Post BHF w/ Motovid July 21st - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

MotoVid.com This forum is for discussion about Motovid events.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Resident Slow Guy

Sportbike: Ain't got none!
Years Riding: Since May 21, 2011
How you found us: The intarwebz

Send a message via Yahoo to ENutz
Post BHF w/ Motovid July 21st

Awesome day at the track yesterday and couldn't have spent it with a better group of people.

It was my first time ever at Blackcawk so I was a VERY timid during the morning sessions and almost lost it on the session before lunch. I thought the track was kind of narrow for my liking as I was used to the 40 ft wide tracks of ACC, Gingerman, and Road Atlanta. But I did manage to get comfortable in the afternoon session and progressively got better as the day went on. I was rockin it on my last two sessions and was having a blast.

Turns 7 and 1 fucked with me A LOT especially during the morning session. Whenever I hit those bumps on turn 1 coming off the front straight, I could feel the back end skipping as I was leaned over.

Turns 4 and 5, I believe they call it the 'bus stop' was by far my mostest favoritest turns of the whole track. Coming out of turn 5 is where I almost lost it as I ran it too tight and almost hit the grass. It was an ass puckering moment for sure.

Afterwards we drove straight to CiP after the track and had dinner with Steve and Marr. All in all it was a glorious day and I'm even more happy that I got out of there with my bike in one piece!

Steve and Marr, thanks for letting me pit with you guys. That spot you guys had next to the cafe was fucking primo. Best spot in the paddock by far.

Chad, good meetin and ridin with ya bud. Hope to see you out at more of these events.

Greg, good seein you again.

Yesterday was my warm up for Barber, which I will be traveling to tomorrow morning. Can't wait!

<- Erwin

CCS AM #611

"Nigga if you ride, nigga you gon fall!" - Katt Williams

Ashwin Gopal, David Ryan, Baby Ronin Tyler, John George, Chris Kotacka aka 'Arch', Eva Grzegorczyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob, Esq. View Post
image v. substance. Some people want to be motorcyclists, others just want to be seen as motorcyclists.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 10:57 AM
G2G

Sportbike: It changes everyday
Years Riding: since 1991
How you found us: Ur mom

Well I had fun ONCE I got there but seeing I pulled an all nighter trying to get to Blackhawk kinda sucked to say the least.

Long story short wheel bearing on my enclosed trailer took a crap and was stuck on the side of 290 near 294 from 8pm till 3:30 am. Only way I got back on the road was because of Pilot Also Ryan made an apperance in the middle of the night to bring some tools . After finding a 24hour autozone near Chicago Cyle Center we where able to peacemeal the trailer back together to get me home (so we though) LOL We got a new outer and inner bearing and also an inner seal. Whet we where missing was an outte seal. Well Mcgyver (Piot) had a bright idea that maybe the mouse pad from the computer at Autozone would work with a hose clamp. Well next thing you know this is what we ended up with.

After filling it all up with grease Pilot said we would be able to make it home so the next day I could go get teh right parts I needed to make the trailer 100%. Went home and washed up as I was covered in dirt grime and grease after trying to knock off the race from the old bearing off the axle for 2 hours ugh When I get home I felt the bearing to see if they where hot and they where ice cold. So I figure we head up to BHF and check the bearings one we got on 90 near SOW. So sure enough 3:30 in the morning on no sleep we start to head up there. We had no issues with teh wwheel and everything was perfect for the trip up. Thank you for all the texts and phone calls for the help I really appretiate it.

While at BHF I got to ride a friends bike, someone who I have know for a while and would trust with my bike. He is an old time racer and Leaning Curves instructor Jason DAmico. I have always wanted to ride a full on 2 stroke race bike and I got my chance. Even thogh I was a little big for it I had a blast!!!! I was afraid to wad it up so I did not ride it fast I just putted around. Oh man did I learn alot about thinem in one session. Now I know how I got such a lead on these guys when I raced them. 2 strokes suck from taking off from a stop. LOL One thing I would like to get use to is the turn in. They just fall right over and this kinda spooked me. I did not want to fall over on his bikeor while CRing. I would love to have a chance to really whick it up on my own terms and see what I can do. I could tell each lap I got quicker even though I was just cruising around nad I was smiling the whole way. Also laughing as I could not beleive my 6 foot 2 215 pound ass could fit on it as Jason is about 5 foot tall.

Also i got to meet Chad a newer member and got to pit with Enuts and Jon. It was a great day with I think no flags at all. I know for a fact no red flags and I know in int. there where no yellow flags.

Jon's bike

Marr filing up

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 11:15 AM

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: some guy at the IBM credit union told me about it

I meant to post this up.
Great day!
Thanks to the Motovid crew! Everything went perfectly!
I think I am going to make myself more of a regular at your days...

Blackhawk has always spooked me, but I am starting to see why people like it so much a little more every time I go (this was my 2nd full day there) I had done LCR there back in 2004

I loaned the Redline guys my lens for the day and from the looks of the pics I saw it looked like that worked out really well. My buddy Dave bought pics, hopefully I will have a CD from Nick in a few days.

I have a lot of video from my front camera, but I left the wrong card at home (I upload videos for all my friends)

A HUGE THANK YOU TO CHAD for loaning me your rear stand!
I didn't load out this time as I was at work, and my friends guy loaded 3 front stands

I will post some videos up later
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 11:30 AM

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650

I have this video from my buddy Marks camera -
It was in the Orange I group - One of the sessions before lunch.

Not sure if anyone else on here was in that group.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 11:52 AM

Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G View Post
Well I had fun ONCE I got there but seeing I pulled an all nighter trying to get to Blackhawk kinda sucked to say the least.

Long story short wheel bearing on my enclosed trailer took a crap and was stuck on the side of 290 near 294 from 8pm till 3:30 am. Only way I got back on the road was because of Pilot Also Ryan made an apperance in the middle of the night to bring some tools . After finding a 24hour autozone near Chicago Cyle Center we where able to peacemeal the trailer back together to get me home (so we though) LOL We got a new outer and inner bearing and also an inner seal. Whet we where missing was an outte seal. Well Mcgyver (Piot) had a bright idea that maybe the mouse pad from the computer at Autozone would work with a hose clamp. Well next thing you know this is what we ended up with.

After filling it all up with grease Pilot said we would be able to make it home so the next day I could go get teh right parts I needed to make the trailer 100%. Went home and washed up as I was covered in dirt grime and grease after trying to knock off the race from the old bearing off the axle for 2 hours ugh When I get home I felt the bearing to see if they where hot and they where ice cold. So I figure we head up to BHF and check the bearings one we got on 90 near SOW. So sure enough 3:30 in the morning on no sleep we start to head up there. We had no issues with teh wwheel and everything was perfect for the trip up. Thank you for all the texts and phone calls for the help I really appretiate it.
you know youre addicted to track when.....

Im amazed you pulled it to blackhawk, how did the mousepad hubcap hold up?
Im still tired from being out there till 330, I got home a little before 4am, washed my hands and arms and passed out. the alarm going off at 6 was not a welcome sound

sidenote to everyone... it seems to be the norm to forget about trailer tire/bearing maintenance

start checking your tires for proper pressure and wear condition, changing flats isnt fun on the side of the road,
bearings are even more easily forgotten... they should be at least regreased yearly, some hubs , like steves, have a grease zerk fittin that makes that task take 30 seconds, for closed hubs bearing buddies are available, they replace the closed hub cap with a spring loaded grease reservoir and zerk fitting that allows you to add grease quickly and easily and it keeps pushing grease into the bearings. generally, a set of bearings and seals will run about 35 dollars for a single axle reailer, and I make it a habit to save an old set of bearings to keep as spares in the truck just in case. this turned out to pay off big since the autozone only had 1 of the bearings we needed to fix teh trailer, one of mine happened to fit

steve, a new axle and hubs will run you about 200 from the northern tool catalog, I think this is an exact replacement as well,possible where covenant got it from to build the trailer

-Jason
CCS AM #31
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 12:04 PM
Addicted

Sportbike: 09 Kawi ZX6R, 75' Yamaha RD250, '13 KTM 350 SX-F, '05 Yamaha Zuma
Years Riding: Not nearly long enough
How you found us: followed the squids

Send a message via AIM to eE jeremy
Jason you should really change your name to hero.

A side note, how hard would it be to machine wheel spacers with a little lip on the end to make them "captive" spacers so I'm not constantly chasing these damn things all over my garage

Shitty Pass Racing #513
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 12:11 PM

Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
hero... nah, just doin what i could to helpout a fellow addict

pretty easy, just need dimensions. Im busy at my desk at work though so its harder for me to get out on a lathe, Ive been thinkin of having some quoted from one of my tool shops they probably wouldnt be too pricey
if it were me id get em hard anodized too

-Jason
CCS AM #31

Last edited by Pilotx1; 07-22-2010 at 12:19 PM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 12:13 PM
Shhhhhh.....

Sportbike: K6 GSXR600, 2012 Harley-Davidson XL1200N
Years Riding: I'm old. It's been a long time.
How you found us: google

It was a great day, my second official track day. I got a lot faster thanks, in part, to Kevin Hanson's sag settings on my suspension (and the galfer lines. Oh yeah, and I'm looking forward to the fork rebuild this week), listening to Steve about track lines at BHF, following and watching ENutz and a few tidbits about passing liter bikes on a 600 from John.

I learned a few things:
Sunshine is fast.
ENutz is mellower in person than he is on this board.
G2G knows a lot of shit.
JRSMail likes to mock me, it seems.
iamnotgreg lets other people load his bike and gear.
Going in to the bus stop without front brakes is frightening (thanks, John, for the Loctite).
Riding around more than half of the track with your left arm up and no front brakes is tiring.

Steve and Marr, Thanks for letting me in on the pit spot as well. It couldn't have been better than to hang out with that group of people all day.

John, I'll mod up my knock off Baxley for next time. It'll be better. You'll see.

I'll be out at as many track days as I can get days off. It's just too much fun no to.

CCS Amateur #133
K6 GSXR600
2012 Harley-Davidson XL1200N
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 12:15 PM
Shhhhhh.....

Sportbike: K6 GSXR600, 2012 Harley-Davidson XL1200N
Years Riding: I'm old. It's been a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eE jeremy View Post
Jason you should really change your name to hero.
Seriously. Thank you for getting Steve and Marr back online. Having them around all day helped me out!

CCS Amateur #133
K6 GSXR600
2012 Harley-Davidson XL1200N
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadadams View Post
iamnotgreg lets other people load his bike and gear.

this was the first time. I couldn't take an extra day off work to do it a day early

I wish we all could have firefighter schedules .. 24 hour shifts knock out 40 hour work weeks really quick.
How cool would that be?
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 12:23 PM
Addicted

Sportbike: 09 Kawi ZX6R, 75' Yamaha RD250, '13 KTM 350 SX-F, '05 Yamaha Zuma
Years Riding: Not nearly long enough
How you found us: followed the squids

Send a message via AIM to eE jeremy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotx1 View Post

pretty easy, just need dimensions. Im busy at my desk at work though so its harder for me to get out on a lathe, Ive been thinkin of having some quoted from one of my tool shops they probably wouldnt be too pricey
if it were me id get em hard anodized too
It's not just this one time, you help people out all the time dude

Shitty Pass Racing #513
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 01:32 PM
I don't know...

Sportbike: more than one... one less now...
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Some girl was talking about it.

Quote:
Yes, Jason is a good guy!

filing a pedition to change his screen name to HERO!

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 02:08 PM

Sportbike: A weed wacker
Years Riding: Just started today as a matter of fact..
How you found us: A dream I had once

Send a message via MSN to JRSMAIL
It was all good. Steve thanks for letting me ride your cheater bike (1000). Leave it in 3rd gear and roll up to the next person.

Chad, U kept at it with the bike chock, was not till the end of the day and you got it.

Jon
MSF Instructor

<---- Useless

Always Stand For What You Believe In... Even If Means You Stand Alone...
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 02:37 PM

Sportbike: A weed wacker
Years Riding: Just started today as a matter of fact..
How you found us: A dream I had once

Send a message via MSN to JRSMAIL
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotgreg View Post
I have this video from my buddy Marks camera -
It was in the Orange I group - One of the sessions before lunch.

Not sure if anyone else on here was in that group.
The video has me at the .32 second mark and again at the 8:13 passing on outside of seven.

Greg I believe I was chasing you for video, I'll have to look through my stuff. I know they cleaned out my card so not sure if I have, but will look.

Jon
MSF Instructor

<---- Useless

Always Stand For What You Believe In... Even If Means You Stand Alone...

Last edited by JRSMAIL; 07-22-2010 at 02:50 PM.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSMAIL View Post
The video has me at the .32 second mark and again at the 8:13 passing on outside of seven.

Greg I believe I was chasing you for video, I'll have to look through my stuff. I know they cleaned out my card so not sure if I have, but will look.
Funny that would be you - look at 8:07 - black aprilia blue leathers

that'd be me

oh wait
I see you edited it - I was posting up based on the email notification

So you knew that was me!

You were following me for video, and I was following him video taping him
That's kinda funny!
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 03:45 PM
Certified TRACK WHORE

Sportbike: 2008 R6 Race, 2009 R6 Street, 2005 GSXR Track
Years Riding: hmmmmmmm
How you found us: Word is in da streets(SuperGirl)

Quote:
I learned a few things:
Sunshine is fast
Awww Shux

Quote:
Seriously. Thank you for getting Steve and Marr back online. Having them around all day helped me out!
Our pleasure! You are good peeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotx1 View Post

Quote:
THIS!!! ^^^^^
You have a very big heart Jason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germany View Post
Yes, Jason is a good guy!
filing a pedition to change his screen name to HERO!
REP!

CCS #55 - Proudly sponsored by Farrell Performance, Motovid, Southeast Sales, Vortex, U.S. Chrome

MOTOVID.COM STAFF: CR(Control Rider) + Rider Clinic Instructor

MSF Certified Instructor/Rider Coach
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 03:53 PM

Sportbike: nada
Years Riding: 18
How you found us: No idea

Send a message via AIM to Nexus
Sounded like a good time!

G2G was that a 125? Fak I would love to ride a 2 stroke and just have someone else maintain it
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 05:32 PM

Sportbike: '12 KTM 150XC
Years Riding: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENutz View Post
It was my first time ever at Blackcawk so I was a VERY timid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENutz View Post
Yesterday was my warm up for Barber, which I will be traveling to tomorrow morning. Can't wait!
You're gonna fuckin love Barber man!

I'm sure you've probably been checking out youtube vids already but here's one of my favs for learning that track. I studied this vid over and over before going and then made sure to get behind a couple CRs during the first couple of sessions in the morning. By the end of the day Saturday I was feeling pretty comfortable.

Just don't get too confident and think you can ride like Mr. Schwantz or before you know it you'll be tossing your shit down T1 in the session after lunch on Sunday.

-Chris
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Resident Slow Guy

Sportbike: Ain't got none!
Years Riding: Since May 21, 2011
How you found us: The intarwebz

Send a message via Yahoo to ENutz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hman675 View Post

You're gonna fuckin love Barber man!

I'm sure you've probably been checking out youtube vids already but here's one of my favs for learning that track. I studied this vid over and over before going and then made sure to get behind a couple CRs during the first couple of sessions in the morning. By the end of the day Saturday I was feeling pretty comfortable.

Just don't get too confident and think you can ride like Mr. Schwantz or before you know it you'll be tossing your shit down T1 in the session after lunch on Sunday.

Rep for being the only one to catch that!

Oh and thanks for posting that vid Chris.

<- Erwin

CCS AM #611

"Nigga if you ride, nigga you gon fall!" - Katt Williams

Ashwin Gopal, David Ryan, Baby Ronin Tyler, John George, Chris Kotacka aka 'Arch', Eva Grzegorczyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob, Esq. View Post
image v. substance. Some people want to be motorcyclists, others just want to be seen as motorcyclists.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode