I want, no, need one of these - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Antique, Classic & Vintage Bikes This forum is for discussion of really old stuff.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: Honda VTR & RD400
Years Riding: I'm not tellin anymore
How you found us: he said he'd kill me if I tell

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 12:17 AM
Failed rehab

Sportbike: Striple
Years Riding: Dunno, awhile?
How you found us: DML

Send a message via AIM to Rob, Esq. Send a message via MSN to Rob, Esq.

Wow..... just fucking wow. I would kill two pigs and my mother for one of those. They're going to go for an insane amount of money.

Attorney-at-Law: Doing my part to contribute to the downfall of western society.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 12:56 AM
Highspeed ditch inspector

Sportbike: CB-360, RST Futura, 96/97/98/99 compilation of gixxers into one trackbike.
Years Riding: Since 2000
How you found us: Member

I would run over Rob's head with a semi, kill two pigs and his mother to get one of those.

!!!!!!!(.)(.)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!). (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!( y )!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Garage

Last edited by sqrly; 04-17-2010 at 01:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 07:19 AM
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Sportbike: 955i Speed Triple, 100AE Road King, AP1 Honda S2000
Years Riding: 1/3rd of my life.
How you found us: Cave Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S Preston, Esq. View Post

Wow..... just fucking wow. I would kill two pigs and my mother for one of those. They're going to go for an insane amount of money.
Word.

I'd guess $70k a pop.

Amazing stuff right there.

I'm gonna go buy a Versys and throw it in a storage unit... That'll be worth some cash someday... someday.

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
Yeah, I quit doing blow, not being rad!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 02:40 PM
Bop your way home...

Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

Holy f'en shit.

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 08:30 AM

Sportbike: Triumph Bonneville...the original sportbike!
Years Riding: Since about 11 years after my adult teeth came in
How you found us: I tripped over ya on my way to the can!

Interesting discovery...but think about it...would you really want one of those?
Been sitting all those years ... all the rubber , hoses, tires, intake etc. dry rotted...piston rings have sat in the same position in the bore for all those years with no oil...at least 2 of the valve springs have sat compressed and are probably completely sacked and that would mean at least 2 valve seats have sat without the valve seated to protect it...once again without oil....The problems associated with a bike that has sat that long are many!...The Rush to have one of those bikes that will drive the price to ridiculous levels is definately the more money than brains crowd!
If you're really interested in a Norton or other classic Brit bike you have one of the best sources of well cared for bikes right in your back yard. The Chicago Norton Owners Club is an active group with alot of rides and events and a virtual endless source of knowledge and expertise on all things motorcycle...especially British.
We meet on the second Wednesday of the month at John's Pizza on Lake street in Addison and everyone is welcome. In the nice weather months ( or even in the bad weather months if the weather is unseasonably nice) there are always some really nice vintage and classic bikes in the east parking lot...There are always bikes for sale or parts or info about stuff available. If you have an interest in old bikes, c'mon by...we won't bite and we're looking for and encouraging new and younger members to get involved.

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 08:46 AM
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Sportbike: 955i Speed Triple, 100AE Road King, AP1 Honda S2000
Years Riding: 1/3rd of my life.
How you found us: Cave Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimeBiker View Post
Interesting discovery...but think about it...would you really want one of those?
Been sitting all those years ... all the rubber , hoses, tires, intake etc. dry rotted...piston rings have sat in the same position in the bore for all those years with no oil...at least 2 of the valve springs have sat compressed and are probably completely sacked and that would mean at least 2 valve seats have sat without the valve seated to protect it...once again without oil....The problems associated with a bike that has sat that long are many!...The Rush to have one of those bikes that will drive the price to ridiculous levels is definately the more money than brains crowd!
If you're really interested in a Norton or other classic Brit bike you have one of the best sources of well cared for bikes right in your back yard. The Chicago Norton Owners Club is an active group with alot of rides and events and a virtual endless source of knowledge and expertise on all things motorcycle...especially British.
We meet on the second Wednesday of the month at John's Pizza on Lake street in Addison and everyone is welcome. In the nice weather months ( or even in the bad weather months if the weather is unseasonably nice) there are always some really nice vintage and classic bikes in the east parking lot...There are always bikes for sale or parts or info about stuff available. If you have an interest in old bikes, c'mon by...we won't bite and we're looking for and encouraging new and younger members to get involved.

Touche`

I wouldn't pick one of those up to ride though, that would sit in a hermetically sealed lexan container in my bedroom so I could fuck my girlfriend while looking at it every night.

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
Yeah, I quit doing blow, not being rad!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 08:54 AM
d0 work s0n!

Sportbike: '06 GSX-R
Years Riding: Moment I got off the street
How you found us: twinky in the donut?

"if i close my mind in fear, please pry it open. if my face becomes sincere beware.
when i start to come undone, stitch me together.
when you see me stretched remind me of what left this outlaw torn."
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 09:17 AM
SV650N

Sportbike: 2005 SV650SN
Years Riding: Since 1980
How you found us: craigslist

Awww, come on OTB, don't rain on our parade! There's still something to be said about 0 miles on a 30+ year old bike! :-)

The kind of people who would bid on these bikes probably aren't concerned about dry-rot, etc.

Still, its a terrific find and a great story.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 03:02 PM

Sportbike: Triumph Bonneville...the original sportbike!
Years Riding: Since about 11 years after my adult teeth came in
How you found us: I tripped over ya on my way to the can!

No rain intended...just imparting a little vintage bike wisdom/experience...If you really want an old bike, search for one with a history of being used regularly and well taken care of.

Also...Gave me a chance to plug the CNOC...C'mon by next monthe and feast your eyes on Nortons that have been ridden regularly the last 30 years and look MUCH better than the ones in the crates!

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 08:06 PM
Old and In The Way!

Sportbike: 04 Buell XB12R
Years Riding: long enough
How you found us: My kid brought me here

OTB is Right!

Just think about it, the gaskets and seals! they havn't done anything except dry out for 30 years. the motor will have to be completely gone thru and have any thing replaced. Pistons, OK but the rings are probably rusted to the bores. Just think what you'll have to go thru to get them out. I understand the enthusiuasm about thirty year old bikes, but my 72 Bonnie is ready to go for a lot less money.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 08:35 PM
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: 3 days
How you found us: unemployment office

Send a message via AIM to MoparBoyy
wow...

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 09:23 PM
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: 3 days
How you found us: unemployment office

Send a message via AIM to MoparBoyy
start bidding!

http://www.troostwijkauctions.com/uk...02-13018-6168/

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 02:10 PM
Gullible Idiot

Sportbike: '75 Honda CB360T, '09 Suzuki Vstrom 650
Years Riding: Since Summer '07
How you found us: Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimebiker View Post
interesting discovery...but think about it...would you really want one of those?
Been sitting all those years ... All the rubber , hoses, tires, intake etc. Dry rotted...piston rings have sat in the same position in the bore for all those years with no oil...at least 2 of the valve springs have sat compressed and are probably completely sacked and that would mean at least 2 valve seats have sat without the valve seated to protect it...once again without oil....the problems associated with a bike that has sat that long are many!...the rush to have one of those bikes that will drive the price to ridiculous levels is definately the more money than brains crowd!
If you're really interested in a norton or other classic brit bike you have one of the best sources of well cared for bikes right in your back yard. The chicago norton owners club is an active group with alot of rides and events and a virtual endless source of knowledge and expertise on all things motorcycle...especially british.
We meet on the second wednesday of the month at john's pizza on lake street in addison and everyone is welcome. In the nice weather months ( or even in the bad weather months if the weather is unseasonably nice) there are always some really nice vintage and classic bikes in the east parking lot...there are always bikes for sale or parts or info about stuff available. If you have an interest in old bikes, c'mon by...we won't bite and we're looking for and encouraging new and younger members to get involved.
+1

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode