Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Trickle Charger question

633 views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Chills 
#1 ·
I have a no-name battery tender, about 4 years old, with the big clips, no pig tails. On the old bike I would just lift the seat off, battery right there, hook up to the terminals, done. On the ST3, you have to remove the right side fairings, both on them.....arrrrghhhhh, I would like to get the BMW male adapter, take the clips off the tender, and trickle charge the battery thru the power outlet on the duc, possible? Anyone know?

Or should I jury rig some kind of pigtail thru the fairings?

#2 ·
Rick, don't be such a cheap-ass and go buy a regular Battery Tender. They are like $40. You hook the ends to the terminal and then you don't ever have to unhook them. There's a quick release disconnect on the cord from the terminal connectors to the Battery Tender.

Voila, problem solfed. :D

#3 · (Edited)
Rick,
That's exactly what I did. I added fused power outlets to charge my CP when away from home and they double as quick disconnect connectors for a trickle charger (winter storage)...
You can find the water-proof cigarette lighter plugs (both male and female) at walmart/kmart and make your own adapters. When you're done charging just re-install the rubber plug. IMO, this is better for me because I don't want to have extra cords attached to my battery...the cigarette lighter plug can be used to charge the battery or power other 12v accessorie(s).

#4 ·
Chills said:
Rick, don't be such a cheap-ass and go buy a regular Battery Tender. They are like $40. You hook the ends to the terminal and then you don't ever have to unhook them. There's a quick release disconnect on the cord from the terminal connectors to the Battery Tender.

Voila, problem solfed. :D
:rofl $40.00 how about $4.99 at harborfreighttools. com, regular price 16.99 I have had one for over 3 years, just picked up two more at the open house price of $4.99 each. Picked up what I need at Radio Trash for another $4, 5 minutes of effort, I have what I need;) $40.......damn right I'm cheap:laughing

#9 ·
Sticky said:
I thought that the ST series had a provision for battery chargers, a hook up off of the wiring harness I mean. Check some of the Duc specific boards, I'm pretty sure that I read something like that.
Nick your right, the problem is it's a specfic ducati connector, just like they use on their fuse box connection, they have their own tender, @$150.

#11 ·
150 lira is like...14 cents Sticky. Lira is the equivalent of expressing all money in the states in pennies. Aren't they on the Euro yet?

150 bucks for a battery tender is pretty dang pricey. Did your idea work Rick?

#12 ·
RickC1957 said:
:rofl $40.00 how about $4.99 at harborfreighttools. com, regular price 16.99 I have had one for over 3 years, just picked up two more at the open house price of $4.99 each. Picked up what I need at Radio Trash for another $4, 5 minutes of effort, I have what I need;) $40.......damn right I'm cheap:laughing

Damn thats cheap, does it have the circuitry to switch back and forth between float and equalize automaticially to make sure it doesnt boil the battery?

#14 ·
HDTony said:
Damn thats cheap, does it have the circuitry to switch back and forth between float and equalize automaticially to make sure it doesnt boil the battery?
Yep... in fact the tender I have was mentioned on Ship Shape, a TV show on boat maintainence. They went thru all kinds of batteries and chargers, the "expert" said for under $17.00 one of the best valves on the market:) I have had the thing for almost 4 years, never boiled a battery. It is not a charger, won't chrager a dead battery, just maintains and floats it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.