Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

things to look for,buying: 2000 zx-12

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Pilotx1 
#1 ·
Im not terribly well informed with issues concerning this model. but Ill be going to look at and likely purchase one in the very near future(by this weekend).

before the flame cannons get loaded and aimed squarely at my head... its not for me, im acting as a proxy buyer for it only. the guy im buying for is looking to replace his after an unlicensed 15y.o. rearended him while stopped at a stoplight. turned the subframe, with tail and seat into a catapult and launched him into a honda pilot infront of him. he bounced off the tire, went thru the rear glass and hit the back seat and bounced back out onto the street... he got away with some soreness, bruising adn some scrapes, gear FTMFW here. Ill put the pics link in when I get home

what shoudl I be on the lookout for with this vintage of zx-12. problem areas, commonly abused/neglected areas that would be specific to this bike. I should be able to spot most things but somethign specific would help a lot

Thanks

#2 ·
Be very careful. They have oil problems, if someone turns the idle down they will not oil the crank bearing correctly. The clutch is also problematic. If the bike has miles make sure the cam chain tensioner and possibly the cam chain are replaced. Does they guy do his own work? The bike is a little bit of a pain in the ass to work on, Plugs are tough to get to, difficult to to valve adjustments.

I loved mine when it was stock, but it was very expensive to modify. I love the 12R look but without prejudice the Hayabusa is a better motorcycle.

#7 ·
Be very careful. They have oil problems, if someone turns the idle down they will not oil the crank bearing correctly.
I love my oldschool zx10. no problems so far.

so the oil issue is only at idle? I read this was an issue with the 90s engine blocks. And I've seen an oil relocation kits that diverted oil to the number 3 bearing.

Ninjas FTW

#3 ·
the one I am going to look at is supposedly bone stock...

18k on the clock

whats the normal idle speed?

what sort of clutch problems, my friends dead one had a muzzy's clutch installed when he bought it

I dont know anythign about the current owner and his maint. habits

#5 ·
Clutches are weak for the size of the motor, plus if they are drag raced you need a billet basket. The hot setup I had when I drag raced mine was Falicon Basket, 1/2 Stock 1/2 ZX6R Springs and stock Clutch components.

I think manual calls the idle at around 900 being stock the problem won't be that bad, but with an aftermarket exhaust they tend to have an idle surge which sounds like it has a big cam in it. Then you need to have idle cranked up to around 1050 or 1100 RPM.

I can be contracted to inspect bikes:laughing:

#10 ·
this zx-12 wasnt the belle it was supposed to be... it had a run in with a falling large overhead door, as well as a visit on the pavement as evidenced by the jb welded stator cover

all in all i got hosed out of a good ride :(

#12 ·
its a whole running bike, the seller has 2 kids adn a thrid on the way hence the reason for selling.

hes asking 5k for it id wager you could get it for less.

If youre interested and want details PM me. Ive got the sellers cell number.
I use the pics as reminders about thing I saw/noticed about the bike so theres a lot i can tell you about it more then what i posted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.