Cam Chain Tensioner? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Performance and Tech Use of this forum is designed for performance discussion, as well as “help me fix it” questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 02:09 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 05 CBR600RR
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: CBR Forum

Send a message via AIM to AgentofDarkness
Cam Chain Tensioner?

I have an 05 CBR600RR (~14K miles) and lately I have been hearing what I think is chain rattle when I have the engine at around 5K RPM. The CBRs are known to have issues with the automatic Cam Chain Tensioners. Anybody have any experience with this? Should I replace the CCT with another Honda part or install a manaul CCT? Also, can I adjust the automatic CCT I have so the rattle goes away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
In motorcycle terms, that's like taking your Ducati to a dealer for service, and they hand you back a 1979 backfiring Honda 400 Hawk.. because after all, a bike is a bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 02:28 AM

Sportbike: Slow
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: a real person

Stock auto cam chain tensioner is not adjustable.

Buy the stock part and pay someone experienced to put it in there correctly. There is a procedure in the manual that needs to be followed precisely or you will destroy your motor.

"I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles"
-Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
www.sportbiketracktime.com
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 08:59 AM

Sportbike: 01 RC51
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: friend

like grasshopper said, have a professional do it. if you try to do it yourself and miss the smallest detail it can lead to severe top end damage. id have a professional diagnose the problem before you assume that is the issue though, could be a number of things
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 09:20 AM
-= OuterSpace =-

Sportbike: Yamaha YZ450
Years Riding: too many to keep track
How you found us: Shizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentofDarkness View Post
I have an 05 CBR600RR (~14K miles) and lately I have been hearing what I think is chain rattle when I have the engine at around 5K RPM. The CBRs are known to have issues with the automatic Cam Chain Tensioners. Anybody have any experience with this? Should I replace the CCT with another Honda part or install a manaul CCT? Also, can I adjust the automatic CCT I have so the rattle goes away?
If you know it's the CCT and you're going to replace it. I'd go with a APE manual. http://ape-store.com/shopsite/page4.html

You might have a stretched chain too, so I'd look at replacing that while you're at it.

04 Yamaha YZ450F - Off-Road it, mang
06 Kawasaki BruteForce 750i
09 Yamaha Raptor 700r

- Mike - OldSkool - MC -
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 10:47 AM
Wisconsin FIB

Sportbike: Speed Triple 06 Blue
Years Riding: Since June 2002
How you found us: Pilotx1

Personal experience during the development of a inverted tooth chain drive 12K rpm system over the last two years, they are very sensitive to tensioner damping / back lash / spring rate. If you think the tensioner is bad, replace it with a OEM part.

A fixed tensioner dramatically increases the stiffness of the chain system. The only damping remaining is in the guides, and chain stretching within the elastic region of the material. This will raise any natural frequencies in the system up higher, but also increase the magnitude of the stresses. If not adjusted to keep up with the chain wear, the system now becomes very soft (loss of guide contact), and chain slapping or impact loads become a problem.

The tensioner is probably a ratcheting steel plunger in a steel body, with a calibrated orifice for damping. Not much of anything to wear out, except the ratchet mechanism. More likely its a stretched (0.5 - 0.8%) chain or worn chain guides. Although the guides would probably NOT cause a rattle.

As Grasshopper said, start with an experienced mechanic to install the tensioner. If that doesn't work, measure the stretch of the chain (typically a spec over 10 links), as OldSkool said. Rattle doesn't always indicate a durability problem with chain drives, it just might indicate a looser than nominal system (lower natural frequency) getting closer to a valvetrain or crank resonance.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 12:14 PM

Sportbike: SV 650, FZR 400, RM 125
Years Riding: Since 1990
How you found us: Nesba!

Don't just throw parts at it. Get it fixed right. It could be a cam chain tensioner, is could be a valve, it could be the exhaust. Lots of things make noise. Just because it's a Honda doesn't mean it the CCT.

Greg K.
STT Staff Member
CCS Expert #12
MSF Instructor

VinylSaurusRex.com - Cyclepath Racing - Safety First Racing - SMR Components - Apexjunkie.com - Yamaha Champions Riding School
"If you're headed toward trees, I'm guessing your on the wrong line." - S. Russell

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode