Badass vintage dirt bikes, these guys are awesome. - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Antique, Classic & Vintage Bikes This forum is for discussion of really old stuff.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: KTM 690 SM
Years Riding: A little bit.
How you found us: I had the strangest dream.

Badass vintage dirt bikes, these guys are awesome.

Yes they are expensive, but holy shit. Well done.

http://www.eastcoastvintagemx.com/bi..._sale_homepage

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 11:44 AM

Sportbike: Triumph Bonneville...the original sportbike!
Years Riding: Since about 11 years after my adult teeth came in
How you found us: I tripped over ya on my way to the can!

Vintage moto is all around. There's AHRMA and Midwest VMX that has a local series that runs all summer around Il, Iowa, Minn. Wisc. etc. plus the AMA has their vintage Grand Championships in July @ Mid-Ohio. These bikes are beautiful but a tad pricey because they're over restored...But Hey...if it's what you want and you have the cash...you only get to do this once! It's amazing how many vintage dirt bikes are around that are raceable once you start looking.
In spite of some off track personality conflicts that have led to political BS it sometimes seems that vintage racing is stagnant or in decline. Nothing could be further from the truth. I see vintage racing only getting bigger. Hopefully some of the boys who spent too much time trying to prove who's dick was the biggest will start to disappear or start acting like adults and all of vintage racing can come together and be the great national sport it should be!
Cool site, cool bikes and a new source for parts & such...Thanks for posting!

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 09:18 PM
rider for life

Sportbike: CBR1100XX
Years Riding: First let the clutch out in 1972
How you found us: no- you found me

"Over restored"?

With visibly dented (and aftermarket) pipes, in many cases? Wouldn't really call them that myself- just way too much ArmorAll on the knobbies!

Last edited by Sandman; 08-13-2011 at 09:20 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 10:58 PM

Sportbike: Triumph Bonneville...the original sportbike!
Years Riding: Since about 11 years after my adult teeth came in
How you found us: I tripped over ya on my way to the can!

"Over restored" as in made too pretty. Either you're going to pay too much for a bike you're going to look at and maybe show off or you're going to be serious and work at finding a racer that isn't pretty but will take you around the track as fast as you are capable of going for about half the price.
What I'm driving at is that vintage racing is (and should be) about racing. Not having the best looking looking old MX bike in your garage. Those kind of guys have seeped into vintage racing but thankfully they don't dominate it...They remind me of the guys in the '80's who didn't have a mechanical cell in their bodies but thought it was a status symbol to pay more for their exotic car (Porsche, Beemer, Mercedes, etc.) than their buddy and have the biggest repair bills compared to the next guy...it was ridiculous...It was a scream to watch them all come running to the shop I worked in part time trying to unload those cars for pennies on the dollar when the market crashed in '87 and they couldn't make margin call!
Buy a junky looking runner, fix it up to make it raceable and race it...that's what it's about!

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!

Last edited by OldTimeBiker; 08-14-2011 at 07:00 AM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 01:36 PM
oldgixxer

Sportbike: 2001 gixxer 1000
Years Riding: 45
How you found us: internet search

They R indeed gorgeous, kind of takes me back and love those radial cooling fins on the head. As old time biker noted they r pricey, Not the I wouldn't ride mine, but I don't mind lookin at purty murdercycles, and my fast days. Tell that to the guys flyin old Mustangs, T-6s, Sea Fury's, and the Tigercat. That kind of art doesn't go out of style. So if you buy one and start gettin all sentimental like oldtimbiker, send it my way.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 01:39 PM
oldgixxer

Oh yeah, my fast days, what fast days, I never really liked pain, and I hate gettin my purdy toys all scratched up, I'm just along for the ride! Oh Yeah, keep postin that stuff, it does kind of remind me of the good old days.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 01:41 PM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

Love #1 and #2 and had #3 when I was 12
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC07173.187193529_std.JPG (113.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05133.183225818_std.JPG (56.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05705.183232918_std.JPG (128.0 KB, 28 views)

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

My uncle had a Bultaco a lot like that one.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 02:19 PM
oldgixxer

Yeah when I was an Air Force brat at LRAFB, my Dad was an IP in the C-130 and I mowed all the little leftenants and captains yards. One captain grider, had a full bore KX250 that he rode to work every morning in the dark . Course no lights, but you could hear that two stroke for 5 miles. the SPs chased him every morning. Another captain had a blue 250 bultaco, i took lots of breaks just to stare at that beauty, he also built a really cool SE-5 control line biplane, that was gorgeous too, untill he got a little carried away flying it inverted. Those guys were the best friends a fouteen year old guy ever had. I had a learners permit for a car and a motordriven cycle license, with a beautifull Kawi 90 SS. My neighbor Bonn Tanner, Texan to the max, had to let me drive his 65 corvette, with a 396 porcupine motor ahead of a four speed, he fell in a hole playin frisbee and needed a clutch for his Tiyotta! He couldn't drive the vette because he was on crutches, I did ok till some dumb hillbilly in jax ark came over the top of the hill doin about 70 and ran a red light. We Bonn, the vette, and yours truly were at the bottom of the hill, goin 30. With my lightnin quick 14 year old reflexes, I went WOT and down to second, and exploded that vette into orbit, needless to say Captain Tanner never invited me to drive the Vette again, I told him about the truck, but he may have had a accident, he wasn't impressed, but I was hooked.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 09:22 AM
Pringles can user

Sportbike: 2005 YZ250
Years Riding: 1977
How you found us: Geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
Love #1 and #2 and had #3 when I was 12
I love the 79 RM! My Buddy had one at tricked out, i used love to try and ride it as thats when i had my 78 yz80- 79 was a great year for riding - we rode almost every friggin day that summer!

DO YOU WANT TO BE A BETTER DIRT OR MX RIDER OR LEARN TO RIDE DIRT?

CLICK THE LINK!

http://www.club57mx.com/

Wiping my last dump was like cleaning Laffy Taffy off a hot car dashboard.
Doug Stanhope

Thanks to my Sponsors - Gaerne, Protaper, ScottUSA, MSR, Motomaster Brake systems, Faction MX, Sunline, Dr D, EVS, DECAL WORKS.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 03:01 PM
#40 expert

Sportbike: gsxr600
Years Riding: 40+ years started at four (My dad still rides Motocross at 80)
How you found us: nesba.com

I raced a 1979 100cc in 1979 It was a 125 frame and a 100cc jug with 125 corroborators. It had a refrigerator coil as a radiator to cool the head and didn't use a water pump to circulate the water... just hot rises that's it.

I won 1st place almost all year. I wish I had a picture of that thing.

next year 1980 I kept racing the 100 and got the first watercooled yamaha 125 Great year. Anyone remember it had the radiator on the numberplate.

DESIGN-ENGINE|EDUCATION
Pro/ENGINEER training ZX6R CCS Expert #40 #1 plate holder
http://design-engine.com/category/racing/ RACE BLOG

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode