who wants a recumbent? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: Half an SV 650
Years Riding: '07
How you found us: CLSB found me

who wants a recumbent?

My dad is gonna unload one of his recumbents. I haven't spoken with him about the details yet, but I know it's a pretty kick ass model and he's added a ton of cool shit to it. It's a titanuim frame and weighs nothing. If you're seriously interested, I can get you more info.

Jordan
NESBA/CCS #811
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 12:15 PM
DONATING MEMBER

Sportbike: Trackdayz "I" bike!
Years Riding: since last year
How you found us: In a fortune cookie

Gay. He does have some cool parts on it though. Funny thing is, most people don't realize how fast those go because you are cutting your wind resistance in half. I was on a group ride one day last year, and this guy was hauling balls on one. Took us quite a while to pass him.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 12:17 PM
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Sportbike: 955i Speed Triple, 100AE Road King, AP1 Honda S2000
Years Riding: 1/3rd of my life.
How you found us: Cave Johnson

Interested... Hit me up with a price. Any interest in a trade for guns?

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
Yeah, I quit doing blow, not being rad!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 12:25 PM
PIKUACH NEFESH

Sportbike: Italian,British,Japanese,Czech
Years Riding: LONG TIME
How you found us: CRR

As CP pointed out ,is speed the only advantage ?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
Quote:
Originally Posted by STANIMAL View Post
It's easier on your taint

Chris
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 12:47 PM

Sportbike: CBR1100XX & CBR1000F
Years Riding: I can't remember that far back.
How you found us: Member

I have a bent. Not my 1st bike of choice when going for a ride but I like it now and then. I normally ride road bikes. Some benefits. More aero as CP pointed out. Fast on flats. Comfortable. No holding your torso up so no strain on your arms and wrists. No neck shoulder strain from holding your head up. You are sitting on a large seat area. Builds leg strength quicker as your leg muscles are more isolated on it. By that I mean that you are working muscles to keep your legs spinning in the that position and you have to fight gravity to do it. You can't stand on the pedals to accelerate or when going up hills. Did I say comfort? You are in a sitting position like in a car so you tend to see a bit more around you and in front of you . It is harder to see behind you. Most bent riders use mirrors. For those interested in buying a bent you have to be aware of frame size like you do on most other bikes. The style like the one shown here typically has a boom that extends in and out of the main frame tube to compenstate for your own leg length. I don't see it in the pic but it could be hidden behind the crankset. If you need to adjust you may need to add links or remove links in the chain. Many bent riders add farings that make the bike even more aero. They are fast on flats. A strong rider on a flat road on a bent would be very hard to catch up to. Takes a few miles to get used to them. Mostly starting for a stop. You can't really push off to get you moving like on a upright (or Upwrong if you a true bent convert). Need to get your legs up on the pedals quick and get them moving. At first you tend to apply too much pressure on the first couple of revolutions to get forward momentum going and you tend to wallow around side to side. You get used to it really fast and learn to keep a consistent pressure on starts to avoid that.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 12:51 PM
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Sportbike: 955i Speed Triple, 100AE Road King, AP1 Honda S2000
Years Riding: 1/3rd of my life.
How you found us: Cave Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strek View Post
I have a bent. Not my 1st bike of choice when going for a ride but I like it now and then. I normally ride road bikes. Some benefits. More aero as CP pointed out. Fast on flats. Comfortable. No holding your torso up so no strain on your arms and wrists. No neck shoulder strain from holding your head up. You are sitting on a large seat area. Builds leg strength quicker as your leg muscles are more isolated on it. By that I mean that you are working muscles to keep your legs spinning in the that position and you have to fight gravity to do it. You can't stand on the pedals to accelerate or when going up hills. Did I say comfort? You are in a sitting position like in a car so you tend to see a bit more around you and in front of you . It is harder to see behind you. Most bent riders use mirrors. For those interested in buying a bent you have to be aware of frame size like you do on most other bikes. The style like the one shown here typically has a boom that extends in and out of the main frame tube to compenstate for your own leg length. I don't see it in the pic but it could be hidden behind the crankset. If you need to adjust you may need to add links or remove links in the chain. Many bent riders add farings that make the bike even more aero. They are fast on flats. A strong rider on a flat road on a bent would be very hard to catch up to. Takes a few miles to get used to them. Mostly starting for a stop. You can't really push off to get you moving like on a upright (or Upwrong if you a true bent convert). Need to get your legs up on the pedals quick and get them moving. At first you tend to apply too much pressure on the first couple of revolutions to get forward momentum going and you tend to wallow around side to side. You get used to it really fast and learn to keep a consistent pressure on starts to avoid that.
Thank you for that!

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
Yeah, I quit doing blow, not being rad!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 12:57 PM
PIKUACH NEFESH

Sportbike: Italian,British,Japanese,Czech
Years Riding: LONG TIME
How you found us: CRR

Its nice and all ,but Iam sticking to stuff with gas powered engines .
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Performance View Post
Gay. He does have some cool parts on it though. Funny thing is, most people don't realize how fast those go because you are cutting your wind resistance in half. I was on a group ride one day last year, and this guy was hauling balls on one. Took us quite a while to pass him.
yeah the only real DISadvantage is uphill... but he maintains a much higher average speed on this than his upright. and yea, he's so gay because he has back problems and can't ride his upright for too long but he still wants to participate in group rides and be healthy resulting in his recent weight loss of 50 lbs. what a fag

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartDrug View Post
Interested... Hit me up with a price. Any interest in a trade for guns?
i just called him, i'll get back to you guys with a price in a little bit. off the top of my head, here are some of the things he's done to it:

only the REAR HED wheel (front one is broken)
full dura-ace components 9 spd
chris king headset

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANIMAL View Post
my dad has back problems from riding his properly fitted upright so when he wants to go on longer or more advanced level rides, he takes one of his recumbents. the only reason he's selling is because he's had 2 for a while now and this one isn't getting ridden as much. the other one is a carbon framed thingamabober and i guess he wants to keep that one bc it's even more baller... aka overpriced.

it also works out a different group of muscles.

Jordan
NESBA/CCS #811
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strek View Post
good stuff, thanks!

Jordan
NESBA/CCS #811
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

oh and CP, don't confuse what i said with me not thinking that it's really gay when i see him pull up on this thing

Jordan
NESBA/CCS #811
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 01:44 PM
DONATING MEMBER

Sportbike: Trackdayz "I" bike!
Years Riding: since last year
How you found us: In a fortune cookie

As long as he wears spandex he's cool. I think most of the guys who ride these complain about back problems on typical road bikes. Same rules go for tandems too with wind resistance. One person's resistance, with two times the power.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 02:26 PM
Just for the smell of it!

Sportbike: GSXR 1000 06
Years Riding: Since 88'
How you found us: Thanks Odyssesy and Wink

I chase a couple of those on the bike trail all the time diong like 27mph those are fast with people that can ride them!

Nesba, Midwest Control Rider
retired CCS #141
retired AMA #151
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
As long as he wears spandex he's cool. I think most of the guys who ride these complain about back problems on typical road bikes. Same rules go for tandems too with wind resistance. One person's resistance, with two times the power.
if wearing spandex is cool, consider my dad miles davis.

Jordan
NESBA/CCS #811
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 07:29 PM
Tony M.

Sportbike: Yamaha Tri Zinger
Years Riding: a while
How you found us: a smarta$$ who has been banned.

When I'm old I'll be riding a Cervelo recumbent with carbon tubulars.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 12:05 AM

Sportbike: CBR1100XX & CBR1000F
Years Riding: I can't remember that far back.
How you found us: Member

Quote:
I have a tandem too. Rode it like 3 times. I bought it to go out with my wife on windy days. She doesn't like riding in the wind because she gets blown around. Turned out she didn't like the tandem. Doesn't like not being able to steer. Doesn't like staring at my back. You are right about cutting down the wind resistance. It can be faster over distance because of that. took my HS Lacrosse playing son out on it once. He thought he was in good shape. After about 40 miles he had new repect for the old man.

Oh by the way this looks like a nice bent. I think its a barcetta. Can't see the writing well enough. If it Ti its even nicer. Carbon fork. Nice components. Fast and light.

Last edited by Strek; 11-13-2011 at 12:13 AM.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

it's a ti bachetta. they introduced a newer carbon model but everyone liked the ti one more so it's a very sought after model since they don't produce them anymore.

he's asking $3500 and it comes with a spare rear wheel. aero maybe? i'll get the list of components and current pics tomorrow night...

Jordan
NESBA/CCS #811
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murcielago View Post
When I'm old I'll be riding a Cervelo recumbent with carbon tubulars.
i'll have to get a shot of his velocraft carbon bent he's keeping instead of this one.

Jordan
NESBA/CCS #811
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

here's his other one...

Jordan
NESBA/CCS #811

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode