Need tips on getting an axle out - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Performance and Tech Use of this forum is designed for performance discussion, as well as “help me fix it” questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
vroom-vroom

Sportbike: 2004 BMW K1200GT
Years Riding: 2007
How you found us: google

Send a message via Yahoo to Spork
Need tips on getting an axle out

Ok so im changing out the rear drum brakes of my gf's 1984 honda nighthawk 550SC.

Got the brake adjuster off, the torque bar thingie off. and the axle nut on the other side off (needed the breaker bar for that one). now I got the axle rod to pull out (its a shaft) of the right side. The right side bolt has a hole cut through it where you are supposed to side a bar or whatever and tug the rod out.

The thing is that this aint happening. I went to the other side and banged on the bar with a hammer (piece of wood in between) and split the wood. The bar didnt budge.

Today I'm going to get a deadblow hammer and try at it again. I'm wonder if you guys have any ideas on how to get a stubborn axle out? wish i had a pic but it basically bolts from the Final Drive side and you pull it out from the rear brake side (right).

2004 K1200Gt
2009 KLR650
1978 CB400A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 02:35 PM

Sportbike: Triumph Bonneville...the original sportbike!
Years Riding: Since about 11 years after my adult teeth came in
How you found us: I tripped over ya on my way to the can!

Likely it's all galled and corroded because it's been on there for years. Soak it good in a penetrating oil like PB Blaster overnight and when you get ready to go for getting it out use a drift or a long bolt about 1/2 the axel size in diameter to rap it through. You may have to rap some and soak it a few times before you get it completely out. That's how I've done it and it took work and effort but I got it out. Clean everything up with a fine wire brush and wheel and I would recommend replacing the bearings and seals. When re-assembling use a good coating of an anti seize compound.
I'm sure others will have ideas and methods that worked for them as well.
Personally, I'd be very reluctant to use heat because it could be very damaging.
Good luck.

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 02:41 PM

Sportbike: Slow
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: a real person

Wiggle the wheel while you are trying to hammer the axle out.

"I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles"
-Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
www.sportbiketracktime.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 02:46 PM

Sportbike: '86 SRX6, '87 SRX250, '85 VF1000R, '67 Ducati 250, '64 Benelli Cobra
Years Riding: 25
How you found us: Member on Georgia Sportbike forum.

Send a message via AIM to Droopydawg
If it is that difficult, you may have a bent axle. OR, with rear tire off of the ground, wiggle wheel a little side to side. Axle might be binding up alittle, since it wants to come out straight and the wheel might be crooked. Can you fit a socket wrench extension into the axle hole on the left side to be able to tap the axle farther out on the right side? if you needed a breaker bar to loosen the axle nut, either you are 8 yrs old, or it was WAY WAY WAY to tight, which I am sure it was. Cant imagine it is supposed to be much more than 70ftlbs, if even that much.

And dont use heat, unless you plan on replacing the rubber seals in the hub of the wheel not to mention the seals in the final drive (shaft drive, I think). Too much heat will also deform the bearings.

Chicks dig guys with hippohands on their sportbikes.

Drew "Droopydawg" Mobley
Certified Motorcycle Technician-Dekalb Technical Institute (Georgia), '07

Last edited by Droopydawg; 07-18-2011 at 02:58 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
vroom-vroom

Thanks for the tips... I'm at work now but will try some penetrating oil tonight... I dont think that wheel has been off for years.

The axle nut made an unpleasing "creak" when i was loosening it but came off with little fuss. The threads were a bit corroded but otherwise fine.

the Clymers recommended using a punch or drift to bang the rod out using a hammer. I have a feeling that lack of servicing has done a number on the rod, but it still spins pretty freely, so im thinking that it's just dried up in there.

Edit:

To give you an idea of how hard its stuck in there I put a long screwdriver through the axle hole on the right side, grabbed both ends, braced my feet on the tire and pulled.... nothing (its on the center-stand)

This is bananas, makes my BMW maintenance a walk in the park.

2004 K1200Gt
2009 KLR650
1978 CB400A

Last edited by Spork; 07-18-2011 at 03:08 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 03:11 PM

Sportbike: '86 SRX6, '87 SRX250, '85 VF1000R, '67 Ducati 250, '64 Benelli Cobra
Years Riding: 25
How you found us: Member on Georgia Sportbike forum.

Send a message via AIM to Droopydawg
When youre too the point of putting the wheel and axle back on, finger in a good amount of bearing grease/lube inside the hub and work it into the bearings as best you can. If it is shaft drive, it probably wouldnt hurt to change out the 80w gear oil in the the rear end as well.

Chicks dig guys with hippohands on their sportbikes.

Drew "Droopydawg" Mobley
Certified Motorcycle Technician-Dekalb Technical Institute (Georgia), '07
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
vroom-vroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droopydawg View Post
When youre too the point of putting the wheel and axle back on, finger in a good amount of bearing grease/lube inside the hub and work it into the bearings as best you can. If it is shaft drive, it probably wouldnt hurt to change out the 80w gear oil in the the rear end as well.
Bearings probably need to be changed as well... sigh

2004 K1200Gt
2009 KLR650
1978 CB400A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode