Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Picture Thread - Gun Safes

4K views 34 replies 14 participants last post by  Odysseys 
#1 ·
Post up pictures of your gun safes.

I want to get some ideas. I need one.

#3 · (Edited)
Sorry not going to post a pic of ours.

But I will share my feelings on the Sargent-Greenleaf electronic keypad. I'd suggest you go with the manual (tumbler) locking mechanism. Our electronic keypad is giving me problems. The rep says, the keypad is no-longer recognizing all the #'s we are entering. He suggested using a combination that does not include repeat #'s. It's $150 for a new keypad, which gives you a 3 yr warrenty. He also suggested replacing the keypad every 3 yrs to remain in warrenty. WTF.

Just google gunsafe and search through the sites. Specs, and pics are easily available.

Another thing is how large are you considering? Humidity control, is a good idea for large safes. I built my own pedistal, so it could house a power strip, to power the humidifier.

I hope I didn't jinx myself about the keypad, comments. If anyone has any suggestions on the keypad issue, please share.

#5 ·
I have a regular floor bolted firesafe i keep my sig in (and all my other valueable stuff. Most important thing about getting a safe is proper installation, make sure it is SECURELY bolted to the wall and or floor. Mine isn't going anywhere even though it is small. If you're still shopping around for a safe checkout outdoor world, they have a very large collection you can check out.

#7 ·
Agreed. You'll fill it with all sorts of stuff.

Are these generally fire and waterproof? If so you could probably easily fill up 1 cubic ft of space with documents, especially if you own a house, car, bike, will/trust, life insurance policy, birth certificates, SS cards, passports, etc. Also, Staples/Office Depot sell legal document sized zip lock bags so that if you do get water in the safe those items will still be dry.

#8 ·
all safes are fire rated-check the manufacturer specs

waterproof - no

GatGuns has an annual safe sale. A few manufacturers reps come in and usually have a bunch of safes that are dinged or dented. almost unnototicable but you can save some bucks. Make them an offer

Other than that almost all outdoor stores always have a sfae on sale
BPS, Gander Mtn, Cabelas, Dicks, etc etc

Most offer some sort of delivery too with a 3rd party trucker = although its not cheap

#9 ·
I've been working through this too. I'm currently using a simple $100 steel gun cabinet that is maxed out. I almost pulled the trigger last winter on a 33 gun safe. Like Mike said, it is much larger than my current needs, but financially wasn't much more $ and I figured cameras and stuff could also go into it. The 2 reasons I didn't do it at the time were; I wasn't sure about the electronic lock, and I had no clue how to get it down into the basement. They firm selling it only had curbside delivery. After reading Ken's comments on his lock, I'm glad I hesitated.

BTW, Dick's had a great post holiday sale last year. If you can wait post X-mass there may be many overstock deals.

#11 · (Edited)
No one else is confirming or denying any problems with their electronic keypads. Hmmm. Makes me wonder if I just got a sub-standard pad.

Anyone else have any issues with their keypads? Sargent-Greenleaf is a pretty widly used keypad.

+1 to 2weelpilot's size suggestion.

#12 ·
#13 ·
I went through this process last year and purchased one at Mega. I wont post any pics but I went with a lockable dial tumbler. They advised against the electronic keypads as they have had many complaints.

Mega handled the delivery which if you have stairs is a substantial concern. They have a very nifty hydrolic hand dolly that was able to walk the stairs very well.

All that weight of a safe and two large fellas muscling it up/down stairs might be just be enough to cave in a staircase.

#29 ·
http://cannonsafecom.nxg.superpageshosting.com/trurack.nxg

Why is Barrel Down Storage Important?

First, storing some riles barrel down allows more rifles to fit. The reason is simple - the stocks take up lots of space. By storing some barrel down (stock up) the available floor space is increased. Secondly, Gunsmiths agree that storing wood stocked firearms barrel down is critical in preventing excess oils and unwanted condensation from damaging the wood stock. Storing barrel down allows excess oil and condensation build-up to drain out, away from the precious wood.

#30 ·
both condensation and oil wont be a problem if you properly maintain your firearm with proper lubricant and also a golden rod/dehumidifier to pull out humidity. "going back and forth like that and putting barrel down is dumb"

fitting more in, i agree but at the point of storing firearms in keeping them damage free? i would assume based on most types of holders that this practice might lead to damaging another firearm with unstable placement falling over hitting one another, etc.

if storage is a concern and if you real want to shove in there as much as you can? remove the holders, buy gun socks for each unit and put them all in there at least they wont be scratching one another, wont fall onto another rifle and you can double your storage! most of all have a dehumidifier in there as the gun socks will surely hold moisture.

problem solved for the red neck firearm safe.

for those that can afford?...buy another safe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.