Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

should have stuck to dirtbikes

6K views 113 replies 53 participants last post by  Maynard 
#1 ·
today I got pulled over going 87 in a 30 on the romeoville frontage roads just north of 55N off of weber rd. I was riding with joe and I was screwed by the time I saw the cop clocking about a mile into the road. I'm glad they let go joe free though. I was arrested and my bike got impounded. I imagine its going to be a few hundred to get the bike out. Any idea how they transport the bike? I hope they don't blow the fork seals on it. What kind of penalties am I facing? I have a bad history already.

#31 ·
the ticket says nothing about wreckless driving, and I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but there was no traffic in front of me and no oncoming cars at the time. When I think of wreckless driving I think of weaving in and out of traffic and lane splitting. I can't decide if its worth chancing without a lawyer though. The thing is, I have been on supervision for the last year and 9 months, had 3 months to go for it to be clear. I came off a 1 months suspension and haven't been pulled over in 21 months since, but still fall short of clearing the supervision period.

#34 ·
Doesnt matter if anyone else was on the road at the time. You can get reckless (no 'w' in reckless) for putting yourself in danger while driving.

Since you were on supervision, I seriosuly doubt any lawyer will help keep your license. Not totally sure on that (WI doesnt have supervision), but thats the way I take how it works.

#33 ·
I got 91mph ticket once told the judge I had a moment of indecreshion and would he please let it go ?

He did 30 days probation no class and a fifty doller fine

I think he was taken back by my honesty .After a day of listening to lame ass excuesses he heard every thing had to say.

#38 ·
First nice Saturday of 09 and you were doing almost 3 times the legal limit:confused What were you thinking:confused Its the same every spring, first truly nice day, the cops are out as thick as thieves. It is easy money for them.

#39 ·
Dude....

"Other: Driving ≥40 MPH over the speed limit, Class A misdemeanor. '625 ILCS 5/11-601.5"

You were either.....

Charged with Speeding

or

Arrested for a misdemeanor

It makes a big difference.

If you were "just" issued a ticket, the cop already gave you a break.

Lawyer up, and make it a good one, you will live with this for years either way.

Sorry to say it...... Tom

Source...
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/enforce/speedlaws501/toc/ilspeed.pdf

#42 ·
That's the one I got... I was going fast. Cop locked on at 111 in a 55 zone. I was issued two tickets, one for speeding 111 in a 55, then the other was the 40 or over misdemeanor.

I lawyered up and was in court within a couple weeks. This was back in 2000 sometime when the 40 or over law was just put into effect, the judge laughed at me for being in a misdemeanor courtroom with a traffic violation. Once he figured it out and spoke to me, I was honest and straight forward.

There's no avoiding this one. Manup, grab your ankles and be prepared to go without a license.

#41 ·
if this was dupage or cook, i got a lawyer for you to use. Alot of people have used him, and he knows his shit, and if u use my name, he will give you a discount. let me know if u want to use him.

#43 ·
If you haven't had any other traffic issues then yes you would have 55 points, but from reading it sounds like you have something else.

So add the 55 points to what ever else you have and that will be what could happen. First timers have a chance to avoid the max but if your a regular then chances are your screwed.

Take what everyone else is saying and get a lawyer its going to cost you.

The cost of them taking your bike alone is going to rape you. its something like 130 for towing, then storage fees of like 60 bucks or something a day and chances are you court date is with in 30 days of your arrest which will add up pretty fast.

factor in lawyer fees, court cost, ticket etc etc you looking at a couple grand as some said

#52 ·
all this get a "good" lawyer stuff..
my recommendation is find a lawyer who does this day in day out and is friends with the judge...
there isn't a lot of skill in this one.. hiring a lawyer who is on a first name good friends basis with the judge goes a long way towards a nod and a don't do it again
It's a racket judges are all lawyers as well.. Just like anything else they deal with their friends easier than others

Not sure how you go about finding that lawyer.. my situation made it a bit easier on me to do it... Ask around

#54 ·
i got pulled over 30+ a few years back. it was a grand after lawyer fees and fines and all i got was a month's worth of supervision. of course this was in a car and i haven't had a speeding ticket in years. needless to say you'll be spending a bit of money.

#55 · (Edited)
today I got pulled over going 87 in a 30 on the romeoville frontage roads just north of 55N off of weber rd. What kind of penalties am I facing? I have a bad history already.
I have a good lawyer you can use. PM me if you want his info. I think he would charge you about $750. I think $500 is the minimum fine on the speeding. You might be able to get the other tickets dropped.

If you are on supervision for another offense, this could really be a problem.

#59 ·
Funny your answer for advice was on CLSB the whole time

#61 · (Edited)
Nice, awesome first post!

130 that's it? pooooosie :)

#67 ·
it only cost me 100 bucks to get my car out of impound from a DUI, not sure about speeding tickets, the cops usually let the towing company keep the impounded bikes/cars until you go and get it. the longer they have it, the more it will cost to get it out. good luck in court.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.