K&N Air Filter worth it? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Performance and Tech Use of this forum is designed for performance discussion, as well as “help me fix it” questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 06 Yamaha R6
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: Random search

K&N Air Filter worth it?

Hey everyone, new rider/new member. Been riding since the beginning of summer on an 06 R6. Im mechanically inclined/familiar with cars but not so much with bikes so excuse the newb'ness. Anyway, are the K&N air filters worth the money and install and if so will I need any kind of tuning adjustments? I do not have a power commander or any kind of tuning mods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 08:48 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

Yes it is worth it. From my perspective, just replace the OEM and you are good to go.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks man, Ive been browsing the forum and seen some mods mention tech day to learn about riding and maintenance tips. When and where does this go down?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 09:34 PM

Sportbike: KTM 690 SM
Years Riding: A little bit.
How you found us: I had the strangest dream.

Yep worth every penny. Just remember to clean it!
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 09:45 PM

Sportbike: 01 F4I
Years Riding: 2nd season
How you found us: google search

You will not notice a measureable change in performance, but its nice being able to clean the filter.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 11:47 PM

Sportbike: Triumph Bonneville...the original sportbike!
Years Riding: Since about 11 years after my adult teeth came in
How you found us: I tripped over ya on my way to the can!

First...I have K&N filters on every motorcycle I own. I've been using them since they first became available in the early '70's on my flat track bikes. They are not only excellent they literally pay for themselves after a few servicings...The only advice I would give you is that they really do increase airflow...especially when you eliminate the stock airbox and use the clamp on or "pod" types. This could lead to a slight leaning of the air/fuel mixture. It may not even be noticable but if it is and all else remains stock it should be as easy as a half turn or so on your mixture screw to make it right. On newer bikes (with carbs) the mixture screw(s) is/are made inaccessable with a plug. The plugs are easy to remove, usually by drilling the plug out or drilling a small hole and using a pick or awl to pull it out. On bikes with fuel injection chances are the computer will compensate for you, but if not consult your service manual.
The most common mistake made with K&N filters is over oiling them when servicing...No worries...about 10 miles at expressway speeds and the airflow will take care of the problem for you.

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 12:09 AM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Sportbike: 636/ zzr600/ r6
Years Riding: Since 07
How you found us: bathroom stall

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILGSXR View Post
You will not notice a measureable change in performance, but its nice being able to clean the filter.
You definitely are not in tune with your bike yet then. all my bikes run them and there is a noticeable change in things. Nothing that makes me say WOW holy shit but there is a change

go time traveler style and go back in time, fuck his grandma, then shoot forward in time and then fuck his mom. Then return back to present state and call him a the product of two incest whores and hes your son and show video of you plowing the both members of his family. .
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2M View Post
You definitely are not in tune with your bike yet then. all my bikes run them and there is a noticeable change in things. Nothing that makes me say WOW holy shit but there is a change
I know when I put them on all of my cars there was a noticeable difference in throttle response. Looks like I will be purchasing one next weekend. Thanks man.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 02:16 AM

Sportbike: 09 ninja 250
Years Riding: 2 months
How you found us: a member

Send a message via Yahoo to gixxer-mark
all my bikes run them and there is a noticeable change in things. Nothing that makes me say WOW holy shit but there is a change[/QUOTE]

Totally agree....definitely not a wow factor, but you will notice the change in performance.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 03:48 AM

Sportbike: Slow
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: a real person

Your R6 isn't fast enough? Seriously. Don't buy into all this noise about an airfilter making your bike faster.

Let me break it down to you... The piston moves up and down. The injectors squirt fuel down in the cumbustion chamber. The valves either allow fuel in or exhaust out... Air, fuel, exhaust.... Basically if you dont give the bike more fuel, more air means nothing. If you don't give the bike more exhaust, flow and fuel mean nothing. There has to be a match. Its all directly related. More fuel, more air, more exhaust. But be careful because you may tread water backwards. The Japanese engineer knew/knows what he's doing.

My question again... your R6 isn't fast enough?

You want to alter the air intake? Technically you should give it more fuel (power commander). You want good results from more air and more fuel? You need an exhaust... You with me? If that's not enough we are now bulding motors or buying 1000cc liter bikes.

But seriously... if that R6 isn't fast enough you have problems.

"I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles"
-Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
www.sportbiketracktime.com

Last edited by Grasshopper; 08-27-2012 at 03:52 AM.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 08:05 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
Your R6 isn't fast enough? Seriously. Don't buy into all this noise about an airfilter making your bike faster.

Let me break it down to you... The piston moves up and down. The injectors squirt fuel down in the cumbustion chamber. The valves either allow fuel in or exhaust out... Air, fuel, exhaust.... Basically if you dont give the bike more fuel, more air means nothing. If you don't give the bike more exhaust, flow and fuel mean nothing. There has to be a match. Its all directly related. More fuel, more air, more exhaust. But be careful because you may tread water backwards. The Japanese engineer knew/knows what he's doing.

You want to alter the air intake? Technically you should give it more fuel (power commander). You want good results from more air and more fuel? You need an exhaust... You with me? If that's not enough we are now building motors or buying 1000cc liter bikes.

Brilliant

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 08:16 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchnhd4 View Post
Hey everyone, new rider/new member. Been riding since the beginning of summer on an 06 R6. Im mechanically inclined/familiar with cars but not so much with bikes so excuse the newb'ness. Anyway, are the K&N air filters worth the money and install and if so will I need any kind of tuning adjustments? I do not have a power commander or any kind of tuning mods.

I tend to spend my money on fuel and rubber. Or save your pennies for track days, when you don't get spanked at Blackhawk by Grasshopper on a 250 Ninja, then you might want consider making mods. What's the saying? Oh yeah "it's 80% rider and 20% bike"

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 03:41 PM
Obsessed and Deranged

Sportbike: SV1000S
Years Riding: too many years
How you found us: dumb luck

they are great untill the oil dries out and all the dirt goes through, check the throttle plates for a red-brown coating of goo
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 03:50 PM

Sportbike: Triumph Bonneville...the original sportbike!
Years Riding: Since about 11 years after my adult teeth came in
How you found us: I tripped over ya on my way to the can!

elroy...shame on you...If you're experiencing the oil on your K&N filters drying out you're not servicing them at proper recommended intervals!

"Dirt is for racing on...Asphalt is for getting there" OR "Flat trackers go in deeper and come out harder... OR (With apologies to General MaCarthur) "Old motorcycle racers never die, they just slip off the groove and fade into the dust!

If you want to anger a conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a liberal all one must do is tell the truth!
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 04:41 PM
You got the talkin' done

Sportbike: 2016 Honda Africa Twin & 1979 Honda CB750F
Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!
How you found us: Loose Lips Sink Ships, Loose Wires Cause Fires

I wouldn't change the air filter unless it is time to do so. Otherwise, it is just looking for a way/reason to spend money.

If you ain't with us, then it's just bad news.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 05:01 PM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Quote:

You want to alter the air intake? Technically you should give it more fuel (power commander). You want good results from more air and more fuel? You need an exhaust... You with me? If that's not enough we are now bulding motors or buying 1000cc liter bikes.

Im with the hopper here. I forgot all three of my bikes have more stuff down so i needed to have a custom map for each one done

go time traveler style and go back in time, fuck his grandma, then shoot forward in time and then fuck his mom. Then return back to present state and call him a the product of two incest whores and hes your son and show video of you plowing the both members of his family. .
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 05:23 PM
lust for bikes!

Sportbike: a prostitute
Years Riding: a prostitute
How you found us: a prostitute

not interested in placebo hp gains. just interested in keeping a clean filter in my bike. one thing i will say is k&n oil filters are really nice if you have never tried one. the nut on the end makes it so much easier to change in a tight fit. ready for wire too. same price as oem.

"Why are all these people here? There are too many people on this earth. We need a new plague…"

"Thats it, nobody gets out of here alive."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobbins View Post
I agree completely with Steve (nouseforaname)
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 05:57 PM
Obsessed and Deranged

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimeBiker View Post
elroy...shame on you...If you're experiencing the oil on your K&N filters drying out you're not servicing them at proper recommended intervals!
i know better than to use one, but many years of working as a mechanic i have seen it dozens of times on other peoples bikes
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

No its fast enough no doubt. Just figured if i could get a little more oomph down low or throttle response for $50, why not? Id rather have the power and not need it incase of a situation I need to bail on like getting cut off or someone stealing my lane. But i get what your saying about the air fuel mixture, Ive built enough track cars. I wasnt sure how sensitive the computers are on bikes to compensate for a little extra air flow.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 01:29 AM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Quote:
No its fast enough no doubt. Just figured if i could get a little more oomph down low or throttle response for $50, why not? Id rather have the power and not need it incase of a situation I need to bail on like getting cut off or someone stealing my lane. But i get what your saying about the air fuel mixture, Ive built enough track cars. I wasnt sure how sensitive the computers are on bikes to compensate for a little extra air flow.
If you want alittle mor oomph then change your gearing in back and front

post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 02:53 AM

Sportbike: Slow
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: a real person

If you want more power build a motor. If you want to learn how to ride join the trackday crowd.

"I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles"
-Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
www.sportbiketracktime.com
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 07:36 AM

Sportbike: 2009 Triumph Street Triple R, 2011 Triumph Bonneville SE
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: web search

Remember way back that there was a post on the SV board that the stock Suzuki filter flowed as well as the aftermarket one without requiring mods to fuel.
the best bang for the buck that you will really feel would be new sprockets and chain. Gearing will literally give you tons of felt thrust and really wake up the bike. When I regeared my 600 for the track I was amazed at the acceleration increase.

Under200
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 08:07 AM

Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
Quote:
neither of those situations generally need more horsepower, rather they need more braking so you dont run into the back of the jackass

need more oomph, ride 1 gear lower, or replace sprockets like they suggested

-Jason
CCS AM #31
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 08:59 AM
Midnight Rider

Sportbike: R6 and a Z1000
Years Riding: for a bit
How you found us: random PM on sportbikes.net

Quote:
There is no situation that only a K&N air filter could get you out of.

Fat Pat #728

If you don't like my fire, then don't come around...
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 09:11 AM
Chief Apex Inspector

Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......

**IF** you are going to religiously maintain the filter .... a K&N is a good economical filter.

If you are not..... they dry out and cause issues as Elroy pointed out.

As for performance .... Nick is frothing at the mouth a little .....but correct as usual.

It will not provide a really meaningful power gain .... in fact they flow a little better but most bikes have lean issues as stock anyway .... and more air makes it worse.

A power commander and a good tune will make your bike **much** more rideable ....

Tom

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 09:46 AM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

Ya know whats worth it? - One of these....

SPAMBOT RULES !!!!!

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 11:04 AM
Obsessed and Deranged

Quote:
a better flowing air filter would have little to no effect down low compared to stock , the engines demand for airflow builds as the rpm's rise and the higher the RPM the more effect a better airfilter could have with all other factors being equal
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 11:49 AM
Gixxer Rider

Sportbike: K6 & K9 GSXR1000s
Years Riding: 12th season
How you found us: SBN

Better bang for your buck on the street would be to go +1 or 2 teeth on the rear sprocket. Or chain and track gearing like under200 said.

Track Junkie #79
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies everyone. Think ill wait on the air filter and put money towards better tires and brake lines. Sounds like itd be better to do the a/f with a tune or sprocket and chain instead. In either case id rather have control than speed. With a sprocket change, can speedos be calibrated? Guy at dgy said no. Riders just live with the incorrect reading. I know on cars its easy to compensate for a gear with quick ecu adjustment. I would think a bike with the technology isnt much different.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 01:57 PM

Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
speedo healers do exist

-Jason
CCS AM #31

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode