Post-5/22 Blackhawk! - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

CCS Racing This forum is for discussion about CCS and events.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 226 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
Post-5/22 Blackhawk!

Lucas took an EASY 2nd in AM Thunderbike... retired the bike early in LW-F40 b/c the red duck needs an oil pressure sensor/sending unit whatever. Makin' plans for practice in June and gridding up in July while he's doing RAGBRAI... can't let the old man have ALL the fun!

Nice to see the FAMILY out there today... Props to MJ for letting us pit under his EZ UP. Beautiful weather, great racing, the floodgates opened with entries on Sunday morning - so many that the riders meeting was pushed back to after the morning races. Kevin was smiling. The grid in Middleweight SuperSport was great to see - looked just like the old days. Hope everyone had a fun, safe weekend.

I am sunburned, sweaty and sleepy. Good night!

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 226 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 11:51 PM
I don't know...

Sportbike: more than one... one less now...
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Some girl was talking about it.

I missed lucas in the Super twins race!

I personally sucked in one race and was doing ok in the other one... good night.

post #3 of 226 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 08:47 AM

Sportbike: 08 R6 , CRF250R
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: chicagorussionriders

I feel like I got hit by the bus .... twice

CCS 787(ex). 08r6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 226 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 08:51 AM
I don't know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselBoy View Post
I feel like I got hit by the bus .... twice
Dude that was a red pick-up truck, no bus!

post #5 of 226 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 08:56 AM
Let's boogie!

Sportbike: Proven Winner
Years Riding: Since you were on the teat..
How you found us: The Big Sur Merlot & Mescaline Tasting Tour

So when the skies opened up and let go with 2 races left to run, Germany walks past my pit...

Me (laughing and well into my 3rd beer as I had long since decided to drop SuperTwins so I could save tires for the RA AHRMA event): "hey Germany! Have fun out there in the rain, buddy!"

Germany: "..." - silence and a sideways glance that killed me, just a little.

And then he goes out and wins the race. Overall. Amateur AND Expert. Silly kid, apparently he asked what he could do on rains, someone told him he could ride his ass off with them, he believed it and did it. Awesome.

Kick ass dude, congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maoisn View Post
There will always be a better ride out there. It's not the bike that bends, it's the rider. There is no spoon.
CCS/ASRA #904

Sponsored by: TeamMCC.com

Yep, still.

Farmboys Garage
post #6 of 226 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germany View Post
Dude that was a red pick-up truck, no bus!
oh ... right ... I must have hit my head ...

CCS 787(ex). 08r6
post #7 of 226 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 09:05 AM

Sportbike: drz400sm
Years Riding: yes
How you found us: search engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmboy69 View Post
So when the skies opened up and let go with 2 races left to run, Germany walks past my pit...

Me (laughing and well into my 3rd beer as I had long since decided to drop SuperTwins so I could save tires for the RA AHRMA event): "hey Germany! Have fun out there in the rain, buddy!"

Germany: "..." - silence and a sideways glance that killed me, just a little.

And then he goes out and wins the race. Overall. Amateur AND Expert. Silly kid, apparently he asked what he could do on rains, someone told him he could ride his ass off with them, he believed it and did it. Awesome.

Kick ass dude, congrats!
way to go germany!

post #8 of 226 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 09:48 AM

Sportbike: All kinds.....
Years Riding: motorcycles are dangerous
How you found us: as

Great seeing everyone out there. It was a good event...lots o' new faces. Decent grid sizes. (now, CCS can go back to NOT having combined races, the closing speeds are too great with that many people on the track in a race).

I had a decent weekend, was fighting clutch issues yesterday. Didn't go nearly as fast as I needed to but with that said, wasn't too bad considering I could only get a lap, lap in a half in before the clutch faded and started to slip.

Lesson learned in MWGP yesterday, do not race a motorcycle into a wall of rain at full dry race pace. That was the craziest flash down pour I've ever seen. Talk about bad timing? I was full race pace going into T5 trying to set Brian up for a pass into T6, I didn't even see it start to sprinkle all of a sudden it was a down pour and the entire track was soaked. (so in other words, in the amount of time it takes to go from the little straight between T4 and T5 it went from dry to totally soaked) Nothing I could do. It almost high sided me to the moon but I saved it but by that time I was running out of pavement and headed towards the the tire wall, all I could do was try to get my bike aimed as parallel to the tire wall and guardrail as I could (of course I missed all the air fence and hit the tire wall) ... Brian was about 3-5 bike lengths in front of me going through T5 when the rain hit and had his bike stood up just enough to save it...it was crazy to say the least...

Last edited by dano5150; 05-23-2011 at 10:09 AM.
post #9 of 226 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 09:52 AM
Defender of the Innocent

Sportbike: Simon and Garfunkel
Years Riding: over a decade
How you found us: YZFRob

Yeah, the rain was the craziest I have ever seen.

I was in the middle of my trailer (6x12) when i heard the rain drops. By the time i got to the ramp, it came down in buckets. Like DanO says, the length you go between T4 and T5.
Monsoon!! Glad you're not hurt, Dan.

I had a great day!! Got a 5th in GTU and won the FMMW. It was AWESOME to have Jen out there again, and racing against Tanya. We were together in the GTU race as well.
I gave up on MWSS.

Most fun was watching Stefan having fun in the rain and Steve being 'wiser' behind him

Tea Palella
Midwest Instructor

SportbikeTrackTime - SportbikeTrackGear - SportbikeTrackGirl

IMMIGracing
CCS #56 - Arlen Ness Racing, Hindle, Silkolene, Suomy, Woodcraft, Vortex, Sharkskinz, PopShadow, TrackdayMag.com, Cyclepath Racing
ChicagoLand Bikers.com
post #10 of 226 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 09:57 AM
Resident Slow Guy

Sportbike: Ain't got none!
Years Riding: Since May 21, 2011
How you found us: The intarwebz

Send a message via Yahoo to ENutz
Didn't crash and didn't finish last (finished second to last, lulz!). Got my race license and my first real race out of the way in the Rookies Cup. Most importantly, bike and rider came home in one piece. Need to work on getting faster and calming those nerves. All in all it was a good weekend spent with some good peeps. LOVE the racer camaraderie! Can't wait for the next one!

<- Erwin

CCS AM #611

"Nigga if you ride, nigga you gon fall!" - Katt Williams

Ashwin Gopal, David Ryan, Baby Ronin Tyler, John George, Chris Kotacka aka 'Arch', Eva Grzegorczyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob, Esq. View Post
image v. substance. Some people want to be motorcyclists, others just want to be seen as motorcyclists.
post #11 of 226 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano5150 View Post
Lesson learned in MWGP yesterday, do not race a motorcycle into a wall of rain at full dry race pace. That was the craziest flash down pour I've ever seen. Talk about bad timing?...
+1
lesson No 2 for me is to clean the god damn visor once in a while.... I'm like wtf is this mist behind 7 . throw it in, give it a gas , and as I'm at it , few drops landed on the pavement .... sure enough ... ground sky ground sky ground sky . and that is after i fixed the damn thing 2 hours ago. very dissapointed.

CCS 787(ex). 08r6
post #12 of 226 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 10:01 AM
Shhhhhh.....

Sportbike: K6 GSXR600, 2012 Harley-Davidson XL1200N
Years Riding: I'm old. It's been a long time.
How you found us: google

Congratulations on your first race and congratulations for not finishing last.

I'm so jealous of you guys for racing yesterday I almost peed myself this morning when I thought about it. I really wanted to be out there. July can't get here fast enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENutz View Post
Didn't crash and didn't finish last (finished second to last, lulz!). Got my race license and my first real race out of the way in the Rookies Cup. Most importantly, bike and rider came home in one piece. Need to work on getting faster and calming those nerves. All in all it was a good weekend spent with some good peeps. LOVE the racer camaraderie! Can't wait for the next one!

CCS Amateur #133
K6 GSXR600
2012 Harley-Davidson XL1200N
post #13 of 226 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 10:03 AM
Resident Slow Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadadams View Post
Congratulations on your first race and congratulations for not finishing last.

I'm so jealous of you guys for racing yesterday I almost peed myself this morning when I thought about it. I really wanted to be out there. July can't get here fast enough.
Good seeing you again Chad! See you at the next one!

<- Erwin

CCS AM #611

Ashwin Gopal, David Ryan, Baby Ronin Tyler, John George, Chris Kotacka aka 'Arch', Eva Grzegorczyk

Quote:
image v. substance. Some people want to be motorcyclists, others just want to be seen as motorcyclists.
post #14 of 226 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 10:22 AM

Sportbike: 08 r6
Years Riding: a while

I can't believe there were 20+ people in learning curves! It was nice to see the middle weight supersport grids packed. I saw some new faces and met some new people. Both the expert and amateur grids were huge, and I would imagine that the July race will be every bit of that.

I can't believe the rain in the GP race... I started to see a few drops on the 2nd or 3rd lap and then it cut loose. Right before I saw the red flag I almost lost it coming out of turn 1. As soon as the rain hit, it instantly put a few people on the ground. It couldn't hold off for another 30min to finish the day?

Alex
CCS/NESBA/STT A #424
post #15 of 226 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 10:23 AM
Not too Slow Not too Fast

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Falco
Years Riding: Too many
How you found us: ApriliaForum.com

Send a message via Yahoo to RSVMillenian
congrats to Tea, Steve, Stefan (Germany), ENutz and of course Jason. You all did fantastic. I wish I was there but I didn't plan on racing on Sunday anyway. had to spend time with the supreme leader and her two little followers.

DanO good to see you and I am glad you and everyone else that was it that race are ok.

Chad it was nice meeting you on Saturday and good riding.

CLSB was represented very well this weekend in both LCR School and the races. Can't wait for July.

Dejan
CCS very very Amateur #144
post #16 of 226 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 10:25 AM
I don't know...

Here is my weekend...
I signed up for HWSBK and SuperTwins, racing the 1098.
I knew that in HWSBK I would have to work for everything, Alex and Jesse are just beyond my speed. At the start I went 4th out of 5 in T1 passed a guy for 3rd in T2 and stayed behind Jesse until the bus stop, than things started to get awkward, I made every mistake I made in the whole time riding at Blackhawk I have ever made, short of crashing. Ed B. passed me on the brakes going in T1 , the other guy passed me on the front straight with a better run from T7... and so I went on to lapping in my own little world, until Farrell and Ricardo passed me the last lap.
well my mood was somewhere below 0...

Than talking to the guys in the Pit the possibility for rain came up, just before the SuperTwin race, I thought oh well I just run the DOTs and stay behind, I knew from HPT that I actually passed people on rains riding my worn down DOTs....

So as the waiting goes the MW GP race started and in lap two there was a big bucket emptied over BHF, and there was no way to run any decent speeds on DOTs, as I walked over to the competition I see them putting the rims with rains on... I had rains at that point but no second set of rims.. so I was torn apart between riding on DOTs or risking that I don't make the race at all... I kept asking everyone I trust in what to do and the opinions were go and take it easy...

Than I hear 2nd call MWGP... My brain was like you have a few minutes to get rains on the bike... and it began...
Taking the rear off, having dennis run to Dustin and mount a rain, Team squid helping me take the front off... running that over to Dustin. Wally came to help putting the tires back on. in the meantime the calls came 1st, 2nd, 3rd... I got gloves helmet, someone check the tire pressure,... 4th call?!
I took off, split Brian Hall and his dad trying to backup their trailer ( sorry about that ), Butch giving me the hurry up sign... as I got on hot pit I wanted to see if the tire spins or grips... well the wheelie down hotpitlane was the answer... as I passed the tower they take down the 5 board... well went around picked up some people on the warm up lap, as I get up to the grit I wanted an answer how the front would work, well endo-ing the bike also gave that answer...

I had a decent start, well some people said I wheelied into T1... after T2 I had only Steve P. ahead of me, Steve is one of the guys teaching me a lot on the track, so I have Lot's of respect for him, after T4 I couldn't stay with his speed and passed him in the little straight, and than there was nobody... Oh I saw lots of people standing at the side and waving, cheering and some giving me the stupid sign, that was pretty cool. I lapped two experts the last lap around.

The mood was back up to a 10*.

Thanks to everyone who helped me and It was great seeing everyone out there again.
Congratulations to everyone!

post #17 of 226 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 10:25 AM

Sportbike: All kinds.....
Years Riding: motorcycles are dangerous
How you found us: as

Quote:
Originally Posted by awalk9905 View Post
I can't believe there were 20+ people in learning curves!
Hells yea! Like the good old days.
post #18 of 226 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 10:26 AM
Resident Slow Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVMillenian View Post
congrats to Tea, Steve, Stefan (Germany), ENutz and of course Jason. You all did fantastic. I wish I was there but I didn't plan on racing on Sunday anyway. had to spend time with the supreme leader and her two little followers.

DanO good to see you and I am glad you and everyone else that was it that race are ok.

Chad it was nice meeting you on Saturday and good riding.

CLSB was represented very well this weekend in both LCR School and the races. Can't wait for July.
Good seeing you out there Dejan! And you can just call me Erwin. I respond better to that when I'm not on the boards.

<- Erwin

CCS AM #611

Quote:
post #19 of 226 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 10:28 AM
Resident Slow Guy

Also want to give a huge thanks to Jason for letting me pit with him and for all his help this weekend. Thanks to Tea for all her advice and thanks to Wally for the invite to get some grub where he was pitted.

<- Erwin

CCS AM #611

Quote:
post #20 of 226 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 10:31 AM
I don't know...

The MW starts looked like Moto2 starts, a fat train of bikes trying to squeeze in T1, just amazing, and scary!

post #21 of 226 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 10:32 AM

I think there was 29 of us in the LCR school on Saturday. Some very fast NESBA A guys, some not so fast two strokers, some fast guys on vintage bikes, everything in between. It was fantastic.

Dejan
post #22 of 226 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 10:33 AM
Shhhhhh.....

Sportbike: K6 GSXR600, 2012 Harley-Davidson XL1200N
Years Riding: I'm old. It's been a long time.

Quote:
had to spend time with the supreme leader and her two little followers.
Brilliant. Just brilliant.

It was good meet you too.

CCS Amateur #133
K6 GSXR600
2012 Harley-Davidson XL1200N
post #23 of 226 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germany View Post
The MW starts looked like Moto2 starts, a fat train of bikes trying to squeeze in T1, just amazing, and scary!
why yes , it is scary ....

CCS 787(ex). 08r6
post #24 of 226 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 10:55 AM

Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
Sunday was a blast, going into 1 completely surrounded by bikes is one of the scariest things ive done, nobody gets thru there cleanly and there is no good line just gotta keep it on 2 wheels ad get thru it and things thin out pretty quick after that

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselBoy View Post
+1
lesson No 2 for me is to clean the god damn visor once in a while.... I'm like wtf is this mist behind 7 . throw it in, give it a gas , and as I'm at it , few drops landed on the pavement .... sure enough ... ground sky ground sky ground sky . and that is after i fixed the damn thing 2 hours ago. very dissapointed.

i was standing in 7 when that happened... scary shit right there, your bike bounced off its carthwheel pretty well. that rain came in so fast the corners workers didnt have time to throw a rain flag

Quote:
I wish I was there but I didn't plan on racing on Sunday anyway. had to spend time with the supreme leader and her two little followers.
how did knitting class go?

-Jason
CCS AM #31
post #25 of 226 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotx1 View Post
how did knitting class go?
Knitting class was awesome but the quilting class just almost killed me.

Dejan
post #26 of 226 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 11:18 AM
Orgynizer

Sportbike: 07 600RR
Years Riding: 8 years
How you found us: ......................

Damn, I wanted to make it up to watch but with 80% chance of rain I wasn't about to chance it on the bike. But sounds like everyone had a BLAST!!!

Quote:
Sunday was a blast, going into 1 completely surrounded by bikes is one of the scariest things ive done, nobody gets thru there cleanly and there is no good line just gotta keep it on 2 wheels ad get thru it and things thin out pretty quick after that
Yeah this is why I think I've opted out of racing

Shelly
STT Northern Promotions Coordinator
post #27 of 226 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 11:23 AM
Resident Slow Guy

Quote:
going into 1 completely surrounded by bikes is one of the scariest things ive done, nobody gets thru there cleanly and there is no good line
Agreed. In the mock race there was just enough space between a rider and the apex and I tip toed my way through it. i've never done that before and i'm sure the guy I did it to wasn't too happy about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Twin View Post
Yeah this is why I think I've opted out of racing
Its not that bad. If I can do it anybody can.

<- Erwin

CCS AM #611

Quote:
post #28 of 226 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENutz View Post
Its not that bad. If I can do it anybody can.
Erwin what you did takes a lot of cajones. You gridded up, and you raced, and you finished. That is a huge, HUGE accomplishment for any rider. Congratulations to you my friend!

Dejan
post #29 of 226 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 11:32 AM
Defender of the Innocent

Sportbike: Simon and Garfunkel
Years Riding: over a decade
How you found us: YZFRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsvmillenian View Post
erwin what you did takes a lot of cajones. You gridded up, and you raced, and you finished. That is a huge, huge accomplishment for any rider. Congratulations to you my friend!
+1 !!!

Tea Palella
Midwest Instructor

SportbikeTrackTime - SportbikeTrackGear - SportbikeTrackGirl

IMMIGracing
CCS #56 - Arlen Ness Racing, Hindle, Silkolene, Suomy, Woodcraft, Vortex, Sharkskinz, PopShadow, TrackdayMag.com, Cyclepath Racing
ChicagoLand Bikers.com
post #30 of 226 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 11:32 AM
Addicted

Sportbike: 09 Kawi ZX6R, 75' Yamaha RD250, '13 KTM 350 SX-F, '05 Yamaha Zuma
Years Riding: Not nearly long enough
How you found us: followed the squids

Send a message via AIM to eE jeremy
Quote:
Erwin what you did takes a lot of cajones. You gridded up, and you raced, and you finished. That is a huge, HUGE accomplishment for any rider. Congratulations to you my friend!
Agreed, I'm very jealous of all you noobies that took the plunge

Shitty Pass Racing #513

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode