Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Californians ban Gay marriage

19K views 293 replies 49 participants last post by  Bug 
#1 · (Edited)
I thought this was very interesting, For all of the Obamatons.

What happened in California? it looks like THE People Voted against Gay Marriage How could that be? California is one of the most liberal states and most Pro Obama in the country, All of those democrats that are such great supporters of Barack Obama and his vision of unity in this country, Tolerance, love for one another how could this happen? I guess this is the NEW ERA, Gays cant get married. So much for Unity,love,tolerance and diversity. I bet the gay and lesbian population out there never thought they would get ass fucked by their own liberal friends out there. It looks like they are pretty pissed off.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,447744,00.html

http://slog.thestranger.com/2008/11/black_homophobia

#2 ·
despite the vote - law suits have already been filed against this.. etc etc etc
WTF good is a vote whenit will be tied up in courts, costing 10's of millions, only to be voted upon again in the next election

chop the state off and let it float away

#3 ·
I thought marriage was part of the institution known as a "church" and the "church" follows a guideline book called the "bible" which states we should hate homos. If you are hated by a church, why would you want to use their form of unity? Probably for tax and legal reasons.

#5 ·
fair enough, but we have freedom of religion, meaning we are free to express what ever religious rights we choose providing it does not harm our fellow americans. I fail to see where two people who love each other should not be allowed to announce there love in much the same way I did to my wife. As such, they should be given the same rights and tax breaks that I am given. I have no problem with gay marriage, and I think it's near sighted and prejudice of the people that do.

#16 ·

What happened in California? it looks like THE People Voted against Gay Marriage How could that be? California is one of the most liberal states and most Pro Obama in the country, All of those democrats that are such great supporters of Barack Obama and his vision of unity in this country, Tolerance, love for one another how could this happen? I guess this is the NEW ERA, Gays cant get married. So much for Unity,love,tolerance and diversity. I bet the gay and lesbian population out there never thought they would get ass fucked by their own liberal friends out there. It looks like they are pretty pissed off.

Does carrying that chip around on your shoulder ever get heavy?

#18 ·
Never, im so used to carrying all of that 300Lbs of " White guilt"

actuall with this one i find it funny, all of the gay and lesbians out there probably thought they had it in the bag with all of their support for Obama, they might have thought the minority community - african american community might have backed them up on this one and they got ASS Fucked - no pun intended. Pretty funny shit as far as im concerned. Ya just never know who will stick a knife in your back. It just proves to me that people are full of shit especially with this Obama rhetoric of unity and shit, they are all full of shit. Its a fuckin farce and with that kind of unity demonstated out in california, if Obamas counting on americans to unite, good luck. Obama will never get anything done its real sad.

#19 · (Edited)
The no on 8 folks messed it up. Again.

There are actually two kinds of Marriage - Religious Marriage and Civil Marriage. This is a point that pro same-sex marriage campaigns always fail to articulate.

Religious Marriage is controlled by the Church (actually any religion). And no one was trying to mess with that. That is covered by the 1st Amendment in the US Constitution. Religious marriage carries no state recognition, no state rights, responsibilities, or privileges. It is a commitment a couple makes before God and man.

Civil Marriage is the state's recognition of that religious marriage. This is the process of acquiring a marriage license and having it executed as proscribed under law. The state's recognition of marriage gives couples rights under law in many areas, including property, death, taxes, inheritance, and benefits in many other areas. In addition, there are literally thousands of state and federal laws that reference "marriage" and not "civil unions", not to mention things like insurance policies and other generally common (and generally non-negotiable for an individual [- think about your cell phone and credit card contracts]) private contracts which contain standard wording regarding "marriage".

In addition to state Civil Marriage (marriage license properly executed), California has Civil Unions under law for same-sex and opposite-sex couples. However the state's grant of recognition and the rights and privileges that come with Civil Unions are unequal to those granted couples who have an executed marriage license (civil marriage).

It is the unequal recognition of those rights between state recognition of "marriage" and its recognition of "civil unions" that was the subject of the California Supreme Court ruling. The court said that under other provisions of the California Constitution, you can not discriminate against same-sex couples in granting rights and privileges when compared to opposite-sex couples.

Prop 8 sought to legalize this discrimination in the states' treatment of it's citizens. It had absolutely nothing to do with and would not have affected what any church, synagogue, mosque, or any other religious institution did in regards to religious marriage.

Because people have a hard time seeing the distinction between religious marriage and it's civil counterpart, many interpreted this court decision as an attack on their religious beliefs. And they reacted as expected.

The court challenges filed yesterday challenge the constitutionality of passing an amendment to the California Constitution that is at odds with another section of the same document, without also modifying that other section, which concerns guaranteeing equal rights for all California citizens.

----------

Personally, I think that the entire government at all levels should not recognize religious marriages. Rather, any couple should have to register a civil union with the government to get state recognition of their relationship and commitment to support each other. This state recognition should not be tied to religious marriage. The state should have no interest in, nor should it recognize, religious marriage. I believe that all the laws that recognize religious marriage are in violation of the separation of church and state.

This battle will rage on for many more years. In the end, a greater understanding of equality will prevail.

#20 ·

Sometimes stereotypes don't end up being true. Odd thing that.

#36 ·
I dont hate the guy, i dont like some of his voting record as far as late term abortions. thats what this turned into and Obama has alot to do with this issue.

The only real issues i have with him are

1. Redistribution of wealth
2. supports late term abortion
3. no real record on major voting decisions - voting present or not standing up to anyone. Ya know the sayin " if you dont stand for something, youll fall for anything.

those are the only issues i have so far. Pretty short list.

#40 ·
I dont care who gets married, thats a religious thing. If two dudes want to ass hammer themselfs and say they are married more power too them. actually having gays as neighbors is good for property values, they take care of their shit pretty well.

#52 · (Edited)
Many gay couples do have children! Maybe not biologically from both individuals involved but neither do many straight married couples! That doesn't limit the benefits ones children or partners receives if you are a step parent or a foster parent as long as you are straight! Those are families-Aren't they? So what is different if you are gay and adopt or one of the individuals biologically births a child! You "SHOULD" be considered a parent/spouse! Limiting that fundamental right is an exercise of prejudice. It in essence limits the ability for gay couples with families to sustain themselves in future generations! There are pensions and benefits left on the table because gay couples aren't given the same equal benefits as straight couples! That's the real issue! What happens to a family (meaning 2 adults of the same sex with 3 kids) if one of the adults die (let's say the bread winner-who earns $125,000 a year)? The family is at a loss! There is only so much legal protection the law allows. The rest of the surviving family if fawked!!! And guess what they aren't entitled to get anything that a straight family would be entitled to! How is that equal and just? If that's the case they should ban marriages for interracial couples, fat and skinny couples so on and so on. It's ridiculous!

#57 ·
Many gay couples do have children! Maybe not biologically from both individuals involved but neither do many straight married couples! That doesn't limit the benefits ones children or partners receives if you are a step parent or a foster parent as long as you are straight! Those are families-Aren't they? So what is different if you are gay and adopt or one of the individuals biologically births a child! You "SHOULD" be considered a parent/spouse! Limiting that fundamental right is an exercise of prejudice. It in essence limits the ability for gay couples with families to sustain themselves in future generations! There are pensions and benefits left on the table because gay couples aren't given equal benefits as straight couples! That's the real issue! What happens to a family (meaning 2 adults of the same sex with 3 kids) if one of the adults die (let's say the bread winner-who earns $125,000 a year)? The family is at a loss! There is only so much legal protection the law allows. The rest of the surviving family if fawked!!! And guess what they aren't entitled to get anything that a straight family would be entitled to! How is that equal and just? If that's the case they should ban marriages for interracial couples, fat and skinny couples so on and so on. It's ridiculous!

You can't assume that everyone thinks that a gay couple facilitates a proper "family structure" for raising a child...and that's fair. Civil Unions offer everything marriage does legally in as far as protecting property and keeping the "family unit" legally protected.. I think the bottom line for many people is to protect the sanctity of "Marriage", which is in fact rooted in religion.

#54 ·
Don't you find it interesting that the people who push for this kind of stupid legislation are also the same ones looking for blowjobs in airport bathrooms?

#64 ·
If you want gay people to stop having sex, then let them get married. Then they can be like every other married couple who's not gettin' any any more.

#70 ·
My one question about gay marriage is why do so many non-gay folks care about it? Let's pretend for just one single moment that being gay and having a gay marriage are sin. Ok, you will burn in hell for eternity. And? The way I see it is that even if it's true, then it's your problem and not mine. The religious folks are free to go out there and spread the word declaring that it's evil and whatever else...but what on earth does it have to do with being law? That's the part that's always puzzled me. It's not that I support gay marriage, I simply could care less because it has zero effect on me. Sure there's a couple dudes out there thinking they can save a bit on taxes if they get married, but let's be real...the amount of tax money there is so minuscule that it's pretty much no impact on anyone.

Reactions: bwa
#100 ·
Vern? We need your input. I don't understand how people who are neither gay nor black can speak about how black people feel on the matter.

Reactions: Joe
#101 · (Edited)
Its called real life experiences, and factual data from eh - proposition 8 voting results. you might want to try and read whats being discussed.

Incase you didnt read her comments shes black and is the person who made the initial statement about blacks being homophobic, i dont know about you but i think thats pretty good info, but info i already knew

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.