AMCA Davenport Show & Swap - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Antique, Classic & Vintage Bikes This forum is for discussion of really old stuff.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: Triumph Bonneville...the original sportbike!
Years Riding: Since about 11 years after my adult teeth came in
How you found us: I tripped over ya on my way to the can!

AMCA Davenport Show & Swap

OK CLSB Antique, classic and vintage bike afficianados...here's some info that's right up your alley...

If you're looking for something to check out that has antique and vintage motorcycles as the center and you don't have other plans for the Labor Day weekend, I highly recommend going to the Antique Motorcycle Club of America Fall meet in Davenport Iowa.
The show and swap meet are open to the public all weekend (free of charge) and on Friday night they have a full program of antique and vintage flat track races on the half mile (there is an admission fee for the races). They even have classes for pre World War 1 era board track bikes at the races.
The bikes on display and the contacts you can make regarding antique and vintage bikes here are second to none...This is the AMCA's biggest National meet.
The emphasis is on pre 1970 American and European bikes but you will still find a little bit of everything.
Friday is the best day and Saturday is good too...I head out on Thursday and get there early on Friday...take in as much as I can before the races and head back to the Mississippi Valley Fairgrounds on Saturday to try and complete the swap. About 1 or 2 PM I pull out and head for Springfield for the Short Track on Saturday night and the Mile on Sunday.
You've been advised...when it comes to Antique, classic and vintage bikes the Davenport meet ranks as one of the top 2 or 3 in the world!

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 09:55 PM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

Cool, literally in my Mom's backyard.

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 07:21 AM
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
My friend mentioned this to me the other day - looks like we'll be headed that way either this afternoon or tomorrow (and then off to the Threshers' Reunion).

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

A couple of days after I started this thread, I got a call from Brice Cooper, a 20 something fellow member of the Ton Up Club who is a pretty good road racer (2008 AHRMA Thruxton Cup Champion). He wanted to know if my flat track bike was still sitting in the corner of my garage and if I wanted to get it out and see if we could get it running for the Davenport vintage 1/2 mile on Friday, September 4. I had told him I'd let him ride it sometime and it seemed Davenport was as good a place as any.
I took the bike to his place...he has a nice private shop he shares with a car guy and we set about cleaning and prepping the Champion framed '74 Yamaha YZ 250A for the 1/2 mile.
We encountered several setbacks...leaving a bike sit for a few years takes its toll... and had to scramble for some hard to come by parts...I must admit, I gave up more than once thinking it would be impossible to get it going for Davenport, but my young friend, who was determined to ride my bike, was tenacious and refused to give up. To make a long story short, the bike was loaded on the trailer with work and a part needed and unfired...The needed part was found at the swap meet early Friday morning and we set about buttoning up.
Just a couple of hours before practice we discovered the brand new aftermarket electronic ignition was not giving us spark and Brice whipped out his cell phone and called tech support...in about an hour and after 3 calls and running around borrowing battery powered tools to effect a modification and setting the air gap between the rotor and the stator with a match book cover...we had a strong running vintage flat track framer that took third and a direct transfer to the main in the 250/350 brake class ( early vintage flat track bike have no brakes like speedway bikes...from the early '70s flat trackers have had rear brakes. Vintage organizations do not run brake and brakeless bikes in the same class...BTW...Brakes are for pussies!!!)). In the main Brice got a good start, but the vintage Hurst/Airhart brake set up that is older than Brice was not up to the task and Brice had to run brakeless in a brake class...he faded to seventh, but we all had a blast and felt that just getting the bike running and qualified was a real accomplishment. I am proud of the tune I put into the bike. It ran great, it finished strong in spite of the brake problem and part one of the resurrection of my old Santa Fe short tracker was successful!
I went to Springfield with a good story to tell my old racing buddies...
Next race...The AHRMA Short Track National at Peoria Speedway this Friday.
Brice can now call himself a real MOTORCYCLE RACER because he's finally strapped on a steel shoe!

KBO...Where is that Threshers reunion? Is it in Pontiac IL?

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!

Last edited by OldTimeBiker; 09-07-2009 at 02:12 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 09:46 PM
Unregister User

Sportbike: 09 Buell 1125CR, 02 Yamaha Warrior
Years Riding: .
How you found us: Dumb luck!

Pics?

Nesba #74 I
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

^^^ One of our other Ton Up members took several pictures and as soon as I get him to email some to me,I'll see if I can post some.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 08:00 PM
Evil Moderatrix

Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!

Pics... we made it there on Sunday. Thresher's Reunion is in Mount Pleasant, IA. I got pics too.

Viv - my friend is huge into vintage Euro iron... I should probably put the two of you together!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1836.jpg (83.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1837.jpg (77.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1852.jpg (62.8 KB, 3 views)

Kim
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

^^^ That bike in your new avatar doesn't look like "A Big Blue One " to me...New ride?

Have your friend check out some of the Ton Up or CNOC events...Got a show on Oct. 3.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 09:30 PM
Evil Moderatrix

10/3, eh? I will definitely suggest a weekend "in town"

The Big Blue Bike gave me a REAL hard look when I pulled into the garage on the GT the other night... she's not mine, but I get to play on her every now and again... would love to have my Very Own Sexy Italian some day.

Kim
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 10:10 PM
Evil Moderatrix

Here are pics from the Davenport show...

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&l=5114871574

Kim
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 10:18 PM
Evil Moderatrix

And here are pics from the Thresher's Reunion!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&l=c039802f08

Kim
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode