doesn't have the "kick" of a v6. It has the kick of a 1.8/2.0t Audi. That's a ridiculous statement. V6s are up and over 300hp in some cars and under 200 in others. You have what you have and what you hav is a car that's a pain in the dick to work on. I will be moving out of a b6 A4 with this purchase and I had a b5A4 several years ago. It will be difficult for me to ever own another German car without a warranty.

Quote:
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
IMO if you don't see any point in a bigger engine outside of speeding you're out of the conversation.

You're 1.8/2.0t a4 doesn't have the "kick" of a v6. It has the kick of a 1.8/2.0t Audi. That's a ridiculous statement. V6s are up and over 300hp in some cars and under 200 in others. You have what you have and what you hav is a car that's a pain in the dick to work on. I will be moving out of a b6 A4 with this purchase and I had a b5A4 several years ago. It will be difficult for me to ever own another German car without a warranty.

If performance is your highest priority, then yes, then definitely go with a V6 or V8. But to a lot of buyers, a 4 cylinder turbo will satisfy their driving needs. A lot of people under estimate them. That's all :-)

Yeah, A4s are notoriously difficult to work with. But they've made significant changes with B8s. Much better to work on.

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Ride Naked

I think that's another unqualified statement. Define "performance". This being. Daily driver, I want things that the small displacement turbo engine can't give me. Part throttle acceleration for one. Not to mention the M series is a hell of a lot nicer inside than the A series. But it should be for the difference in MSRP.

A lot if people are fucking stupid and don't know how to calculate power to weight ratio and understand where peak power is made vs. where in the rpm range they will be actually be driving the car. And by the same token there are others that power:weight a is all they look at.

. The b6 1.8t is a turd until 4grand then it makes a bit of power and makes you feel good about yourself until the tiny little turbo runs out of air by 5k. It's a stupid setup. I hate this car the more I drive it. German engineering is as terrible as Detroit engineering, just in different ways.

Quote:

Last edited by mac11; 06-20-2013 at 08:12 PM.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 08:06 PM
Chief Apex Inspector

Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......

And now on tonight's episode of Why My Car Is The Best .... We explore Audi bias.

Tom

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLARNEY View Post
And now on tonight's episode of Why My Car Is The Best .... We explore Audi bias.

Tom
He hates all German engineered cars.

Waiting for BMW and Mercedes episodes.

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Ride Naked

Quote:
He hates all German engineered cars.
For the moat part i do. But he was talking about you.

The a4 shouldnt be in this discussion. Try recommending something in the class of the car I wanted to talk about like the gs recco up in the middle of this thread.

When I start the thread about the Acura TL we can talk about the A4 again.

Quote:
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 08:23 PM

Sportbike: 03 SV650n
How you found us: aliens

While I have a very similar car. 2005 g35x with 78k. The car is slowly acting like a euro, minor minor issues with it that would run $500-800 to fix. But I'm just living with the flaws. I daily mines and feel sometimes its too much for a DD. I only pull in 20-21 hwy mixed driving when I'm rated for 18city-25 hwy. My road trip was averaging 22mpg but I was going at a pace of 80mph @3300 rpm or so.

I've driven the M and its one nice ride. Heated/air cool seats front and rear!!! Nice sport package wheels. I often wondered if I get the wrong car because I bought my G thinking it would save me a little gas compared to the M.

My friend with manual b6 Audi loves the lower delivery of my G. But I told him if he was chipped it would be about the same.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Ride Naked

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANIMAL View Post
GS300 or 400 ?
Haven't looked at them. Don't know anything about them cept for they are German. Some of the reviews I read on the Infiniti mentioned these have the Infiniti beat on luxury but aren't as nice to drive/driver oriented.

Any experience?

Quote:
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Ride Naked

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle* View Post
While I have a very similar car. 2005 g35x with 78k. The car is slowly acting like a euro, minor minor issues with it that would run $500-800 to fix. But I'm just living with the flaws. I daily mines and feel sometimes its too much for a DD. I only pull in 20-21 hwy mixed driving when I'm rated for 18city-25 hwy. My road trip was averaging 22mpg but I was going at a pace of 80mph @3300 rpm or so.

I've driven the M and its one nice ride. Heated/air cool seats front and rear!!! Nice sport package wheels. I often wondered if I get the wrong car because I bought my G thinking it would save me a little gas compared to the M.

My friend with manual b6 Audi loves the lower delivery of my G. But I told him if he was chipped it would be about the same.

You basically backtracked my through process. I started with the g35/37 sedan and then saw in the used market I could get a similar year/mileage M for ~1.5k more then a 45 for ~1.5-2k more. Or ~15k more miles for the same price in each case.

I'm working a bit off Bugs logic of why he leases cars - to drive it for as cheap as possible for X number of years. It looks like there is very little depreciation between the 80 and 120k mile range. therefor making the car a cheap TCO so long as maintenance over that period isn't a mother fucker and you're willing to accept the fuel mileage.

What kind of issues are you having with yours?

Oh btw if anyone wants a blue 03 A4 1.8t Quattro ~112k miles, dealer replaced long block 50k it's all yours for 7k.

Quote:
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
You basically backtracked my through process. I started with the g35/37 sedan and then saw in the used market I could get a similar year/mileage M for ~1.5k more then a 45 for ~1.5-2k more. Or ~15k more miles for the same price in each case.

I'm working a bit off Bugs logic of why he leases cars - to drive it for as cheap as possible for X number of years. It looks like there is very little depreciation between the 80 and 120k mile range. therefor making the car a cheap TCO so long as maintenance over that period isn't a mother fucker and you're willing to accept the fuel mileage.

What kind of issues are you having with yours?

Oh btw if anyone wants a blue 03 A4 1.8t Quattro ~112k miles, dealer replaced long block 50k it's all yours for 7k.

Minor minor quirks. Much like if I was nit picking. My auto window up gets stuck in pinch protection. So I hit the button window goes up and drops back down 3 inches. My fuel gauge has a mind of its own. Similar to the previous m45 (03-04). The fix is to clean or replace the fuel sending unit( I have two units 1 cost $150 and the other is $300-450 because it has the fuel pump assembly). My pop up navi unit doesn't always work (not the same design as ur M). I replaced both front wheel bearings (they told me average life is about 65k). I have a compression rod bushing that's tearing (kinda like a control arm bushing).

All in all the car has been solid from 24k-78k. I've only done fluids and simple maintenance. Only thing extra was a crank sensor which cost me $55 @ 68k. I took it on a 1600 mile road trip recently and a 1400 mile trip about 2 year ago. I wouldn't worry too much about the M. The M is/was the flagship car. Vq35de is a very solid motor. Some years had oil consumption issues.
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 08:49 PM

Sportbike: KTM 690 SM
Years Riding: A little bit.
How you found us: I had the strangest dream.

Quote:
Haven't looked at them. Don't know anything about them cept for they are German. Some of the reviews I read on the Infiniti mentioned these have the Infiniti beat on luxury but aren't as nice to drive/driver oriented.

Any experience?

Those are Lexus, right?
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 09:30 AM
A.K.A. Vodka Waters

Sportbike: '06 GSX-R600 Red/Black
Years Riding: a few weeks
How you found us: Fell asleep on the keyboard, woke up here

Send a message via AIM to muddy Send a message via MSN to muddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by plotts View Post
Those are Lexus, right?
Yes, those are Lexus models. However, if you look for a similar model from a G or an M in the Infiniti line over on the Lexus side, you're going to be spending a few K more to get the similar features (miles, year, creature comforts). I purchased my M from McGrath Lexus in the city and that's where I got to check out the Lexus line. VERY nice cars, can't take that away from them, and of course they have extremely great reliability compared to the other luxury brands out there, but you will end up paying more for them.

Adam
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy View Post
Yes, those are Lexus models. However, if you look for a similar model from a G or an M in the Infiniti line over on the Lexus side, you're going to be spending a few K more to get the similar features (miles, year, creature comforts). I purchased my M from McGrath Lexus in the city and that's where I got to check out the Lexus line. VERY nice cars, can't take that away from them, and of course they have extremely great reliability compared to the other luxury brands out there, but you will end up paying more for them.
But if u were to sell/crash that Lexus it would have more value to them. Its how they always are. The LS, GS lines are great. The inline6/300 or v8/400/430 normally has a belt and the newer v6/350/250 line has a chain.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 02:14 PM
PIKUACH NEFESH

Quote:

Any experience?

those are Lexus models. Also , how about a Genesis v8 or spec R ?
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Ride Naked

Quote:
Originally Posted by plotts View Post
Those are Lexus, right?
Quote:
those are Lexus models. Also , how about a Genesis v8 or spec R ?

My fault.

I dunno why I was thinking MB.

I hadn't given much thought to the genesis sedan. Might should try that on. I know I like the exterior styling of the Infiniti better. But you can't see that when you're sitting in it.

Quote:
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
My fault.

I dunno why I was thinking MB.

I hadn't given much thought to the genesis sedan. Might should try that on. I know I like the exterior styling of the Infiniti better. But you can't see that when you're sitting in it.
^but every time u walk to ur car it makes u smile.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 03:50 PM
PIKUACH NEFESH

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle* View Post
^but every time u walk to ur car it makes u smile.
......and everytime you get a repair bill , it will make you cry.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Ride Naked

Quote:
......and everytime you get a repair bill , it will make you cry.
The infiniti will?

and the lexus wont?

(serious question)

Quote:
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 04:24 PM
PIKUACH NEFESH

Quote:
The infiniti will?

and the lexus wont?

(serious question)
The Mercedes will . I think all of the Jap cars will do better . Me personally , would look at a Genesis .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode