rode sv650 in the rain... - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Performance and Tech Use of this forum is designed for performance discussion, as well as “help me fix it” questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
豊田真

Sportbike: SV
Years Riding: 2 years
How you found us: brwnnnja

Send a message via AIM to purekovak
rode sv650 in the rain...

I rode my SV650 in a heavy rain recently which I read probably fouled up the front spark plug. I was still able to ride the bike the next day if I revved the engine really high to keep it from stalling, but after replacing both spark plugs and the air filter (original filter was dirty) it won't even idle. The bike starts right up with the choke on, but won't idle for more than a few seconds and never goes above 2k RPM. I tried adjusting the idle adjustment screw but that hasn't helped.

I'm pretty clueless on anything but simple maintenance, but I was going to next drain the gas tank and add fresh gas/seafoam. Is there anything else I could try first? Anyone knowledgeable on SV's want to take a look at it? I'm ten minutes from downtown and will pay something for your trouble.

'01 SV650 Blood Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 06:02 PM
Obsessed and Deranged

Sportbike: SV1000S
Years Riding: too many years
How you found us: dumb luck

clogged pilot jets most likely, when did you ride in the rain, how much riding have you done this season? did it run fine before the rain? what did you screw up when you replaced the plugs? the only reason to drain the gas would be water in the tank, if it got in with the rain, how about when you left it out for the winter?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
豊田真

Quote:
Originally Posted by elroy121 View Post
clogged pilot jets most likely, when did you ride in the rain, how much riding have you done this season? did it run fine before the rain? what did you screw up when you replaced the plugs? the only reason to drain the gas would be water in the tank, if it got in with the rain, how about when you left it out for the winter?
Thanks for the fast response.

Bike was my daily rider prior to this incident and has been a tank. I've ridden it at least 300 miles since I started riding again this spring with no issues other than having to keep the choke on for 20-30 seconds to warm it up.

I rode it one time after riding in the rain, and I was feeling a major loss of power that seemed in line with the front spark plug not firing. The next time I tried to start it I couldn't open the throttle at all without it stalling. I may have messed up the plug installation but it seems like a really hard thing to mess up; I just pulled the radiator forward and replaced the spark plug without disconnecting anything. Any ideas?

'01 SV650 Blood Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 06:29 PM

Sportbike: SV 650, FZR 400, RM 125
Years Riding: Since 1990
How you found us: Nesba!

There is a drain hole that leads from the spark plug cavity out the side of the cylinder body. If it was full of water, the bike will run like poop until the RPM's pickup. Clean the drain and make sure there isn't any water in that cavity.

The problem you describe about not taking any throttle at all leads me to believe you have bad gas or water in the gas. Drain the float bowls on the carbs and try it again. If have the same problem, drain the bowls again and see if there is water in them. If there is a second time, then drain the tank and start over.

Also be sure all the connections to the coils are good and that the spark plug wire is on all the way.

Greg K.
STT Staff Member
CCS Expert #12
MSF Instructor

VinylSaurusRex.com - Cyclepath Racing - Safety First Racing - SMR Components - Apexjunkie.com - Yamaha Champions Riding School
"If you're headed toward trees, I'm guessing your on the wrong line." - S. Russell
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 08:04 PM

Sportbike: Slow
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: a real person

Like Greg said the hole in the front cylinder got clogged with dirt and shit and could not drain causing the the spark plug hole to fill with water fouling the plug. Unscrew the spark plug cap from the wire (it screws on and off) Snip about a 1/8 inch of wire off the wire and screw the cap back on. You are essentially dry firing the front cylinder. Check to make sure the cap goes on the plug tight. Hopefully too much foreign debree didn't fall down in the spark plug hole when you changed your plugs. Always always always blow the hole out with compressed air before removing any spark plug to get all the crap out of there.

Just a quick FYI... If you take out the 3 10mm bolts holding the radiator on you have more room to get your hand in there to fuck around. You don't necessarilly need to disconnect any of the coolant hoses, just removing the mounting bolts helps to get in there.

Try all that and post back up in the moring.

"I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles"
-Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
www.sportbiketracktime.com

Last edited by Grasshopper; 06-29-2011 at 08:10 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 12:32 AM

Sportbike: SV 650, FZR 400, RM 125
Years Riding: Since 1990
How you found us: Nesba!

Yeah, what he said.

Greg K.
STT Staff Member
CCS Expert #12
MSF Instructor

VinylSaurusRex.com - Cyclepath Racing - Safety First Racing - SMR Components - Apexjunkie.com - Yamaha Champions Riding School
"If you're headed toward trees, I'm guessing your on the wrong line." - S. Russell
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 06:35 PM
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Sportbike: 955i Speed Triple, 100AE Road King, AP1 Honda S2000
Years Riding: 1/3rd of my life.
How you found us: Cave Johnson

Any update? You get it sorted out?

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
Yeah, I quit doing blow, not being rad!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
豊田真

Still not sorted out, but I haven't had time to do much with it, and only so much you can do with the SV's tool kit :- I'm pretty sure the spark plugs are installed correctly as I changed them once before without issue (it was a pain in the ass to get at the front one with the radiator there) so I'm guessing it is fuel related? I'd like to try Greg's suggestion and drain the fuel from the float bowls but I need to get some ball end allen keys.

I'd like to fix this myself but I'm ready to bring it to someone that is familiar with SV's and has a garage with tools. Can anyone recommend someone in the city?

'01 SV650 Blood Red

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode