Anybody want to help install a shock? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Performance and Tech Use of this forum is designed for performance discussion, as well as “help me fix it” questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 09 Suzuki SFV-650, 01 Yamaha R6
Years Riding: Not long enough...
How you found us: Gymnast1389

Anybody want to help install a shock?

I picked up a new shock and I want to put it in and I like to do the work myself so I can learn, however I have no idea how to set sag and what not after doing a shock install so I was wondering if anyone would want to help.... Also If you know of a good powder coater, I would like to powder coat the spring red. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 10:57 PM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk
How you found us: Google

Powdercoat pm SilverGhost www.thepowderpro.com

Shock pm Resurrection or Chicago Performance

/endthread
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 05:58 PM
Moto-Sexual....

Sportbike: honda goldwing 1500se, yamaha gts1000, suzuki tl1000r
Years Riding: one month
How you found us: NickIF

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotart View Post
I picked up a new shock and I want to put it in and I like to do the work myself so I can learn, however I have no idea how to set sag and what not after doing a shock install so I was wondering if anyone would want to help.... Also If you know of a good powder coater, I would like to powder coat the spring red. Thanks in advance!
let me know if you need me to help ya.

call me if you want to set something up

Excuse me, while i kiss this Guy......

<-----Mr. Vern

Hit me up if you're looking for someone to ride with
773.469.2932....whoohoo! i can get texts now!. will get right back to ya
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 06:07 PM
Pierced & tattooed freak!

Sportbike: 1999 GSX-R750
Years Riding: "None of your bleepin' business!" - Joe Pesci
How you found us: Read about it in a fortune cookie

If you guys don't mind the company, I'd like to help if I can, and watch you all do this, so I can learn how to do this too.

Dante: [to Randal] You never go ass-to-mouth!
Randal: [to Dante] Would you grow up!
Becky: [to Dante] OK, I'm only telling you this because we're friends, but sometimes, in the heat of the moment, it's forgivable to go ass-to-mouth.
Randal: [chuckling] Ha! I knew it.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartBiker View Post
let me know if you need me to help ya.

call me if you want to set something up
Sure thing! I want to get the spring powder coated, so once I find someone to do it you will be hearing from me!
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

I installed the shock at my work today! It was very easy and took me about an hour! Thanks for the offer to help Vern, but my work was just closer haha!

Thanks to BFLY for saying he'd install it on Monday and then never returning my calls... I saved $60!
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 02:27 PM

Sportbike: 08 Suzuki GSXR600, 06 GSXR1000
Years Riding: Sponsored by Suzuki for 6 years.
How you found us: Fred from Sportbikes.net

Just by an Eibach spring...they are red

Kevin Hanson
Safety First Racing
Louisville, KY
[email protected]
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 04:01 PM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Sportbike: 636/ zzr600/ r6
Years Riding: Since 07
How you found us: bathroom stall

Quote:
I installed the shock at my work today! It was very easy and took me about an hour! Thanks for the offer to help Vern, but my work was just closer haha!

Thanks to BFLY for saying he'd install it on Monday and then never returning my calls... I saved $60!
Kind of a douche bag move there calling people out before finding out what might have happen don't you think.

Well your capable of doing a shock then you should have no issue doing everything else at your work without the need for asking for help anymore right?

go time traveler style and go back in time, fuck his grandma, then shoot forward in time and then fuck his mom. Then return back to present state and call him a the product of two incest whores and hes your son and show video of you plowing the both members of his family. .
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2M View Post
Kind of a douche bag move there calling people out before finding out what might have happen don't you think.

Well your capable of doing a shock then you should have no issue doing everything else at your work without the need for asking for help anymore right?
I think it was a douche bag move having me wait around for 2 hours to get no response and then couldn't even give a courtesy call almost a week later now... If he was in an accident or something then that stinks, but it says he's been active on here and yet not even a PM or anything.

I never said I know everything, nor did I imply that I can work magic on a bike. However, when I do need help, I know 2 people I would never ask for help...

Last edited by emotart; 06-18-2011 at 04:25 PM.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 04:36 PM
Moto-Sexual....

Quote:

Well your capable of doing a shock then you should have no issue doing everything else at your work without the need for asking anyone on here for help anymore right?
oh snap!

at least you coulda given ME a courtesy call to let me know you had done this....

i dont bite, well maybe sometimes

lets go for a ride soon....

you lucky your pics do you justice......

<-----Mr. Vern

Last edited by SmartBiker; 06-18-2011 at 04:39 PM.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
oh snap!

at least you coulda given ME a courtesy call to let me know you had done this....

i dont bite, well maybe sometimes

lets go for a ride soon....

you lucky your pics do you justice......
I was going to call you Monday and let you know (or hit you up on Facebook). I had some extra time this morning and decided to try it, but the rest of this weekend is crazy cause Father's day...

When is the next cruise you are setting up? I will definitely give it my best to make it out!
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 04:56 PM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Quote:
oh snap!

:
Oh snap he preaches about brian but then does the same thing how ironic

And emotart I think you are missing the point completely. Many people on the boards are busy in RL and shit comes up stuff happens. Because the board says he is active doesnt not mean he is sitting at the computer. me like many just leave the page open or logged on I am sure if you search will see a ton of thread where other members post crazy things because some one did that.

He offered help, he didnt get back to you in a timely matter simply put let it be, give him a call or a text later that week if no response again then leave it at that. But being a complete ass about it and calling him out the way you did on the board or anyone offering help isnt right whether they are wrong or not. Your comment is no better then him not returning your call so your just as wrong

When is it time to call someone out when they steal your bike, when they do shady work on it etc etc then yeah go to town. But for saying ill help and then not calling back isnt nothing more then what it is he just simply didnt call back for what ever reason

go time traveler style and go back in time, fuck his grandma, then shoot forward in time and then fuck his mom. Then return back to present state and call him a the product of two incest whores and hes your son and show video of you plowing the both members of his family. .

Last edited by C2M; 06-18-2011 at 05:05 PM.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Read 1 post up...

I also didn't have a day set anytime soon to make it out to Vern's and do the shock. I sat around in Palatine (I live in Glen Ellyn) waiting for BFLY to shoot me his address so I could make it over his way. After 2 hours of waiting, I stopped wasting my time and left. I never got a call, text or even a PM saying things came up or something happened. As I said, if he was in an accident or something that stinks, but not saying anything was a douchey move if you ask me...

Last edited by emotart; 06-18-2011 at 05:09 PM.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 05:09 PM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Quote:
Read 1 post up...
Read post 11
Quote:
I was gonna call on Monday
guess what its Saturday so in turn you also had all week to notify vern

Then read post 9

Nuff said

No matter what you say your not any better right now

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

And emotart I think you are missing the point completely. Many people on the boards are busy in RL and shit comes up stuff happens. Because the board says he is active doesnt not mean he is sitting at the computer. me like many just leave the page open or logged on I am sure if you search will see a ton of thread where other members post crazy things because some one did that.

He offered help, he didnt get back to you in a timely matter simply put let it be, give him a call or a text later that week if no response again then leave it at that. But being a complete ass about it and calling him out the way you did on the board or anyone offering help isnt right whether they are wrong or not. Your comment is no better then him not returning your call so your just as wrong

When is it time to call someone out when they steal your bike, when they do shady work on it etc etc then yeah go to town. But for saying ill help and then not calling back isnt nothing more then what it is he just simply didnt call back for what ever reason
He was offering his help at a cost... It wasn't like he was going out of his way, he was doing an hour worth of work for $60. I would say that $1 a minute is a good deal, especially when there are no taxes. On top of that, I was going out to his place so he wouldn't have to lug tools or anything around. I sat around roughly 25 miles from my house for 2 hours for nothing, wouldn't you be a little irritated if after a 10 hour work day you waste 2 more hours then have a 35 minute ride home?

You, my friend, turned my sarcastic call out into a big issue. In the end I save $60, so its all good.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
guess what its Saturday so in turn you also had all week to notify vern

Then read post 9

Nuff said

No matter what you say your not any better right now
Vern and I did not set a day that we were going to do the shock, I told him I would call him if I had a day off or got out of work early one day and we would work it out.

I planned on calling Vern on Monday (6/20, not 6/13) or hitting up on Facebook to thank him for offering his help (at no cost), but I would not need it since I found out at 6 am this morning (6/18) that I didn't have to work this morning (6/18).

I'm sure you knew all of this though, because clearly, you know everything.

Last edited by emotart; 06-18-2011 at 05:18 PM.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 05:19 PM
Moto-Sexual....

Quote:

When is the next cruise you are setting up? I will definitely give it my best to make out with you!

YESSSS!!

<-----Mr. Vern

post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 05:22 PM

Want my opinion?

I did enough pot stirring for a while.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 05:23 PM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Quote:
He was offering his help at a cost... It wasn't like he was going out of his way, he was doing an hour worth of work for $60. I would say that $1 a minute is a good deal, especially when there are no taxes. On top of that, I was going out to his place so he wouldn't have to lug tools or anything around. I sat around roughly 25 miles from my house for 2 hours for nothing, wouldn't you be a little irritated if after a 10 hour work day you waste 2 more hours then have a 35 minute ride home?

You, my friend, turned my sarcastic call out into a big issue. In the end I save $60, so its all good.
I would have confirmed everything was set the night before and showed up at his house when scheduled. Im smart enough to know to set the plan before sitting 25 miles from my house nor would I do anything after 10 hour day.

sarcastic LOL yeah we can see thru your BS. Cause there was nothing sarcastic about it

But all in all your happy so enjoy.

post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 05:25 PM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave13 View Post
Want my opinion?

I did enough pot stirring for a while.
Dave let it loose LOL im going to work in a few so i need a few laughs while my phone stays logged on to clsb showing me as active the whole time

post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I would have confirmed everything was set the night before and showed up at his house when scheduled. Im smart enough to know to set the plan before sitting 25 miles from my house nor would I do anything after 10 hour day.

sarcastic LOL yeah we can see thru your BS. Cause there was nothing sarcastic about it

But all in all your happy so enjoy.
I did call him late Sunday and got no answer, but figured I would hang in case he called so I would be 30 mins from his house instead of an hour or longer, depending on traffic...

If there was nothing sarcastic about it, I wouldn't have said, "I saved $60!", it would have been left at thanks for ditching out on the install. Maybe next time I will use a smilie after it so the ethugs understand there is sarcasm in there... (I hope that helps hint at the sarcasm...)
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 05:52 PM

Aw darn ... I was free today and woulda love to see how this was done.

Becky: [to Dante] OK, I'm only telling you this because we're friends, but sometimes, in the heat of the moment, it's forgivable to go ass-to-mouth.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgamesboi View Post
Aw darn ... I was free today and woulda love to see how this was done.
If you are planning on doing a shock soon, let me know and I would gladly help, free of charge. It really wasn't that hard at all...
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
If you are planning on doing a shock soon, let me know and I would gladly help, free of charge. It really wasn't that hard at all...
It's ironic this whole shock thing came up ... I could use an opinion on my shocks. They could need replacing. They feel OK, but some bumps here & there seem a bit rough. Martha Stewart knows more about bike repair than I do, so any help is graciously accepted.

post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 06:20 PM

Sportbike: lots
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: grasshopper

Gus
We offer three kinds of service @ Resurrection
GOOD - CHEAP - FAST
You can pick any two
GOOD service CHEAP won't be FAST
GOOD service FAST won't be CHEAP
FAST service CHEAP won't be GOOD
and cold beer.

I'd love to help but I don't chase parts.
Please contact other forum members and supporters for parts.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 08:28 PM
I don't know...

Sportbike: more than one... one less now...
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Some girl was talking about it.

Quote:
It really wasn't that hard at all...
So I guess you set it up yourself, too? damn all those racers who pay top dollars to get guys doing it for them...

post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germany View Post
So I guess you set it up yourself, too? damn all those racers who pay top dollars to get guys doing it for them...
I am still setting everything as I ride, but there isn't a ton you can adjust on a stock GSXR600 shock or at least not as much (or even as precise) as a shock someone paying top dollar for a race set up would be running...

You are comparing apples to oranges... You can't compare a race bike that has a shock that costs more than my bike in it.

Last edited by emotart; 06-18-2011 at 10:55 PM.
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 08:04 AM
Moto-Sexual....

im shocked at this thread......

<-----Mr. Vern

post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 10:37 AM

Why Vern? It's well known SV650 has a terrible shock. You are better odd with a can of play-doh shaped into a shock then what sook put on at the factory.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode