New to the forum and thought I would show-off (modestly) a bit of what I've been up to.
I grew up on dirt bikes, but have never owned a street bike before. I have done a lot of car modifying for auto-X and drag racing, so I hope some of that transfers!
About the bike:
I bought this 1976 CB550F in October last year as a 'winter project'. Being new to Chicago (from Arizona)... I didn't realize quite how cold unheated garages are... and the project quickly moved to a Spring one!
Bike was purchased non-running
& I had no idea what to look for. It was dumb luck it is as solid as it is, and even so - its pretty rough!
I finally got started on it last weekend & have made a little progress.
Woohoo - hit 15 posts - here are progress pics!
Bike as it came to me:
And a few more cell pics showing other angles and the sad condition:
In the 1st day of wrenching I tackled the most offensive pieces &
Removed Sissy bar
Removed rear fender
Removed rear brake & turn lights
Installed new rear shocks (with reservoirs) from a CB1100F (thanks Ebay)
I also turned the bars down to get an idea of whether I could chop the existing ape bars to save a few bucks... but I could not!
Second day of wrenching was also pretty effective.
Got the rear 16" 'cruiser' wheel switched out for a 18" 'cafe' style one
Removed the very rusty tank
Removed the rack of carbs & started clean up
Most recent day of wrenching happened on a weekday.. and was cut short by work. Still knocked out a few items:
Finished Carb rebuild & reinstalled Rack & linkage
Installed less rusty tank from a 550K
And thats where I'm at for now.
If everything goes well in the next couple days, I am going to throw some gas in the tank, and get a battery and try to start it.
If it starts, I'll start the actual rebuild, and start pulling things apart, cleaning, fabricating, and generally making things more pretty.
If it doesn't start... Then its the not-so fun task of troubleshooting...
I'll try and get a better profile shot