Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

04 R1 ticking noise after track day

6K views 42 replies 14 participants last post by  resurrection 
#1 ·
Last session at grattan i got flagged and pulled off the track, Track marshal told me that my bike was knocking really bad, but i could't hear anything till i removed my helmet and ear plugs, it was more of a ticking than knocking :(
I started doing some research about that tick and seems to be that the valves were the culprit, i used a stethoscope to make sure where the noise was coming from and yes, its coming by the valve cover more noticeable on the right side than the left, so finally yesterday started to taking the bike apart and confirmed the cylinder 2 and 3 are out of spec, but heres where starts getting hard for me to continue, i only was able to check the exhaust side on 2 n 3 and cyl 3 intake, i just can't find a thickness gauge with a thin blade to check the intake middle valve since the cavity is to small for my gauge, i really want to do this job by myself but i also want to do track day sept 1, i know its going to take me awhile to do this kinda job since my bike is stored far from my home (also will have to get a couple special tools to do the job right) Does anyone knows a good mechanic on here? I found a couple on craigslist but i dont want to take it to some guy that only do tires you know what i mean
Thanks

#2 ·
You'd trust your bike to a Craiglist mech.?

Take it to Ken @ Chicago Performance, he'll treat you right..

But careful he may get you into spandex sports..:laughing:

#21 ·
I don't know how Chicago Performance is, but I PMed him to see if he could mount new tires. He never responded back. So he lost a new customer, probably for life. I guess he's too busy? So good luck.

P.S.
I heard horror stories about Chicago Performance. Don't know if they're true, but just spreading the rumor.

#6 · (Edited)
A knock and a tic are 2 totally different things. A valve rarely ever gets more loose. The valve seats in farther and gets tighter over time with wear and heat. A tight valve doesn't make a tic or a knock unless it hits the piston and when that happens the game is over. One of the first tell tale signs of tight valves is hard starting.

How many miles on the R1?

What numbers were you getting on your clearances and were you following the procedure in the manual to get those numbers?

A knock loud enough to be heard by a corner worker is pretty major. You are talking about connecting rod bearings for a guy to hear a motor knock while you are riding and that requires the entire motor to come apart.

Ken will definetly be able to diagnosis the problem. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst my friend. I imagine he will go through the motions on a full diagnosis. Leak down test, compressrion test, valve clearance check. Hopefully you were able to get the bike back together so he can give it a listen before chasing his tail.

#9 ·
There is nothing more annoying for a mechanic to get a bike in his shop that is half taken apart by someone who is not a mechanic. And then having to listen to a diagnosis from that person. It was knock, no a tick... Oh I mean a grinding sound! LOL. IT'S BROKEN!!!
Being able to say I tried to fix it and got over my head to the mechanic is the first step to manning up and admitting defeat. Don't go in there acting like you know what you are taking about when you don't.

#10 · (Edited)
And to add to what Nick said to do....... if you have a spare filter, change it, and cut open the old one (can opener or filter cutter, don't use a hacksaw). A rod or main bearing will be obvious and look like silver / bronze glitter (dust sized all the way up to fish food flake size).

If you're up for an oil change, you can just dump the oil into a clean pan and look for debri.

Edit:// Sorry, what Ken will probably do is all the diagnostic. The filter is relatively easy to do at home.

#11 · (Edited)
Well said nick.
The trouble is many times I've heard bad rod bearings on a cold bike sound very different than a hot bike.
the noise they make seems to emanate from many places. As the piston energy goes up and has to stop at the top of its stroke it sends a slap of sound up through the top of the motor.

Trouble is, as with anything like this.It's just a guess until you find bad parts.

#20 ·
Seems I've ended more posts than most. Girls,Girls ,Girls.

#13 ·
I cracked a valve in my 2004 R1 with about 17,000 miles on it. It was always maintained but unfortunately __it happens. Pull the motor and find somebody who has experience. When I talked to my Yamaha mechanic about it, he never had an R1 motor apart.

#14 ·
Hmm seems to me every one would be a YAM R1 mech.

Junk second gear has put more of these bikes in the junk yard than any other brand.

My advice. sell it because with god as my witness you will need a new second gear the day after you put it back together........

HINT do the gear set now if you go in there.....

#17 ·
You didn't notice I saved that part of my story???

I'd rather not explain where all my knowledge comes from, if ya know what I mean....

#22 ·
^^^^Never miss interpret the customers one sided story when it comes to service.

#25 ·
Hey Tcmalker! Pick up the phone and call him. DuH! This board has been dead. I'm sure he isn't relying or even cares about relying on business off of CLSB. Especially considering the fact everyone wants shit for free or next to nothing. A tire mounting? Tiddly winks.

#26 ·
I got it. On vacation for the last week, and it was crazy nuts for the few days before that. This year I decided I would make the choice to concentrate on current business in my shop or solid regular customers I know that need something instead of immediately chasing what I call the "Price Checkers" which eat up roughly an hour a day. Sometimes it turns people off, especially when they are new to my shop, but I have to make tough decisions sometimes and take the sure bet on income.

The typical conversation goes like this:
"how much for a chain?"
"what bike" "what size" "what brand" "what length" "what model"
dipshit parts chaser looks up price (me)
"$88"
"Oooh fuck, seriously?"
"yeah, why?"
"Cycle Gear has one for $84 and no idea the brand and they don't install it, and ebay has one for $76, but I don't want to wait"
"Oh, OK, well it looks like you know what they cost already"
dipshit parts chaser goes back to working on bikes in back for service already

:lmao: :lmao:

I'll check tomorrow for the exact prices on those tires and installation and PM you back.

#32 ·
Hmm seems old Gus was never really out of line .

#34 ·
CP is 5 star to deal with - I've spent 10s of dollars with him over the years and never an issue getting me filters - If this was Yelp I'd say he could fuck my sister but seeing as it is not.......get to tuggin Kenny

Reactions: Chicago Performance
#36 ·
I actually made a few dollars and he didn't care. .
Whoa WHoa WHOOOOA?..............You did WHAT?

Carry Harley shit Bro and I'll keep a steady flow of sub $20 orders once a year coming your way

#38 ·
The People ask and he responds

/thread

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.