Which hitch mount bike carrier? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
"PC" ,my balls

Sportbike: '02 GSXR1000 (street),'02 GSXR600 (track),'94CR125 (dirt), 3x pocketbikes (oval), KTMs x 3
Years Riding: 20 years
How you found us: Google search

Which hitch mount bike carrier?

I put a hitch on the Focus and want a carrier for 3, probably 4, bikes. I've seen a Schwinn at Walmart for $99 and a Thule at a bike shop for $219. So anyone have experience with them that could tell me why not to buy cheapest? It would be for short hauls

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

My wife thinks we're a bunch of Top Gun wannabes with our call signs, so for future reference, I'm Roger

I've done some things I'm not proud of...and the things I am proud of are disgusting - Moe on the Simpsons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 05:51 PM

Sportbike: '03 SV 650S turned Nakid, '13 Empulse R
Years Riding: Enough
How you found us: Google

What kind of bikes? I'll sell you my top bar holder for $25. It holds 3 bikes, although it's not terribly easy to use. Bikes with extreme angles for the top bar may not work that well with it, either. Since I went carbon, I'm too afraid to clamp down the top tube with the old rack.

The racks that support the bikes by the tires/wheels are much more secure and safer than the racks that hang the bikes. But they are also more expensive.

Sean
03 SV650
13 Empulse R
05 Mazdaspeed Miata
13 JSW TDI

It is far better to be thought of as a smartass than an dumbass. And as American Humorist Robert Benchley (1889-1945) noted, "no matter how well-intended, any reply to a dumbass question will inevitably appear smartassed". - Bob Hall (creator of the Miata)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
"PC" ,my balls

Sportbike: '02 GSXR1000 (street),'02 GSXR600 (track),'94CR125 (dirt), 3x pocketbikes (oval), KTMs x 3
Years Riding: 20 years
How you found us: Google search

Hmmmm...my bike is carbon-fiber frame. Didn't think about clamping on that. I might end up dragging around the trailer. What kind are you selling? Might still be good for hauling kids bikes between their moms and my house

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

My wife thinks we're a bunch of Top Gun wannabes with our call signs, so for future reference, I'm Roger

I've done some things I'm not proud of...and the things I am proud of are disgusting - Moe on the Simpsons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 06:13 PM

Sportbike: '03 SV 650S turned Nakid, '13 Empulse R
Years Riding: Enough
How you found us: Google

Here is what it is, but older and well loved:

It's probably not a good idea for carbon. For a 1.25" receiver.

Sean
03 SV650
13 Empulse R
05 Mazdaspeed Miata
13 JSW TDI

It is far better to be thought of as a smartass than an dumbass. And as American Humorist Robert Benchley (1889-1945) noted, "no matter how well-intended, any reply to a dumbass question will inevitably appear smartassed". - Bob Hall (creator of the Miata)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 06:23 PM
Tony M.

Sportbike: Yamaha Tri Zinger
Years Riding: a while
How you found us: a smarta$$ who has been banned.

Thule T2 916xtr or Kuat nv2. I had the Thule 916xt (older version of the xtr) and it was great. KC6 has the Kuat and it works well also. My bike was on it a few times and I have no complaints.

The Saris Freedom 2 that I currently have has scratched 3 carbon frames. I'll never buy anything that holds onto the frame again. Have someone kick you in the balls if you want to know what a scratched frame feels like.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 06:48 PM
kc6
I'm mad bro

Sportbike: butter churn
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

I've got the Kuat Sherpa. Spendy but its very solid, had it for 3 years now. Not really cost effective for occasional bike transport, but if you do it often and have a good amount invested in the bike its worth it over time.

Kevin

Ask me how to get a free kick in the teeth!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 06:16 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Sears carries there own branded top boxes and carriers systems for bikes, kayaks and paddleboards. After researching I didn't want to blow the money on the Thule, I had looked closely at the Sears stuff and thought "crap this is identical except for the name plate" checked the Sears website for mounting instructions and if it would work on the Outback, the PDF file was directly from Thule! So I bought the Sears branded stuff and saved @$400. Point is don't get hung up on a brand.

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 11:18 AM
Retired but still working

Sportbike: 1994 H/D Softail Custom
Years Riding: Long Enough
How you found us: search

Send a message via Yahoo to Dean
I have the same one as Sup's in the Thule 3-Bike version. Both my bikes are carbon and I have no problem with using it. You really do not need to tighten it as much as you think to secure the frame; at least not to the point where you are worried about compressing the top tube.

Dean

What do the internet and Channel 11 have in common? They are both a window to the world; put it out there and do not be surprised who will see it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode