Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

TerraPass

990 views 34 replies 13 participants last post by  Milenko 
#1 ·
Does anyone have TerraPass?

I want more info. Thinking of getting on this wagon.

#13 ·
The site does not let you put in alternative modes of transportation or fun like motorcycles or boats.

As far as tax deductability, their website says that businesses can but individuals cannot. There are some other carbon offset companies that claim that they are classified as charitable organizations and you can claim the deduction.

Greg

#20 ·
We should ask them to add motorcycles. Although I know the EPA standards of emissions are slightly different for all classes of transportation (bus, freight truck, auto, motorcycle)... I wonder if there is a huge difference in the calculation that it would make that much of a difference.

I dont know the EPA standards for motorcycles vs. cars in the US. Do you?

#22 ·
if anything, the bikes are probably a bit dirtier since the performance nature of the engine, especially if fitted with aftermarket exhausts that remove the catalyst.

however, since the engine displacement is so much smaller, maybe the output is the same or equal of bad stuff compared to most cars.

they def use less fuel than the average car, and are getting close to the mileage of most hybrids

#25 ·
On top of that look at total footprint. It takes a LOT less in the industrial sector to produce a motorcycle even compared to a very small automobile.

So even if they were tailpipe polluting at a higher rate their total effect to the environment is much smaller overall.

#32 ·
Motorcycles?

I would think a large portion.

Steel/aluminum frames, engine parts, handle bars, wheels etc
copper wiring
precious metals used for the circuit boards in the ECU's

There's not a whole lot left. depends on what the fairings are made of?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.