HELP!!! 97 gixxer 600 wont run right. - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Performance and Tech Use of this forum is designed for performance discussion, as well as “help me fix it” questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 97 GSXR 600,03 GSXR-1000
Years Riding: Not long enough
How you found us: google

HELP!!! 97 gixxer 600 wont run right.

Yesterday I took my bike out and it was lacking power bad. When I pulled in the clutch it died and would not restart. Until it cooled down then I had to jump it because I killed the battery trying to start it. Today it started fine and warmed up fine and power was good but when it reached about 170 degrees it started to run like shit and would die at idle unless I gave it the gas. As long as I have had it, it never liked starting when it was warmed up I would have to give it gas to get it to start. Dealer told me that could be because of a bad battery now they say it could be electrical. I have not had them look at the bike because I'm not rich lol. This sucks I have only put about 900 miles since i got it. I have only had it about 3 months. The last time I rode it I took it 160 miles and had no problems. Can someone give me advice please. (And no I did not mess with the exhaust)

"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed and that they are entitled to freedom of person, freedom of religion, freedom of property, and freedom of press." Thomas Jefferson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 07:22 PM
^^^Bad for your hearing

Sportbike: 2007 gsxr 600
Years Riding: Long enough to know theres alot more i have to learn in this sport
How you found us: heard from a member

Send a message via AIM to streetracin1820
I am slowly realizing most Suzuki dealers don't got a clue diagnoses wise and only a small handful k.ow what their doing. Just my 2 cents as to what your issue is.....I ain't got a clue good luck dude

Everyone needs a healthy way to relax, mine Church, and two wheels, a stretch of winding road, and a pipe loud enough to give me headaches and make squirrels explode. (Fixed curtousey of PWRMAD)

Nothing is impossible the second we say ill try your already admiting you can be defeated, and the second you say i cant or its to hard youve already failed.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 07:37 PM

Sportbike: Slow
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: a real person

Sounds like you need a compression test on each cylinder and a leak down test. A bike running like shit when it gets hot typically means loss of compression. You may want to shop around for another motor. Regardless, it's going to cost you for service to do the tests and find out the truth. Do some reading on what entails a compression test and leak down.

"I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles"
-Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
www.sportbiketracktime.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Anyone got the tools and know how to take a look without costing me a ton of money. I know I'm asking for a lot lol.

"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed and that they are entitled to freedom of person, freedom of religion, freedom of property, and freedom of press." Thomas Jefferson
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Also how do I find out what motor will fit in my bike? If I have to replace it I would like it to be with a fuel injected one maybe a 750.

post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 09:26 PM

Sportbike: 1998 GSX-R600
Years Riding: 4th season
How you found us: Sportbikes.net

The only motors that will easily swap into your bike are 97-00 600 and 96-97 750 (but you'll need a lot more parts). The 98-99 750's are fuel injected and will require a lot more work.

-Chris

Last edited by project15; 05-25-2011 at 09:28 PM.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 09:40 PM

Hot start issue - probably need a new stator and rectifier. Check this thread:

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthr...ight=hot+start

I own the same bike and out of experience, my next guess would be a nice carb clean. I highly doubt that you'll need a new engine. These old carb'd bikes can be pretty tempermental when the carbs aren't clean and set correctly (float height, air/fuel screw, jet size, carb sync

-Chris

Last edited by project15; 05-25-2011 at 09:44 PM.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

The hot start issue sounds exactly like it. Shit the dealer would have cost me hundreds I love this forum lol Now how do I go about finding this stator and replacing it? lol Sorry for my ignorance on the issue but I'm new to bikes and don't know anyone that rides or fixes bike other than those I met here.

post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 10:29 PM

Sometimes you have to spend money to keep your shit working correctly. You're worried about hundreds?! That's funny.

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 11:00 PM
Chief Apex Inspector

Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
Sometimes you have to spend money to keep your shit working correctly. You're worried about hundreds?! That's funny.

Hundreds ? You can by ten SV's for that !

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 11:02 PM

Sportbike: lots
How you found us: grasshopper

The thing is with some research you'll find that the stator and regulator have no impact on running.
charge the battery really good and unplug the stator take the bike for a ride you'll see it's not ignition.

Without patting any one on the back the lack of clearance at the valves will cause a hard starting issue while hot because the bike is loosing compression.Love ya Nick.

Any sign of back firing or popping in the air box??Would confirm this idea.

a short in the electrics might cause some voltage power to the starter to falter but I'd bet resistance some where.

check compression while hot and cold just for shits and giggles.

Gus
We offer three kinds of service @ Resurrection
GOOD - CHEAP - FAST
You can pick any two
GOOD service CHEAP won't be FAST
GOOD service FAST won't be CHEAP
FAST service CHEAP won't be GOOD
and cold beer.

I'd love to help but I don't chase parts.
Please contact other forum members and supporters for parts.
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 11:02 PM

the stator is on the left side of the bike toward the bottom and looks like an engine cover. You might need to drain the oil a little before taking it off. You'll need a new gasket along with the new stator.

It looks like these:
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R4...All-Categories

The rectifier is under the tail plastic so you'll have to take that off to find it. Do more research on the gixxer.com site, it's a very common problem.

It looks like these:
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=sra....c0.m270.l1313

You're still going to have to spend a good amount of money just on parts. That's the problem with old bikes - they have old parts.

-Chris
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 11:19 PM

I read that post from the GSXR site and I wonder if it was a short from the heat in the windings that caused an ignition issue.
Try just running on the battery once its hot see if it straightens out??

Seems strange because I've run a dozen bikes with the stator unpluged for testing purposes.

Gus
GOOD - CHEAP - FAST
You can pick any two
and cold beer.

post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 06:07 AM
Highspeed ditch inspector

Sportbike: CB-360, RST Futura, 96/97/98/99 compilation of gixxers into one trackbike.
Years Riding: Since 2000
How you found us: Member

My 96 750 alway had a hot start difficulty. But then I put a K&N airfilter in and the thing would die all the time and almost never start hot. Check that there are no air leaks around the filter, or that the airbox hasn't come off the carbs. The center two boots sometimed dont get seated properly and will leak air. That will cause problems. To tighten the airbox boots to the carbs, use long phillips thru the holes in the frame.

NOTE!!! These checks will cost you a 4mm, 6mm allenwrenches and a long philips screwdriver. If by chance any of this works, you GF owes me a BJ.

!!!!!!!(.)(.)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!). (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!( y )!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Garage
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 06:09 AM

Sportbike: CB-360, RST Futura, 96/97/98/99 compilation of gixxers into one trackbike.

Check everythig that is free or cheap before replacing the stator, unless you have tested the stator and are sure it is bad.

My Garage
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 07:25 AM

+1

Gus
GOOD - CHEAP - FAST
You can pick any two
and cold beer.

post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 11:39 AM
Obsessed and Deranged

Sportbike: SV1000S
Years Riding: too many years
How you found us: dumb luck

those old 600's are not worth sinking alot of money into, and if you have to ask where the stator is, you probably shouldn't be replacing it
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by resurrection View Post

Seems strange because I've run a dozen bikes with the stator unpluged for testing purposes.
To run just the battery do I just unplug the stator?

post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elroy121 View Post
those old 600's are not worth sinking alot of money into, and if you have to ask where the stator is, you probably shouldn't be replacing it
Only way to learn is by doing. I have replaced intake manifolds, ball joints, starters, ac compressors, water pumps, breaks, calipers etc on cars. I know I can fix a bike I just need some direction and advice. I wish I could spend money to have it fixed but it isn't possible at the moment due to lack of work.

Thanks to everyone for your advice. Time to start messing with it and eliminating possibilities. Anyone want to buy a bike? lol

post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 06:19 PM
Obsessed and Deranged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joem View Post
Only way to learn is by doing. I have replaced intake manifolds, ball joints, starters, ac compressors, water pumps, breaks, calipers etc on cars. I know I can fix a bike I just need some direction and advice. I wish I could spend money to have it fixed but it isn't possible at the moment due to lack of work.

Thanks to everyone for your advice. Time to start messing with it and eliminating possibilities. Anyone want to buy a bike? lol
and the main way to break something that isnt broken is to work on it

i have no idea what skills you have but if you dont know where something is how would you know its broke or needs replacing?

have you put a voltmeter on it yet? what 3 readings did you get for running voltage? resistance?

overall, the 90s was a sorry era for GSXR's and the 600 was the red headed stepchild of gixxers untill 2001 when suzuki finally made it as good as the others, so you have an uphill battle to make yours a decent runner

i worked at a suzuki dealer from 01 till 05 and hardly saw any of those older 600s ( but hundreds of craptanas of similar vintage), and of the ones i did none of them seemed to run worth a crap, i think sv650s are faster than carbed 600s,, i dont think suzuki made alot of those 600s and many that survived have probably been upgraded to 750cc

i would find someone who still likes that 90's purple/black color scheme and sell it to get an 01-03 gsxr 600, those can be had for cheap if you look, then again i see fools selling 90's bikes for $3500, dont fall for it
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 06:26 PM
Obsessed and Deranged

Quote:
Originally Posted by resurrection View Post
I read that post from the GSXR site and I wonder if it was a short from the heat in the windings that caused an ignition issue.

me too, its the only way to measure stator output voltage
post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
have you put a voltmeter on it yet? what 3 readings did you get for running voltage? resistance?
not yet.

I was hoping people on here could tell me how to test something then I would test it and know if that part is bad or not. I am doing what I can with what I got. As soon as I get it running half way decent I will sell it and get a newer one.

post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 08:20 PM

Don't get discouraged by the haters. You bought this bike cheap and intended to use it as a learning tool. It you've done mechanical work on a car and have the confidence to try it, jump in and try it. Theres plenty of routes to help you on internet forums if you get stuck. And these 600 gixxers are plenty fast for a newer to intermediate rider so enjoy it (when it runs right )

-Chris
post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 12:30 AM

Please look for the fuse panel and check all of those wires in and out.

Gus
GOOD - CHEAP - FAST
You can pick any two
and cold beer.

post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joem View Post
Yesterday I took my bike out and it was lacking power bad. When I pulled in the clutch it died and would not restart. Until it cooled down then I had to jump it because I killed the battery trying to start it. Today it started fine and warmed up fine and power was good but when it reached about 170 degrees it started to run like shit and would die at idle unless I gave it the gas. As long as I have had it, it never liked starting when it was warmed up I would have to give it gas to get it to start. Dealer told me that could be because of a bad battery now they say it could be electrical. I have not had them look at the bike because I'm not rich lol. This sucks I have only put about 900 miles since i got it. I have only had it about 3 months. The last time I rode it I took it 160 miles and had no problems. Can someone give me advice please. (And no I did not mess with the exhaust)

Just to let you know, you have a full yosh system on that bike. re-jetting is pretty much mandatory. Maybe it was done and maybe it wasn't. Also pull you airfilter and if it has a red element, then you have a K&N. With that combo jetting has to be done.

Check you plug wires and make sure none of them are abraided. You have plug top coils, check them with a multi-meter. See what the sparkplugs look like, is there an oddball color on one?

Do, lots of reading before checking this next one, but I would also check the throttle position sensor on the right side of the carbs. I have seen a couple loose ones.

Before buying any parts, send me a PM. I have tons of srad stuff.

My Garage
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 08:21 AM

To test the stator you will need a volt meter. Switch it to AC, unplug the stator. Start the bike and test all three combos for about 50-70 volts AC while holding the RPMs at about 4 grand. If you have anything less on any of the 3 combos you have a bad stator.

Follow me?

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 09:06 AM
Slower Traffic Keep Right

Sportbike: '06 Suzuki GSXR-750 (Track); '11 HD Electra Glide (Road Sofa)
Years Riding: 30+ yrs total
How you found us: A friend at NESBA

Do yourself a favor, and get a factory service manual. With some searching, you can download an electronic version, but it's too big of a file (~95MB) to e-mail or I'd send you one.

The manual has the procedures for testing the stator and the rectifier, and just about anything else you need to do.

I've got a '98 600, but I haven't had any hot start issues so far.

Midwest Track Day CR #130
NESBA 130-Control Rider (Former Midwest Region)
STT "A" 130
Track: 2006 GSXR-750
Street: 2011 H-D Ultra Limited (Road Sofa)

www.MidwestTrackDay.com / www.MidwestTrackDay.motorsportreg.com / www.facebook.com/midwesttrackday

http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member6419.png
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 09:10 AM
Slower Traffic Keep Right

Sportbike: '06 Suzuki GSXR-750 (Track); '11 HD Electra Glide (Road Sofa)
Years Riding: 30+ yrs total
How you found us: A friend at NESBA

Actually...I just checked one of my old links and it still works. It's a ZIP file, and it's 98MB. The site is Russian, but the manual is in English.

http://www.blackbears.ru/manual/files/Suzuki_GSX-R600_'97-00_Service_Manual.zip

Good Luck

Midwest Track Day CR #130
NESBA 130-Control Rider (Former Midwest Region)
STT "A" 130
Track: 2006 GSXR-750
Street: 2011 H-D Ultra Limited (Road Sofa)

www.MidwestTrackDay.com / www.MidwestTrackDay.motorsportreg.com / www.facebook.com/midwesttrackday

http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member6419.png
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 11:16 AM
Obsessed and Deranged

you can also test the stator for resistance , with the bike off, across the 3 leads like ghopper said,

everyone is giving you good advice here, but there is alot of unknown with your bike so we are just guessing, you need a voltmeter

first test would be the battery, test voltage with bike off, then start it and watch the voltage as you slowly rev it to 5-6 K, did the voltage go up? this is easy to do , check the leads to the battery, are they tight? you should do this before the stator
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone! I am going to try everything you suggested starting with free and working my way through. I downloaded the manual that is going to be a lot of help. Sqrly if I need any parts I will come to you first.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode