Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Ultimate fighter 9

1K views 46 replies 13 participants last post by  dub shih 
#1 ·
Anyone watch the premiere last night? Looks like it's going to be a good season. I'm thinking the Brits are going to put a hurting on the American team.

#3 ·
Yea, love how they start the seasons now... straight fighting.

In general wasn't that impressed, but I was glad to see someone finally doing leg locks.

A lot of Japanese fighters do it... not sure why American fighters don't either. It's probably one of the fast ways to get someone to tap.

#15 ·
A lot of newer MMA guys from the US have a wrestling background. That is why GNP is popular with new people. If guys came up through BJJ/Submission Grappling routes doing heel hooks might be more popular. From a training standpoint heel hooks are not practiced much in sparring. It's an easy way to pop your friends knee :p

The US team will be pretty stacked as well. Almost everyone on there is affiliated with a big team and/or has many fights. The latest casting calls drew a lot of people but it almost seems most of the guys picked were associated with a current UFC fighter and/or his team.

#8 ·
Here's my issue, the Brits are bringing their TOP fighters. Typically, many of the Americans are just starting out. We'll see, but it seems like this may be a bit of a lopsided affair.

...did you see the worst coliflower ear of all time!?

#13 ·
zuffa clearly wants to develop some prospects that could turn into stars in the Euro market. what better way to do that than to match them up against mediocre talent on the ultimate fighter? Look at Bisping for christ's sake, he's one win away from a title shot and the best fighter he's beaten is Chris Leben.

#9 ·
it was good, the thing is how can you say the brits are gonna be better than the us with out seeing the us team. if the biggest camp in the uk is the wolfslair im guessing they are not gonna do that good cuz bisbing is not really that good and he is the top fighter there.

#16 ·
the fact that Junie Browning's brother is on the cast says it all. not sure how much I'll even watch of the show this year. might try to catch the last 15 mins of each episode so I can watch the fights and skip all the other drama.

some exciting fights coming up in the spring/summer in the UFC/WEC though:

Evans/Machida
Brown/Faber 2
Guida/Sanchez
Cerrone/Varner 2
GSP/Alves
Lesnar/Mir
Randy/Nog
Penn/Florian

#30 ·
Machida is my favorite...well GSP is up there too. I want them the two to fight.

If you watched the Penn fight, between round you might remember the black corner worker giving him a chest, arms, and shoulder massage. Supposedly, he was applying some sort of grease intentional or not I dont know. I believe Penn or someone filed a complaint and then on the commercials between UF9 they made reference to it.

#37 ·
Note that Serra and one other person filed the same complaints against GSP when the lost. So this is not the first time the subject has come up with GSP.

I'm a fan both fighter and can tell you that even the slightest amount of jell/grease or whatever will render a lot of grappling/jiu jitsu useless. It's different then just some dude sweating.

#46 ·
+100000 on that, those fuggin brothers give the sport a bad name.
They both are just hillbillies. If i was that one guy he slammed the egg into. I would have knocked his teeth in his throat and turned to the camera and said sorry to Dana.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.