Vintage IMS - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Antique, Classic & Vintage Bikes This forum is for discussion of really old stuff.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: Triumph Bonneville...the original sportbike!
Years Riding: Since about 11 years after my adult teeth came in
How you found us: I tripped over ya on my way to the can!

Vintage IMS

With the International Motorcycle Show a few weeks off I wanted to mention that there is a pretty large vintage presence at the show this year. The Chicago Norton Owners Club, which is open to all vintage motorcycle enthusiasts, will be having their annual display...My 2 '67 Triumphs will be in the CNOC display.
Also, Cafe' Racer magazine out of Ohio will be having a display in conjunction with the TonUp Club. The TUC will be promoting the 2009 Mods vs. Rockers show...(save Saturday June 20 for this event starting at noon at Diversey and Lincoln in Chicago). Also, in addition to several other vintage displays, like the Moto Guzzi Owners, the Americam Motorcycle Heritage Foundation museum will have a booth with a display and will be selling raffle tickets for a pair of Triumph Bonnevilles, a fully restored 1959 model and a 2009 50th Anniversary model. I'll be working the museum booth on Friday, and will be in and out of the CNOC and Cafe' Racer booth all day Saturday & Sunday, so mention to someone you're from CLSB.com and if I'm around you'll be directed my way.
AND...As you're leaving the show, they usually have a video display survey that takes only a minute to fill out...please let them know you liked the vintage bike displays and would like to see more...They'll never skimp on the new stuff in favor of vintage, but they'll invite more vintage participation if attendees ask for it.
Thanks,
OTB

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 12:33 PM

Sportbike: '05 R1. '00 yz250. '03ttr125 Lil pimp.
Years Riding: not long enough.
How you found us: friend

Send a message via MSN to r1srb
Look forward to checking those bikes out and meeting some of you guys.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 12:52 PM
Gullible Idiot

Sportbike: '75 Honda CB360T, '09 Suzuki Vstrom 650
Years Riding: Since Summer '07
How you found us: Friend

Hellz yeah! I heard that there is going to be a HUGE vintage presence and a local cafe racer exhibition at IMS. I plan to show up to Mods vs Rockers with my cafe'd CB360 if she is looking pretty enough ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

As of yesterday (Feb. 4) I have been told by the Prez of the Chicago Norton Club, who has a long time close working relationship with the IMS organizers, that the Chicago show is going to have the largest vintage display ever and that antique and vintage bikes are proving to be very popular with IMS attendees. They are looking to increase the vintage portion of the show in the future.
Even if you're not a hardcore vintage person, I am sure you'll enjoy the vintage displays. It's always fun to see where you've been!
Like I posted earlier, I'll be around most of the weekend, come on by to the vintage displays and look me up and say hello!

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 03:13 PM
The Violator

Sportbike: A little bit of everything.
Years Riding: Not nearly enough!
How you found us: On a ride in Colorado

That's cool! After going to this show a few times, I've always felt it could use something different. Vintage iron could be exactly what the doctor ordered
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 04:32 PM
Gullible Idiot

Haha I will probably be asking everyone standing there if they are "OTB from CLSB". I am very excited for the vintage portion of the show, maybe even moreso than the new bikes LOL
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 04:45 PM

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: some guy at the IBM credit union told me about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimeBiker View Post
As of yesterday (Feb. 4) I have been told by the Prez of the Chicago Norton Club, who has a long time close working relationship with the IMS organizers, that the Chicago show is going to have the largest vintage display ever and that antique and vintage bikes are proving to be very popular with IMS attendees. They are looking to increase the vintage portion of the show in the future.
Even if you're not a hardcore vintage person, I am sure you'll enjoy the vintage displays. It's always fun to see where you've been!
Like I posted earlier, I'll be around most of the weekend, come on by to the vintage displays and look me up and say hello!
should we walk around saying "hi, are you oldtimebiker?" - "hi, are you oldtimebiker?" - "hi, are you oldtimebiker?" - "hi, are you oldtimebiker?"

Always interesting when virtual world meets the real world.. oh.. well.. maybe not always

that said.. Sounds cool.. I will definitely be in there checking it out..

You'll probably recognize the kid.. as she has been plastered all over the board enough
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Just ask for Jim V....As stated in my first post, Friday I'm at the AMA Museum booth selling raffle tickets. For the rest of the weekend I'll be hanging out in the Chicago Norton owners booth where my 2 '67 Triumphs will be on display (they're NOT show bikes, they're original condition riders) or the Cafe' Racer magazine booth with the Ton Up club. Another name that most know me by is "Diamond" Jim. But, I'll tell everyone that if someone asks for OldTimeBiker to direct them to me. I'll be at the show for most of it except Saturday night after 5 and Sunday morning before noon.

OH BTW...One of the special features of the Chicago Norton owners booth will be T.C Christianson's triple engined drag bike, Hogslayer 2. T.C. will be there to meet & greet. Back in the '70's he was the man to beat in drag racing. The legend has it that he was Terry Vance's hero and he inspired Terry to persue drag racing.

Last edited by OldTimeBiker; 02-05-2009 at 05:58 PM.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 09:47 PM
Only TWO cams now...

Sportbike: 1978 Suzuki GS750C
Years Riding: Long time
How you found us: Google.com

Quote:
OH BTW...One of the special features of the Chicago Norton owners booth will be T.C Christianson's triple engined drag bike, Hogslayer 2. T.C. will be there to meet & greet. Back in the '70's he was the man to beat in drag racing. The legend has it that he was Terry Vance's hero and he inspired Terry to persue drag racing.
Oh he is an interesting fella. Met him last summer up at Great Lakes dragstip, he had his bike there. His triple Norton is featured in a book titled Legendary Motorcycles and seemed really flattered when I said I have that book and recognized the bike.

Will he be there Sunday?

"Fear only two: G-d, and him who fears not G-d."
-Judah Leib Lazerov

"Tov lamut be'ad artzaynu." (It is good to die for our country)
-Joseph Trumpeldor
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Pretty sure he's there all 3 days, although I'm sure he always be in the booth he is expected to have stuff there to autograph. If you come by and he's not there, check back.

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 11:06 AM
Gullible Idiot

Ugh I am so tempted to ride to IMS now that there is no rain on the forecast anymore for Saturday, though the 22mph winds are making me hesitant...
Granted this will be on the C50 not the CB360 haha!
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 11:20 AM
Sarcasm in every post.

Sportbike: '01 ZX-6R, '88 Katana 600
Years Riding: 20+yrs.
How you found us: Written on a YWB's ass. Next to "EMR was here"

Quote:
Originally Posted by krukster86 View Post
Ugh I am so tempted to ride to IMS now that there is no rain on the forecast anymore for Saturday, though the 22mph winds are making me hesitant...
Granted this will be on the C50 not the CB360 haha!

Another incentive is the free parking for riders. Think about it.

Ken.

My Garage.

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 11:33 AM
Gullible Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout67 View Post
Another incentive is the free parking for riders. Think about it.
Wut wut?!? Do tell me more please!
Last year I cagered with a group and we parked at the Cumberland station parking lot, paid for parking, and took a shuttle to the convention center.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 11:36 AM
Gullible Idiot

By that I mean is the free parking at the CTA station or at the convention center?
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Sarcasm in every post.

Sportbike: '01 ZX-6R, '88 Katana 600
Years Riding: 20+yrs.
How you found us: Written on a YWB's ass. Next to "EMR was here"

Quote:
Originally Posted by krukster86 View Post
By that I mean is the free parking at the CTA station or at the convention center?
Sorry, I can't put my finger on it now. I believe there is free parking at the convention center, for anyone who rides in.

Checkout the motorcycleshow.com website.

Ken.

My Garage.

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 06:29 PM
Gullible Idiot

I did not get to meet you (apparently you were out for a bit), but a gentleman from the Norton Owners Club pointed out which bikes were yours. I've only been to this show and last year's but I gotta say this one was way better. I think its because of the vintage exhibit and the nice riding weather!
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

^^^ Sorry I missed you, I'm sure we'll meet sometime. There's always bikenights at Portillo's or Mods vs. Rockers. The Norton club has a great show in August, plus other events and get togethers of bike peole that pop up. I notice in your profile you have a '75 CB 360... Have you ever heard of ChiVinMoto? It's an email group of vintage bike enthusiasts and your 360 fits right in. Check out www.chivinmoto.com and if it interests you, sign up for the group, lots going on and lots of support for vintage bike owners of all stripes!

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 03:36 AM
Highspeed ditch inspector

Sportbike: CB-360, RST Futura, 96/97/98/99 compilation of gixxers into one trackbike.
Years Riding: Since 2000
How you found us: Member

I tried to find you, but I couldn't remember if your name was John or Jim. Well I did get to see you for a moment while you were talking to somebody else. Meanwhile I had a great conversation with John ???, so that was cool. I will catch up with you sometime.

!!!!!!!(.)(.)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!). (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!( y )!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Garage
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 09:29 AM
SV650N

Sportbike: 2005 SV650SN
Years Riding: Since 1980
How you found us: craigslist

Great show! I got to meet Mike Seate and get a photo with him. I LOVE the cafe bikes they had on display.... I sure hope to see more of this activity and will be at Mods V Rockers as well.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 01:06 PM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

Rode the Bus with the Ton Up Lads and hung out at the Cafe Racer Mag Booth for a while - I like Brice's Thruxton A LOT !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg road1_xlarge.jpg (61.8 KB, 17 views)

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"

Last edited by Bug; 02-08-2009 at 01:09 PM.
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 10:45 PM

Sportbike: 1998 CR 250
Years Riding: Dirt: 1988 Street: 2001
How you found us: Original Gangsta

Send a message via AIM to MoTo178 Send a message via MSN to MoTo178 Send a message via Yahoo to MoTo178
Quote:
With the International Motorcycle Show a few weeks off I wanted to mention that there is a pretty large vintage presence at the show this year. The Chicago Norton Owners Club, which is open to all vintage motorcycle enthusiasts, will be having their annual display...My 2 '67 Triumphs will be in the CNOC display.
Also, Cafe' Racer magazine out of Ohio will be having a display in conjunction with the TonUp Club. The TUC will be promoting the 2009 Mods vs. Rockers show...(save Saturday June 20 for this event starting at noon at Diversey and Lincoln in Chicago). Also, in addition to several other vintage displays, like the Moto Guzzi Owners, the Americam Motorcycle Heritage Foundation museum will have a booth with a display and will be selling raffle tickets for a pair of Triumph Bonnevilles, a fully restored 1959 model and a 2009 50th Anniversary model. I'll be working the museum booth on Friday, and will be in and out of the CNOC and Cafe' Racer booth all day Saturday & Sunday, so mention to someone you're from CLSB.com and if I'm around you'll be directed my way.
AND...As you're leaving the show, they usually have a video display survey that takes only a minute to fill out...please let them know you liked the vintage bike displays and would like to see more...They'll never skimp on the new stuff in favor of vintage, but they'll invite more vintage participation if attendees ask for it.
Thanks,
OTB
Didn't see your post until after I had already attended, or i would have certainly tried to meet you. I did spent time at the vintage bike area. My uncle had a few bikes there. The red Atlas 750 (my favorite), the green Triumph TR6R, and the red 63 Harley Davidson sprint.

I didn't know you hung with the CNOC guys and ChiVinMoto.

Sean
NESBA ADVANCED #178

Property of Evil Monkey Racing
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 12:06 AM
Unregister User

Sportbike: 09 Buell 1125CR, 02 Yamaha Warrior
Years Riding: .
How you found us: Dumb luck!

Got up to the show Saturday night after work. Decent turnout, started quieting down around 7pm. Handful of new bikes I wanted to see. Did get to check out the Vintage bike area. Jim sorry I missed the post about you being up there. It was a nice display though.

Nesba #74 I
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

The '67 Blue and White Triumph 500 next to T.C.'s dragbike is mine and the "purple" (actually aubergine) & cream '67 Bonneville that was next to your Uncle's Atlas is mine. I've known your Uncle for a few years...met him with a bunch of ChiVinMoto guys at the Forest City Riders off road ride when he knocked himself off his Honda XR single on a tree and sprained his neck...good guy...I like him alot. Before I actually met him I had seen him around at some of the CNOC events...he has such a beautiful collection of bikes and it seems he always comes up with something new and surprises me! The Red '63 H-D Sprint he had in the AMA display is a prime example.
I look forward to meeting CLSB folks...I pop over to bike night at Portillo's sometimes...usually before Norton Owners meetings...I'll be at Mods vs. Rockers of course, and Ton Up will be doing Motorcycle Mondays again at the 5 Star on the first Monday of the month starting in May. We will also be doing the ride to Rockerbox (Milwaukee) that some CLSB members came on last year and enjoyed in August. I'll keep CLSB well informed as these come up. Every one of these events are open to anyone and all are welcome. Plus, I'm sure there will be others that come up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode