Vintage Racing/ Track Days? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Antique, Classic & Vintage Bikes This forum is for discussion of really old stuff.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 07 Triumph Speed Triple, 00 Suzuki DRZ 400
Years Riding: 2 years
How you found us: search engine

Vintage Racing/ Track Days?

does anybody have any info on any events, races, around here? wisconsin, indiana? anywhere around here? considering buying a cb750 but i would really like to spend some track time with it. i already have a street bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 09:06 AM
6Teen Cycles

Sportbike: '61 Pan Shovel
Years Riding: Since before 600s were fast!
How you found us: I forgot

Send a message via AIM to geomoto Send a message via Yahoo to geomoto
PM Dave13 I think I remember him saying he knew somebody that did Vintage Racing.

“The shapes and beauty of the motor are very important to me. Older bikes have beauty. Modern bikes…I don’t have any favorite shapes.”
-Shinya Kimura

'73 BMW Blog
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 09:56 AM

Sportbike: RC31
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: it's a small world afterall

Look up AHRMA for racing, and Big Bob from ChiVinMoto sometimes organizes a vintage trackday session with PTT

Swift Molly's Motor Circus
MichelinWoodcraftArmour BodiesSpyder LeatherworksSTTSTG

UNAPOLOGETIC FAN OF THINGS THAT ARE OLD AND SLOW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 07:47 PM

Sportbike: Triumph Bonneville...the original sportbike!
Years Riding: Since about 11 years after my adult teeth came in
How you found us: I tripped over ya on my way to the can!

Hey, I know this thread is about a week and a half old, but I would add that you should also check into WERA vintage racing. They have classes for almost as many bikes as AHRMA.
AHRMA has events at Gratten, South Haven, Road America and Mid-Ohio.
Big Bob's track days are for vintage only machines and he's had them at Blackhawk and the track in Joliet. If you PM me with your email address I'll have Big Bob contact you.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 02:14 PM
Gullible Idiot

Sportbike: '75 Honda CB360T, '09 Suzuki Vstrom 650
Years Riding: Since Summer '07
How you found us: Friend

I would be interested in vintage bike racing, except I am too worried about my CB either falling apart from the stress or crashing and blowing through all the $$$ I put into it
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krukster86 View Post
I would be interested in vintage bike racing, except I am too worried about my CB either falling apart from the stress or crashing and blowing through all the $$$ I put into it

Honda CB's of ALL displacements are very popular for vintage racing because they are so reliable.
Did you put all that money and time into it to park it and admire it or to use it as it was intended to be used...Think of all the guys who are racing priceless Indians and HD's, or Velocettes, AJS' and BSA GoldStars, or Triumph Tigers & Bonnevilles and other bikes that fetch more in basketcase condition than your CB would as it sits today!
Ride'em...Don't hide 'em...race "em...don't pace 'em.

AHRMA IS Fun on Old Wheels!
I know several guys who have built and are racing old CB's you should talk to.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 10:51 PM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk
How you found us: Google

It would take 2 grenades to blow that Honda engine. Buy sqrlys bike, strip off all the pretty stuff, and race that. I bought my project bike strictly to race. Less $$$ and more fun.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 02:39 PM

Sportbike: XB12R, H1, TTR125
Years Riding: I still have some money left...
How you found us: old member

Which CB are you talking about? Four or a twin cylinder? DOHC or SOHC? 350, 400, 450, 500, 550, 750, 900? You could still run the vintage bike in Ultralightweight Superbike at CCS events too.

AHRMA generally has more purist rules with 18" wheels for more classic and formula programs of the early CB's. WERA is kind of open, but they don't race in Wisconsin at Road America.

"Super" Dave Rosno

Team Visionsports Racing
Super Dave's Race Against Childhood Cancer
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Dave View Post
...AHRMA generally has more purist rules with 18" wheels for more classic and formula programs of the early CB's...

???????...
Depending on the class you intend to race in, AHRMA rules are the easiest to comply with because they demand bikes to be "as raced" in the period in which the bike was most popular. They even have a "Historic production" class that is pretty much a stock class that is broken down as heavyweight and lightweight ( CB 350, 350F, 400F, & 450 all are lightweight) The 18" rim diameter is a minimum diameter requirement to keep racers from mounting modern type 16" wheels.
The biggest restrictions in regards to wheels is rim width and tires. Rim widths are all "as equipped" and the list of eligible tires is extensive and very available...stock equipment would never fall out of AHRMA rules.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimeBiker View Post
???????...
The largest portion of AHRMA racing is not historic production.

Historic production is just that. Very, very basic stuff that deals with very production based stuff. Yeah, it is a good way to get started, but one can't race in that class forever. Most riders even go ahead and build for period modified classes.

In historic production, you're gonna run stock wheels. 19 fronts with 18 rears often from some bikes of the period. Yeah, some will have 18's front and rear. You can't run modern production 17" wheels until you're into the "superbike" period class.

Period modified classes have names that designate the period. Grand Prix, Forumla, Superbike, etc. all designate periods. Over the years, there have been very specific opportunities for changes ranging from not allowing specific carburetors, pipe configurations, caliper replacements and so on. So, you've got to really read an AHRMA rule book to understand where one might be restricted.

It's a neat program. Don't believe they raced at Gingerman in 2008.

"Super" Dave Rosno

Team Visionsports Racing
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 09:33 AM

True that Historic Production is not all of what AHRMA road racing is, my point was that the rules are not difficult to comply with in any class, and that there are classes where one can compete in with a stock bike.
I personally don't compete in the road race program. I'm qualified to and carry a license for road race, but, at heart I'm a dirt guy and always will be. I have many friends who do road race and they are mostly very happy with AHRMA's rules structure. AHRMA's rules encourage competition and participation.
As I understand it, AHRMA left Gingerman off the schedule because the opportunity to pick up a date at Road America. It is also being rumored that the AHRMA RA event is going to expand into a full blown AHRMA happening with Vintage and Post-Vintage MX, Trials, a swap meet & concourse vintage bike show and possibly a Cross Country & Flat Track in conjunction with the event. Similar to Mid-Ohio's and Barber's AHRMA events.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 09:48 AM

I understand, Dan.

I raced a CB400F and a couple of CB750's (single overhead cam models, so they were Formula bikes rather than being later model's used in Superbike), and there were some very specific rules that were just, well, strange. Some of those issues have been worked out. As an exmaple, at one time, a WERA vintage bike in Formula 500 was not legal in AHRMA Formula 500, but the AHRMA bike was legal in WERA Formula 500.

To use a linear example, a WERA "superstock" bike conforms to CCS "supersport" rules, but the open opportunities will not allow a CCS Supersport bike built to the rules to compete in WERA Superstock.

A "Honda vintage racer" is a pretty broad topic, and I'd be very interested in knowing which model was being considered. A lot of the twins are run in Sportsman, which is really competitive.

I'm a road guy, as you know, but I'd still like to do an AHRMA MX or flat track. Don't see it happening soon, but I can always dream.

"Super" Dave Rosno

Team Visionsports Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode