BHF weekend 7/23-24. Cornerstaff perspective. - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

CCS Racing This forum is for discussion about CCS and events.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

BHF weekend 7/23-24. Cornerstaff perspective.

Honestly it was a bad weekend in my book. Way too many crashes and ambulances. Unfortunately we had a medivac today after a very bad crash at T2 involving 3 bikes. Hoping for the best for him (and the other guys who left in the ambulances)

Had to put two bikes on their side this weekend since they couldnt stand on their own. A kawi hopped the wall at T4 ripping one fork tube off. And a SV crashed in T2 early today and broke the frame in half.

Way too many crashes.

Special thanks to Germany for helping with the 3 crashed bikes from the T2 incedent.

I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 11:34 PM
I don't know...

Sportbike: more than one... one less now...
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Some girl was talking about it.

thank you for your job.... hopefully I only need you for low gas or dead batteries...

post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 12:28 AM
Defender of the Innocent

Sportbike: Simon and Garfunkel
Years Riding: over a decade
How you found us: YZFRob

Yeah, Stefan. I told him after i saw him yesterday in the morning:
'dude, i don't wanna see you this weekend'

Tea Palella
Midwest Instructor

SportbikeTrackTime - SportbikeTrackGear - SportbikeTrackGirl

IMMIGracing
CCS #56 - Arlen Ness Racing, Hindle, Silkolene, Suomy, Woodcraft, Vortex, Sharkskinz, PopShadow, TrackdayMag.com, Cyclepath Racing
ChicagoLand Bikers.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 12:48 AM

Sportbike: none...all gone
Years Riding: a while
How you found us: ken

Good Job guys.....
Lets all pray for the injured......
I made it home , all good.

CCS race official
sold the track bike
too slow to ride

"Repairs end December 31. 2011."

OK, it was a tough day.....back open again!!!
Bring me your broken down machines.

Butch @ 630-777-0273

Ytrap #819, forever in my prayers.
Arch, this Bud is for you..
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 07:39 AM

Sportbike: 2007 GSXR 1000
Years Riding: .05 Years
How you found us: RAT

It was a frustrating weekend for me between the weather and the delays. I'm not complaining because it was worse for others who I hope are all ok.

I do have a concern though. I don't understand the whole ambulance on the track while racing thing. There was one parked in the impact zone of turn 1 for a few minutes on Sunday and it seems a red flag would not have ended the world.

CCS AM 454
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 08:43 AM
Midnight Rider

Sportbike: R6 and a Z1000
Years Riding: for a bit
How you found us: random PM on sportbikes.net

Wow, I knew there were a lot of crashes, but I didn't realize the severity. I hope the injured get a speedy recovery.

On a side note, that Kawi crash was spectacular. Looking at the damage/overall incident, it was good to see the rider and spectators were okay. That bike was destroyed.

Fat Pat #728

If you don't like my fire, then don't come around...
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 10:08 AM
Addicted

Sportbike: 09 Kawi ZX6R, 75' Yamaha RD250, '13 KTM 350 SX-F, '05 Yamaha Zuma
Years Riding: Not nearly long enough
How you found us: followed the squids

Send a message via AIM to eE jeremy
So what was the issue that lead to so many serious crashes? Track conditions, rider mentality, heat, or just a bad day for no apparent reason?

Shitty Pass Racing #513
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 10:17 AM
Midnight Rider

Sportbike: R6 and a Z1000
Years Riding: for a bit
How you found us: random PM on sportbikes.net

The track was wet both mornings, but the worst crashes seemed to be after it was dry. Perhaps it wasn't as dry as it looked?? From what I saw, turn 4/5 ate up the most bikes.

Fat Pat #728

If you don't like my fire, then don't come around...
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 10:27 AM

Sportbike: RC31
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: it's a small world afterall

There were different reasons...

The ever-changing conditions were a big part of it. The heat and humidity kept the track greasy. Very very few people practiced in the mornings because it was raining both days, I know I didn't bother. My first time out seeing the track was the warm up laps of my races. Makes for weird surface conditions.

Otherwise, there were injuries caused by target fixation, some by greedy riding, and the worst of them was a bike issue.

Swift Molly's Motor Circus
Michelin Woodcraft Armour Bodies Spyder Leatherworks STT STG

UNAPOLOGETIC FAN OF THINGS THAT ARE OLD AND SLOW
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 10:59 AM
TSR YOU KNOW!

Sportbike: 05 636
Years Riding: lots
How you found us: Long ago via Sportbike.net

Send a message via AIM to QUICKMCSS
There was some serious poor judgement by some of the racers.... I really wish my gopro was still on in heavyweight. There was simply no way the rider that passed me on the brakes was going to even stay on track, its too bad he ended his weekend and Nick McCoy's...

343's crash (travis I think) could have been avoided he got no less then 3 black flags, but was maybe just so lost in the moment that he didn't see them or didnt think the flags were his... And they guys that continued to chase him on the racing line in a cloud of smoke WHY!!! That might be the stupidest thing I have ever seen. I will upload the video from that race tonight when I get home.

All this being said you wont find a bigger advocate for hard racing then myself, but only to a point.

hope that everyone has a speedy recovery. Does anyone have any updates on the crashers?

something has to be done about the run off (or lack of) in T2.

CCS AM 81
Team Squid Racing.
post #11 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 11:12 AM

Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
I went out to race the rookies cup yesterday, was all set to go out when it started raining about 1/4 of the way through the race before mine. that sealed the deal and I didnt go out, maybe if i had actual rain tires id consider it but without them its completely not worth it to me.

-Jason
CCS AM #31
post #12 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 11:15 AM
I don't know...

Sportbike: more than one... one less now...
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Some girl was talking about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUICKMCSS View Post
There was some serious poor judgement by some of the racers.... I really wish my gopro was still on in heavyweight. There was simply no way the rider that passed me on the brakes was going to even stay on track, its too bad he ended his weekend and Nick McCoy's...

343's crash could have been avoided he got no less then 3 black flags, but was maybe just so lost in the moment that he didn't see them or didnt think the flags were his... And they guys that continued to chase him on the racing line in a cloud of smoke WHY!!! That might be the stupidest thing I have ever seen. I will upload the video from that race tonight when I get home.

All this being said you wont find a bigger advocate for hard racing then myself, but only to a point.

hope that everyone has a speedy recovery. Does anyone have any updates on the crashers?

something has to be done about the run off (or lack of) in T2.

I'm with you on this one and I belive in your judgment!

I watched the engine blow up on the front straight, next to a bunch of others and as soon as we saw it we all were just waving arms, the black flag was out and we all were like why didn't he stop... and than even worse, the guys behind pulled out of the smoke and just kept on going, I think two bikes were sideways trying to keep pushing around T1 to keep going... even The squirrel himself said that would have been the end for him trying to stay behind someone...

The last I heard was that one racer had surgery last night, and the other rider involved has broken ribs, but should be able to leave the hospital today.

The racer from the HW race I belive was also kept for observation overnight.

I think the most of the crashes were newer racers like myself, watching races and beeing in races, there are a few things that make me rethink my reactions to flags and signals.
If there is a red flag, get OFF the track ASAP, someone might might need medical attention and the sooner YOU are OFF the track, the faster he/ she will get it! If there is a waving Yellow, something is up, pay attention, DONOT pass, you are fine riding past the incident when concentrating on yourself and not everyone around you...
How much is your health worth? a wooden plate on the wall?!?

Last edited by Germany; 07-25-2011 at 12:30 PM.
post #13 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 11:20 AM

Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10

Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germany View Post
this right here exactly is what drives my decisions when its less than favorable

I can handle a known $ loss easily(entry fees and fuel), ive already spent the money im not getting it back regardless, I dont want to throw a whole lot of ?s into the mix

-Jason
CCS AM #31
post #14 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 11:40 AM
Defender of the Innocent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germany View Post
If there is a red flag, get OFF the track ASAP, someone might might need medical attention and the sooner YOU are OFF the track, the faster he/ she will get it! If there is a waving Yellow, something is up, pay attention, DONOT pass, you are fine riding past the incident when concentrating on yourself and not everyone around you...
That's something that i preach over and over. Getting the ambulance to the injured rider quickly is CRUCIAL.
At a race day, they at least don't wait for the clear track, but at the track day, they do. And i hate it when i see people slow down to snail pace on a red flag. Get the F**k of the track, so people can get helped.

Tea Palella
Midwest Instructor

IMMIGracing
CCS #56 - Arlen Ness Racing, Hindle, Silkolene, Suomy, Woodcraft, Vortex, Sharkskinz, PopShadow, TrackdayMag.com, Cyclepath Racing
ChicagoLand Bikers.com
post #15 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 11:44 AM
Not too Slow Not too Fast

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Falco
Years Riding: Too many
How you found us: ApriliaForum.com

Send a message via Yahoo to RSVMillenian
I had a good weekend, it was my first racing weekend ever. Saturday my first race ever was F-40 and it was red flagged after two laps, up to that point I passed two guys but could not do any better after the restart and finished last.
The second race was much better it was UNSS, battled with Erwin till the last lap, sorry Erv. Sorry Wally we cost you a win.
There were a lot of crashes on Saturday and I hope and wish all injured riders speedy recovery.
Sunday started dry but halfway to the race before the Rookies Cup it started raining. Initially I decided not to race, but changed my mind before the race. The track was soaked with running stream across the track before t5, deep water was at apex of bus stop and at the exit of t3, I mean water everywhere. I passed two guys but got a tankslaper at the exit of t7 that changed everything. I was able to stay up and got another scary fishtail moment in t6, in the next lap my front skid in t5 and I decided to raise my hand and get out of dodge. The tank slapper was scary I ripped the seat foam when it threw me off.

Next race was UNSS, was ready to battle with Erwin again, but could not find speed at all. Rear tire was sliding in t6 everytime.
F-40 was immediately after UNSS, Steve Palella adjusted the air pressure in my rear tire on the grid and made the bike feel much better. it was an OK race, I was catching up two bike battling it out but could never pass them. At the end I finished second to last.
I survived the first weekend and came home safe. Big I mean huge THANKS to Mr. Palella and Supergirl both of you rock, and of course Jason and Erv.

Dejan
CCS very very Amateur #144
post #16 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 11:50 AM

Sportbike: 08 R6 , CRF250R
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: chicagorussionriders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergirl View Post
That's something that i preach over and over. Getting the ambulance to the injured rider quickly is CRUCIAL.
At a race day, they at least don't wait for the clear track, but at the track day, they do. And i hate it when i see people slow down to snail pace on a red flag. Get the F**k of the track, so people can get helped.
there were many noob participated in those races . if someone is getting lapped in a 7 lap race guess what the lapper off pace timing can be.

CCS 787(ex). 08r6
post #17 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 11:53 AM
Resident Slow Guy

Sportbike: Ain't got none!
Years Riding: Since May 21, 2011
How you found us: The intarwebz

Send a message via Yahoo to ENutz
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVMillenian View Post
I had a good weekend, it was my first racing weekend ever. Saturday my first race ever was F-40 and it was red flagged after two laps, up to that point I passed two guys but could not do any better after the restart and finished last.
The second race was much better it was UNSS, battled with Erwin till the last lap, sorry Erv. Sorry Wally we cost you a win.
There were a lot of crashes on Saturday and I hope and wish all injured riders speedy recovery.
Sunday started dry but halfway to the race before the Rookies Cup it started raining. Initially I decided not to race, but changed my mind before the race. The track was soaked with running stream across the track before t5, deep water was at apex of bus stop and at the exit of t3, I mean water everywhere. I passed two guys but got a tankslaper at the exit of t7 that changed everything. I was able to stay up and got another scary fishtail moment in t6, in the next lap my front skid in t5 and I decided to raise my hand and get out of dodge. The tank slapper was scary I ripped the seat foam when it threw me off.

Next race was UNSS, was ready to battle with Erwin again, but could not find speed at all. Rear tire was sliding in t6 everytime.
F-40 was immediately after UNSS, Steve Palella adjusted the air pressure in my rear tire on the grid and made the bike feel much better. it was an OK race, I was catching up two bike battling it out but could never pass them. At the end I finished second to last.
I survived the first weekend and came home safe. Big I mean huge THANKS to Mr. Palella and Supergirl both of you rock, and of course Jason and Erv.
Did we really cause Wally to lose that race? If so, totally my bad Wally. And I had an awesome time battling out with you in both races.

Hey YZFRob, have we met?

<- Erwin

CCS AM #611

"Nigga if you ride, nigga you gon fall!" - Katt Williams

Ashwin Gopal, David Ryan, Baby Ronin Tyler, John George, Chris Kotacka aka 'Arch', Eva Grzegorczyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob, Esq. View Post
image v. substance. Some people want to be motorcyclists, others just want to be seen as motorcyclists.
post #18 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 11:55 AM
Defender of the Innocent

Even fast people go sometimes snail pace. especially on a track day weekend.

oh and they slow down to look what happened. just like on highway. i could kill.......

Tea Palella
Midwest Instructor

IMMIGracing
ChicagoLand Bikers.com
post #19 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Cuddlie as a koala

Quote:
Originally Posted by alocker View Post
I do have a concern though. I don't understand the whole ambulance on the track while racing thing. There was one parked in the impact zone of turn 1 for a few minutes on Sunday and it seems a red flag would not have ended the world.
We used to red flag it when an ambulance was needed on track years ago. But a number of the very vocal racers were bitching that it took too much time especially when theres alot of ambulance calls so they started sending them out on a hot track. Thats why during the school they send them out for a lap during the mock race. You see the white flag with red cross displayed, you should expect the ambulance on track somehere. When you see a stationary yellow, get ready to see it and when you come up the the waving yellow, its going to be there. Personally I dont like it out on a hot track myself. Also if the ground is muddy it wont leave the track surface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eE jeremy View Post
So what was the issue that lead to so many serious crashes? Track conditions, rider mentality, heat, or just a bad day for no apparent reason?
Like what truckstop and Pat said, not alot of people went out for practice, which was wet) and the races were dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUICKMCSS View Post
343's crash could have been avoided he got no less then 3 black flags, but was maybe just so lost in the moment that he didn't see them or didnt think the flags were his... And they guys that continued to chase him on the racing line in a cloud of smoke WHY!!! That might be the stupidest thing I have ever seen. I will upload the video from that race tonight when I get home.
Yes it was totally avoidable IMO. The worker in T7 said he debris flagged waved him off and he looked right at him but kept going. But the problem is, alot of racers ignore flags unless they see them waving. He started puffing around T5 (if I remember).

DAMMIT IF WE DEBRIS FLAG WAVE YOU OFF, GET THE FUCK OFF THE RACE LINE IMMEDIATELY AND PULL OFF THE TRACK ASAFP AT THE CLOSEST CORNERSTATION. Theres something wrong with your bike thats dangerous.Quite honestly I wish Race Director would just start fining riders who ignore the flags.

As for T2, I put my feelings up in the ccsforum about it. Every time I hear, "bike down in 2" on the radio I cringe. I could count on probably one hand how many crashes there didnt result in an ambulance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotx1 View Post
I went out to race the rookies cup yesterday, was all set to go out when it started raining about 1/4 of the way through the race before mine. that sealed the deal and I didnt go out, maybe if i had actual rain tires id consider it but without them its completely not worth it to me.
You have to do what you feel is right for you. I've skipped races because I didnt feel comfortable.

Last edited by YZFRob; 08-04-2011 at 01:50 PM.
post #20 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 11:56 AM
Defender of the Innocent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENutz View Post
Did we really cause Wally to lose that race? If so, totally my bad Wally. And I had an awesome time battling out with you in both races.

Hey YZFRob, have we met?
You don't wanna meet him.
He's the one who picks up your bike from the track, after you crashed it.

Tea Palella
Midwest Instructor

IMMIGracing
ChicagoLand Bikers.com
post #21 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 11:57 AM
Resident Slow Guy

Quote:
Oh. Then we've met.

<- Erwin

CCS AM #611

Ashwin Gopal, David Ryan, Baby Ronin Tyler, John George, Chris Kotacka aka 'Arch', Eva Grzegorczyk

Quote:
image v. substance. Some people want to be motorcyclists, others just want to be seen as motorcyclists.
post #22 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Cuddlie as a koala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENutz View Post
Hey YZFRob, have we met?
If I picked you up with the the crash truck, yep. Were you pitted by the T5 back door?

post #23 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 11:59 AM
Resident Slow Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by YZFRob View Post
If I picked you up with the the crash truck, yep. Were you pitted by the T5 back door?
Yup.

<- Erwin

CCS AM #611

Quote:
post #24 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 12:03 PM

Sportbike: RC31
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: it's a small world afterall

This all reminds me, I'd like to point out that it's a courtesy to riders who fall down, to not post names and details on forums and on Facebook etc. unless they give the OK or do it themselves or close friend/family. I mean, details will come out, but some people don't want that strewn across the interwebs.

Swift Molly's Motor Circus
Michelin Woodcraft Armour Bodies Spyder Leatherworks STT STG

UNAPOLOGETIC FAN OF THINGS THAT ARE OLD AND SLOW
post #25 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Cuddlie as a koala

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckstop View Post
this all reminds me, i'd like to point out that it's a courtesy to riders who fall down, to not post names and details on forums and on facebook etc. Unless they give the ok or do it themselves or close friend/family. I mean, details will come out, but some people don't want that strewn across the interwebs.
+1.

post #26 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Cuddlie as a koala

Quote:
Just be glad I havent picked you up yet.

Step one, remove constrictive leathers.....

post #27 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 12:09 PM

Sportbike: R6
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: Sportbike Track Time

a tick of a rough run for some folks...very sorry to hear that.

CCS is a good race org and I hate to see a rough weekend for anyone and everyone that supports kevin and racing

Nick Amelio
Northern Division Director and Gunshow provider
SPORTBIKETRACKTIME.COM

[email protected]
post #28 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 12:17 PM
Resident Slow Guy

Semi wet track conditions are the absolute worst conditions to ride in. I would rather it be totally dry or totally wet. At least you know what you're dealing with.

<- Erwin

CCS AM #611

Quote:
post #29 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 12:59 PM

Sportbike: SV 650, FZR 400, RM 125
Years Riding: Since 1990
How you found us: Nesba!

Totally dry after the wet, still isn't as good as dry with rubber and heat in the track. Traction is finite. It varies by weather, time of day, time of year and surface. It is what it is. You have work with what you have. There were times this weekend where 2-5 sucked, but the rest was much better.

I've been on track when it was raining in turn 3, but no where else.

Greg K.
STT Staff Member
CCS Expert #12
MSF Instructor

VinylSaurusRex.com - Cyclepath Racing - Safety First Racing - SMR Components - Apexjunkie.com - Yamaha Champions Riding School
"If you're headed toward trees, I'm guessing your on the wrong line." - S. Russell

Last edited by gkotlin; 07-25-2011 at 01:06 PM.
post #30 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 01:10 PM

Sportbike: depends
Years Riding: long enough

Here is what I posted on the CCS board

I am one of the fortunate people who have crashed there and been able to walk away from it. The only solution is to move that armco and push it way back. I love Blackhawk but that wall is the most dangerous one on any track I have been on. How many times does a helicopter need to come before something is changed?

I'm assuming the reason is cost. Are there any other reasons? The amount of money that wall was has caused in medical bills has to be staggering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode