Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Broken clutch cables are no fun

1K views 36 replies 25 participants last post by  Streaker 
#1 ·
Just got back to Des Plaines from what was to be a "quick" loop downtown. Unfortunately for me, my clutch cable decided to let go pulling up to a light on LSD just south of Fullerton. Not good, and not the place to be stuck on the side of the road. I walked my bike to a side street and examined the situation- I couldn't really think of a way to fix the cable with what I had, and I'd rather not call someone to come get me if I could save them the hassle. Luckily, and I'm not sure why, the bike was able to start without the clutch being pulled in. Usually the Speed Triple you have to have the clutch in to start. I still can't figure that one out but this basically saved my butt.

After a couple of test runs I figured out that I could get a decent start by duck-walking up to a decent roll and then stomp it into first with a little gas. It was awkward, but worked. The problem was, I was near the lake on Ontario and of course I was getting every single light. I knew if I could just get to the highway I'd be fine but it was a good 15 blocks with lights on every single crossroad. I got fed up (and a little worried about hurting my bike) with the gear mashing after every light so I swallowed my pride and started the walk of shame past the lovely tourists and other denizens of the viagara triangle. I passed a group of sportbikers posing in a parking lot who shouted some encouraging words (at least, that's how I took it).

I eventually got past the loop and the highway was in sight. I threw on my gear and timed the lights so I could get my running start to put the bike into first. From there it was smooth sailing down 94/90/294 home, thank goodness.

Anyway, off to order a new clutch cable. Maybe two, just in case.
:mytruck:

See less See more
#2 ·
Been there, done that... No fun at all. When my cable snapped on my 600r, I was some where in deerfield, ~20 miles from home. It actually didn't snap right away, but I was down to 3 or 4 strands. Enough to barely make it home with *VERY* gentle clutch usage.

From then on, I carried a spare cable with me at all times.

Glad you made it back ok!

#7 ·
Ha yeah i figured you just ran outta gas, glad you made it home. Thats how you gotta ride my mini bike. get it rollin and pop it into gear!

#9 ·
What did they shout?

From the sounds of it i am sure it wasnt the line of hey everything ok? need a hand?

#35 ·
It's Pussy 'n' Pizza, come on now.

LOL I was actually pushing my bike into the BP gas station as you where pushing your bike past me by the Rock and roll Mcdonalds. The group of people at Wallgreens where waiting on me to fill up lol. My ass had to push fron the ohio street exit lol
Why push steve? Nobody would let you put your foot on their headlight and push you to the gas station using the bikes motor?

That's how I always get to the gas staions after running out, whether it is 5 or 15 miles away. Shit I've even thought about being pushed around to find cheaper gas:laughing:

#27 ·
+1 been there done that, and you dont have to push the bike at all. I typically up shift and down shift without the clutch anyway so once rolling- no big deal.

For anyone who hasnt had this happen to them yet- remember this trick.

#19 ·
Yea the T509 Loves to pop cluch cables up at the cluch lever. I had one for 5 years and broke a cable a year (had heavy cluch springs in the bike)

The worst was at the lights at the drag strip. Cable broke as soon as I hit WOT when the light went green..front end came up so fast if the triple tree broke my face sheild and i went of the back of the bike. Both feet hit the ground and I hit the rear brake with my knee before the bike fliped (pure luck)
I landed back on the bike racked myself and still ran a 11.2 at 142.....Got back to the pits and all you could hear was knock knock knock of my motor.

Total damage..Clutch Cable, Helmet,Cluch basket (sprag springs broke), number two rod and the oil pan cracked when it hit the ground. $5000
Plus i could not get it up for a week..priceless

Good Times:laughing:

#23 ·
LOL I was actually pushing my bike into the BP gas station as you where pushing your bike past me by the Rock and roll Mcdonalds. The group of people at Wallgreens where waiting on me to fill up lol. My ass had to push fron the ohio street exit lol

#26 ·
When we saw you... we were all under the impression it was Steve.... LOL

Sorry!!

Glad you made it home alright...

Were we at least posing nicely?!?! he he he

#29 ·
Sorry to hear of your mishap. Sucks.

What I want to know is:
A) None of the posers at Walgreens offered to help, a fellow biker in obvious need. Even if you thought it was Steve, still, no help. WTH.

B) None of the posers at Walgreens went back to help Steve?

2 different people pushing their rides, and no one offers help.

Maybe I'm missing some details, but this doesn't sound like the CLSB/biker family mentallity.

Please tell me, that's not what happened.

#30 ·
No, it's not a big deal, it sounds like they thought I ran out of gas and the gas station was about half a block up the road.

G2G, I saw you at the pump at the gas station, nice Duc. Funny that the people at Wallgreens were from this site, I know there are almost always people in that parking lot, thus the "posing" comment :neener:

If I could have just made it past that light on LSD I would have hit the exit for lower Wacker and I would have had a much easier time of it but c'est la vie. At least I didn't hit a traffic jam coming out of the city, I was pretty worried about that.

#32 ·
What I want to know is:
A) None of the posers at Walgreens offered to help, a fellow biker in obvious need. Even if you thought it was Steve, still, no help. WTH.

Dunno about this, I was at the gas station laughing at steve! :lmao:

B) None of the posers at Walgreens went back to help Steve?

Tried calling him but he didnt pick up.

2 different people pushing their rides, and no one offers help.

Maybe I'm missing some details, but this doesn't sound like the CLSB/biker family mentallity.

It wasn't a CLSB event.

Please tell me, that's not what happened.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.