Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Who's been to New Orleans?

396 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Power House 
#1 ·
I've been down there about 5 or 10 ten times maybe. Not sure exactly, usually I'm just passing through on a week day or week day night but I have spent a few nights walking up and down Bourbon and exploring a little here and there. Cool town, good music, excellend food. There is always good live music playing and good food. Talk to me about things to see and do, places to see and go around the area. I'm thinking about taking a nice 4 day weekend down there to really soak in the environment since the weather is getting cold. I love blues, rock n roll, strip clubs and cajun food. Talk to me. :cheers

#2 ·
Been there? I grew up there- I was trying to make it back for Halloween this year but couldn't swing it. BTW- DEFINITELY go there for Halloween some year- it's fucking awesome.

Nearly everything is within walking- er, staggering- distance. Just outside of the French Quarter is the D-Day museum (http://www.ddaymuseum.org/), which I have to visit every time I go back. It's been updated with the Pacific Theater of Operations wing, and the weapons display case is always a cool part to see. Right next to it is the Confederate History Museum- a lot of original Civil War stuff, but all the guys who work there are really into the history, so they can tell you everything about particular battles or sequences of events.

If you've got an entire day to kill, then I HIGHLY recommend the Audubon Zoo. It's a streetcar ride and a ten-minute walk from the Quarter. It'll definitely take you all day, but they've got a wide variety of animals from all continents. The Aquarium of the Americas (also in the Quarter) is worth seeing too.

For food, beignets at Cafe Du Monde are mandatory. Plus, they make that good, strong wake-me-the-fuck-up-'cause-I've-been-drinking-for-ten-straight-hours coffee. Cosimo's is another good place for food. Central Grocery's Muffuleta's are also on the must-have list. Also, be sure to check out Southern Candymakers for pralines and other glucosenated goodness.

If you want to search for certain types of restaurants, check out http://www.nolaeats.com/forum/directory.php

For bars, I've always been a fan of Flanagan's pub on 626 St. Philip. Good people, huge TV's, good music, and cheap drinks. Bourbon was never really my scene, but stop by Pat O'Brien's for a hurricane. Those things will fuck you up but good. Also on the mandatory spots- Molly's at the Market for their frozen Irish coffee.

The film industry is booming down there right now, so you never know who you'll run into.

#3 ·
If you like Italian, there's a restaurant called Bacco's in the Quarter that is nothing short of phenomenal

If you want to get away form the Quarter tourist trap, Magazine Street is where local hang out. There are some good bars w/ live music there....the names escape me at the moment.

#7 ·
When i was there, i just remembered liking a place called Mugsy's. it's a Caujin place, cool environment, and lots of live music...i think it was south of the quarter, just off that big open Square to the west, if anyone knows where i'm talking about, elaborate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.