Farming out Work: Fuel Tank and Cylinder Work - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Antique, Classic & Vintage Bikes This forum is for discussion of really old stuff.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Gullible Idiot

Sportbike: '75 Honda CB360T, '09 Suzuki Vstrom 650
Years Riding: Since Summer '07
How you found us: Friend

Farming out Work: Fuel Tank and Cylinder Work

Alright, so pieces of my "project" are getting a little over my head so I am looking to farm out some work.

1. Fuel Tank
I picked up a spare fuel tank that has seen better days as part of the parts bike purchase. I stripped the paint to the bare metal and I cleaned out and relined the inside of the tank with POR-15. I over a few weeks I tried my best to Bondo the emblem mounts out and smooth out some of the dings the tank acquired over its life. I guess it turned out ok, but you can really feel some spots that are a bit off. I am looking for someone to even this out and hopefully repaint (fuel resistant) the tank a solid color to match the side covers and seat (Duplicolor Bright Red).

2. Cylinders
I considered doing this myself, but I want someone experienced to handle this for me. I have a set of standard pistons and cylinders that I want checked to see if they are still to spec and hone them. If not, I would like to get them bored out to the next size.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 02:19 PM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk
How you found us: Google

Might have been better to have the emblem holes filled with a welder than bondo. I would grind all that crap off and have someone weld the holes closed. Then use a grinder to make it flat, them a skim of body filler should do the trick.

Gus can do machine work. Someone closer is that fella in Melrose Park. I forgot his name on here.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 03:01 PM

Sportbike: Honda Interceptor
Years Riding: including today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krukster86 View Post
Alright, so pieces of my "project" are getting a little over my head so I am looking to farm out some work.

1. Fuel Tank
I picked up a spare fuel tank that has seen better days as part of the parts bike purchase. I stripped the paint to the bare metal and I cleaned out and relined the inside of the tank with POR-15. I over a few weeks I tried my best to Bondo the emblem mounts out and smooth out some of the dings the tank acquired over its life. I guess it turned out ok, but you can really feel some spots that are a bit off. I am looking for someone to even this out and hopefully repaint (fuel resistant) the tank a solid color to match the side covers and seat (Duplicolor Bright Red).

2. Cylinders
I considered doing this myself, but I want someone experienced to handle this for me. I have a set of standard pistons and cylinders that I want checked to see if they are still to spec and hone them. If not, I would like to get them bored out to the next size.
I can measure your pistons and cylinders. We can also hone them. What is the diameter. I can bore cylinders as small as 2.250.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 10:55 PM

Sportbike: nice variety
Years Riding: 13
How you found us: member

I powder coat tanks regularly, then usually wet sand and buff them so they are perfect.

What we usually do here before coating fenders,etc is do the body work with JB weld. Bondo won't take the heat, so that can't be used.

Give me a call if you want to discuss, I'd be glad to look at the tank and tell you what I can do with it. 847-561-4361

www.thepowderpro.com

Custom Powder Coating, custom bike builds, one-off machining work, custom LED kits..you want it, we can make it happen
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 11:58 PM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk
How you found us: Google

That fella in Stone Park that I could not remember his name was ceptor. I had the pleasure of meeting him and seeing his shop. Super nice guy, very knowledgeable, another great source for having machine work done.

SilverGhost I was going to p-coat a tank on another project. Good idea using JB weld. It is possible the project I am working on now may get a p-coated tank. I'll let you know if one of the tanks are in good enough condition to do this with.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 11:51 PM

There are a few metal filler products on the market that are aimed towards powder coaters also. I haven't worked with any of them, so far we've just filled small stuff with good old two part JB weld and sanded it out. I used to like Quick Steel alot..500 degree metal filler putty, but they changed something in it and now it sucks IMO.

www.thepowderpro.com

Custom Powder Coating, custom bike builds, one-off machining work, custom LED kits..you want it, we can make it happen
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 11:01 PM
rider for life

Sportbike: CBR1100XX
Years Riding: First let the clutch out in 1972
How you found us: no- you found me

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
I powder coat tanks regularly, then usually wet sand and buff them so they are perfect.
I didn't realize powdercoating could be wet sanded and buffed like paint- this is the first I've heard of that. I assume it levels out the texture and orange peel of a typical powdercoat job to be worth the extra time and effort- would you mind posting up a pic of a buffed out powdercoated part? I'm real curious to see results of this technique.

Will contact you for a quote on a Honda vintage frame I need done for a winter project.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 12:35 AM

Yup, do it all the time on large flat parts where its hard to get the powder to flow perfectly smooth, such as a tank. Process is a bit different than paint since powder is a much harder surface, but it can be done. I never uploaded the pic of the last tank I coated and buffed, but I've got some pics of other parts that were wet sanded and buffed. Here ya go..

Harley wheel

This isn't metal, but I can coat certain non metal items, such as 'vette fuel rail covers. To create this electron blue color match and do the letters in white, I had to basically put clear over tinted clear..caused orange peel, so sanded and buffed

Keep in mind this is not real common to have to do. Most parts are not real open and flat and with proper technique, results should be just fine without having to buff. Its pretty rare I have to do it really..motorcycle tanks and fenders are about the only thing I know going in everytime I'll be busting out the paper and buffs to get them perfect.

Some examples of my work without any buffing, which is 90% of it

www.thepowderpro.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode