A VIsit With Ashwin's Family - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Our Fallen Friends. This is not a forum I ever wanted to create, but I feel it is something I need to do for all of us. It's one I honestly hope and pray never see's any new theads. Be safe and remember our friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 03:54 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2006 YZF600R
Years Riding: 20
How you found us: Member (Ashwin)

A VIsit With Ashwin's Family

I wanted to post this in the Fallen Friends section, but I guess I'm too new. I also seem to be too new to post the links for the pics or our other forum. I'll add them when I have the proper post count... Admins, if you would please move it to the proper section. Thanks.

***This is being shared with both yzf600r.com and chicagolandsportbikes.com***

I have to admit that my mind and thoughts are very jumbled right now, so I knwo that this will be a bit of a rambling.

Yesterday morning I had the luxury of spending time with Ashwin's family. We had a long conversation that ran the full spectrum of emotions.

Ashwin's parents are wonderful people and I look forward to geting to know them better. I will have the opportunity as they have invited me to return for different reasons and occasions. I am grateful for the invitation and will certainly return.

I want to share some things with all of you and i intend to share more as things progress. I also want to make myself available to questions any of yo may have, and I will always do my best to answer them.

First of all, a great deal of our conversation revolved around what happened. I did my best to describe everything in detail, and even used Rohini's (Ashwin's cousin) Mac to pull up arial maps of the turn, upload pictures and videos to present and give to them. They were very grateful. I will be sharing those pics and vids with all of you in time, but at the end of this post, I will be presenting some pics that many of you may wish to see, while others may not. I have recieved the blessing of Ashwin's parents to do so. Their hope is that they will help others in some way.

Ashwin's family has asked that I assist them with the dissemination of Ashwin's belongings from his garage, stating that I knew what he has in there better than anyone else. Although I'm not convinced that is accurate, I know that I'm very familiar with what is there. Therefore, I promised them that I would help. My goal is to make things available for sale to members of both forums so that Ashwin's family could recoup the costs involved as a result of Ashwin's death. I'm certain there is more than is apparent. Once I am able to inventory everything, I will make it known and setup a process for everyone to have an opportunity to purchase what they would like. All remaining items will be made available to the public for sale through eBay or some similar process. I ask that you all be patient with this, as it will take time.

On a sidenote, I understand that the CLSB group has the intention of completing the rebuild of the Yamaha RD that Ashwin began. I don't know if many of you know, but tha RD came from one of the YZF members (Insulinboy), as a gift of sorts. If I recall correctly, the bike fell victim to a flood some years back, and Insulinboy offered it to Ashwin, recognizing that Ashwin and he shared the same love for that particular model two-stroke. The only caveat was that Ashwin wold have to pick it up from Camden, New York. He drove out there on his own, overnight, and returned the next day. He was so excited. Well, Insulinboy had this to share with me after he had spent some time on the CLSB board:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insulinboy
I decided I would just let the RD go to CLSB, there are so many there that could benifit from having that part of ash and I cant be so selfish as to take it away from them for myself. Im glad that he shared it with so many there and that I was not the only one he shared that part of his life with. I will still find an RD here localy eventualy that I will build in his honor, true it wont be THAT RD, but it could mean just as much to me. Id still love for you to make a design for the tank for me, I cant make any promises as to when it will happen but I will make somthing happen in memmory of ash, even if its not an RD. Whatever bike I may get the tank will be dedicated to him

On a different topic, while speaking with Ashwin's parents, I made tham aware of some pictures I was given by one of our YZF members that was there at the time of the accident. I promised not to share that member's name out of a respect of privacy. The pictures were of the accident scene and the events around it. They may make some uncomfortable, so I will only post a link to them instead of posting them directly.
I also have a video of my ride to the scene, up until I'm told it was Ashwin involved. This will be posted later as I still have to upload it. You don't have to view them. They are posted with his family's knowledge and permission.

While sharing these pictures and video with his family, Ashwin's father informed me as to the extent of Ashwin's injuries. This will hopefully settle some speculation and offer some closure. Ashwin's father told me that the Medical Examiner said Ashwin had suffered a broken right leg, a broken right arm (both on the side he went down on, which was also the side of him struck first by the car) a broken neck and cardiac arrest. All the result of the impact. I know that I was uncertain of his injuries when I arrived on the scene, and I had later heard from others that were there and attended to him that his neck seemed "loose" at the time they determined he had no pulse and began to administer CPR. The Medical Examiner affirmed that Ashwin would not have suffered as a result.

One last thing I need to mention. Ashwin's family believe this was Destiny and have found solace in that belief. I have to agree with them. Ashwin died doing one of the things he loved most. He most certainly was happy at the time and has left us all with memories, knowledge and awe.

That's about all I can handle right now.

I want you all to know that Ashwin's family if grateful for all you have done.

Nelson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 06:27 AM
^^^Bad for your hearing

Sportbike: 2007 gsxr 600
Years Riding: Long enough to know theres alot more i have to learn in this sport
How you found us: heard from a member

Send a message via AIM to streetracin1820
Loki, thank you for all youve done both involving the accident and beeing there for ashiwns family. reading the post and hearing all youve done just shows what kind of person you are.

Rep sent

Everyone needs a healthy way to relax, mine Church, and two wheels, a stretch of winding road, and a pipe loud enough to give me headaches and make squirrels explode. (Fixed curtousey of PWRMAD)

Nothing is impossible the second we say ill try your already admiting you can be defeated, and the second you say i cant or its to hard youve already failed.
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 07:57 AM
Illegitimi non Carborundu

Sportbike: That Bike
Years Riding: That Long
How you found us: Google Search for "sexy."

Send a message via AIM to Paul Send a message via MSN to Paul Send a message via Yahoo to Paul Send a message via Skype™ to Paul
Thank you for posting this, Nelson, and for keeping his family comforted during this time. You are a good friend. Thank you for keeping us in the loop on things. I would love to contribute to the restoration of the RD. What a great way to continue Ashwin's memory. Even with some of the time that has passed, the thought os his passing still emotionally affects many of us. It's also served as a HUGE lesson to me personally, one that I reinforce with friends and family: Every day is important and every moment is to be cherished.

Thanks, again.

2012 Goldwing Owner
2013 Ninja 1000 Owner
2013 Harley Davidson Night Rod Special Owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 08:44 AM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk
How you found us: Google

I have offered to work on the RD, and have found an engine for it. I have room in my garage for it, and i'm sure Gus will be willing to do the work I do not know how to or have the tools for. I would like to build a street legal (if there is a title) vintage racer that way people can ride it at bike nights, and it will be on the second spot on my trailer for track days. It will be avaliable for all to ride. Bring your own spark plugs. Haha. Just kidding.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 09:18 AM
Slower Traffic Keep Right

Sportbike: '06 Suzuki GSXR-750 (Track); '11 HD Electra Glide (Road Sofa)
Years Riding: 30+ yrs total
How you found us: A friend at NESBA

Thank you for sharing, and thank you for stepping up and taking care of Ashwin's affairs. I know this can't be easy for you. Hang in there, and let us know if you need anything.

Midwest Track Day CR #130
NESBA 130-Control Rider (Former Midwest Region)
STT "A" 130
Track: 2006 GSXR-750
Street: 2011 H-D Ultra Limited (Road Sofa)

www.MidwestTrackDay.com / www.MidwestTrackDay.motorsportreg.com / www.facebook.com/midwesttrackday

http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member6419.png
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 09:37 AM
Teach me to Ride Please

Sportbike: 2012 HD street glide, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2006 CBR F4I, 2003 Honda XR50
Years Riding: Not long enough
How you found us: The voices in my head

Send a message via AIM to Guess Who? Send a message via MSN to Guess Who?
Thank you for sharing Loki, it really means alot.

RIP ASHWIN 7/23/2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseys View Post
trust me i am not the same cock sucker i was a few years ago either and so on.
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 10:29 AM

Sportbike: lots
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: grasshopper

I'll be glad to help .

Gus
We offer three kinds of service @ Resurrection
GOOD - CHEAP - FAST
You can pick any two
GOOD service CHEAP won't be FAST
GOOD service FAST won't be CHEAP
FAST service CHEAP won't be GOOD
and cold beer.

I'd love to help but I don't chase parts.
Please contact other forum members and supporters for parts.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 11:50 AM
Bek
Your Cigar Aficionado

Sportbike: 2007 Yamaha FZ6 & 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic
Years Riding: Long enough to know not long enough...
How you found us: Google-fu

Send a message via Yahoo to Bek
Nelson, thank you for sharing this with all of us and thank you for all that you've done for Ashwin. Wish we could have met under different circumstances.

And for what it's worth, welcome to CLSB.
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 12:53 PM
Mile Muncher

Sportbike: 2005 LE, Hayabusa
Years Riding: Two Weeks! :)
How you found us: Did a search on Crazy!!

Thank you for Sharing Nelson, and doing all that you did for Ashwin and his family.
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 12:56 PM

Sportbike: '04 CBR 600RR
Years Riding: days
How you found us: youngkow's monkey ass

Thanks for everything Nelson.
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 03:55 PM

Sportbike: Superhawk
Years Riding: 30 years
How you found us: dont know his screen name

Thanks Nelson and welcome to the forum.....I'm glad you decided to join..
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2006 YZF600R
Years Riding: 20
How you found us: Member (Ashwin)

Thanks to everyone for the kind words and willingness to help. At the moment, things are still up in the air. I have, however, PM'ed with Bruce and I have decided to accept his offer for housing Ash's bikes and such in order to clear out the garage ASAP while I work on the subsequent details.

Also, I apologize if we met at Ash's funeral and I don't recognize you here. It was a tough day and I had my best game face on. I remember faces better than names in any case, so please forgive me if I have trouble next time we meet face to face.

Thanks.
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 10:21 PM

Hello All -- I just got back from a vacation to North Carolina. I found out about Ashwin's death on Thursday and then left on Sunday morning with a group of friends. I was very nervous about the trip; Ash's death was weighing heavily on my mind and I was very anxious about doing the Dragon and riding in the area in general. I would try and try to get it out of my mind, but to no avail. After reading the posts of where the accident took place, I got a guardian bell and put a tiny label on it with Ashwin's name. When we were riding in the location of the accident, I tossed it from my bike off to the side, (but off the road) as a memorial item to him. I didn't want to take a chance on stopping. We finally rode the dragon and I was quite nervous; finally I just thought to myself "Ash -- you knew this terrain; help me do this safely." I swear I felt an immediate sense of calmness and peace come over me and I was able to complete the course with some sense of style (nothing like you sportbike types tho!). The day we left we had to ride thru the dragon again; this time in a TORRENTIAL DOWNPOUR. I have never ridden in such horrible conditions. A tree went down in the dragon and water came across the roads like rivers flashflooding. I was terrified. Again I thought of Ash watching over me and guiding my movements and I got thru the ride safely. I know he was there with me in spirit and I'm glad I left the little memorial token for him.
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 11:06 AM

Sportbike: Working on it...
Years Riding: Hmm... let me see....
How you found us: Google

Nelson,

Thank you for all you have and will be doing for Ashwin and his parents. True friends are angels in disguise.

I look forward to seeing you again.

The update was much needed.

Gracias.

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

R.I.P. Ashwin
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 01:59 PM
Ride Red, DO WORK SON!!

Sportbike: Rockets & Harleys
Years Riding: Me love you long time
How you found us: CLSB DECAL

Thank you for sharing and all you have done and continue to do...

***Ashwin RIP Brotha you will be missed***

www.dcdecals.net www.firespeed.com

Life's Journey Is Not To Arrive At The Grave Safely In A Well Preserved Body, But Rather To Skid In Sideways, Totally Worn Out, Shouting "HOLY SHIT... What A Ride!"

All you have to do is follow three simple rules. One, never under estimate your opponent (mentality). Expect the unexpected (could work out in your favor). Two, take it outside(or to a table). Never start anything inside the Bar unless it's absolutely necessary. And three, be nice.

Turning Shit into Sugar!!
post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 02:06 PM
Orgynizer

Sportbike: 07 600RR
Years Riding: 8 years
How you found us: ......................

Thank you Loki for sharing that, I know it must've been hard.

Let me know if you need help with anything!!

Shelly
STT Northern Promotions Coordinator
post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 02:22 PM
Slum Overlord

Sportbike: 03 GSXR 1000, 02 RM250, 03 TTR125L
Years Riding: considerable time
How you found us: install job

Thanks for the update Nelson. It is appreciated.

the uncarved stone
post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 12:10 PM
Teach me to Ride Please

Sportbike: 2012 HD street glide, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2006 CBR F4I, 2003 Honda XR50

Graphic pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been PMing with Nelson and since he can not post the pictures do to his low post count here are links to the photos and video. If this type of stuff bothers you then do not click the link.
http://www.yzf600r.com/albums/album2...23_09_1114.jpg
http://www.yzf600r.com/albums/album2...23_09_1115.jpg
http://www.yzf600r.com/albums/album2...23_09_1113.jpg
http://www.yzf600r.com/albums/album2...23_09_1222.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVCoGUXjVVQ

RIP ASHWIN 7/23/2009

Quote:

Last edited by 2weelpilot; 08-04-2009 at 12:24 PM.
post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 01:28 PM

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: 2 months
How you found us: Friend

In my prayers
post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 02:08 PM
Defender of the Innocent

Sportbike: Simon and Garfunkel
Years Riding: over a decade
How you found us: YZFRob

Thanks Nelson for all you've done....
Thanks for the update. If you ever need anything, you know we're here for you!

I am going to Gingerman this weekend. That's where Ash and I talked last. I'll make sure I go to that place, close my eyes, and take a moment to remember him from that day, smile all over his face, because he was at his happy place, the race track..

Tea Palella
Midwest Instructor

SportbikeTrackTime - SportbikeTrackGear - SportbikeTrackGirl

IMMIGracing
CCS #56 - Arlen Ness Racing, Hindle, Silkolene, Suomy, Woodcraft, Vortex, Sharkskinz, PopShadow, TrackdayMag.com, Cyclepath Racing
ChicagoLand Bikers.com
post #21 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 09:49 AM
Teach me to Ride Please

I am in Tenn this week, and drove 120 miles out of the way to say a little good bye to Ashwin. I will be back down in the area at the end of the month to actually ride, and will put something up in memory or Ash and post some pics.

RIP ASHWIN 7/23/2009

Quote:
post #22 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 12:49 AM
Don't stare for too long

Sportbike: 2 Wheels and an engine
How you found us: ¿?

Work sent me to TN as well this week. Made a small detour so I could go by the site. Was a very eery feeling driving (albeit as a passenger) on that road. Almost more technical than any other road I've ridden/driven, similar to the noodle roads in Calabasas, CA.

RIP..
post #23 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 12:12 AM
n00b

Sportbike: Yamaha feejer and Suzuki vstrom
Years Riding: 5 years
How you found us: search engine

Send a message via AIM to zed88
Drove through on Friday and Saturday. RIP Ash we were thinking of you.
post #24 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 03:49 PM

Hi , any news / update on whats been happening at ashwins place ? can someone please give me nelsons email id ? thanks , this is a friend of ashwins from bangalore . Thank you .
post #25 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 04:38 PM
RIP Ashwin

Sportbike: twin turbo supercharged busa
Years Riding: Just got my license
How you found us: A tramp stamp

Nelson, you're a good man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunba View Post
Hi , any news / update on whats been happening at ashwins place ? can someone please give me nelsons email id ? thanks , this is a friend of ashwins from bangalore . Thank you .
I'm sure Nelson will see your post.
post #26 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 05:25 PM
Üter Zörker

Sportbike: Silver 'Blade
Years Riding: Jan '07
How you found us: Stumbled onto it by mistake...

I only poke around here a little nowaday's. This is extremely sad. I only met Ashwin a handful of times. My most memorable was when he caught another CLSB member and I when we rode past were everybody stopped on an ABC ride. He caught up and led us back. Because of this he ran out of gas later and was on the side of the road, amused nonetheless. I think Nolan and Kim were there. Bruce had to get him a can of gas on his bike. I last ran across him when I was back in the US in May and we exchanged a few words. Good man. RIP Ashwin.

From everything that I searched through, CLSB and others have been extremely supportive. If there are still any open donations I would like to help.

RIP Ashwin

post #27 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 05:48 PM
The Violator

Sportbike: A little bit of everything.
Years Riding: Not nearly enough!
How you found us: On a ride in Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed88 View Post
Drove through on Friday and Saturday. RIP Ash we were thinking of you.
Rode through there on Thursday & he was on our minds as well.
post #28 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 06:44 PM
Kim

Sportbike: '08 GSXR 750
How you found us: hubby's a member!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvin' Twins View Post
I only poke around here a little nowaday's. This is extremely sad. I only met Ashwin a handful of times. My most memorable was when he caught another CLSB member and I when we rode past were everybody stopped on an ABC ride. He caught up and led us back. Because of this he ran out of gas later and was on the side of the road, amused nonetheless. I think Nolan and Kim were there. Bruce had to get him a can of gas on his bike. I last ran across him when I was back in the US in May and we exchanged a few words. Good man. RIP Ashwin.

From everything that I searched through, CLSB and others have been extremely supportive. If there are still any open donations I would like to help.

RIP Ashwin
Yes sir, I remember that ride like it was yesterday. Ash knew you were missing and rounded you up while we all waited. Typical Ashwin behavior .

CCS #912
STT Coach #912
Former NESBA CR #29
post #29 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 08:20 PM
Gixxer Rider

Sportbike: K6 & K9 GSXR1000s
Years Riding: 12th season
How you found us: SBN

Quote:

RIP Ashwin
I remember that day as well. I waited with Ashwin as everybody went to find a gas station. He thought it was funny that the swarms of mosquitos were divebombing me rather than him. Good times.

Track Junkie #79
post #30 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 10:51 PM
Fading fast...

Sportbike: Buell
Years Riding: since '88
How you found us: someone in traffic school...

Quote:

RIP Ashwin
I had forgotten about that ride. I ribbed Ashwin about running out of gas from time to time. He always smiled and would say that he still made it to the gas station (with a little help).

Thanks for bringing back a fond memory for me.

If you ride like there's no tomorrow, today will be a BLAST!

UR Mom Racing #13

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode