Antique Plates on a Cafe? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Antique, Classic & Vintage Bikes This forum is for discussion of really old stuff.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Gullible Idiot

Sportbike: '75 Honda CB360T, '09 Suzuki Vstrom 650
Years Riding: Since Summer '07
How you found us: Friend

Antique Plates on a Cafe?

My friend recently picked up a ’72 CL175 and asked about getting antique plates for it. This reminded me of a search I did a while ago. The DMV in IL classifies vehicles that are more than 25 years old as eligible for vintage plates. However the website states:

To qualify for Antique Plates, motor vehicles, including motorcycles, must be more than 25 years old.

Vehicles displaying these plates may only be driven to and from an antique auto show or exhibition, service station or demonstration. The mechanical and physical condition of the vehicle, including brakes, lights, glass and appearance, must be the same or as safe as originally equipped. An antique vehicle may be a "bona fide replica" - an exact copy of the original in design, frame and mechanical operation. "Facsimiles" - close, but not exact, reproductions of the original - do not qualify for Antique Vehicle plates.

Back then, I took it that café racers are out of the question right? I played it safe and got “regular” plates and told my friend that we do not qualify for them. However, from several journey logs I read from ADV rider there are tons of guys that ride old bikes (with aftermarket mods) with antique plates across the US that do not get any flak from the local smokies. I posted this same topic on a vintage bike forum and it was unanimous that the people that did have antique plates NEVER got pulled over for improper license plates. Any experience/tips?

Technically I am ALWAYS going to be riding to a service station for gas at some point

FYI: The benefits for this new class of plate is a 5 year renewal (vs 1 year) and the license renewal fee is minimal compared to a regular motorcycle title.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 10:10 AM
he who is absent foreskin

Sportbike: Z1000
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: Search Engine

Send a message via AIM to Loki047
Re: Antique Plates on a Cafe?

Joining for plating my.honda

Jordan
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 10:50 AM

Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
cops dont care what plate is on the vehicle as long as its registered to that vehicle and has current registration, its all about the benjamins

-Jason
CCS AM #31
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Gullible Idiot

Sportbike: '75 Honda CB360T, '09 Suzuki Vstrom 650
Years Riding: Since Summer '07
How you found us: Friend

Cool. I think I will make the swap in spring.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 11:55 AM
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Sportbike: 955i Speed Triple, 100AE Road King, AP1 Honda S2000
Years Riding: 1/3rd of my life.
How you found us: Cave Johnson

Worst case scenario, tell the cop that Honda made it like that to qualify for some race class in 1972 and that it is stock. You think the cop is gonna know?

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
Yeah, I quit doing blow, not being rad!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 01:22 PM
Only TWO cams now...

Sportbike: 1978 Suzuki GS750C
Years Riding: Long time
How you found us: Google.com

Thanks for the info on the antique plates, looks like that might be a good idea.

"Fear only two: G-d, and him who fears not G-d."
-Judah Leib Lazerov

"Tov lamut be'ad artzaynu." (It is good to die for our country)
-Joseph Trumpeldor
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 02:05 PM
Only TWO cams now...

Sportbike: 1978 Suzuki GS750C
Years Riding: Long time
How you found us: Google.com

"The undersigned does hereby affirm that the vehicle for which registration is sought herein will be driven on the highways
only in going to and returning from antique car shows or exhibitions, for servicing, or for a demonstration, and does affirm
that the mechanical condition, physical condition, brakes, light, glass and appearance of such vehicle is the same or as safe
as originally equipped."

Cool. I am always servicing my carbs....damn things.

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/pu...ns/rtopr10.pdf

"Fear only two: G-d, and him who fears not G-d."
-Judah Leib Lazerov

"Tov lamut be'ad artzaynu." (It is good to die for our country)
-Joseph Trumpeldor
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 07:05 PM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk
How you found us: Google

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartDrug View Post
Worst case scenario, tell the cop that Honda made it like that to qualify for some race class in 1972 and that it is stock. You think the cop is gonna know?
This will work until you get pulled over by Nexus or Muskrat. Oh wait, it will still work.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 06:13 PM

Sportbike: Triumph Bonneville...the original sportbike!
Years Riding: Since about 11 years after my adult teeth came in
How you found us: I tripped over ya on my way to the can!

The law extends a bit beyond what you quoted Krukster. Basically, Illinois antique plates allow you to operate to and from shows, exhibitions, parades, club meetings and all day on Sunday. It also allows to and from places of repair. The idea is to keep those with antique plates (which are cheaper to purchase) from operating the vehicle as an everyday driver and to and from work everyday during peak traffic and risk exposure. I have had antique plates on a few of my bikes and my 1952 Chevy pick up for years and never been stopped, hassled or questioned in any way.
Another upside to having antique plates is that it makes you eligible for agreed value collector insurance which is MUCH cheaper than standard insurance. It has restrictions but none of them should apply if you don't ride to work or school.

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 06:01 PM
Unregister User

Sportbike: 09 Buell 1125CR, 02 Yamaha Warrior
Years Riding: .
How you found us: Dumb luck!

Registered my 81 XS650 today as an antique motorcycle. $95 for title and $24 for plate. Its pro-rated for remainder of the 5 years they expire Dec.31 2014. The DMV doesn't have antique plates there like the normal plates, they are mailed to your house though you get a temp plate to use, same as you would from a currency exchange or dealer. Have them on my VW beetle for the last few years with no issues. i will be getting the same type of plates for my CL350 project when completed.

The bike will just be used for weekend outings and club meetings and if I take it to work I just so happen to work at a repair center. Now just have to call for insurance.

Nesba #74 I
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 09:41 AM

Sportbike: Triumph Bonneville...the original sportbike!
Years Riding: Since about 11 years after my adult teeth came in
How you found us: I tripped over ya on my way to the can!

Let me recommend the Riders Choice insurance agency (www.callriderschoice.com (630)204-4178). Miriam & Tim are the best at getting their clients the best coverage. They write most of the coverage for the Chicago Norton owners club.
Here's another fact about antique license plate laws in Illinois: You are allowed to mount and display an Illinois plate from the year of manufacture of your vehicle (bike).
For instance, I have a 1967 plate I purchased at an Antique motorcycle club swap meet on my '67 Triumph mounted over my current antique plate. The law requires you to have the current registration and plate with you. It's a cool provision, especially if you're displaying your bike in vintage shows.
So...who's bringing their old bikes to Mods vs. Rockers on June 18?

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 01:20 PM

Sportbike: 05 DRZ-SM, 80 GS1100E, 99 KTM 125SX, 03 KTM 200MXC
Years Riding: Since 2001
How you found us: ?

Send a message via AIM to Ryan Send a message via Yahoo to Ryan
$24 for 5 years? I think I will put them on my GS1100 next time the plates expire. Having 4 bikes with license plates gets expensive when all the registrations expire.

My boss got pulled over by a local cop in one of his street rods with antique plates a few years ago. The cop saw him driving the car to work almost every day so he questioned his use of the antique plates. He did not get a ticket since owns an auto repair shop so he was actually driving to a repair facility .
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 01:23 PM

Sportbike: 05 DRZ-SM, 80 GS1100E, 99 KTM 125SX, 03 KTM 200MXC
Years Riding: Since 2001
How you found us: ?

Send a message via AIM to Ryan Send a message via Yahoo to Ryan
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimeBiker View Post
So...who's bringing their old bikes to Mods vs. Rockers on June 18?
I might. The 1100 doesn't really fit into the typical mods vs rockers type of bike but I have always wanted to check it out anyways.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 09:21 AM
Unregister User

Sportbike: 09 Buell 1125CR, 02 Yamaha Warrior
Years Riding: .
How you found us: Dumb luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
$24 for 5 years? I think I will put them on my GS1100 next time the plates expire. Having 4 bikes with license plates gets expensive when all the registrations expire.
It is more than $24 for the 5 years but only $30 I paid $24 as it is prorated.

[/QUOTE]My boss got pulled over by a local cop in one of his street rods with antique plates a few years ago. The cop saw him driving the car to work almost every day so he questioned his use of the antique plates. He did not get a ticket since owns an auto repair shop so he was actually driving to a repair facility .[/QUOTE]

Kinda the same scenario except I don't own a bike repair shop just work at one. I only have a 4 mile ride to work and all the local cops do not hassle the employees of the dealership. They actually apologized to a coworker for pulling him over.

Nesba #74 I

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode