I Want to Race-Help - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

CCS Racing This forum is for discussion about CCS and events.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2007 GSXR 1000
Years Riding: .05 Years
How you found us: RAT

I Want to Race-Help

Looking to grid up but I have questions. I know there are probably a zillion threads, but I want it current.

I printed the new riders packet and rulebook and read it all.

2007 GSXR-1000 is the only bike I have.

Here goes.

1. Can I run any tire?

2. The whole airbox venting/plugging coolant overflow section confuses me. Can someone simplify.

3. On any EX/AM race, the first wave is EX and the second wave is AM?

4. I have determined that I can run the following classes with my bike. Please correct me or add classes.
-Unlimited Supersport
-Unlimited Superbike
-Unlimited Grand Prix
-GTO

5. Im slow and scared. I dont want to get in anyone's way, should I just leave the grid alone and stick to trackdays?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 10:18 AM
Chief Apex Inspector

Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......

JMO..... but for starters..... a used track prepped SV650 will cost less than
the replacement cost from your first litrebike crash.

Tom

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 10:59 AM

Sportbike: SV 650, FZR 400, RM 125
Years Riding: Since 1990
How you found us: Nesba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alocker View Post
Looking to grid up but I have questions. I know there are probably a zillion threads, but I want it current.

I printed the new riders packet and rulebook and read it all.

2007 GSXR-1000 is the only bike I have.

Here goes.

1. Can I run any tire?

2. The whole airbox venting/plugging coolant overflow section confuses me. Can someone simplify.

3. On any EX/AM race, the first wave is EX and the second wave is AM?

4. I have determined that I can run the following classes with my bike. Please correct me or add classes.
-Unlimited Supersport
-Unlimited Superbike
-Unlimited Grand Prix
-GTO

5. Im slow and scared. I dont want to get in anyone's way, should I just leave the grid alone and stick to trackdays?
1. Yes
2. Do what everyone does. Leave it stock and don't touch a thing.
3. Yes. Just be sure if it is or is not 2 wave start. That will be determined when the grids are displayed.
4. Sounds good.
5. Just ride your ride and hold a consistent line.
If your not comfortable being passed close and it would distract you, then you need to do more trackdays.

Start your first race weekend with the GTO race and see and maybe one other. See how it feels and go from there. The heavyweight grids are usually smaller. The GT races are LONG! Most racers are completely fatigued and can't hold their pace for 25 mins. As such, it's usually the most tame race of all of them.

I'd also suggest pitting with someone that has raced before. That way you don't miss calls. Know when to take your warmers off. Know how get your grids and make sure you don't forget them. The little nuances that are different. If I'm there, feel free to pit with me. I'm always by the pimp Pirelli trailer that takes great care of me. Giving me the support I just mentioned and keeping me happy with a truckload of fresh race tires for sale.

Greg K.
STT Staff Member
CCS Expert #12
MSF Instructor

VinylSaurusRex.com - Cyclepath Racing - Safety First Racing - SMR Components - Apexjunkie.com - Yamaha Champions Riding School
"If you're headed toward trees, I'm guessing your on the wrong line." - S. Russell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 11:01 AM

If you want to hear about the experience, I have my blogs somewhere of my first weekend. Otherwise, give me a call and we'll chat.

Tonight we're doing go carting at Chicago Indoor Racing, Buffalo Grove. There should be plenty of downtime to chat with many of us from Nesba, who also race. Come out. Maybe cart, or just ask questions. 3:00 if you want to come out.

Greg K.
STT Staff Member
CCS Expert #12
MSF Instructor

VinylSaurusRex.com - Cyclepath Racing - Safety First Racing - SMR Components - Apexjunkie.com - Yamaha Champions Riding School
"If you're headed toward trees, I'm guessing your on the wrong line." - S. Russell
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLARNEY View Post
JMO..... but for starters..... a used track prepped SV650 will cost less than
the replacement cost from your first litrebike crash.

Tom
Thanks for the input and I would love to have a second bike. Things is, I love my liter and I built it myself so I know whats been done. I dont have the funds to start another ground up build. Plus, I am really comfortable on the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkotlin View Post
If you want to hear about the experience, I have my blogs somewhere of my first weekend. Otherwise, give me a call and we'll chat.

Tonight we're doing go carting at Chicago Indoor Racing, Buffalo Grove. There should be plenty of downtime to chat with many of us from Nesba, who also race. Come out. Maybe cart, or just ask questions. 3:00 if you want to come out.
Thanks, but I have to do house stuff to be able to go out for the fight tonight.

Quote:
1. Yes
2. Do what everyone does. Leave it stock and don't touch a thing.
3. Yes. Just be sure if it is or is not 2 wave start. That will be determined when the grids are displayed.
4. Sounds good.
5. Just ride your ride and hold a consistent line.
If your not comfortable being passed close and it would distract you, then you need to do more trackdays.

Start your first race weekend with the GTO race and see and maybe one other. See how it feels and go from there. The heavyweight grids are usually smaller. The GT races are LONG! Most racers are completely fatigued and can't hold their pace for 25 mins. As such, it's usually the most tame race of all of them.

I'd also suggest pitting with someone that has raced before. That way you don't miss calls. Know when to take your warmers off. Know how get your grids and make sure you don't forget them. The little nuances that are different. If I'm there, feel free to pit with me. I'm always by the pimp Pirelli trailer that takes great care of me. Giving me the support I just mentioned and keeping me happy with a truckload of fresh race tires for sale.
Thanks for this too. I might take you up on it if my buddy can't make the first weekend. I plan on running Pirelli's too. Good advice on how many races. Compared to a track day, 2 races does not seem like much.

As far as holding lines, I think I'm ok. My last day was at Road Atlanta and I think the CR's were trying to spook me. Finally to the point were I don't even flinch anymore.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 02:30 PM

Turns out I was confused. Carting is tomorrow, not today.
It might actually be better to run 2 races the first day (if it's a 2 day event) Run the GT race and another sprint in the afternoon. Then if you're hooked, you can register at the end of the day for Sunday or Sunday morning for more races.

Greg K.
STT Staff Member
CCS Expert #12
MSF Instructor

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 05:05 PM

Sportbike: Half an SV 650
Years Riding: '07
How you found us: CLSB found me

1. if you're running SS, gotta have DOTs, not slicks
3. a 2 wave start has a big "2nd wave" sign in front of you. it's pretty hard to get them confused with a single wave start.

Jordan
NESBA/CCS #811
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeny View Post
1. if you're running SS, gotta have DOTs, not slicks
3. a 2 wave start has a big "2nd wave" sign in front of you. it's pretty hard to get them confused with a single wave start.
Not always. I believe we had one at BHF that was 2 wave. But I didn't know everyone else knew. I didn't see the sign and they didn't put hands in the air, but they weren't ready to go.

Greg K.
STT Staff Member
CCS Expert #12
MSF Instructor

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 05:50 PM

Sportbike: Half an SV 650
Years Riding: '07
How you found us: CLSB found me

i wonder if leaving with the first wave and taking your ride-through will actually help or hurt you. and as for the hands up thing, i understand it, but think it's weird and don't do it.

Jordan
NESBA/CCS #811
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 06:14 PM

Sportbike: 08 R6 , CRF250R
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: chicagorussionriders

Quote:

Racing is fun only if you are very comfortable in the bike. Many people who have never done track day came in and did well racing. A lot of times, those people actually had a good background in other sports where speed, visual skills and eye - body coordination are important. If you do not think that it is the case with yourself, you'd better off developing the above skills under less pressure. Racing is where you show your best. It’s not to practice what you do not know. That's said , you can utilize race practice days and not race. This might be good compromise for you if you want to :
a) be in a race environment - learn information about the setup, equipment , etc
b) get track time.

Cheers

CCS 787(ex). 08r6
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeny View Post
i wonder if leaving with the first wave and taking your ride-through will actually help or hurt you. and as for the hands up thing, i understand it, but think it's weird and don't do it.
I understand it too. I feel weird doing it as well. But I think it should be mandatory. It's a safety thing. It doesn't feel any more weird then walking around in shiny new boots and suit the first time at the track. Plus if you have a problem with your bike, you put your hands up like that to signal the riders behind you. If you have your hands up, it's clear you're not going anywhere. So when Jordan blows the start, he knows to go around me because I had my hands up

Greg K.
STT Staff Member
CCS Expert #12
MSF Instructor

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Not always. I believe we had one at BHF that was 2 wave. But I didn't know everyone else knew. I didn't see the sign and they didn't put hands in the air, but they weren't ready to go.
Why should they have put their hands in the air?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 03:11 PM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

Quote:
Why should they have put their hands in the air?
The reason the 2nd wave puts their hands in the air is so the grid marshall & starter knows that everyone knows that they are the 2nd wave and realize that the first drop of the green isnt theirs. They dont start the 2nd wave util the 1st wave is through turn 1 (at BHF).

If you are having bike problems on the grid and you cant start, you put your hands STRAIGHT UP so other racers behind you know you have a problem. It also signals the grid guys that you have a problem and if they can, they will get you out of the way (unless the 2 board is up then you sit still & arms up. NEVER EVER put your arms out sideways if you cant start. Thats a good way to lose them since other racers do pass literally within inches.

I would suggest what Blarney said. Just go get a SV. You dont have to "build one from the ground up". Just buy one thats already setup as a racebike. Just make sure its a supersport legal one and you can run ALOT of classess on it. And depending on what you did with your gsxr, you may have done something that makes it not legal for supersport.

Quite frankly, a race only bike is the only way to go. Wadding your street bike up at a race or wadding your racebike up on the street sucks. Also if you have insurance on it if you street ride the same bike, the second they find out you are using it for competition, they will drop you like a lead balloon.

I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

I see now on the 2nd wave arm thing.

As for the SV650. I would do it if I got rid of my 1000. Thing is I dont want to. Between warmers and genny, a new bike is not in the cards. My gix is not a street bike either. Its a salvage title bike that was babied on the street. I know the history of it, its been tested set up by me, and I know its not tweaked or ready to window a block.

I will look around for an SV, but it will have to be a steal and super clean, which is difficult to find.

Thanks for all the input so far. Back in the gym tomorrow so Im not gassed in 3 laps.

This is what I am working with.

Last edited by alocker; 11-21-2010 at 04:30 PM.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 05:19 PM
Midnight Rider

Sportbike: R6 and a Z1000
Years Riding: for a bit
How you found us: random PM on sportbikes.net

I'll go against the grain here... If you have been riding a 1000 for a while, you might not like the SV. You have to ride it differently, plus the power drop is huge.

Fat Pat #728

If you don't like my fire, then don't come around...
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 05:38 PM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

Well heres one

http://www.ccsforum.com/index.php/topic,25200.0.html

Dont worry about looks with a racebike. They all hit the ground anyways. I had scrape marks on both sides of my F2 where me and other racers rubbed paint.

I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatFitz9 View Post
I'll go against the grain here... If you have been riding a 1000 for a while, you might not like the SV. You have to ride it differently, plus the power drop is huge.
I no longer find the power overwhelming and my main goals always include increasing cornerspeed. I understand tires are more costly but I really love my bike.

The SV has always intrigued me and I have actually been on the lookout for one the past year. I have not seen anything that has made me warm and fuzzy and Im not taking a hit buying all new parts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode