Movies and TV just like the title says

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Google

3D Glasses for your Movie viewing!

Love it or hate it, 3D is here to stay it seems.

Ok, why buy aftermarket 3D glasses when they give you some "free" at the theater?

Several reasons (completely ignoring the fact that the Free glasses aren't free since you're paying a premium for 3D). The 3D glasses they give you are made to last you 2-3 hours, then be dumped into a recycling bin. The lenses are cheap plastic film, not really optical grade by any stretch. The film is also not a neutral grey, which would at least keep the colors of the movie you're viewing accurate (though darker). And lastly, they are darker!

I've tried two sets of 3D glasses so far, and a friend has let me play with his set. These are all REALD format 3D glasses, and do not work with IMAX 3D movies as they use a different filtering system to project their 3D. All these glasses will work at any typical theater that's sporting the ReadD logo.

Rumor has it that RealD might be available in home sometime soon! That means no tethering yourself to your TV!

The Glasses

The more expensive set I bought was the Gunnar Optiks Phenom which were pimped for the release of Tron Legacy in 3D. These are $100 a pair, and made of lightweight aluminum and true optics grade lenses.

The higher end Midnight version of the Gunnar Optiks glasses even have an Anti-Glare coating.

These glasses are stylish, light, comfortable, and the image quality looking through them is GREAT! I did however sense a slight tint to them that didn't seem to my eyes a neutral grey. Add to that, the sand-blasted aluminum finish actually showed a hint of reflection. They are however the lightest (least amount of) tint of any of the 3D glasses I've tried.

While the Gunnar are great glasses, I wish they were more wrap around, and at the price I would expect them to come with the Anti-Glare/Anti-Reflection coating.

The glasses I'm currently sporting are the Polaroid Diva model. They address most of my issues with the Gunnar glasses by being a deep wrap around style.

These were only $30 purchased at Amazon. They had several different styles ranging from the Ray Ban looking, to ones that can cover your normal glasses for those of you with prescription glasses. Ignoring the name, I went for the wrap-arounds.

These are a little darker than the Gunnar, but addressed the glare issues by wraping around my face well, and are decently light enough to not leave a dent on my nose after 2 hours in a theater. They came with a semi-hardshell case and microfiber cloth. The tint on these seemed more neutral grey than the Gunnar (which are supposed to be superiorly neutral grey). These were clearly worth the $30 I paid for them, and they made last nights movie much more enjoyable than with the throw-away glasses they give out. I'm looking forward to the animated 3D features coming out this year!

Lastly, a friend of mine bought a pair (before the Polaroid were readily available) from some online store that sold nothing but RealD glasses. They were $32 shipped, and are decent quality glasses for made in China. I felt my Polaroid ones were a bit sharper, but his were pretty decent quality.

Just today I noticed other stores are now carrying 3D glasses. Or at least what it appears is that you can get most of their styles with 3D lenses.
Something like this:

http://www.look3d.com/

http://www.dimensionaloptics.com/Sea...02000300000000

All in all, I'm sticking with the Polaroid RealD glasses, they do what I need, and were only $30 shipped from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...+RealD&x=0&y=0

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com

Last edited by Lonely Raven; 01-20-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 09:41 AM

Sportbike: triumph speed four
How you found us: fell asleep on my softail and woke up here

My prob is that i wear glasses... I need to get a pair of 3d glasses to clip on to my specs, or a pair of those senior citizen things that fit over them.

visor down
nesba #608
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 09:45 AM

Sportbike: CBR1000RR
Years Riding: Been around the block with training wheels
How you found us: Folks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramenboy... View Post
My prob is that i wear glasses... I need to get a pair of 3d glasses to clip on to my specs, or a pair of those senior citizen things that fit over them.
You're in luck.

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/10/20...on-3d-glasses/
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
The Halo hides my Horns

They make frames to go over your prescription glasses.

http://www.amazon.com/Polaroid-Premi...5538259&sr=8-3

As well as decent quality clip ons...though I've not used them since I don't wear prescription.

http://www.amazon.com/3D-Glasses-Cir...5538330&sr=8-2

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
The Halo hides my Horns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone in 3 View Post
Samsung and Sony are really pimping the 3D. And the future technology will allow ReadD glasses to be used at home.

Unfortunately, I'd probably have to get a new projector...and I just installed a new bulb on my projector to get me through the next 2 years of regular use!

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 10:08 AM

Sportbike: triumph speed four
How you found us: fell asleep on my softail and woke up here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
Suweet!! Gotta get these ordered! Nice find!

Mateen, thanx but my regular glasses didn't cost aa hundred bucks

visor down
nesba #608
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 10:46 AM
yo quiero su taco

Sportbike: Honda CBR 954 blk/slvr
Years Riding: 10 years
How you found us: They found me. Follow the white rabbit.

So does anyone make glasses that work on 3D imax? I think you address this in my thread earlier in the week, but I wasn't sure what you were saying.

"includes 10 used-car dealers or auto repair shops, 11 liquor stores and bars--two of which advertise lingerie fashion shows and a third billed as a "gentlemen's club"--three cut-rate motels and one trailer park. The squat, brick municipal building is next to a currency exchange and a few steps from an adult video store. The bars open at 10 a.m. and close at 6:30 a.m."

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Something must be fishy...I am going to go poke around in the back end..
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
The Halo hides my Horns

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteSeatEnvy View Post
So does anyone make glasses that work on 3D imax? I think you address this in my thread earlier in the week, but I wasn't sure what you were saying.
Sorry, that was probably a bit wordy.

I've seen a couple aftermarket IMAX 3D glasses, and many that *said* they were IMAX, but I wouldn't trust them...but the truth is very few are made since the IMAX is considered inferior to the newer RealD and Dolby 3D.

IMAX is harder on your eyes because it's 3D is designed to POP OUT in your face...which forces you to switch your focus back and forth, near and far. It's neat, but it's not what these movies were designed for (at least current movies). At least unless it's an IMAX specific (IMAX Cameras etc) movie.

If you're dead set on IMAX 3D, I'm sure I can find something aftermarket for you. Give me a little bit to research.

Last edited by Lonely Raven; 01-20-2011 at 10:55 AM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 10:58 AM
yo quiero su taco

So I just saw Tron Legacy a few weeks ago at the Seven Bridges Imax. Was that a reald, dolby 3d, or imax 3d?

"includes 10 used-car dealers or auto repair shops, 11 liquor stores and bars--two of which advertise lingerie fashion shows and a third billed as a "gentlemen's club"--three cut-rate motels and one trailer park. The squat, brick municipal building is next to a currency exchange and a few steps from an adult video store. The bars open at 10 a.m. and close at 6:30 a.m."

Quote:
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
The Halo hides my Horns

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteSeatEnvy View Post
So I just saw Tron Legacy a few weeks ago at the Seven Bridges Imax. Was that a reald, dolby 3d, or imax 3d?
That was an "IMAX Experience". It's modified into IMAX format, and not a true IMAX filmed 3D movie.

I'm really not finding any aftermarket IMAX glasses. It looks like everyone is going RealD now.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 11:05 AM
yo quiero su taco

Ok cool, thanks for the info.

Quote:
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
The Halo hides my Horns

I just found a new site that has circular polarized lenses. These were shown off at the latest CES show, and I believe they are a patented design. I might get a pair for Brianne and see how they compare to the Polaroids I have now.

http://www.mvo3d.com/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode