Toolkit recommendations - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Performance and Tech Use of this forum is designed for performance discussion, as well as “help me fix it” questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Wild slide rule roots

Sportbike: 2002 Suzuki TL1000R, yel/blk (Street) & '04 GSXR750 (Track)
Years Riding: 8
How you found us: Got the link through NESBA

Toolkit recommendations

Having found myself in the joyless position of having to build up my toolkit again from scratch, I'm now in the market for a whole new set of ratchets, Allen keys, and so on (plus the box to keep them in). The old kit was mostly cribbed from my father's tools, so I've never had to buy a whole toolkit for myself because I've had that to build on.

Any good recommendations on brands? My old kit was mostly old-line Craftsman (late '70s or early '80s vintage), with some other things bought piecemeal from wherever I happened to be shopping at the time. I never had much of a problem with those. Is Craftsman still any good for ratchets?

Morrand
NESBA #561 (I)
Jabber/Google Talk: [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 08:45 AM
Model citizen

Sportbike: ktm
Years Riding: a few
How you found us: SBN

Get used snap on ratchets from craigslist or ebay. Soooo nice. The new craftsman ratchets dont get the best reviews.

Eric
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 11:21 AM

Sportbike: Triumph Bonneville...the original sportbike!
Years Riding: Since about 11 years after my adult teeth came in
How you found us: I tripped over ya on my way to the can!

Craftsman are still very good tools for the most part and hold up excellently for a home /hobby mechanic. Snap On is just about the best for a pro mechanic. They are more expensive (justifiably so) but other than price the only drawback with Snap On is if you need to use the guarantee it's a bit more of a hassle than going to Sears or ACE hardware.
If you're really on a tight budget and want decent quality I've had good luck with the Kolbalt brand available at Lowes. I don't have a full kit of them but the few pieces I've bought have served me well and I think they also have a lifetime guarantee. They are not made in the USA, though.
As far as tool boxes go I would only go with Craftsman. The quality is the very best for the price. You can buy better but they will be expensive with a Capital "E"!

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 11:34 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Google

If you don't mind going piecemeal, I've found it's best to invest in high end ratchets, then get craftsman or whatever is in your budget for sockets, screwdrivers, etc. I'm tired of returning Craftsman or other ratchets because they don't hold their drive direction. So a Snap-On or MAC ratchet with whatever sockets sure beats busted knuckles.

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 11:40 AM
Eat a bag o' dix!

Sportbike: ratty one
Years Riding: a few days
How you found us: Uncle Bad Touch

^^^Agreed, some of the tools you need will be Expensive and a lot of them will be cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki047 View Post
As long as their tits are bigger than their dicks, im in.

-"You will meet your destiny on the road of avoidance."

-"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

-"It's not considered premarital sex if you don't plan on getting married."
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 12:05 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

For a SET, get Craftsman. Best product with the best and easiest warranty. Easy replacement policy. Try to get the 6-point if you can.

As you build some budget back, I'd suggest buying extra sockets for the key sizes, and getting some deep well sockets as well.

When you have EXTRA money, nothing beats the SnapOn. That said, I have ZERO SnapOn tools, and have been working on my bikes for quite some time without any problems whatsoever. If I were a pro, I'd be all SnapOn.

Get a couple of screwdriver sets.
Get a couple of hex key sets
Get 3/8" drive hex to put on your ratchets
Extensions
Converters - 3/8 to 1/4, 1/2 to 3/8
Get a decent torque wrench
At least a Break bar (maybe a cheater for the break bar)
Dead blow hammer
Wire Tie pliers

That would be a good start and will get you through almost everything you might need.

I probably forgot something major, but I am sure the CLSB guys will fill in my oversights.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Wild slide rule roots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink View Post
For a SET, get Craftsman. Best product with the best and easiest warranty. Easy replacement policy. Try to get the 6-point if you can.

As you build some budget back, I'd suggest buying extra sockets for the key sizes, and getting some deep well sockets as well.

When you have EXTRA money, nothing beats the SnapOn. That said, I have ZERO SnapOn tools, and have been working on my bikes for quite some time without any problems whatsoever. If I were a pro, I'd be all SnapOn.

Get a couple of screwdriver sets.
Get a couple of hex key sets
Get 3/8" drive hex to put on your ratchets
Extensions
Converters - 3/8 to 1/4, 1/2 to 3/8
Get a decent torque wrench
At least a Break bar (maybe a cheater for the break bar)
Dead blow hammer
Wire Tie pliers

That would be a good start and will get you through almost everything you might need.

I probably forgot something major, but I am sure the CLSB guys will fill in my oversights.
This very neatly lists out the contents of the toolbox that I had stolen, so I can vouch for it being an excellent working list of what tools to get. I also had a couple of feeler sets (duplicates) and a really ratty plug gauge, plus the plug socket and prop rod from the TL's tool kit and the cheapie Motion-Pro front axle hex drive. That seems to round out the tools for most of the routine work.

But I have to say that I've bought Sears socket sets before (once, as a present to my sister), and I'm not thrilled with the idea of getting all those 1/4" sockets that are virtually useless and, worse, tend to duplicate what they give you in 3/8" drive. I'd probably wind up building the set myself off the rack, if I can get it cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
If you don't mind going piecemeal, I've found it's best to invest in high end ratchets, then get craftsman or whatever is in your budget for sockets, screwdrivers, etc. I'm tired of returning Craftsman or other ratchets because they don't hold their drive direction. So a Snap-On or MAC ratchet with whatever sockets sure beats busted knuckles.
I was thinking along these lines myself: a good durable ratchet, but then get all the sockets and stuff at Sears or someplace. I guess the other way around to the same place would be to get a Craftsman set in order to get back in business fast, and then save up for a Snap-On ratchet. Then I could have the field ratchet in the box, and the good one in the cabinet at home.

If I do decide to get something top-end like Snap-On, are those sold at retail locally? I know I can mail order them, and might even be able to con their sales rep into visiting my office (once), but beyond that I have no idea how to get anything better than Sears stuff and especially not with any speed.

Morrand
NESBA #561 (I)
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 01:29 PM
n00b

Sportbike: Yamaha feejer and Suzuki vstrom
Years Riding: 5 years
How you found us: search engine

Send a message via AIM to zed88
If you want snap on (unessary except for specific tools) find someone going to school and use the student discount for 30% off
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 02:03 PM
SV650N

Sportbike: 2005 SV650SN
Years Riding: Since 1980
How you found us: craigslist

I have an assortment of snap-on as well as a 60 piece kit from craftsman and it works just perfectly.

I'd recommend getting a '60 to 100 piece kit' from Craftsman and buying/borrowing other tools when they're needed.

Don't shy away from American (standard) tools too; they CAN be handy around the house! so if they're included in the set, just take them.

For Japanese bikes these tools would pretty much cover 90% of what you need:

open end wrenches from 6mm to 19mm
3/8 Ratchet 12 point socket Set 8 to 14mm typically good enough
3/8 ratchet allen head 4 mm to 12 mm
torque wrench
t-handle socket 6mm to 12mm
t-handle allen 4mm to 12mm
rubber mallet
Phillips long and short in #1 and #2 (think stubby handle)
Regular screwdriver medium length small and medium head
needle nose pliers and wire trimmers.
2 each 2X4 wood blocks in 12' and 24" length (good for propping things up)

I've got a few other specialty tools (flexible extensions for 3/8 and so on) but the above should be a good starting point.

You can cut open milk jugs for drain pans; no need to purchase special stuff for that.
Old towels work for catching and keeping things scuff free.

Other items good to have:
Honda Cleaner (for cleaning up the shiny bits)
Contact Cleaner (for degreasing the oily bits)
Steel Wood (for cleaning up the rusty bits (old fork tubes, chrome fenders and such)
Magnet (extendible, because you KNOW you're going to drop a bolt somewhere hard to get)
(magnetizing the tips of your tools doesn't hurt either, just don't use THEM on computers and stuff. LOL)

Hope that helps!

Last edited by crashomon; 04-29-2012 at 02:23 PM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 03:30 PM
Model citizen

Sportbike: ktm
Years Riding: a few
How you found us: SBN

Although this price is hard to beat

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...G1#reviewsWrap

Eric
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 05:26 PM

Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
for the allen wrenches, go with Elkind and definately get them in ball end

-Jason
CCS AM #31
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 06:00 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

It is NOT cheaper to buy pieces from Craftsman. As a matter of fact, it is cheaper to buy the full metric and standard set than it is to buy pieces for metric only. Buy the bigger set, and then modify from there as your starting point.

WRT to the 1/4 duplicates, I use the 1/4 all the time for the 6, 8, 10, 12.

Esp when 2 people working on the bike at once. I'd also make sure to have at least 2 3/8 ratchets, 2 break bars (for axles) and then you need to buy the oversize sockets for axles.

Double up on the 10, 12 and 14s as well.

Bummed you have to do this out of pocket.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 10:00 AM
SV650N

Sportbike: 2005 SV650SN
Years Riding: Since 1980
How you found us: craigslist

the oversize sockets for axles is especially important for those doing trackdays or racing.

But most owners (street only) can either use the one supplied with their tool kit (but with a bigger breaker bar) or borrow it. Its not worth the cost of owning a 19, 21 or 22mm wrench if you'll only use ONE of them maybe twice in 5 years.

Win'ks points are (as usual) spot on: double up on the common sizes and ratchets; that really helps.

Good luck.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 04:18 PM
Semper Fidellis

Sportbike: NADA
Years Riding: Since 1984
How you found us: Google

Send a message via Yahoo to Devil Dog
Morrand, we (you and I) get 25% off of SnapOn through work. It's done through Snap On Industrial and is payment on delivery. If you need contact info pm me and let me know.

Craftsman is owned by the same parent company as MATCO, Armstrong, Gearwrench, Stanley, Apex, Kobalt Ect. There are differences in specs for each and where they are made, but it is good to know it isn't as bad as it was for a few years.

Craig

My VB Garage

"God loves Marines, because we kill everything we see." - R. Lee Ermey, Full Metal Jacket
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 04:27 PM
Obsessed and Deranged

Sportbike: SV1000S
Years Riding: too many years
How you found us: dumb luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink View Post
It is NOT cheaper to buy pieces from Craftsman. As a matter of fact, it is cheaper to buy the full metric and standard set than it is to buy pieces for metric only. Buy the bigger set, and then modify from there as your starting point.

WRT to the 1/4 duplicates, I use the 1/4 all the time for the 6, 8, 10, 12.

Esp when 2 people working on the bike at once. I'd also make sure to have at least 2 3/8 ratchets, 2 break bars (for axles) and then you need to buy the oversize sockets for axles.

Double up on the 10, 12 and 14s as well.

Bummed you have to do this out of pocket.
this is all good advice, but what i would add is that a toolkit that you take riding (in the truck) that might get stolen (like your last one) i would stock with harbor freight tools, yes they are cheap for all you tool snobs and yes i own a fair collection of snap-on and craftsman and S-K that mostly stay in the garage, you can do well with HF sockets and screwdrivers, and they sell a composite ratchet in all 3 sizes for cheap that saves some weight (assuming you take tools to the track ) if you use your brain and look at what HF sells, some is junk but alot is very useable, you can tool up for cheap
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 06:33 PM

Sportbike: lots
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: grasshopper

Last week I went to the Wilmot WI.flee market and bought a 9 piece set of craftsman sockets for 10 bucks.

With a hundred dollars and some gas money you would do well next Sunday.

Gus
We offer three kinds of service @ Resurrection
GOOD - CHEAP - FAST
You can pick any two
GOOD service CHEAP won't be FAST
GOOD service FAST won't be CHEAP
FAST service CHEAP won't be GOOD
and cold beer.

I'd love to help but I don't chase parts.
Please contact other forum members and supporters for parts.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Wild slide rule roots

Quote:
Originally Posted by resurrection View Post
Last week I went to the Wilmot WI.flee market and bought a 9 piece set of craftsman sockets for 10 bucks.

With a hundred dollars and some gas money you would do well next Sunday.
Hell, with a hundred dollars and some shoe leather, I could probably go down to the flea market on Division near Kolmar and get my own tools back. But I'll keep that in mind, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
Morrand, we (you and I) get 25% off of SnapOn through work. It's done through Snap On Industrial and is payment on delivery. If you need contact info pm me and let me know.
Hah, they failed to mention that on our employee discounts list. PM on its way.

Morrand
NESBA #561 (I)
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 05:31 AM

Sportbike: ninja
Years Riding: since I was a kid
How you found us: K.I.T.T.

no doubt snapon and sk and matco are great tools

Craftsman is very good. Also check out Husky tools from HD and Lowes has their own brand too.

Harbor freight is trial and error.

Craftsman pretty decent with ratchets. its good to open them up and lube them. I do break the 1/4" rachets. I did buy a HF 1/4 rachet which held up very well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode