music related...bwoke acoustic :( - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Bug's Bangin Beats For all music discussion. Note: no trading music allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
1 piece at a time

Sportbike: Ninja ZX-6'DinoSaki'
Years Riding: Since I joined!
How you found us: teh intarwebz

Send a message via AIM to hexraptor Send a message via MSN to hexraptor Send a message via Yahoo to hexraptor
music related...bwoke acoustic :(

well some dumba** put my nice acoustic behind a couch...with a recliner!

didn't know it was back that till I sit down and pop the recliner back and hear a crack

think it's even possible to fix this?? even if it is fixe-able, doubt the sound quality would be as good as it was..

uploading pics now...facing the guitar, crack running 8" vertically if guitar is stood up, halfway between strings and edge maybe. crack goes all the way through the front wood.

sucks because it wasn't crap, not hugely expensive but still cost $400

- Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
1 piece at a time

Send a message via AIM to hexraptor Send a message via MSN to hexraptor Send a message via Yahoo to hexraptor
well..i can't really tell a difference if i get my fingers in and push up (hah hah)..except that it's slightly lower in tune since the body isn't as strong (strings compressing body more maybe)

here's some pics of the damage..
IMG_4274small.jpg

- Steve
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 06:31 PM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

Willie Nelson has played the same guitar for over 50 years and has worn a rather large whole in it - I think you will be okay - I don't know for a fact but my guess would be you're fine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2-willie-nelson.jpg (59.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 1046936-md.jpg (46.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg nelson_wideweb__430x370.jpg (28.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg willie_nelson_curcio_02.jpg (72.5 KB, 15 views)

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
1 piece at a time

damn...that's crazy!

- Steve
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 09:25 PM

Sportbike: SV 650, FZR 400, RM 125
Years Riding: Since 1990
How you found us: Nesba!

It is possible to repair it. You could try to glue it and support from the inside while it's drying. You can also brace behind it and glue it. The face of the guitar is what resonates and gives the guitar it's main tonal feel. It's possible that you won't hear the difference, but the only way to know is to fix it. Being with grain might be better then cross grain, but it's such a long crack. The best acoustic repair I've seen is from Minstrel Music in Niles. I don't know honestly. There are other magic ways of fixing cracks like this with glue, large metal plates and strong magnets as well. It would depend on what it would cost to fix and how much you like it as to whether it is worth it. I would try to fix it for you, but only as the last resort before pitching it.

I do know how you feel. I have a guitar that I built myself. It's a sweet blue sunburst telecaster repica with all chrome hardware and twin humbuckers. I've got a thinline tele neck on it with over sized strings. Though I do want to change the pickups. I had it out a few weeks ago. Set it down next to me to stand up so I could move it and head to the other room. Someone sits down, hits the recliner and foot support swings out and launched it across the room. Not very happy! It got a small chip in the finish. But of course on the face. Why can't these damages ever happen on the back.

Greg K.
STT Staff Member
CCS Expert #12
MSF Instructor

VinylSaurusRex.com - Cyclepath Racing - Safety First Racing - SMR Components - Apexjunkie.com - Yamaha Champions Riding School
"If you're headed toward trees, I'm guessing your on the wrong line." - S. Russell
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
1 piece at a time

wonder how I can get something in there to push against it?..

I don't really think i'll have someone fix it, no money for that right now. What type of glue do you think i should use?...wood glue? maybe some sort of epoxy would hold up better?

taking the strings off right now to relieve all the pressure on that crack though...you can tell they're helping(well..hurting if anything ) pull the piece down as when i pushed it up it was an audible rise in pitch from the strings tightening up.

- Steve
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 02:49 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Google

Well, a luthier would repair this with really long C clamps and some teflon strips and your basic resin based wood glue.

The C clamps with a deep throat so they can reach inside the sound hole and reach the crack.

The teflon (or derlin or some other glue resistant) strips are so the clamp(s) can press against the glue/wood without bonding to the glue.

And wood glue is used because wood glue is typically water based and will evaporate leaving the resin behind. You don't want a heavy glue that will deaden the resonance of the guitar.

Willie Nelson said that when the hole in his guitar (the guitar he named Trigger after Roy Rodgers horse I believe) gets bad enough to make the guitar unplayable, he will retire.

That said, his guitar is all sorts of character and tone that comes with age and the wood drying out. Some say that the wood "learns" to vibrate through use...take that or leave it if you please.

So yeah, it's repairable, but will never look perfect. Will it sound any different? Probably, but not terribly much. I think changing strings for fresh ones would effect the sound more.

So I'd glue the crack just so it doesn't get larger with age and not worry about it.

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
1 piece at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
Well, a luthier would repair this with really long C clamps and some teflon strips and your basic resin based wood glue.

The C clamps with a deep throat so they can reach inside the sound hole and reach the crack.

The teflon (or derlin or some other glue resistant) strips are so the clamp(s) can press against the glue/wood without bonding to the glue.

And wood glue is used because wood glue is typically water based and will evaporate leaving the resin behind. You don't want a heavy glue that will deaden the resonance of the guitar.

Willie Nelson said that when the hole in his guitar (the guitar he named Trigger after Roy Rodgers horse I believe) gets bad enough to make the guitar unplayable, he will retire.

That said, his guitar is all sorts of character and tone that comes with age and the wood drying out. Some say that the wood "learns" to vibrate through use...take that or leave it if you please.

So yeah, it's repairable, but will never look perfect. Will it sound any different? Probably, but not terribly much. I think changing strings for fresh ones would effect the sound more.

So I'd glue the crack just so it doesn't get larger with age and not worry about it.
awesome, thanks for the help!! rep to you good sir

- Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode