Zones - Do They Matter? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: '03 SV 650S turned Nakid, '13 Empulse R
Years Riding: Enough
How you found us: Google

Zones - Do They Matter?

I just got a HR Monitor that ties in with my iPhone, and opened a TrainingPeaks account to track everything. I set my baseline CompuTrainer power on Thursday, and did a ride with some more experienced cyclists today.

My max HR on the baseline run was 202bpm, which set my zones at the following:
Recovery: <120
1: 121- 130
2: 131 - 150
3: 151 - 164
4: 165 - 178
5: 179 - 188
6: 189 - 202

On my ride today, which did wear me out but did not leave me incapacitated, I spent 3 min in zone 2, 4 min in zone 3, 2.5 min in zone 4, 20.5 min in zone 5, and 19.5 min in zone 6. I should note that these times included about 8 minutes of cool down. My CompuTrainer test followed almost the exact same distribution, except with a longer cool down, primarily in zone 2.

So do the zones mean anything for these 40-50 minute rides? I can't imagine sitting in zones 3 or 4 for extended periods of time, even when outside. But is keeping the HR lower the best thing for me to do? Whatever advice is given, I'll probably keep going balls out in the winter during the indoor TT rides, and then scale it back as appropriate during the longer outdoor rides.

Sean
03 SV650
13 Empulse R
05 Mazdaspeed Miata
13 JSW TDI

It is far better to be thought of as a smartass than an dumbass. And as American Humorist Robert Benchley (1889-1945) noted, "no matter how well-intended, any reply to a dumbass question will inevitably appear smartassed". - Bob Hall (creator of the Miata)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 03:55 PM
DONATING MEMBER

Sportbike: Trackdayz "I" bike!
Years Riding: since last year
How you found us: In a fortune cookie

I could write a novel on this type of stuff, but first off, are you sure your HR is correct? 202 is very high, and not even likely to be hit in a training ride. You want to make sure that is correct if you are training with HR because most everything is based off that. You are telling me you rode 20 minutes with your HR over 190?

------->> Best motorcycle shop ever!

http://www.chicagoperformance.com/
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 04:44 PM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: SBN

Zones - Do They Matter?

What Ken said!

I'm wondering if your monitor is reading funny. You shouldn't spend that much time in zone 5-6 on a training ride. To put it in perspective, aN FTP test probably wouldn't even have you in zone 6 for that much time. Well.....maybe, you would be close in a full hour FTP test.

Like Ken said you can write a novel on this. If your following training peaks they would have you spending a lot of time in zone 3-4 right now. In another week or so you'll be doing more VO2max workouts and spiking back and forth in shorter 1-2 hour workouts. For this season coming up though your base is probably going to be just what it is now. It's time to start working out in high intensity interval workouts CP style! Lol

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 05:54 PM
Resident Slow guy

Sportbike: 250x_Dirtbike Triumph_Tripled_955i 90_H-D_Bagger CR80_Mini_Motard
Years Riding: Street_LOOOOOOONG_Time Track Backmarker

Send a message via AIM to Ohfugit
You aren't posting from the ER are you?
That number does seem high.

Last edited by Ohfugit; 01-27-2013 at 06:04 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure it's right. Prior to using the monitor I would count my pulse from my neck for 15 seconds after a hard session and usually be 185+. The 202 was a spike, I maxed at 198 on today's ride. I was done with the FTP in 42 minutes, and could not spin out on cool down until 5 minutes after I unplugged. The test was a hilly course, which ended on .7 miles of 6.3% grade.

Right after I posted Training Peaks sent me an update to my threshold heart rate, and recommended bumping it to 181. I switched to Friel's method, which is based on the threshold heart rate rather than peak, and his recommended zones seem more aligned with my perceived effort. It has zone 3 starting at 162, zone 4 starting at 169, and zone 5 at 181. I guess I will keep uploading info and let TP's algorithms do their thing.

Sean
03 SV650
13 Empulse R
05 Mazdaspeed Miata
13 JSW TDI

It is far better to be thought of as a smartass than an dumbass. And as American Humorist Robert Benchley (1889-1945) noted, "no matter how well-intended, any reply to a dumbass question will inevitably appear smartassed". - Bob Hall (creator of the Miata)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 06:07 PM
Resident Slow guy

Sportbike: 250x_Dirtbike Triumph_Tripled_955i 90_H-D_Bagger CR80_Mini_Motard
Years Riding: Street_LOOOOOOONG_Time Track Backmarker

Send a message via AIM to Ohfugit
I like training peaks well

Quote:
Originally Posted by SopFu View Post
I'm pretty sure it's right. Prior to using the monitor I would count my pulse from my neck for 15 seconds after a hard session and usually be 185+. The 202 was a spike, I maxed at 198 on today's ride. I was done with the FTP in 42 minutes, and could not spin out on cool down until 5 minutes after I unplugged. The test was a hilly course, which ended on .7 miles of 6.3% grade.

Right after I posted Training Peaks sent me an update to my threshold heart rate, and recommended bumping it to 181. I switched to Friel's method, which is based on the threshold heart rate rather than peak, and his recommended zones seem more aligned with my perceived effort. It has zone 3 starting at 162, zone 4 starting at 169, and zone 5 at 181. I guess I will keep uploading info and let TP's algorithms do their thing.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 08:42 PM
DONATING MEMBER

Seriously. All your other workouts are like this? What about your CX races? You have data from those? I'd be curious to see them. If these numbers are correct, and you can come that close to max for that long, I'd say your top end is pretty well developed, and I would start doing some base miles to grow your base, because at this point, you aren't going to get much faster doing intervals.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

I just got the HR monitor, so I can't talk to the CX races. I wasn't surprised with the rate, what surprised me was the zones, and the advice on working in the zones. I'm just starting to research endurance training and am learning a lot every day.

Most of my "long distances" have been 40 to 50 miles (most of those on a cheap 29er, before I got the CX), with the longest ride last year of 65 miles after I got the CX (where I averaged 17MPH on the prairie path). Now that I have something I can cruise with, I will be upping the distances once I can get back outside.

Sean
03 SV650
13 Empulse R
05 Mazdaspeed Miata
13 JSW TDI

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 09:27 PM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: SBN

Zones - Do They Matter?

I'm not questioning your max hr. I don't think Ken is either. What doesn't make sense is how long your able to stay in hose upper zones. It's not human!

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 04:49 PM
Tony M.

Sportbike: Yamaha Tri Zinger
Years Riding: a while
How you found us: a smarta$$ who has been banned.

Zones definitely matter. When you set a goal it will be pretty specific. What ever the goal is; complete a century/race an olympic tri/marathon, the event of your choice will have certain demands. Figure out the demands of the event/race you want to do and schedule your training to start with general fitness and move toward specific training to emulate the event. High HR doesn't really tell you much. He talks extensively to this in the Training Bible. As your fitness improves your heart rate should be lower at a given intensity (power). Based on your post, it looks like you rode an hour at max effort. That is pretty much a cyclocross race. What kind of bike were you riding btw?

http://blog.trainingpeaks.com/posts/...ing-zones.html

I also shared these two articles about Anaerobic Energy.
http://blog.trainingpeaks.com/posts/...ng-part-1.html

http://blog.trainingpeaks.com/posts/...ng-part-2.html
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

I was on a Ridley X-Fire, but with 25mm road tires mounted. I'm also 29 y/o, and in decent shape - no body builder, but not a fatty, either.

So it sounds like I should be focusing on building base, and try and lower my working out HR. I've read the training bible and have decided to make this my "first year," meaning no real racing or specific training. Just lots of seat time. I'll still enter a few, but with no expectations. I'll read the book again in the fall and maybe work out a formalized training plan for next year.

Sean
03 SV650
13 Empulse R
05 Mazdaspeed Miata
13 JSW TDI

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 06:01 PM
DONATING MEMBER

Generally, you want to have a LOT of riding time early in the year with very little interval work or higher HR riding. Then as the year progresses towards racing season or when you are peaking for a certain race or event, you should increase your interval work and develop that anaerobic system more.

In a race, once you become more experienced, you can identify a racer's weakness and exploit that. If a guy is super strong up short hills and in a sprint, but never pulls or shows strong endurance during rides, he probably has a weak aerobic system, so if you picked up the pace a couple mph you can probably drop him early, even if he would whoop your ass in a sprint. And vice versa, super strong guys that pull all the time and look crazy strong don't necessarily have a good sprint or hill climb.

That is why I did a 2 hour trainer ride yesterday pretty easy and a 3 hour MTB ride today with average HR at 143. I'll work on the high HR stuff later in the year. Early races suck for everybody training correctly because racing is usually the only place most people will develop that high end power.

And that is why you should always race too, even if you don't want to be a "racer". Look at it as training races. Look at all the guys you know that race all the time. None of them are probably slow.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 12:14 PM
Go ahead, I'll catch up

Sportbike: 2013 RM-Z 250
Years Riding: Don't know anymore
How you found us: Saw a sticker on a bike

What heart rate monitor are you guys using? I am purchasing one for my spin classes and the one I am considering is the Polar H7. That unit uses bluetooth. It does not have the watch, only the chest strap. I don't think I really need the watch.

Thanks and ride safe,
Brian
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 12:31 PM
DONATING MEMBER

I use the garmin soft strap monitor. I am always using it with my garmins though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode